Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Pixar Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Pixar Movie?
Toy Story
14.96%
A Bug's Life
4.70%
Toy Story 2
14.10%
Monsters, Inc.
10.68%
Finding Nemo
9.40%
The Incredibles
37.18%
Cars
2.99%
Ratatouille
5.98%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Pixar Movie

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Hey, it was their first 'scope movie, so you could say it was their first to fill the full length of the typical theater screen.
BTW, what is the OAR of each of the Pixar films?

Toy Story 1 & 2: both 1.85:1

A Bug's Life: 2.35:1

(and the rest... I can't remember what they are)
Old 06-22-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I had no idea Incredibles was so popular. I thought the consensus was that Toy Story 2 was their best.

For me, Toy Story & Finding Nemo are both absolutely wonderful & I'd have trouble picking one over the other, but I don't really care for the rest.

A Bug's Life is very colorful, but boring & suffers from comparisons to Antz (which has some of the best in-joke or stunt casting ever).

Toy Story 2 just didn't do much for me & I don't remember why.

Monsters Inc. is ok, but wasn't wild enough.

Incredibles was a big disappointment after Family Dog & Iron Giant. Something got lost in transition. As I watched, I kept thinking how funny it would be in traditional 2d cel. Hopefully Brad Bird has figured things out for the new one.

Cars had no surprises.
Old 06-22-07, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
BTW, what is the OAR of each of the Pixar films?

Toy Story 1 & 2: both 1.85:1

A Bug's Life: 2.35:1

(and the rest... I can't remember what they are)
Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. are 1.85:1 (actually they may be 1.78:1, as is TS 1 and 2).

The Incredibles, Cars, and Ratatouille are 2.40:1.
Old 07-02-07, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
1. Toy Story 2 (A+)
2. Ratatouille (A)
3. Monsters Inc. (A)
4. The Incredibles (A)
5. Toy Story (A)
6. Finding Nemo (B+)
7. A Bug's Life (B-)
8. Cars (C- bordering real close to a D)
Old 07-02-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Alright, I'll do a real list/ranking:

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Ratatouille
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.

I refuse to give Disney/Pixar any money for Cars, so I will buy it once I can get it used (on HD) or once it comes on TV.

I think Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles are both nearly flawless films. I don't really care for any of John Lassetter's stuff besides Toy Story 2.
Old 07-02-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Finding Nemo by a huge margin.
Old 07-02-07, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Ratatouille
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Monsters, Inc.
--------------------
Bug's Life
Cars
Old 07-02-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokimok
Incredibles was a big disappointment after Family Dog & Iron Giant. Something got lost in transition. As I watched, I kept thinking how funny it would be in traditional 2d cel.
Funny? It was supposed to be more of an action/superhero movie than a comedy - funny elements, sure, but not in the way you were expecting.

Anyways, here's my Pixar rankings:

1. Incredibles
2. Ratatouille
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters, Inc.
7. Bug's Life
8. Cars
Old 07-02-07, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Funny? It was supposed to be more of an action/superhero movie than a comedy - funny elements, sure, but not in the way you were expecting.
See, this is why I liked The Incredibles the LEAST of any Pixar movie, and why I can't understand the intense affection for it from a large number of rabid fans. They can't just say that its few detractors, like me, just didn't "get" The Incredibles.

When was that movie EVER marketed as a "superhero/action" flick? The teaser trailers emphasized the comic elements of the movie. We can debate the motives for that all we want, but it's true. I'm sure I'm not the only one who came into the movie expecting a Bond/superhero spoof.

Then what actually came into theaters...it was like Pixar on Pez for me. Two+ hours of hyperkinetic, spastic animation that had your head ping-ponging from one side of the screen to the other until it was just....worn...down.

You can see, or even to a greater extent feel, the difference in approach to a Pixar movie between Bird and John Lasseter, and hopefully Ratatouille isn't played as straight as The Incredibles, and to a lesser degree Monsters Inc., was. Those were the only Pixar movies I wasn't 100 percent enraptured by.

