Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Shame they couldn't even let Robert Englund have a cameo. I will see this solely for Hailey's portrayal of the character. Although his Freddy voice sounds uncannily like Rorshach.
That was the first thing I noticed in the new TV spot. The second was the poor choice of framing for the shot. I like Hayley as an actor, but the shot of him coming down the hallway makes him look even shorter than he actually is. Not something you want for an imposing horror icon.
Old 04-05-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey was that guy in the trailer who plays the lead parent in the "lynch mob" the same guy from Little Children? He also happened to be the busy body neighbor who tormented the sex offender who lived in the town... who happens to be playing Krueger in this movie? Crazy.

[edit: Nope. The guy in Little Children was Noah Emmerich, and the guy in Nightmare is Clancy Brown.. but, damn, do they look alike.]

Last edited by lamphorn; 04-05-10 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

For anyone who gets Entertainment Weekly there is a new picture of Freddy along with an article about the remake in the movie section of the new issue.
Old 04-10-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
For anyone who gets Entertainment Weekly there is a new picture of Freddy along with an article about the remake in the movie section of the new issue.
I saw that. Somehow Freddy looks even worse in the picture than he does in the released footage. I didn't think that was possible. The glove doesn't look that great either.
Old 04-10-10, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Hey was that guy in the trailer who plays the lead parent in the "lynch mob" the same guy from Little Children? He also happened to be the busy body neighbor who tormented the sex offender who lived in the town... who happens to be playing Krueger in this movie? Crazy.

[edit: Nope. The guy in Little Children was Noah Emmerich, and the guy in Nightmare is Clancy Brown.. but, damn, do they look alike.]
Clancy Brown is the awesomeness known as Lex Luthor.
Old 04-15-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/m/up/ypp/movies/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="repeat=1&vid=19129722&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/m/up/ypp/movies/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="repeat=1&vid=19129722&"></embed></object>
Old 04-15-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

SHIT. That looks pretty good.
Old 04-15-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
SHIT. That looks pretty good.
i was thinking the same thing...
Old 04-15-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

That was rather well done. I know I'll be seeing this but I still dunno if it'll be a rental or theatrical viewing for me.
Old 04-15-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I like everything about that clip except the face. I just can't get over it - Freddy looks stupid.
Old 04-15-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad they released this clip... it only further solidifies my intent to NEVER watch this piece of shit. Freddy looks about as intimidating as Martin Short after an accident freebasing cocaine.
Old 04-15-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

I agree that Freddy doesn't look that intimidating. Then again, the original kind of ceased to frighten once he stopped being a demonic presence and became a wisecracking killer whose only purpose was to come up with a new punchline.
Old 04-15-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I agree that Freddy doesn't look that intimidating. Then again, the original kind of ceased to frighten once he stopped being a demonic presence and became a wisecracking killer whose only purpose was to come up with a new punchline.
True... except that didn't happen in the original. It really wasn't until Dream Warriors that he started to let loose with the one-liners.
Old 04-15-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
True... except that didn't happen in the original. It really wasn't until Dream Warriors that he started to let loose with the one-liners.

While I am sure you are aware, I meant the original Freddy as played by Robert Englund, and you are correct. What happened with the original series was they meant for 3 to be the final one, as it was co-written by Craven and featured the return of Nancy as the lead and all. However, 3 also saw Freddy loosen up and be funny, and while not intended (or maybe it was), he became rather kid/adolescent friendly for viewing. This new approach of course brought in more money, and thus this was the Freddy for the remainder. I remember going to see part six in the theater at age 15 and finding myself one of the older audience members.

Sorry to get off track, but that's how it happened.
Old 04-15-10, 12:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts

one thing i wondered recently and cannot recall...from the original series, did we ever find out how Freddy got his initial powers to enter dreams and such?
Old 04-15-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they may have glossed over it in Freddy's Dead, but that one sucked so bad I can't rightly recall.

They could have done something really special with this reboot, but instead it looks like they're just rehashing scenes from a classic. Big surprise considering who's behind it all.
Old 04-15-10, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think they may have glossed over it in Freddy's Dead, but that one sucked so bad I can't rightly recall.

They could have done something really special with this reboot, but instead it looks like they're just rehashing scenes from a classic. Big surprise considering who's behind it all.
yeah, i love the character and i think this is using the same 'ole stuff that made the original a classic and this will no where near be. i wish they did something truly original with this and then i may have given it a chance.
Old 04-15-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Whether the new film is "original" or "rehashed" people will complain either way. I'm thinking of actually watching it before passing judgment.
Old 04-15-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching it before passing judgment? Clearly you aren't as dedicated a forum member as I thought.
Old 04-15-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll only do that with films that involve glittering vampires.
Old 04-15-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I'll only do that with films that involve glittering vampires.

The clip was pretty good - I thought his face looked pretty damn creepy as well.

I haven't seen a film get bashed this bad in a while before its release - I'm really hoping it's good - definitely doesn't look like shit to me either as many have said.
Old 04-15-10, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Whether the new film is "original" or "rehashed" people will complain either way. I'm thinking of actually watching it before passing judgment.
nah, that is just too sophisticated for me.
Old 04-15-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that all of these "reboots" so to say are not aimed at true horror fans like those of us who watched the Friday the 13ths, TCMs, or Nightmares in our youth. They are also not aimed at young horror fans/buffs who appreciate the originals. These are predominantly aimed at young adults seeking a quick scare/thrill for a weekend evening with their buddies. They will do little more than aid in popping a big opening weekend followed by a massive drop-off as word of mouth will predominantly suck. However, a huge opening will guarantee an even more horrific sequel that will most likely kill the reboot in its tracks.
Old 04-15-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I hope so. The prequel to the remake of TCM killed that one off, and F13th seems to be having a hard time getting another one off the ground. I don't know how this one will open (I'm guessing high 30s), but I pray that toxic word of mouth nixes any sequels in the pipeline.
Old 04-15-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to see this, but I get really freaked out by horror movies. I might have to wait till it's on DVD and watch it during the day with some friends. I'm a grown man and I just can't handle being locked up in a theatre and unable to look away or stop hearing the awful sounds... the music.. it's too loud and I can't take it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.