Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-29-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have got to be fricking kidding me.

Platinum Dunes really has no appreciation for the horror genre, do they?

First The Texas Chainsaw Massacre gets turned into an absolute massacre thanks to the hyper-gory and "extreme" approach the minimalist original didn't have.

Then came redoing The Hitcher and destroying the plot.

They're doing a Friday the 13th remake, but it's apparently not a remake from what I heard and it MIGHT be OK if it stays faithful to the series.

This, however, is a clusterfuck. Besides Robert Englund, there is no Freddy Krueger. None. No alternate solution. Freddy is the only horror villain that IMO had a distinctive personality and was more than a masked serial killer, and he's simply not a villain you can put a mask on and say it's Freddy. If he gets in on it...I can go with the flow. If not, and this is Michael Bay's production company we're dealing with, we're fucked.
Old 01-29-08, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original is one of the best Horror movies, the sequels aren't worth watching IMO. I was lucky enough to meet Heather Langenkamp in 1987 or 88 when she was dating some guy that worked on special effects for the movie.
I don't really want to see them messing with the 1st one myself.
Old 01-29-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by H8nXTC
The original is one of the best Horror movies, the sequels aren't worth watching IMO. I was lucky enough to meet Heather Langenkamp in 1987 or 88 when she was dating some guy that worked on special effects for the movie.
I don't really want to see them messing with the 1st one myself.
the original still scares the crap out of me. It's a perfect horror film. Theres no reason to remake this masterpiece. The third and wes cravens new nightmare are my two favorite sequels in the series.

Last house on the left would be a better choice for a Craven remake
Old 01-29-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird. Aren't they working on another Freddy vs. Jason movie?

Remake this...remake Evil Dead....how long 'til they decide to remake ALIEN?

I wonder why they're only sticking to the horror genre? Can't wait to see Taxi Driver starting Ashton Kutcher, Blade Runner starring Haley Joe Osmet and Citizen Kane staring the fat kid from Superbad.

But it is a business, and as long as they keep filling the seats AND keep their costs low, these movies aren't gonna stop being produced.
Old 01-29-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I believe this is suppose to be a prequel that focuses on Krueger's background as a child killer. The Hollywood Reporter story says they have to wait until the strike ends to hire a writer.
Old 01-29-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want to see an ALIEN prequel so we can find out what made the ALIEN so friggin' mean! I wanna know it's motivation and stuff. I wanna get inside the ALIEN's head and find out what makes it tick!

I also want to see and Evil Dead prequel that shows why the kids want to go away to the cabin for the weekend...I want to see them shopping at S-Mart preparing for their trip. That would be so super-scary.

I also want to see a prequel to Dead Alive that shows the Sumatrin Rat Monkey running around for 90 minues, that would be so super-kewl.

Old 01-29-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-29-08, 07:02 PM

Now a remake of Soylent Green would be my suggestion, I think most of the current generation hasn't seen or heard of the original unless they are "Older" movie fans and that they would fall for the ingredient shocker if it was kept quiet like the "Crying Game" ending was...
Old 01-29-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is not the proposed prequel. This is for a complete remake/reboot of the franchise and I say FUCK IT! I don't care who you get to play Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers or Leatherface, but there are 2 horror icons that can NEVER be recast: Freddy Krueger and Pinhead. And now both are getting the same treatment. Unless they cast Englund, which they should since he's prefectly capable of doing it, then I'm never going to see this pile of shit. It's a fucking insult to horror fans the world over.
Old 01-29-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may not turn out to be a good movie, but I'm quite certain it'll be better than Rob Zombie's ultra-shitty version of Halloween.
Old 01-29-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This may not turn out to be a good movie, but I'm quite certain it'll be better than Rob Zombie's ultra-shitty version of Halloween.

A friend of mine wasn't cool on it initially, rewatched it a few weeks ago and said "it was better" and "really funny". I don't believe I'd feel the same way, that film was too terrible to be redeemed. The only aspects I liked were Malcolm McDowell (perfect casting for Loomis even if he was more ham-fisted than Porky Pig at several points) and Brad Dourif as the sheriff.

Platinum Dunes is also doing a Near Dark remake IIRC, which will also be shit on a stick. What's next? An extreme, Hostel-style take on The Serpent and the Rainbow? I hope to hell not. Even worse, a remake of Deadly Friend with badly CGI'd basketball of death.
Old 01-29-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I was really looking forward to the prequel. The only thing that pisses me off as much as it being remade (or any film) is the fact that all subsequent sequels/prequels will be based on this "reimagining" (I fucking hate that expression, BTW - why not call it unimaginative?) and not their original counterparts.

