Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 03:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks good to me. I've enjoyed pretty much all the Platinum Dunes releases including Friday the 13th last year.

I absolutely love Katie Cassidy too, but seriously from the looks of that trailer is she playing a High School student?
Yes.

She didn't even play a high school student years ago in the Black Christmas remake -- she played a college student. Seems a bit of a stretch to regress back to a high school student years later.

I think the main 5 are all cute people. But, you can tell they're in the 20's -- especially the guy at the beginning.
Old 02-25-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Droid, would you mind putting that trailer behind a spoiler? It's freezing my laptop when I click into the thread.
Just changed it to a YouTube version.
Old 02-25-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it looks pretty good, although I really wish they didn't go for such a straight up remake.
Old 02-25-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Wow...that new trailer is...underwhelming. I really wish they wouldn't have done this. Freddy's already become "amusing" rather than "frightening"....why tarnish him even more? The new look is horrible, but not in the way the producers intended, I'm sure.
I agree with this. It doesn't look like they've brought anything new to franchise. I like Jackie Earle Haley, but he doesn't look imposing or sound intimidating at all in that trailer.

That being said, trailers are often misleading one way or the other. I'll wait for the reviews.
Old 02-25-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three thoughts from the trailer:

1) To echo others, everyone in that trailer looks entirely too old to be playing high school students.
2) Jackie Earle Haley must have only one fedora-wearing-creep voice because Freddy sounded exactly like Rorschach to my ears.
3) This film did not need to be made.
Old 02-25-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus H! And I thought the first trailer was bad...
Old 02-25-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Three thoughts from the trailer:

1) To echo others, everyone in that trailer looks entirely too old to be playing high school students.
2) Jackie Earle Haley must have only one fedora-wearing-creep voice because Freddy sounded exactly like Rorschach to my ears.
3) This film did not need to be made.
ESPECIALLY #3.
Old 02-26-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that they would rather spend who-knows-how-much money on a shitty CGI shot of Freddy coming out of the wall versus using a single fucking sheet of latex shows they don't have a clue.
Old 02-26-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
The fact that they would rather spend who-knows-how-much money on a shitty CGI shot of Freddy coming out of the wall versus using a single fucking sheet of latex shows they don't have a clue.
Latex scored low in the 18-24 demographic.
Old 02-26-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Not according to the co-eds in my neighborhood.
I knew that was coming.

No pun intended.
Old 02-26-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I just thought of one good thing that may come out of this remake...

Maybe some local theaters will show the original Nightmare a few days/weeks prior to the remake coming out. That would be great.
Old 02-27-10, 02:47 AM
Banned

This will open to $40+ million opening weekend and then sink like a stone! Some might be disappointed, but this will still make it a successful film.

However, any F13/Elm Street sequels to these remakes might considerably hurt these series again. Sequels to remakes don't have a very good track record at all.

These remake attempts to resurrect horror franchises are killing off these series much faster than the regular series did.

Halloween '07 vs Halloween '09 -- grossed half

TCM '03 vs. TCM: TB '06 -- grossed half

Hills have Eyes '06 vs. Hills Have Eyes 2 '07 -- grossed less than half

The Grudge vs. The Grudge 2 -- grossed less than half

Cabin Fever 2 has virtually wiped out the market for that series altogether. Though that wasn't a remake and DTV. Dreadful sales. Just horrible!

I remember back in the 80's Elm Street days when the grosses went up until the 4th film before the diminishing returns kicked in, not down. Times have changed.

Last edited by Cocacoladude78; 02-27-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I just thought of one good thing that may come out of this remake...

Maybe some local theaters will show the original Nightmare a few days/weeks prior to the remake coming out. That would be great.
I don't understand why they wont release the original in theaters instead of spending a lot more money for a crappy remake? Remaster the picture and sound. Are they afraid people wont flock to the theater to see the original on the big screen?
Old 02-27-10, 03:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
I don't understand why they wont release the original in theaters instead of spending a lot more money for a crappy remake? Remaster the picture and sound. Are they afraid people wont flock to the theater to see the original on the big screen?
Honestly, this remake will do worlds better than releasing the original to theaters. That's just the way it goes anymore...

Most teens nowadays don't even know about the original anymore, and aren't exactly going to flock to see it. They'll consider it trite and cheesy. I just saw a younger one compare it to a cheesy John Hughes film.

Personally, I loved Sixteen Candles!

Many of the original people who have seen the original theatrically really wouldn't go see it again. Especially those who saw it that way to begin with. They're all old now with families.

Just like Freddy vs. Jason, most of those original people will wait for the DVD or not see it at all. Most of the audience I saw FvJ with were Jr. High school students and teenagers. There were a few families (with very small children), but they looked no older than their 20's.

I don't know a single soul who would see the original '84 classic theatrically. We all saw it 26 years ago -- and since on the USA network, HBO, Laserdisc, VHS, DVD... For the majority of older fans, the market is pretty dead for the original because we've all seen it already.

