Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts
I get antsy in movies, period, no matter how short or long they are. I did notice a very fast pace in this one.
Old 06-13-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back and I thought it was okay, I actually thought Ang Lees was alittle better ( Hulk looked better, Jennifer Connely ) Liv Tyler was pretty awful in the movie and was she was pretty bland. Norton just didnt feel like he fit the part well. Them too had no chemistry either.

Problem is if you seen the trailer or tv ads you have seen the movie. Every action scene is shown in the trailer and Tony Starks appearance is ruined by being in the TV ads.

The opening was excellent though, the stuff in Brazil and the first time he changes into the Hulk and you don't see him is excellent though. Liked the opening stuff in the factory. Great stuff there. But other then that I found the movie pretty average. I heard that the Final Fight in this was too put the Final battle in transformers to shame but I didn't find the final battle that good. For being in New York I couldn't tell where they were suppose to be. Didn't feel like New York. Abomination did look pretty cool though but got defeated pretty easily and quick.

Loved seeing the Stark Industries logo pop up in the movie and Seeing Tony Stark was great. But this movie didnt do anything for me. Didnt care for the look of the hulk though. Effects were decent but not any better then the 2003 Hulk.

6/10
Old 06-13-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't know for me EN is kind of ... gentle in his mannerisms, and that's not how I picture BB. I can see The Hulk emanating from EB but not from EN.
I always felt that Banner is supposed to be potrayed almost like Mac that gets sand kicked in his face in the Charles Atlas ads.

Don't know where you get that Banner is some hunky guy.
Old 06-13-08, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the Hulk movies is that the television program from the '70s did a hell of a lot better job with a live action Hulk than a CG one. I also think that Bill Bixby set the bar so high for the Banner part that even Edward Norton can't compare.

The TV show was compelling TV. The films don't compare on plotting, pacing, action, or even the dramatic human element. "Hulk SMASH!" just doesn't do it for me.
Old 06-13-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
The problem with the Hulk movies is that the television program from the '70s did a hell of a lot better job with a live action Hulk than a CG one. I also think that Bill Bixby set the bar so high for the Banner part that even Edward Norton can't compare.

The TV show was compelling TV. The films don't compare on plotting, pacing, action, or even the dramatic human element. "Hulk SMASH!" just doesn't do it for me.

Hey were are the reviews for seasons 3 and 4 of the Tv-Show?

I just finished most of it and dam good picture and sound all around.

I am going a write a review of those seasons sometime next-week if anyone wants a review.

Last edited by cranberries fan; 06-13-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 06:22 PM
Banned

Is Tony Stark as Iron Man in the movie and what does he do?
Old 06-13-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
Spoiler:
Just as Tony Stark (not Iron Man) and it's only about a 1 minute scene, where he talks to Ross. It is implied that he wants to recruit Hulk for the Avenger Initiative.
Old 06-13-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the movie was pretty damn good but not amazing. I found the first 25 minutes went by pretty slowly and the lack of dialogue and bad ADR in those parts grated...but then it explodes and doesn't look back. I thought the cast was great and Norton and Tyler did a great job with the limited material they had.

Some more character development could have been nice, but I liked that it didn't bog down too much in that and just delivered the action. The CG isn't always great but most of the time it's passable. I liked the length of the film and thought if it was any longer it would have been overkill, so I was glad when it was over. Worth seeing and more slam bang action than the previous Hulk. Not on par with Iron Man but still a damn good time.
Old 06-13-08, 07:05 PM
Banned

Its good. Nothing spectacular or anything. No Iron Man. 7.25/10
Old 06-13-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Currently at 64% on RT. The Hulk 2003 is at 61%. Interesting.
Old 06-13-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a lot of fun. Much better than the last movie. Good meaty scenes and enjoyable action.
Loved the Bill Bixby clip on the TV at the beginning.
Old 06-13-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,652 Posts
I thought this blew away Ang Lee's version by a mile. I recall I dosed off several times watching the previous version. But, then again it depends if you are more interested in an action-adventure oriented film or a character-driven movie. From an action standpoint, I was very entertained from start to finish. I thought Norton was a much better version of Banner and more closer to Bixby's version than Bana.

In a way I kind of understand Norton's point of view that he wanted to flesh out the characters more. I thought there was a little lack of character development between Banner and Betty as well as General Ross. But, the movie still worked for me.

I'm not as nit picky as some of you about the quality of the CG Hulk. I thought the animators did a good job with it and the Abomination.

Much faster pacing than the previous version and some cool special effects along with several odes to the TV series make me give this a solid B+

Hopefully Marvel and Norton will compromise their differences and at least release an extended version of the film on DVD along with the theatrical cut.
Old 06-13-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought this blew away Ang Lee's version by a mile. I recall I dosed off several times watching the previous version. But, then again it depends if you are more interested in an action-adventure oriented film or a character-driven movie. From an action standpoint, I was very entertained from start to finish. I thought Norton was a much better version of Banner and more closer to Bixby's version than Bana.

In a way I kind of understand Norton's point of view that he wanted to flesh out the characters more. I thought there was a little lack of character development between Banner and Betty as well as General Ross. But, the movie still worked for me.

