Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 11:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Sex and the City will do great box office.
I wasn't a fan of the show, but its May release is a good date. It seems to be a rarity - a well written and directed romantic comedy. Plus, it is probably the most high profile release of the summer to appeal to women primarily. That audience was the core audience for Knocked Up, Prada, and Hairspray.

Unlike other TV to film adaptations, SATC was a mainstream hit. That will also help its total BO.
Old 05-12-08, 11:57 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Man, people just make up numbers left and right.

Batman Begins:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...tmanbegins.htm

Domestic:
$205,343,774
Foreign:
$166,510,009

Total: $371,853,783

Opening weekend:
$48,745,440
Seantn was being sarcastic, obviously.
Old 05-13-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Seantn was being sarcastic, obviously.
With the way people are talking on this thread, some here might say something like that seriously.
Old 05-13-08, 05:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jericho
You do realize that the last two summers have seen the following movies released:

Hairspray $118,871,849
The Devil Wears Prada $124,740,460

You can make money not appealing to pure action or comedy
That's for the heads up reminder.
But those 2 films were aimed at women 24 and under.
SEX & CITY is for like over 40.
Old 05-13-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
That's excessive. I mean Hairspray, a retro comedy musical is acceptable to 24 years olds, but Sex and the City isn't? I'd think the city life from a female perspective would appeal to twenty somethings. Not to mention, the chracters on the show are generally meant to be in their 30s (except I suppose Samantha?). Why only the appeal to 40 plus women?
Old 05-13-08, 07:22 AM
Suspended

Ha, my 17 year old sister watches Sex And The City on TBS all the time.
Old 05-13-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Saw on the news this morning that fans are upset that they held the Sex and the City premiere in London rather than NYC. Does seem like an odd thing to do.
Old 05-13-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Saw on the news this morning that fans are upset that they held the Sex and the City premiere in London rather than NYC. Does seem like an odd thing to do.
Really? Interesting, I thought a NYC premier was a no brainer.
Old 05-13-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just read that Sex and the City is 142 minutes long...holy shit, that's a long rom/com.
Old 05-13-08, 08:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
heard an ad on the TV this morning..

"See Speed Racer! America's #1 family movie!"

Old 05-13-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I just read that Sex and the City is 142 minutes long...holy shit, that's a long rom/com.
That's like half a season on TV.
Old 05-13-08, 09:48 AM

if you Google search Sex and the City, it says the running time is 135 minutes.
Old 05-13-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

What!? Says who? What a ridiculous thing to say. Women of all ages
love "SATC". And "Hairspray" and "Prada" wasn't geared towards the
under 24 crowd.
Old 05-13-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meryl Streep doesn't appeal to women over 40?
Old 05-13-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I used to watch it all the time a few years ago, when I was around 25. The only reason I haven't seen all eps is lack of time, I love the show, and once I get done with The X-Files it's on my To Do List.

Mom likes it also (60s), so it appeals to a wide range of ages. A bunch of 30-something year olds where I work are hooked on it (30, 33, 35).
Old 05-13-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Yes, I did, and I loved both of them. I don't mind philosophy and unanswered questions in my movies.

IF I hadn't liked them, the Bros don't owe me anything. If I don't like them, I just won't watch them again! If a director keeps putting out movies *I* don't like, I might skip future ones, but it would be silly to wish their movies do badly.

Chanster, did you watch Speed Racer?
No I didn't and if I had come into a Speed Racer thread and starting talking shit about, I am the ass. This is a box office figure thread, and I actively root for shit movies to bomb. And I say Speed Racer looks like shit to me, because it doesn't appeal to me at all, and it looks like CGI nirvana, and yes honestly I hate CGI fests and actively root for them to fail so good movies can be produced.

A true bomb is pretty rare nowadays because the marketing people can suck enough idiots into the theaters to recoup most of their investment. Not with this clunker though, good job Warner....

And please don't go around harping on "International Box Office" will not make it a bomb. Its a bomb.
Old 05-14-08, 05:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seantn
Don't accuse wm lopez of not knowing what he's talking about! He obviously has done deep studies and market research to find out who watches what. If you look at his posting history you'll know that he never says something that doesn't make sense.
Don't you think the young women went to see the young actress not Streep?
Old 05-14-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Have you seen Speed Racer?
Yes. It sucks.

No way in hell it's better than Iron Man, and I hate the comic Iron Man, so it takes a lot to make me happy with a movie like that.
Old 05-14-08, 09:50 PM

Ways to Make Speed Racer Not Suck

Here's a thought...over two hours of this shit is way too much, and the swirling colors at the beginning and end make you want to puke.

Secondly, cut out 90% of the Spritle shit, because he sucks, his character sucks and they're annoying. The part where they're in the hallway? Annoying as hell, probably only in there to break up the bad guy soliloquy that was long as fuck, also could have been trimmed. The cartoon fight scene...? Cut all that crap and boom, under 2 hours.

The movie is called Speed Racer, but it's pretty obvious the best character in the movie is Racer X. The guy is a badass, so focus on him, considering he is WHY Speed races. Don't be stupid and focus on a lot of side stories that ultimately add nothing to the plot.

