Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Caught a matinée this morning and enjoyed it decently enough. It's no Iron Man, but I think it did a solid job of bringing the character back on the screen and keeping it interesting for the public after Ang's version, which I enjoyed as well.

To me, it certainly felt like something was missing like others mentioned. Like it didn't have the "cool" that Iron Man had throughout the entire flick. I didn't really care for the quick origin overview during the credits, and I was disappointed in the lack of any character development. There also seems to be a bit of a lull in certain points as Banner continuously moves and runs. Still, the action was great, and unlike everyone else here, I thought the first action scene in Brazil was fairly boring and run of the mill, keeping the characters in shadows in hidden. I'm glad the rest of the scenes went full bore showing the Hulk in all his fighting glory. The end fight was great, and every punch and slam felt real and brutal to me.

Plus, hearing "Hulk smash" put a big grin on my face.

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-14-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
I dont understand why people say the CGI looked bad? Whats the bench mark? Kong, Gollum, Jar Jar?
Old 06-14-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 356 Posts
The Incredible Hulk kicks ass!

That was just about everything I ever wanted from a Hulk movie. The action scenes were great, there was character development, and the plot was solid. The CGI was better than in Ang Lee's movie, and the acting (I thought) was pretty good. Liv Tyler really hit home when General Ross orders the attack against Bruce at the school, to me she was as genuine as possible there - she really seemed both distraught and terrified for Bruce with her pleas for her father to stop. Tim Roth was perfect for his role, and both Edward Norton and William Hurt were good.

I liked Ang Lee's movie, but it was seriously flawed and had a horrific mess of an ending.

This version kicks all sorts of ass over that one. The Incredible Hulk is the real deal. Marvel is on a roll.
Old 06-14-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Just saw it and really liked it a lot - it is the Hulk film I've been wanting to see. As for Ang Lee's 2003 version, my basic criticism of that one is: "it is too much of an arthouse film for the comic book crowd, and too much of a comic book film for the arthouse crowd." But this new one is all comic book film, as the Hulk should be, and it delivers!
Old 06-14-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Leader...

Though sometimes he looks green, sometimes blue, sometimes has a testicle-head, but sometimes looks like he does above (which I prefer). Hmmm...maybe THAT'S where 'hanging brain' came from...
Old 06-14-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,696 Posts
I really liked Banner's line in the soda factory that sorta paid tribute to the TV series.

"Don't make me hungry, You won't like me when I'm Hungry"

Also, did anyone catch in the final scene where:

Spoiler:

Banner was in his cabin in Canada and had a letter addressed to "David B" as Banner was called David in the TV series.

Old 06-14-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone catch the name of the diner? It was called "Stanly's" which actually means "Stan Lee's"

So what was the final line of dialogue that the Hulk said to Betty? I missed it...
Old 06-14-08, 09:40 PM

Received 823 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I liked Ang Lee's movie, but it was seriously flawed and had a horrific mess of an ending.
When ever I watch the 2003 version, I always turn it off after Betty and Hulk meet in San Francisco.

Just like I turn off A.I. when David is sitting in front of The Blue Fairy.
Old 06-14-08, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
When ever I watch the 2003 version, I always turn it off after Betty and Hulk meet in San Francisco.

Just like I turn off A.I. when David is sitting in front of The Blue Fairy.
Ha! I do that too when I watch A.I. A much better place for the ending, IMO.

As for Ang Lee's Hulk, I turn the TV off as soon as it begins!
Old 06-14-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Oh snap. I forgot Doc Samson was in this. Not sure if his character could get stretched well enough for this franchise since he didn't seem to leave much of a mark in this installment. But we'll see.

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
The Leader...

Though sometimes he looks green, sometimes blue, sometimes has a testicle-head, but sometimes looks like he does above (which I prefer). Hmmm...maybe THAT'S where 'hanging brain' came from...
I actually perfer him as testicle-head, but his blockhead look is too identifiable even if people don't even know his name. They're sure to stick with that look.

BTW, the crowd I saw it with gave an enthusiastic cheer for Hulk's shockwave. What were your crowd-approval reactions?
Old 06-14-08, 10:34 PM

That was one of my biggest disappointments, the lack of Doc Sampson.

