Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Superman Returns"...the reviews thread.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-10-06, 08:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

With the other at 54 pages i think it is high time for a thread that soley represents the official and non-official (public, "us") reviews.

Here are the ones posted in the other thus far (thanks to Kal-El himself!)...

Bluetights.net
Supermanhomepage
Boston Herald
Comic Book Resources

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-10-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-10-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea.

Jeffrey Wells (who put Sony in tailspin after he reviewed an early cut of LAST ACTION HERO) is a respected critic, and he raves about SUPERMAN RETURNS

HOLLYWOOD ELSEWHERE
Old 06-10-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea. Here's some more:

Latino Review

IESB
Old 06-10-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess this is the first "lukewarm" review out there. Not sure if they're being sincere or just want to stand out from the mostly positive ones that have already come out:

AICN

Missing Valerie Perrine and Ned Beatty kinda taints the review a bit for me.
Old 06-10-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...shouldn't that "." be a "?" ?

re: that AICN review...are there spoilers in it?
Old 06-10-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very minor, nothing plot/story related. Kinda says how the film begins and ends, scene-wise. You'd probably be safer not reading it.
Old 06-10-06, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
very minor, nothing plot/story related. Kinda says how the film begins and ends, scene-wise. You'd probably be safer not reading it.
the ones you posted so far kal-el were very good and make me want to see the movie more than i did. the one that exclaims this movie has heart is what really gets me.
Old 06-10-06, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Great idea. Here's some more:

Latino Review

IESB
i hate to read these for fear of giving too much away.
Old 06-10-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
i hate to read these for fear of giving too much away.
Don't worry. I just re-read those and they're as spoiler-free as they come. Mostly just personal impressions of the film.
Old 06-10-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
the AICN review is more in line with m expectations of the film, based on every piece of footage I've seen so far, and the early script reviews.
You can easily see in the last (or was it second to last?) trailer- there is almost a slave-ish sense of trying to evoke scenes and 'character moments' and dialogue from the original.

spfx's look to be jaw on the floor amazing, but I'm expecting to be coming away with a lukewarm reaction to this one, but a big jones to see the next sequel asap.
o
Old 06-10-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Good idea.

Jeffrey Wells (who put Sony in tailspin after he reviewed an early cut of LAST ACTION HERO) is a respected critic, and he raves about SUPERMAN RETURNS

HOLLYWOOD ELSEWHERE
And here is his new column on the film: Blue, Baby...Blue
Old 06-10-06, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

The first four make it sound great. Actually the first one was terribly written, but even so, I'm very excited now.

I refuse to read AICN because I think they're a horrible excuse for a website.
Old 06-10-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Me too, I just don't "do" AICN.
Old 06-10-06, 10:02 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they seem to be consistent in saying Routh pulls off the roll with flying colors
Old 06-10-06, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, I'm glad about that, because the trailers didn't really show much of his acting.
Old 06-10-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What do you mean, they shot a bullet into the guy's eye! That had to have hurt like a sum'bitch!!!
Old 06-10-06, 10:50 PM
Banned by request

And that shows his acting how, exactly?
Old 06-10-06, 11:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad this is getting stellar reviews, for the most part, thus far.
Old 06-11-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If this is as good as Batman Begins, I'll be curious to see if WB / DC try and bring any other properties to life. Lookin' forward to it, got my 10pm tickets on order.
Old 06-11-06, 06:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just hope that superman returns is not a pretentious piece of sh*t like the hulk which the critics loved but the mass public like me felt it was overly long and dull with a few good action scenes. I like singer. he has proven track record with comic book films (X-men & X2) unlike ang lee who is more comfortable with sense and sensibility and brokeback mountain than comic boo movies (i hated crouching tiger and hidden dragon as well).

I hope there is no camp in this movie no ultra dumb, bumbling clark kent. i want a clark kent like in lois and clark and smallville. I prefer the ultra rich lex luther from lois and clark and smallville to the one in superman movies by gene hackman. I know we are getting the Superman movies gene hackman version but this time by spacey. which worries me about the camp level. don't studios and directors know that camp is code for sucks. I love the first 2 superman movies but the camp and dumb clark kent have not age well. I know everyone loves those movies and i do as well but they are far from perfect. I am very worried about this film but some of the ideas have me intrigued and very concerned. i also hope their is enough action in this movie to satisfy the audience and justify the ridiculous budget of 175-200 plus million dollars.
Old 06-11-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed Reeve's bumbling Clark Kent. Reeve himself wanted to play it that way so that Superman and Kent were distinctly different. JMO.
Old 06-11-06, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sabre
I just hope that superman returns is not a pretentious piece of sh*t like the hulk which the critics loved but the mass public like me felt it
if i remember this got panned for the same reason you mention. "prententious piece of..." i don't remember this getting too much praise critic or fan wise.
Old 06-11-06, 09:39 AM

did you see Brandon Routh at the MTV Movie Awards? damned if he couldn't be Christopher's son. his face, his mannerisms, his voice even...they were so eeerily familiar. it shows that this new movie is an every way and extension and homage of the classic 78 film. i am so glad that they are recognizing it as the master stroke it was and not re-inventing the wheel. Routh as "Superman" i think will do the franchise or at least Supe 1 & 2 of old very due justice.
Old 06-11-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't agree about Wells being a respect critic. In fact, he's just the opposite. But the fact that he liked it is a good sign because he usually hates genre films.

damned if he couldn't be Christopher's son. his face, his mannerisms, his voice even...they were so eeerily familiar.
I keep seeing people make this point, and I fail to see any resemblence. He looks and sounds nothing like Reeve except for the fact that he has dark hair and is dressed up like Superman.

Old 06-11-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In that picture they're distinctly different but I've seen some production photos from before--and I know it's posted somewhere in the Giant Thread--where as Clark Kent, they were the spitting image of each other. I don't think everyone's saying they look alike all the time. Just brief flashes of uncanny resemblance here and there. But then again, your love for Reeve and disdain for Routh may already be clouding your vision somewhat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.