Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Word on 'Da Vinci Code' ? Not good.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Word on 'Da Vinci Code' ? Not good.

Old 05-18-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Just finished the book last night. I started reading it about two years ago when it was only available as a basic hardcover and really couldn't get into it. Recently I sold my hardcover and got the illustrated paperback, which helped my understanding and reading element immensely.
However, that does not change the opinion I formed when I first tried to read it a few years back: it reads like a novel that was written by a pulp writer who hoped if he wrote something provactive enough, it would sell millions and get made into a movie. In short, like a lot of today's commercial fiction seems, it reads more like a screenplay adaptation/novelization than anything else.
In terms of the plot, I found the story entertaining, but I didn't feel like I had read anything groundbreaking. I thought it was a slightly above average book and that the material would make an average movie at best. I will still go and see the movie, but it will now be more due to it being another summer release for another weekend as opposed to seeing something utterly intriguing.
FWIW, I find it interesting that they placed several spoilerish plot points in the trailer.
Spoiler:
I pretty much had a hint that Teabing was behind it all when I saw the shot of him trying to catch the airborne Cryptex in the trailer. Not to mention it seems they also did the whole last shot of the movie in the trailer ploy when they show Langdon on top of the inverted pyramid.

All in all, I think any problems I or anyone will have with this movie will most likely be traceable to the source material. FWIW, I think that sometimes "pulp fiction," as seems to be the more appropriate identification, is best left as a book.

On a side note, I find it interesting that Ian McKellan will be in this movie this weekend, then in another one next weekend. I think he is a great actor and I am acounting on him to elevate the material a bit, as he often does. Knowing he was playing Teabing had me chuckle when in the book he says:" I am not part of any brotherood," as I immediately pictured him standing with Pyro and Juggernaut. Having the two of them chase Sophie and Langdon would be a treat!
Old 05-18-06, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
All in all, I think any problems I or anyone will have with this movie will most likely be traceable to the source material. FWIW, I think that sometimes "pulp fiction," as seems to be the more appropriate identification, is best left as a book.
Hmmm... Reminds me of Roger Ebert's review. He hated the book (he hates most books) but he liked the movie because it reminded him of a well-crafted graphic novel (a.k.a. comic book), which he can relate to...

P.S.: Ian McKellen is also reprising the voice of the wizard Zebedee in "Dougal" out on DVD this week. (He did that voice in the British version as well.)
Old 05-18-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I didn't find the novel to be anti-religious at all.

It challenges certain religious dogma and assumptions, but it still has a strong spiritual component to it.
I agree with you. I think there has been a big misunderstanding in regards to the novel. It certainly challenges the New Testament, and primarily the Church's role in developing and protecting its version of modern Christianity, but I don't think it is anti-religious at all.

I did enjoy the book despite its flaws, and I'm still going to see the movie to judge for myself. But I won't be surprised if it isn't great, since I think a faithful adaptation of the novel would be tough to make into an entertaining summer movie.
Old 05-18-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still plan to see DaVinci Code this weekend, but when every negative review uses the word "dull" to describe the movie, it kinda lowers my expectations. I hope they're wrong.
Old 05-18-06, 11:26 AM
Retired

Despite reviews, 'Da Vinci' should be big
Box office watchers expect film to have $50 million-plus weekend

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- First reviews for "The Da Vinci Code" may be mostly scathing, but box office experts say they expect the Mona Lisa to keep smiling all the way to the bank this weekend.

The experts say the religious-themed thriller can expect to haul in between $50 million and $80 million, when it opens domestically Friday -- more than enough to compensate for the laughter, jeers and sneers it received when shown to critics at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival Tuesday.

Print reviews of the movie version of the world's biggest-selling novel were also less than kind.

Daily Variety critic Todd McCarthy said, "Director Ron Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldman have drained all the fun out of the melodrama, leaving ... an oppressive talky film that is as close to dull as one could imagine with such provocative material."

The Hollywood Reporter's critic, Kirk Honeycutt, complained the film "never rises to the level of a guilty pleasure. Too much guilt. Not enough pleasure."

In early reviews, only Lou Lumenick of the New York Post cheered, "'The Da Vinci Code' is the Holy Grail of summer blockbusters: a crackling, fast-moving thriller that's every bit as brainy and irresistible as Dan Brown's controversial bestseller."

Movie ticketing service Fandango said the film was accounting for 78 percent of all the agency's advance sales, and 88 percent of those buying tickets said they had read the book, which has sold more than 40 million copies.

The service also reported that 74 percent of those buying tickets said their religious beliefs did not affect their decision. The book has come under criticism from religious groups who object to its premise that Jesus and Mary Magdalene married and had a child together.