Nightmare on Elm Street '84 was a monster hit on VHS in the 80's, but the market died down after. DVD sales of the original were average at best in '99 and '06. The sequels didn't sell too hot, and the TV show bombed overseas on DVD.

It's a cold day in hell when the original Friday the 13th sequels are outselling the original Nightmare on Elm Street sequels -- but that's what's happening. It's why Paramount finally got off their asses and remastered all the prints in '09 for DVD Deluxe Editions and Blu-ray. Those F13 part 4 deleted scenes are in good condition, but missing their audio.

Elm Street is getting a flimsy box set of '99 print re-releases with a shot of Jackie Earle Haley on the box -- not Robert! Shows you how much Warner Bros. cares for this series. They're not New Line -- New Line is gone.

This kind of sucks because there is so much missing footage from Elm Streets 3, 4, and 6. They all have never before seen workprints. Many of the '94 Laserdisc features of Elm Street 1 aren't even on DVD. Elm Street 5's uncut print never made it either.

The original box set of '99 Elm Street films undersold the Friday the 13th '04 box set by 5 times.

Mario World outsold Sonic 3 by 20 times. Both icons, but the sales difference is very evident.

Strangely, Tales from the Crypt sold fairly well -- well enough for Warner Bros. to release all the seasons. Freddy's Nightmares bombed tragically on them.

Growing Pains -- popular enough in the 80's right... Well, it bombed on Nick at Nite and bombed on DVD! Roseanne (same time period) flourished on both. So, you never know what's going to survive and what's not.

Last edited by Cocacoladude78; 02-27-10 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks beyond horrible! At least the other sucky remakes had decent to great trailers. This is just embarrasing.
Old 02-27-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll see it solely for Haley. It doesn't look promising, but I'm sure we'll get a good lead performance. That's all I care about at this point.
Old 02-27-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm really confused by the negative posts. I just saw the second trailer today and thought it was great. I'm really digging the new voice and like the original, I'm digging the SERIOUS tone.

I don't get the digs this movie is taking already - just a little update in case you all forgot....the acting was horrible in the original so what are you expecting out of this one?? If anything I would think the performances would be a little better a the least.

I'm not saying the film looks like it's going to be the best ever but am I missing something that maybe all of you saw that I didn't???????
Old 02-27-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
i finally got around to watching the new trailer and this is EXACTLY what i was thinking.
Old 02-28-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I'm really confused by the negative posts. I just saw the second trailer today and thought it was great. I'm really digging the new voice and like the original, I'm digging the SERIOUS tone.

I don't get the digs this movie is taking already - just a little update in case you all forgot....the acting was horrible in the original so what are you expecting out of this one?? If anything I would think the performances would be a little better a the least.

I'm not saying the film looks like it's going to be the best ever but am I missing something that maybe all of you saw that I didn't???????
Same here, thought the second trailer looked good.
Old 02-28-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

His voice is a blatant ripoff from the voice of The Maxx cartoon on MTV.
Old 03-01-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were only 2 other people in attendance when I cought the original at the AFI silver theater last year. Granted, that was not a highly publicized wide theatrical release. It did make for a cool "private screening" -like experience though.
Old 03-01-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you vastly over estimate how well this film would hold up in front of modern audiences, even with remastered picture/sound.
Old 03-01-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocacoladude78
Honestly, this remake will do worlds better than releasing the original to theaters. That's just the way it goes anymore...

Most teens nowadays don't even know about the original anymore, and aren't exactly going to flock to see it. They'll consider it trite and cheesy. I just saw a younger one compare it to a cheesy John Hughes film.

Personally, I loved Sixteen Candles!

Mario World outsold Sonic 3 by 20 times. Both icons, but the sales difference is very evident.

Strangely, Tales from the Crypt sold fairly well -- well enough for Warner Bros. to release all the seasons. Freddy's Nightmares bombed tragically on them.

Growing Pains -- popular enough in the 80's right... Well, it bombed on Nick at Nite and bombed on DVD! Roseanne (same time period) flourished on both. So, you never know what's going to survive and what's not.
You seem to have some sort of need to include info about 80s tv series in your posts.
Old 03-02-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote from Samuel Bayer on the inevitable sequel:

"I really hope the film does well. I will not be involved in a sequel…I don’t want to have my next movie be a horror movie. I’m already looking at stuff and I think I’m probably going to do a– it might be an action movie, or there’s a comic book they want to make into a film I’m very attracted to. But I think I’m going to move on and let someone else handle the next one, and it’ll be great."

Big surprise considering he hates the series and only took this job to break out into feature films. Lack of subject enthusiasm from the director is yet another reason why this film will suck tremendous amounts of dogshit.
Old 03-02-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't forsee any Johnny Depps coming out of this version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.