Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 3 Teaser!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man 3 Teaser!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
If you're going to make me a burger that is made out of pork, BBQ sauce and a slew of other things then don't dare call it a Hamburger. Call it a Rib Sandwich.

But if you're going to make me a Hamburger than you best be putting in Beef and all the basics that make up a hamburger.
But it's not that at all. It's like a gingerbread White House. It looks pretty close, but the bushes are made from candy, as are the windows. There's icing instead of paint, the walls are gingerbread color, not white, and if you look closely, there's nothing in the oval office. It's a completely different medium replicating the White House, and is accepted as being a gingerbread representation of the White House. No one gets mad because one can't host a state dinner in it.

A movie will never be able to exactly replicate 40 years of comic continuity, nor all the characters in exactly the same way. They have 2 hours to tell the story, so some things, events, and even characters must be simplified and condensed. They don't have to insure that the villain will make it to next year's issue. A comic book movie isn't even required to adapt a particular storyline, but just the basic characters and premise. Changing, say, webshooters isn't a huge deal. He's still a superhero swinging on webs, but they don't have to explain why this guy doesn't already have a job with 3M, or can afford to machine these precise devices. It's just part of the adaptation process. It's simplification, not dumbing down.

It's not just comic books, though. Every subject has its fanatic fans that can't understand the adaptation process. Dune, Lord of the Rings, James Bond, and many, many others all have fanatics that don't want movies made of "their" stories, they want books-on-tape acted out word for word. Even then, they'll bitch over casting and why Legalas isn't wearing brown boots.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 11-12-06 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-12-06, 04:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
wow @ that unfinished trailer.

movie is gonna be amazing.
Old 11-12-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilex
There sure are a lot of fanboy complaints running rampant round here. I think it looks awesome. Got me excited. Sandman looks cool and I like the whole "evil Parker" vs. "good Parker" symbiote story. From the trailer it kinda looks like Peter ends up hitting Mary Jane (or pushing her down). Can't wait!
Eh, I don't think there's been that many complaints, and if any they aren't really specific to "fanboy" type whines. The main one from the trailer simply seems to be alluding to Sandman's involvement in killing Uncle Ben. That's a stretch regardless of being a comic book fan, given the plot of the first film.
Old 11-12-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word. That retcon is weak sauce.
Old 11-12-06, 05:54 PM

The Sandman/Ben Parker thing broke way back in July. They never did show the crime, so it's not exactly a retcon. It doesn't matter what the comic book says. The comics change their stories all the time, anyway. Storywise, it works because it puts Peter in a dark place and makes it more personal. They haven't gone wrong yet, so I'm willing to wait and see how they do it.

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...=197373&nbc1=1
Old 11-12-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Remember when they made Jack Napier the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman? And later in Batman Begins they made another guy the killer of Wayne's parents.
Old 11-12-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Remember when they made Jack Napier the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman? And later in Batman Begins they made another guy the killer of Wayne's parents.

True, but Batman Begins isn't a prequel or a sequel to Batman. It doesn't fit in that storyline.

EDIT: And thanks for that unfinished trailer, nice to see what Venom is gonna look like...

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 11-12-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-12-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, on my first viewing of Batman, I was confused because I had always known that it was Joe Chill who shot Wayne's parents, and the Napier retcon didn't sit well with me at the time. I guess it's deja vu all over again.
Old 11-12-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My friend Danny made this.

Old 11-12-06, 10:23 PM

We all seem to misunderstand what a retcon is. Retcon is not an alteration in the original material when adapting to a different medium. Retcon is when something in the same medium (and continuity) is stated to be one way then it is later changed as though it was always that way. Jack Napier killing Batman's parents was not a retcon because it was not established in a previous movie. A retcon would have been if in Batman Forever they then said Riddler killed Batman's parents. Batman Begins doesn't count because it's a whole new continuity.

I thought it was kind of wonky, too, when I heard about Sandman and his relationship to the guy who killed Ben Parker, but we actually never saw the crime. How do we know what happened? After Spider-Man 1 and especially Spider-Man 2, I trust Sam Raimi enough to tell this story.
Old 11-12-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For film purposes, it's a retcon (Napier/Chills). It's Batman, but not Batman. It's Bond, but not Bond. Blah blah.
Old 11-13-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum
wow @ that unfinished trailer.

movie is gonna be amazing.
Now that is the kind of trailer that gets folks lining up to see this one 2, 3 times. Venom looks like shit right now (needs to be MUCH bigger), but I like the direction they are going with him. So we are looking at least at a Spidey 4 sometime in 2010. I would think that defeating Venom would probably end the franchise, although a battle vs. the Sinister Six would be pretty cool.
Old 11-13-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Liked the trailer. Screwing with who killed Ben is a big mistake IMHO. The killer being the robber that Peter selfishly let go is essential to the character and what turned him into Spiderman.
Old 11-13-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
As long as we get more wet t-shirt or braless Mary-Jane shots I'll be happy no matter who killed Uncle Ben.

I'll miss his rice.

Old 11-13-06, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
We all seem to misunderstand what a retcon is. Retcon is not an alteration in the original material when adapting to a different medium. Retcon is when something in the same medium (and continuity) is stated to be one way then it is later changed as though it was always that way. Jack Napier killing Batman's parents was not a retcon because it was not established in a previous movie. A retcon would have been if in Batman Forever they then said Riddler killed Batman's parents. Batman Begins doesn't count because it's a whole new continuity.
thank you, Webster
Old 11-13-06, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MASAMUNE2
thank you, Webster
There's really no need to be smart ass. It's simply an alteration when they change something in one medium to another, not retroactive continuity. You can't call the first movie in a series a retcon. There has to be some continuity in the first place for it to be retroactive. If they changed the comic book to suit the movie (which they do all the time-Kryptonite, Superman's ability to fly, Jimmy Olsen all came from the radio show), then THAT would be retcon because it's already established history. The Spider-Man 3 thing is a retcon in the sense that it explains something that we didn't witness or understand before. We don't know if it has changed anything yet.
Old 11-22-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-22-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
the previous post is blank unless i look at it quoted

ok its there now
Old 11-22-06, 11:28 PM

I can't see the image hotlinked. Here they are again.

Old 11-22-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
kal el images seem tocome and go
Old 11-22-06, 11:51 PM

great concept... 2 diff versions
Old 11-22-06, 11:51 PM

He hotlinked them from Comingsoon. I don't see them, either. hopefully the imageshack ones are showing up.

I love the detail of the back spider being different for each pic.
Old 11-23-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm still looking for that damn changing one.
Old 11-23-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The trailer looks amazing, though I don't get the whole "Sandman killed Uncle Ben" thing, maybe he was the one who ordered Ben's killing.
Old 11-23-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Liked the trailer. Screwing with who killed Ben is a big mistake IMHO. The killer being the robber that Peter selfishly let go is essential to the character and what turned him into Spiderman.
I can see it now...right before Peter Parker goes completely dark by avenging his Uncle, Sandman gets blown away. The camera pans behind Sandman to a gigantic shotgun and then rises up to reveal the face of none other than Aunt May as she whispers "For Ben..."

I just keep telling myself "don't worry, it's Raimi, ain't gonna happen..."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.