They didn't even play the part in the previews where Bruce and Doc sit down and Sampson tells him to see a shrink and Bruce says, "It's a bit more complicated than that."

I expect the Blu-Ray will have an hour or so of extra footage which will help tell the 'rest of the story' that leads up to the Avengers Assemblage.

I heard a rumor that there's supposed to be some secret cameo in Captain America. Who could it be? I would originally guess Namor, but seeing the early shots of Wolverine: Origins, I would guess Logan pops in for a quickie. Which would also rock ass if they put James on the New Avengers lineup.
Old 06-14-08, 10:35 PM

Pictogram for Mondo...

Old 06-14-08, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

I saw it as a 1/4 full showing this evening. Overall, I thought the Ang Lee version was superior. The only part I thought was better was Tim Roth as Blonsky/Abomination - finally a good villain. Norton and Tyler actually had some chemistry too, which made the point that Betty is essential to Bruce/Hulk. Tim Blake Nelson was very entertaining as Sterns/Mr. Blue.

I would be interested to see the 3 hour version Norton had in mind. I thought that this edit was a little short on dialogue and too heavy on the action. This version felt like a condensed version and too much of a TV show for my tastes.

Oh and I wish the Tony Stark cameo had been kept after the credits. It just didn't fit well as the final scene.
Old 06-14-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's what I'd like to see in the next movie...

But then I've always liked Doc Samson. He makes a great counterpoint to the Hulk - he's an intellectual who overthinks his battles with the Hulk, where the Hulk is pure aggression without much thought.

(The quote from the first cover is hilariously outdated, but it's a great issue anyway.)
Old 06-14-08, 11:24 PM
Banned

I'd like to see HULK vs. THE THING in the next movie.
Old 06-15-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't connect with it. I don't know. I just didn't enjoy it that much. I didn't think it was terrible by any means but I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't felt let down. I guess If I had to give it a letter grade I'd probably drop it somewhere squarely in the middle (a C grade).
Old 06-15-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Saw it last night & have to say the best way to describe the movie is just . . . . "meh." While enjoyed the fluff that it was, I find it hard to believe people are raving about the film b/c it is just utterly unspectacular without offering anything new in any way whatsover.

There is just no substance with this movie. I am so bored to death by CG characters throwing cars around, which felt like really all this movie was. Norton IMO seemed kind of bored with the role, Liv Tyler IMO one of the worste actresses alive, Hurt was miscast. Roth, I'm bias b/c I just love the guy, & I felt like he was the only actor trying to have fun with his role.

I did LOVE the first scene with the hulk, at the point in the film I was really psyched for a good film but it went downhill from there. Like someone else mentioned, the ENTIRE movie seemed to be in the trailer, except for the first Hulk scene.

I do really, really, really, love the Stark cameo at the end, the idea of Marvel films tying into each other is such geeky bliss, but at the same time the 30 so seconds of Downey summed up what was missing with the Hulk as a film. The presence of Downey, an actor you can tell is just cherishing his role, is more presence than anyone in the Hulk had. Iron Man as a character was fresh, fun on screen. Hulk is just another CGI effect flipping cars around.

Basically I walked out of the theater more excited for the Hellboy trailer I've seen about 5 times now.
I had fairly lengthy review in mind, but you hit all the points I wanted to make impeccably. Some of the action was well-done, but it was difficult to give a shit due the overuse of shoddy CGI but most due to the lack of good character work - I just didn't care about what was going on.

I didn't hate it, but I certainly liked Ang Lee's Hulk much better - better acting/actors, better script, better CG/effects, better directing/editing, and even better action - it may have had less action per % of running-time compared to this new one, but it had just as much action overall, and done better.
Old 06-15-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I had fairly lengthy review in mind, but you hit all the points I wanted to make impeccably. Some of the action was well-done, but it was difficult to give a shit due the overuse of shoddy CGI but most due to the lack of good character work - I just didn't care about what was going on.