So, my bizarro rankings:

1. A Bug's Life: A+. Hits ALL the marks and shoots Pixar permanently into the stratosphere of studios.
2. Toy Story 2: A. Seriously stands alongside Godfather II and The Empire Strikes Back as one of the best sequels ever. Far and away the best film of 1999.
3. Toy Story: A. The classic original hampered only by the jerky CGI of people walking.
4. Finding Nemo: A-. I was immersed in every moment of this film. Only the bickering crabs strike a false note in this otherwise joyful work of art and imagination.
5. Cars: B+. Not nearly as disappointing as has been regarded. The NASCAR sequence at the beginning was off-putting, true, but as soon as Cliffy the truck hits the road with Lightning McQueen, the film quickly regains its trademark Pixar charm and draws you helplessly in.
6. The Incredibles: B. Overstuffed and overlong, but still a (over?)stimulating delight. Again, how this film was marketed was NOT how it played, but you can't fault any of Bird's ideas. There were just too many of them, proving that even a Pixar film CAN have too much going on.
7. Monsters Inc.: B-. The weakest Pixar entry so far IMHO due to poor execution of the premise and lack of distinctive, memorable characters. Oh, John Goodman was the exception, as he is in many of his films, but even now we must remind ourselves that Mike Wazowski (sp?) was supposed to be a "monster." He's funny, but never for one second scary. And the rest of the voices, with the exception of Cliffy's Bigfoot, didn't really mesh with the characters either.

Ratatouille will no doubt jumble the rankings all around. And this is, of course, being harder on Pixar than any other studio. But it goes with the territory when said studio is seemingly incapable of making a bad movie.

I would gladly pay full price for a hundred Monsters Inc.s in the theaters than have to be subjected to one more studio action dud. Pixar=quality.

Last edited by GeorgeP; 07-02-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Thats the thing, The Incredibles was the most involving of the Pixar movies imho. Toy Story 2 coming in second and Nemo coming in 3rd. The rest, especially Toy Story and A Bug's Life, bored me more than anything. Monster's Inc was just entirely too cookie cutter.
Old 07-02-07, 06:05 PM
Suspended

The Incredibles! Anything Samuel L Jackson touches, turns to gold! Toy Story 2 a close 2nd, ive watched the movie so many times, it is just so well done. Not a boring moment in the flick. Monsters Inc never grabbed me, and nemo was a bit too kiddie for my tastes. But all great movies. Ive never seen A Bugs Life since the trailer looked pretty aweful. I will watch Ratatouille on blu-ray.
Old 07-03-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably too soon to say, but I voted Ratatouille. Incredibles is a close second.
Old 07-06-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
All of Pixar's movies are good-to-great, but this is the order I would rank them now that I've seen them all at least once:

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story
4. Ratatouille
5. Finding Nemo
6. Monsters, Inc.
7. A Bug's Life
8. Cars

(obviously repeat viewing may lead me to swap a few in position, but I don't think any would move more than one spot up or down for me, at least until the next Pixar movie is released.)

Last edited by dhmac; 07-06-07 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-06-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the Birds? (Just kidding, although I really liked that Pixar short.)

For me it is Monster's, Inc. by a wide margin, one of only two I have on DVD (the other being The Incredibles). I'm a little surprised to see "Monsters" has as many votes as it has in this poll since I am aware that it wasn't as successful as the others; I figured I'd be the only one voting for it. But that last shot of Sulley gets me every time and it's a cartoon!

After that, I'd guess I'd say The Incredibles, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, in no particular order. I didn't much care for Finding Nemo, it's ok but nothing I'd want to see again. Can't recall having seen A Bug's Life. Haven't seen Cars; maybe someday, although I have zero interest in car racing. I haven't seen Ratatouille yet. Wasn't interested in it at all but the reviews are so stellar I'll have to drag myself to the theater one of these days or Netflix it when it comes out on DVD.

Last edited by lizard; 07-06-07 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
...this is the order I would rank them ...
Almost exactly my ordering. You have exquisite taste.
Old 07-17-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
Saw Ratatouille so now I can make a final list or ranking:

1. Toy Story
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. A Bug's Life
6. Cars
7. Ratatouille
8. Monsters Inc.
Old 07-17-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted for Monsters, Inc. before seeing Ratatouille...I would probably change my vote now, but it's a toss up between the two for sure.