Thanks, I sat through the movie once, you don't have to replay it for another five minutes at the end like this is a sequel and maybe I didn't see it, but the movie is so long, they could have filmed a sequel and played it right after this movie ended.

The Wachowski brothers are pompous and arrogant to think they didn't need anyone's input to cut this mammoth down to size. The only people who enjoy it are those who get the little references, which they'll enjoy just as much as bonus features on a DVD or Blu-Ray disc, but most people don't want to see a fat kid smash candy into his fat face. When people assume they're shit doesn't stink and they're perfect, I expect some dung loads on the screen like this one.
Old 05-14-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brack
if you Google search Sex and the City, it says the running time is 135 minutes.
My theatre's website lists 142...so we'll have to wait and see who's right!
Old 05-14-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Concerning Spritle, I really think people are missing the point of his character. Him and Chim-Chim always ate lots of candy in the original cartoon, and were always sneaking into places they did not belong. Eventually, this leads to them helping out Speed. This took place nearly EVERY episode in the original series, and while the duo could be annoying, they were always good for a laugh and some comic relief. Same thing in the movie.

Another thing worth noting, is that pretty much all of the original Speed Racer episodes occurred in pairs (Part 1 and Part 2). If you were to watch both together, this made for one cohesive story, and an unusually long cartoon. Usually, there was extensive dialogue in the first part, followed by a race. Also, the constant flashbacks and repeating parts that have already happened in the movie, is the same thing that was done in the cartoon. Flashbacks and rehashing of the previous episode was constantly taking place.

And while Racer X was a main character, he was not the focal point of the show (nor should he have been in the movie)...instead, the entire family (Pops, Mom, Rex/X, Speed, Spritle, Chim-Chim, Trixie, and Sparky) were all equally involved and focused upon. This was also present in the movie.

I don't care if people like it or not, but I feel it is worth pointing out some of the ways in which this is by and far the best film adaptation that I have ever seen.
Old 05-15-08, 12:05 AM

this thread is hilarious.
Old 05-15-08, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Here's a thought...over two hours of this shit is way too much, and the swirling colors at the beginning and end make you want to puke.

Secondly, cut out 90% of the Spritle shit, because he sucks, his character sucks and they're annoying. The part where they're in the hallway? Annoying as hell, probably only in there to break up the bad guy soliloquy that was long as fuck, also could have been trimmed. The cartoon fight scene...? Cut all that crap and boom, under 2 hours.

The movie is called Speed Racer, but it's pretty obvious the best character in the movie is Racer X. The guy is a badass, so focus on him, considering he is WHY Speed races. Don't be stupid and focus on a lot of side stories that ultimately add nothing to the plot.

Thanks, I sat through the movie once, you don't have to replay it for another five minutes at the end like this is a sequel and maybe I didn't see it, but the movie is so long, they could have filmed a sequel and played it right after this movie ended.

The Wachowski brothers are pompous and arrogant to think they didn't need anyone's input to cut this mammoth down to size. The only people who enjoy it are those who get the little references, which they'll enjoy just as much as bonus features on a DVD or Blu-Ray disc, but most people don't want to see a fat kid smash candy into his fat face. When people assume they're shit doesn't stink and they're perfect, I expect some dung loads on the screen like this one.
Honestly, the only criticism I agree with here is that the Spritle/Chim-Chim rampage through the hallway set to "Freebird" scene should have been cut.
Old 05-15-08, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Him and Chim-Chim always ate lots of candy in the original cartoon, and were always sneaking into places they did not belong. Eventually, this leads to them helping out Speed...I don't care if people like it or not, but I feel it is worth pointing out some of the ways in which this is by and far the best film adaptation that I have ever seen.
Yawn.

The only problem with this argument is that CARTOONS DO NOT TRANSLATE TO FILM.

Oh, yeah, right, Transformers would have been AWESOME if Starscream and Megatron were sitting there filling oil into Energon Cubes. Like that even makes sense. Or if, in the final battle, Megatron transformed into a big gun.

The reason why Transformers kicked ass and Speed Racer sucked is because one of these movies made the transitions necessary to translate realistically as possible onto the big screen. One of them didn't.

I don't want a 'perfect' adaptation dedicated to source material. Otherwise, I'd still be bitching that X-Men didn't have authentic costumes.
Old 05-15-08, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Yawn.

The only problem with this argument is that CARTOONS DO NOT TRANSLATE TO FILM.

Oh, yeah, right, Transformers would have been AWESOME if Starscream and Megatron were sitting there filling oil into Energon Cubes. Like that even makes sense. Or if, in the final battle, Megatron transformed into a big gun.

The reason why Transformers kicked ass and Speed Racer sucked is because one of these movies made the transitions necessary to translate realistically as possible onto the big screen. One of them didn't.

I don't want a 'perfect' adaptation dedicated to source material. Otherwise, I'd still be bitching that X-Men didn't have authentic costumes.
you go from saying cartoons don't translate to film to saying that the cartoon does translate to film, but that it's something you don't want. I can feel your inner conflict.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.