I didn't hate it, but I certainly liked Ang Lee's Hulk much better - better acting/actors, better script, better CG/effects, better directing/editing, and even better action - it may have had less action per % of running-time compared to this new one, but it had just as much action overall, and done better.
Wow, I felt just the opposite of that. I thought the action was MUCH better done in the new one. For one thng, the Hulk couldn't run like the Flash like he did in Ang Lee's movie (which the Hulk couldn't do in the comics, either).

I also thought the CGI looked more realistic this time. The Hulk had more weight to him.

The only actor I think was significantly better in Ang Lee's movie was Sam Elliott as General Ross, but William Hurt did a fine job.

I also thought there were some nice character development moments - but some of that came without dialogue, so it was more subtle. But how much character development do you need? This is a franchise that goes back over 45 years! Hundreds of issues of The Incredible Hulk comic book, almost 100 episodes of the TV show, multiple different cartoons, and a previous movie just 5 years ago. At a certain point character development can become repetitive and redundant.

I thought this movie came really close to getting the balance right.

And this one was a hell of a lot more fun than Ang Lee's movie. I like that movie - a lot - but it isn't nearly as much fun as this one.

This is one I'll see in the theater again. (I haven't seen a movie twice in the theaters in several years...)
Old 06-15-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I didn't connect with it. I don't know. I just didn't enjoy it that much. I didn't think it was terrible by any means but I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't felt let down. I guess If I had to give it a letter grade I'd probably drop it somewhere squarely in the middle (a C grade).
Me too. I liked it in general. I just wasn't blown away by it. And it took too long to get to the first appearance of the HULK. And even then, he was really obscured.

Originally Posted by slop101
I wouldn't go so far as to say the first one was better. It might have been better if there was no mutant dog fight and no father turning into Absorbing Man plotline. I'm just not sure how much better this new film is. Not by much.
Old 06-15-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The only actor I think was significantly better in Ang Lee's movie was Sam Elliott as General Ross, but William Hurt did a fine job.
I agree. I also thought Jennifer Connelly was a better Betty. I think the only movie I liked Liv Tyler in was "That Thing You Do!"

I thought this movie came really close to getting the balance right.
I think this movie still had too many character moments. I'm sure Ed Norton fought for it. But, the character moments weren't that compelling. And it sure slowed down the first 1/3 of the film.
Old 06-15-08, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Incredible Hulk is tied with Iron Man for best movie of the year. I was more excited for Indy IV then Hulk/Iron Man and thought it sucked while being blown away by Incredible Hulk & Iron Man. Thumbs up here!
Old 06-15-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm one of the few that absolutely loved Ang Lee's Hulk. Although the movie had it's flaws, as someone who read Marvel comics faithfully as a kid in the 70's, I still hold that the desert base scene of Ang Lee's movie is still the single best, most kick-ass screen adaptation of a silver-age Marvel comics classic action sequence ever put to film.

To me, where Incredible Hulk suffered a bit was in Hurt's General Ross. He was too sinister in this new one, and I didn't really feel like he cared for Betty at all. Whereas in Ang Lee's Hulk, I really liked Sam Elliott's Ross, and I bought the conflict of his genuine concern and love for his daughter, and his obsession with the Hulk. That didn't come across nearly as well in this film, IMO.

I was also a bit disappointed in The Abomination. I just wish they would have kept his look and mannerisms from the comics, and not gone with the generic, savage monster that we got in this movie.

But overall, I like the story and action in this one, Ed Norton was fine and I found the film in general to be another solid Marvel movie. I still feel the first one was a better film, but this was a fine companion piece, IMO.
Old 06-15-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts
I didn't get what exactly happened to the Abomination at the end - he got beat up, and then just gave up. He didn't look unconscious or anything, and after the Hulk leaves, what's keeping him from wreaking more havoc? It's not like they can detain him.
Old 06-15-08, 11:42 AM
Banned

SO, who wants to start a thread with a poll asking "Which Hulk film is the best: 2003 or 2008 versions?"
Old 06-15-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Saw it yesterday with a buddy of mine.

We both really liked it.

Spoiler:
Hooray for hinting at an appearance from Leader

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.