1. Ratatouille
2. Monsters, Inc.
3. The Incredibles
4. A Bug's Life
5. Toy Story
6. Toy Story 2
7. Cars
8. Finding Nemo
Old 07-17-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Thats the thing, The Incredibles was the most involving of the Pixar movies imho. Toy Story 2 coming in second and Nemo coming in 3rd. The rest, especially Toy Story and A Bug's Life, bored me more than anything. Monster's Inc was just entirely too cookie cutter.
even though I rank Cars lower, I find the rewatch value of A Bug's Life pretty low.
Old 07-17-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
3. A Bug's Life
4. Monsters, Inc.
5. Toy Story
15. Ratatouille
16. The Incredibles
17. Cars

I'd put most of the shorts, especially Lifted, above Ratatouille, The Incredibles, or Cars.
Old 07-18-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is one amazing resume that Pixar has.
Old 07-18-07, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

I voted for Monster's Inc.. My kids have probably played that DVD over 200 times and they still watch it at least once a week. I know that movie by heart and still find it funny and clever.

Cars is my second favorite. That one has probably been played 100 times at my house. I don't understand all the dislike of the movie. There are so many great little moments in that movie.

I'd guess I'd have to say I find Finding Nemo the weakest of the bunch. That's really not all that bad. It means I give it an A- as opposed to an A+. I've been delighted by every movie they've made so far.
Old 07-18-07, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TwilightZone
I voted for Monster's Inc.. My kids have probably played that DVD over 200 times and they still watch it at least once a week. I know that movie by heart and still find it funny and clever.

'Cars' is my second favorite. That one has probably been played 100 times at my house. I don't understand all the dislike of the movie. There are so many great little moments in that movie.

I'd guess I'd have to say I find Finding Nemo the weakest of the bunch. That's really not all that bad. It means I give it an A- as opposed to an A+. I've been delighted by every movie they've made so far.
hmm let's see -

- I found the voice work (sans Paul Newman) grating.
- it's a weak script
- the story plotline is so simple and predictable and offered no surprises, it's very substandard even for Pixar's standards.
- it's the most kid centric film of the bunch - as an adult I couldn't connect myself to the characters, the plot or really even care where the story went - more like a road to nowhere.

but hey that's just me...
Old 07-18-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
hmm let's see -

- I found the voice work (sans Paul Newman) grating.
- it's a weak script
- the story plotline is so simple and predictable and offered no surprises, it's very substandard even for Pixar's standards.
- it's the most kid centric film of the bunch - as an adult I couldn't connect myself to the characters, the plot or really even care where the story went - more like a road to nowhere.

but hey that's just me...
Weak script...hell...it's a direct rip-off of Doc Hollywood. I think they just grabbed the Cliff's Notes of it.

And any movie is sad when the biggest laughs come from Larry The Cable Guy.

My 3 year old loves it..but he also likes to eat boogers.
Old 07-18-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My rankings are something like a joint first between Incredibles and Toy Story 2 and Incredibles (both superb, TS 2 surpassed the original IMO) then Monsters Inc, then Toy Story (its years since I saw TS1 or 2 though).
I havent seen Cars, Finding Nemo or Ratatouille though
Old 07-28-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just been doing a Pixar marathon to just revisit some favourites and catch for the first time the Pixar movies I hadn't yet seen. So I can rank 'em all now that they're fresh in my mind:

1) The Incredibles (dir. Brad Bird, 2004)
2) Ratatouille (dir. Brad Bird, 2007)
3) Finding Nemo (dir. Andrew Stanton, 2003)
4) Toy Story 2 (dir. John Lasseter, 1999)
5) Monsters, Inc. (dir. Pete Docter, 2001)
6) Cars (dir. John Lasseter, 2006)
7) Toy Story (dir. John Lasseter, 1995)
8) A Bug's Life (dir. John Lasseter & Andrew Stanton, 1998)

Studio Ghibli marathon up next.

Last edited by hardercore; 07-28-07 at 03:44 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.