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I don't care who you get to play Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers or Leatherface, but there are 2 horror icons that can NEVER be recast: Freddy Krueger and Pinhead.
And Brad Dourif as the voice of Chucky, IMO. Not that I consider the series a classic by any means, but he is iconic in that role. And naturally, they're considering replacing him in that particular remake.

It's a fucking insult to horror fans the world over.
Very much so. Unfortunately a lot of those horror fans will go and see this film, despite supposedly being completely against it. And that's something I'll never understand.
Old 01-29-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is not the proposed prequel. This is for a complete remake/reboot of the franchise and I say FUCK IT! I don't care who you get to play Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers or Leatherface, but there are 2 horror icons that can NEVER be recast: Freddy Krueger and Pinhead. And now both are getting the same treatment. Unless they cast Englund, which they should since he's prefectly capable of doing it, then I'm never going to see this pile of shit. It's a fucking insult to horror fans the world over.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0887261/
Old 01-29-08, 08:09 PM
Banned

Freddy just wouldn't be the same without Robert Englund.
Old 01-29-08, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Rob Zombie and Michael Bay in a battle of sucktitude.
Old 01-29-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well at least Zombie made some decent original horror movies before shitting all over Halloween

Color me unimpressed on the news, I'm really getting sick and tired of horror remakes.
Old 01-30-08, 08:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Are all of these remakes accurate ?

Hellraiser [September 5th]
- Silent Night, Deadly Night [December 25th]
- Motel Hell [October 31st]
- Shutter [March 21st]
- Funny Games [March 14th]
- Solstice [January 1st]
- The Orphanage [January 10th]
- April Fool's Day [April 1st]
- Sisters [March 11th]
- One Missed Call [January 4th]
- Prom Night [April 11th]
- The Eye [February 1st]
- Day of the Dead [February]
- Cannibal Holocaust
- Last House On the Left
- It's Alive
- Piranha
- The Stepfather
- Quarantine
- Long Weekend
- The Bad Seed
Old 01-30-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
God damnit!

*kicks something*
Old 01-30-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

double post whoops
Old 01-30-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Are all of these remakes accurate ?

Hellraiser [September 5th]
- Silent Night, Deadly Night [December 25th]
- Motel Hell [October 31st]
- Shutter [March 21st]
- Funny Games [March 14th]
- Solstice [January 1st]
- The Orphanage [January 10th]
- April Fool's Day [April 1st]
- Sisters [March 11th]
- One Missed Call [January 4th]
- Prom Night [April 11th]
- The Eye [February 1st]
- Day of the Dead [February]
- Cannibal Holocaust
- Last House On the Left
- It's Alive
- Piranha
- The Stepfather
- Quarantine
- Long Weekend
- The Bad Seed
I don't think The Orphanage is a remake, Hellraiser was just delayed by the strike, and at least Funny Games is being helmed by Haneke himself (which, while it's far from a sign the movie will be good given the history of directors doing their own remakes, it is a sign the movie isn't just a studio hack job).

I agree that you can't recast Krueger. I as a fan of 1980's horror I appreciated that actors could latch onto a horror character as their calling card. These days you can't imagine someone committing to being Freddy for years and it's just not as fun, completely aside from the fact that recasting is stupid.

I am kinda looking forward to the Friday the 13th remake, although I hope Nispel shoots with regular colors instead of washing out the whole movie and that it retains some of the stupid fun that the Friday the 13th series was built on and isn't just EXTREME GRITTY the whole time. Even if you liked them, it's hard to argue that Friday the 13th was more than basically just a total cash-cow franchise machine, so I see less rep to destroy there.

And I liked the Halloween remake up until the part where the girls started, you know, talking.
Old 01-30-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
so I just read on Yahoo News that this could just be a prequel. I also read, however that the same company will be remaking Near Dark and...................THE BIRDS !!???
Old 01-30-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Birds has been pushed back every year for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-31-08, 10:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
so I just read on Yahoo News that this could just be a prequel.
i heard that Johnny Depp will be in it and Tim Burton is directing,
working title..."A Nightmare on Fleet Street"
Old 01-31-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Very much so. Unfortunately a lot of those horror fans will go and see this film, despite supposedly being completely against it. And that's something I'll never understand.
I can assure you I will not be one of them. Unless Englund is cast I will never see this film. Period. It's the only way to send a message to these butchers.
Old 01-31-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
As long as Will Smith remakes "Nightmare on My Street," I will see this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.