By comparison, advance ticket purchases for DreamWorks Animation Studio's "Over the Hedge," also opening Friday, accounted for 4 percent of sales.

Box office watcher Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Inc., said the bad reviews may help the box office, at least in the short term.

"It means people are talking about this movie, and you have to remember that there is often a disconnect between critics and audiences. What will really count for this film is word of mouth, and that will not make itself felt until the second or third weekend," he said.

He said he would expect that the film would make about $50 million in its opening weekend.

Chad Hartigan, box office analyst for Reel Source said he expected the film to do between $60 million and $80 million in its first weekend, helped in no small part by the public's awareness of the novel.

"Our office saw the film and thought it was great. The general public will be more forgiving than the mainstream critics," he said.

MovieTickets.com said "The Da Vinci Code" was tracking very high in advance of its weekend opener and had 10 times more tickets sold than "Mission: Impossible III" during the same time in its sales cycle.

The Tom Cruise action film, the first of the summer's big-budget movies, opened two weeks ago to a disappointing weekend gross of just under $48 million.

Brandon Gray of Boxofficemojo.com said he thought "The Da Vinci Code" would gross about $70 million in its first three days. "It has real audience interest and a real fan base," he said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Old 05-18-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my local theaters have this playing on 4 screens, so it'll be readily available around here. Many of the first showings are starting at 11:30 am as well.
Old 05-18-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

baracine...the same person who showed his mug in the History Of Violence movie thread going nuts about glorifying violence...give me a break.

As for DaVinci Code...I wasn't planning on seeing it in theaters...you don't need a code to figure out why it sucks...

= J
Old 05-18-06, 12:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
baracine...the same person who showed his mug in the History Of Violence movie thread going nuts about glorifying violence...give me a break.

As for DaVinci Code...I wasn't planning on seeing it in theaters...you don't need a code to figure out why it sucks...

= J
clever...
Old 05-18-06, 12:32 PM

I enjoyed the book, so I will see the movie despite what critics say. Most critics wouldn't know a good movie if it came up and bit them in the ass. Besides the reveiws are coming from Cannes, what do they know. I am not going to trust an opinion from the same people who raved about Fahrenheit 9/11, and what a great movie it was.
Old 05-18-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by baracine
Hmmm... Reminds me of Roger Ebert's review. He hated the book (he hates most books) but he liked the movie because it reminded him of a well-crafted graphic novel (a.k.a. comic book), which he can relate to...

P.S.: Ian McKellen is also reprising the voice of the wizard Zebedee in "Dougal" out on DVD this week. (He did that voice in the British version as well.)
I don't really think it's fair to attribute Ebert's preference for the movie over the book to anti-intellectualism. Dan Brown writes horrible prose, and the way he describes things is often so clumsy and absurd that it tears you out of a narrative that already taxes the human capacity to suspend disbelief.
Old 05-18-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Never mind.

William Arnold's and Roger Ebert's reviews put things in a very different perspective: It would appear that the film is not as dumbed-down as it could have been and that it does have a lot of atmosphere. Hell, I've even heard of pundits who think the music is not suitable for children... This probably means I will want to see it eventually, if only on DVD.

I think you mean to have Emily Litella saying "Nevermind".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....already in progress.
Old 05-18-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought the book was completely predictable and very poorly written. Entirely unexcited about the movie, but will see it this weekend for 3 reasons:

1. Ian McKellen is never anything less than awesome.
2. The scenery.
3. The hope that a gigantic opening weekend will send the protesters a message.
Old 05-18-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Roger Ebert is on the record for saying that "A Beautiful Mind" is a great film despite the fact that it's a pack of lies which obscures the hero's homosexuality and medical condition, changes his marriage history and dumbs down the historical record in general. It's safe to say that he's on the payroll for this one as well...
How does affect the quality of the film? I went to ABM expecting a good film - not an historically accurate one.
Old 05-18-06, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by grip
I think you mean to have Emily Litella saying "Nevermind".

Thanks, grip. I couldn't find that mugshot. And I was thinking of Rosanne Rossana-Dana. [Obnoxious note here: The "Emily Latella" spelling is immensely more popular on Google.]

It just dawned on me that there is another factor that might play against DVC's box office, which I would call the "hypophobia" factor, which is the reaction of disgust, mostly from people who haven't read the book and have no intention of reading it, to the hype surrounding the DVC phenomenon.

