Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
He's off my ignore list simply because his posts have crossed the border and are now firmly in the land of the absurd. It's hilarious.

Speed Racer was an OK movie and it does slightly bother me when it makes under $50MM and stuff like Alvin and the Chipmunks makes much more. It's not Catwoman or Hudson Hawk, but I can't continually defend it since it had a lot of flaws.
Old 05-19-08, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the SPEED RACER movie failed what happens to the toys at the stores?
Is there a slash in prices like half off?
Anybody remember what stores do with movie toys that don't sell?
Old 05-19-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Since the SPEED RACER movie failed what happens to the toys at the stores?
Is there a slash in prices like half off?
Anybody remember what stores do with movie toys that don't sell?
Don't they end up at "Big Lots" stores, or other thrifty stores of the same ilk?
Old 05-19-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can give a partial answer, based on personal experience. I work at Walgreens during my summers off from school, and we marked the Speed Racer Toys 75% off. I really enjoyed the movie, so I promptly purchased all 10 Hot Wheels Cars that were released for $0.74, plus a 15% discount for being an employee.

I dunno if all Walgreens are doing that, but I would imagine most of them are putting any and everything Speed Racer on clearance/sale.
Old 05-19-08, 08:40 PM
Banned

My girlfriend works at Toys R US in Columbus. She said she hasn't seen one Speed Racer thing sell at her register but the Batman toys are already flying off the shelf. Of course Joker is no where to be seen anymore in her store.
Old 05-20-08, 05:06 AM
Banned

That's some real sad news that even the SPEED RACER toys don't sell.
I remember as a kid all boys liked cool cars to play with.
I wonder how many of those SPEED RACER helmets sold which looked kind dumb.
Old 05-20-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
My girlfriend works at Toys R US in Columbus. She said she hasn't seen one Speed Racer thing sell at her register but the Batman toys are already flying off the shelf. Of course Joker is no where to be seen anymore in her store.

That's because kids don't know what Speed Racer is.
Old 05-21-08, 11:06 AM

I can't wait for the new Sex in the City Movie its sounds like its going to be soo good. Jennifer Hudson is in it, so now it has real star power behind it. I entered this contest to see if I could go to the premiere

http://www.totalassault.com/contests...w4qsuit/01494/

I love that movie, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun it had helenhunt and the lead actor was so HOT.
Old 05-21-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeditalk
I never noticed that before.
Old 05-21-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
That's too bad because I was in Kmart the other day looking at toys and the Mach 5 and Mach 6 toys are kickass, especially the large scale versions.

But I agree that kids today don't really know who Speed Racer is. But then again based on what I've seen over the years it seems kids aren't the ones buying this stuff it's Older Fanboys and the like. I'll bet adults are buying the Batman stuff too.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-21-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Speed Racer was an OK movie and it does slightly bother me when it makes under $50MM and stuff like Alvin and the Chipmunks makes much more.
That's because of little kids. Little kids can understand the concept of talking rodents. They can't understand the concept of over two hours of talking, dead brothers, flashbacks, qualifying race, big losing race, race this race you're not supposed to race, race the final race, over. Also, it's Japanese, whereas Chipmunks was in the US, at least.

Hence, Chipmunks success, Speed epic fail.
Old 05-21-08, 02:26 PM
Banned

ALso i was talking to my girlfriend again last night and I guess they are giving away free Speed Racer t-shirts at Toys R US with the purchase of $25 worth of Speed Racer toys.
This might be a YMMV sort of thing so if anyone is interested you definitely wanna call first or whatever before heading out.
Old 05-21-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mopower
That's because kids don't know what Speed Racer is.
I gave my brother (he was ~8 at the time) the Vol. 1 set for the series a few years ago and he half-watched one episode. He probably thought it was too old-fashioned or whatnot. But recently I had him start to record Top Gear and he caught an episode of Speed Racer on TV. I thought since then he'd seen the DVD set completely but when the movie began he told me seen each episode at least 4 times.

He liked the movie but not as much as Transformers or Cloverfield.
Old 05-21-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
That's because of little kids. Little kids can understand the concept of talking rodents. They can't understand the concept of over two hours of talking, dead brothers, flashbacks, qualifying race, big losing race, race this race you're not supposed to race, race the final race, over.
I'm sure they can understand. We're talking about Speed Racer, not Syriana.
Old 05-21-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I can't wait for the Dora the Explorer version of Syriana though, they may get Clooney to reprise his role.

Figured I'd (try to) take this thread in that direction.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-21-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Why do so many people assume Sex and the City will be a hit?

It's a cult show from a pay cable channel that has a relatively small audience. It's not that different from Firefly going to the big screen, and we all know how that went at the box office.

I'm not saying it's going to bomb, necessarily, because the budget is relatively small, but it's not going to be some runaway hit. The audience for the show wasn't all that big, and I don't see the movie suddenly converting a couple million new fans.

It should do respectable business considering that it is a movie based on a pay cable TV show, but I can't see it making more than $50 million at most at the box office (someone flag this post to bring it up later if the movie hits $100+ million, and then make fun of my "predictions" ).

Just doing as you asked
Old 06-02-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Just doing as you asked
Thanks!

(I noted on the box office thread for this weekend that I just don't get the appeal of SATC. I'm still surprised that a pay cable TV show turned out such a big opening weekend. Of course, it hasn't hit $100 million yet.... )