Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Pixar Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Pixar Movie?
Toy Story
14.96%
A Bug's Life
4.70%
Toy Story 2
14.10%
Monsters, Inc.
10.68%
Finding Nemo
9.40%
The Incredibles
37.18%
Cars
2.99%
Ratatouille
5.98%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Pixar Movie

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
I missed none of those things. What I noticed is that none of them (IMO) were done very well, and all of them took a back seat to slapstick involving a rat using a human puppet and a ridiculous villian of all the Pixar moives. In fact, when they did actually drop the slapstick the emotion felt very forced to me rather than flowing with the story like it does in their other films.

It was like they were telling you, here's where you are suppoed to laugh, be touched, etc. IMO the oother movies were a lot more natural in that regard. It reminded me of a sit com with an audience reaction soundtrack.
Ok, fair enough.
Old 01-31-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I never would have thought CARS would be so low on likes.
I don't think Cars is a horrible movie; for me, it's just not up to Pixar's usual (amazing) standards
Old 02-01-08, 12:58 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I have yet to see Cars, but it looked like a fun one.

I did recently watch Ratatouille and what a fantastic film. I can't remember the last time I actually walked away with a smile on my face from a movie (maybe American Beauty...since I saw the point the film was trying to make). There is so much going on in that film and it sends a wonderful message to the audience. Also, I am a little biased since when Remy has his ears pinned back, he looks exactly like my mutt at home.

EDIT: I also want to make note of Anton Ego & Gusteau. Those two characters drove the film home for me. Gusteau's motto "Anyone can cook" says it all. I really like the fact they drove that home. Great message.

Ego on the other hand, really puts things into perspective. It is easy to find the bad in things...but you can find good. No matter what.

Last edited by macnorton; 02-01-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by macnorton
EDIT: I also want to make note of Anton Ego & Gusteau. Those two characters drove the film home for me. Gusteau's motto "Anyone can cook" says it all. I really like the fact they drove that home. Great message.
I agree, but the message would have been that much better if they didn't make both characters into slapstick buffoons. I would have given the movie a much higher grade if they would have just stuck to one kind of movie. Is it an mature message movie or a mindless saturday morning cartoon?

If it was supposed to successfully blend them together, IMO it didn't work. But given the numebr of glowing reviews, I'm in the minority.
Old 02-01-08, 02:25 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by cardaway
I agree, but the message would have been that much better if they didn't make both characters into slapstick buffoons. I would have given the movie a much higher grade if they would have just stuck to one kind of movie. Is it an mature message movie or a mindless saturday morning cartoon?

If it was supposed to successfully blend them together, IMO it didn't work. But given the numebr of glowing reviews, I'm in the minority.
I am not sure I agree with that...can you give an example of slapstick for these two characters?
Old 02-01-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Toy Story 1 & 2 are both fantastic. Nemo was okay. The rest were poop.
Old 02-01-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
I've yet to see Ratatouille, so I can't completely vote in this. But, I'd say The Incredibles and A Bug's Life are probably my most favorite, and if I had a gun to my head to pick, I'd say A Bug's Life.