I'm not as nit picky as some of you about the quality of the CG Hulk. I thought the animators did a good job with it and the Abomination.

Much faster pacing than the previous version and some cool special effects along with several odes to the TV series make me give this a solid B+

Hopefully Marvel and Norton will compromise their differences and at least release an extended version of the film on DVD along with the theatrical cut.
Just a mile? How about ten! And I hate saying that. Because I think Ang Lee is a true genius. "Hulk" was just a minor misstep in his beautiful career. And I think Eric Bana was a great choice for the role, too. But Edward Norton is my favorite actor. And he really nailed this part IMO. Thumbs way up.
Old 06-13-08, 09:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm still mulling this over, but it was okay, not great.
Old 06-13-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was good, but far from spectacular and a certain step down from Iron Man.

I'm kind of surprised with the pure action, balls to the wall descriptions of Hulk. It's got a lot of action, but I thought it took a while to get going and had a lot more story than I expected.

A quick question for folks familiar with the comics:
Spoiler:
Is the scientist that "created" Abomination a more important character later in comics? Obviously we saw his head morph a bit and he looked alive, I was surprised they didn't have any follow up to that in the movie.
Old 06-13-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I really liked it. I thought the final battle was truly excellent.

You can definitely feel the loss of footage, but it is edited quite well and the pacing is good. The "Norton" version will be a very successfull DVD for Marvel. It is brilliant viral marketing.

Interestingly, first movie of the summer where the audience really enthusiastically clapped.
Old 06-13-08, 10:01 PM

so are we to expect the next Iron Man/Incredible Hulk movie will be the crossover of the two?
Old 06-13-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^That's The Avengers, which Marvel has slated after Iron Man 2 comes out.
Old 06-13-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BravesMG
A quick question for folks familiar with the comics:
Spoiler:
Is the scientist that "created" Abomination a more important character later in comics? Obviously we saw his head morph a bit and he looked alive, I was surprised they didn't have any follow up to that in the movie.
Spoiler:
In the comics, Sterns becomes the Leader. He is like the Hulk, except he has brains instead of muscles. He can't match the Hulk physically, so he uses robots or rays or other things he creates against him.
Old 06-13-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Just got back from seeing this. I went in with pretty low expectations and came out very pleasantly surprised. I thought all the actors were great, Norton, Tyler, Hurt, and Roth all did pretty good with the material they had to work with.

The Bill Bixby, Lou Ferrigno, and Stan Lee appearances all went over pretty big with the audience I was with.

I thought the CGI effects were quite good (especially the rainstorm scene) and just accpeted the fact that that's about as good as this kind of effect is going to look, even if it's not perfect.

I do have to say I'm quite disappointed with the recent Tony Stark ads they've been playing on TV recently. I would have been caught off guard and pleasantly surprised by the final scene had I not known. As it stands, I was expecting it was and it totally lacked the excitement I think the filmmakers were going for.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-13-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Just got back from seeing this. I went in with pretty low expectations and came out very pleasantly surprised. I thought all the actors were great, Norton, Tyler, Hurt, and Roth all did pretty good with the material they had to work with.

I thought the CGI effects were quite good (especially the rainstorm scene) and just accpeted the fact that that's about as good as this kind of effect is going to look, even if it's not perfect.

I do have to say I'm quite disappointed with the recent Tony Stark ads they've been playing on TV recently. I would have been caught off guard and pleasantly surprised by the final scene had I not known. As it stands, I was expecting it was and it totally lacked the excitement I think the filmmakers were going for.
to put it on the TV spots does seem like a let down, it also didn't help that the scene should have been after the credits, since Iron Man had the Samuel Jackson scene there and that reaction was incredible - here, the scene seems very forced and feels like a bad edit
Old 06-13-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This movie was the most unbelievable piece of trash I've ever seen...

Spoiler:
C'mon, are we to really believe that Bruce Banner gets cut, a drop of blood falls in a bottle and it just 'happens' to get delivered to Stan Lee's house? He CREATED the Incredible Hulk...that is just so improbable, this is where the movie really nuked the fridge for me.
Old 06-13-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
it also didn't help that the scene should have been after the credits, since Iron Man had the Samuel Jackson scene there and that reaction was incredible - here, the scene seems very forced and feels like a bad edit
It most definitely should have been after the credits (which is where I was originally expecting it). The film should have ended with Banner meditating in his cabin after his eyes turned green and he smiled at the camera. The Tony Stark scene would have worked perfectly after the credits.
Old 06-13-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix

Spoiler:
C'mon, are we to really believe that Bruce Banner gets cut, a drop of blood falls in a bottle and it just 'happens' to get delivered to Stan Lee's house? He CREATED the Incredible Hulk...that is just so improbable, this is where the movie really nuked the fridge for me.
This was a joke, I hope.
Old 06-13-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Oh come on... it was a cool cameo by Lee (as he does with all Marvel movies) and an interesting and different way to get him in there. If that's the reason you quantify it as an "unbelievable piece of trash", then I don't know what else to say. I mean, we are talking about a movie where a normal guy turns into a green giant and fights another monster in New York City... right?

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
This was a joke, I hope.
I hope so as well, lol. But isn't that why the Internet gods made the wink smilie?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.