I have three brothers, two of which read the book like myself. The older brother read it as an amusing thriller and has no intention of seeing the film. The second brother read it because he was curious about all the hype and feels nothing but pity for the poor fools who really believe the facts behing the premise since some of those facts have been disproved. He will not see the film. My third brother never reads fiction and really gets pissed off at any mention of the book by friends and acquaintances. He considers any remote interest in the subject a sure sign of mental retardation and will not see the film. I read the book because I had been researching the story, off and on, for twenty years and I was really intrigued by its treatment as a successful thriller. I was iffy about seeing the film but I will probably give in because it promises to be "atmospheric", which is very rare in American films these days.

But I notice a kind of "Is that all there is?" reaction in Canadian critics who haven't read the book to the premise of the story. They seem to think that after all the hype and hysteria, the film should cure cancer, or at least remove warts...

Last edited by baracine; 05-18-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 06:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peep
How does affect the quality of the film? I went to ABM expecting a good film - not an historically accurate one.
Fair enough, but since the film was presented as the factual biography of John Nash, a living individual who won the 1994 Nobel Prize for Mathematics, when it was in fact more fanciful than any MGM musical biopic, it should at least have come with a disclaimer - or a written apology.

Last edited by baracine; 05-19-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 06:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Dan Brown writes horrible prose, and the way he describes things is often so clumsy and absurd that it tears you out of a narrative that already taxes the human capacity to suspend disbelief.
Originally Posted by MoviePage
Thought the book was completely predictable and very poorly written.
If you define fiction as a narrative that has the ability to sustain attention, then Dan Brown's book is a work of genius, which the film may or may not be (the jury is still out).

Last edited by baracine; 05-19-06 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 08:18 AM
Banned

Well, I saw this last night at a sneak preview in Pittsburgh (won tickets on the radio - WooHoo!). I read the book last weekend, which was probably a mistake. Everything was too fresh in my mind so I was being the typical "book snob" and pointing out every last thing that was changed. My buddy I went with, on the other hand, read the book a couple of years ago and he said he didn't think they could have followed it any closer.

Some changes I noticed (not all):

Spoiler:

Langdon isn't contacted at the beginning in his hotel room. He's at a book signing after his speech which really throws the whole timeline off (for me) about how the story starts

The discovery of the key at Madonna of the Rocks is a joke in the movie. Like many have speculated, the anagram solving in the movie is way too convenient (not that it isn't in the book as well, but the movie makes it even worse). There was no confrontation with the guard, and the key just kind of falls out of the wall.

The "car chase scene" from the blocked off embassy to the train station is just ridiculous.

The story of why Sohpie and her grandfather weren't speaking was barely glanced over and focused mainly on a "scolding incident" from her early teen years that didnt' exist in the book. Not to mention, when they DID show the PoS having their ritual mating ceremony, Sophie just happened to walk up to a window in a building and peered in.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't remember Captian Fache being in Opus Dei in the book. He certainly is in the movie and they mention it way too much.

Only one cryptex in the movie. The riddle about the knight A. Pope interred is on the bottom of the inlaid rose.

This one was bad... Langdon and Sophie never make it to the library in the movie to study the riddle. On the way there (on a bus) they decide they don't have time to make it so Sophie convinces a random student to let Langdon use his cell phone (yes, a cell phone) to do his research. You have GOT to be kidding me.

The end of the movie at Rosslyn Chapel was completely changed from the book. In the movie, they find the previous resting place of MM's sarcophagus in a secret room in the chapel where there still remains all the documents detailing the lineage of Christ and also newspapers about the car accident that killed Sophie's family, including her brother, who never makes an apperacnce in the movie. Langdon also concludes that Saulnier wasn't Sophie's grandfather, just the grand master of the PoS that took it upon himself to raise and protect Christ's only living descendent. The whole Priory shows up at the chapel to welcome Sophie, even though I was under the impression that only the four senechaux were allowed to know the identity of the heir.

I definitely agree with a lot of the critics on this one. It was pretty much a stinker. The only bright spot for me was McKellan, and not even his whole performance was good. He provided a good deal of comic relief though that I don't remember from the book.

I'd give it 2 stars. It's worth seeing if you enjoyed the book, but not worth paying theatre prices for. If you didn't read the book, good luck keeping up.
Old 05-19-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ouch... only 18% in rottentomatoes..... looks like we have the stinker of the season.... even Poseidon had 28% in rottentomatoes....

Looks like XMEN and Superman now have the chance to take the glory this year...
Old 05-19-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
ouch... only 18% in rottentomatoes..... looks like we have the stinker of the season.... even Poseidon had 28% in rottentomatoes....

Looks like XMEN and Superman now have the chance to take the glory this year...
Don't forget Pirates 2.
Old 05-19-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh yeah... and pirates 2...Not sure if World Trade Center will be big.... Feel bad for Tom and Ron.....
Old 05-19-06, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Spoiler:
This one was bad... Langdon and Sophie never make it to the library in the movie to study the riddle. On the way there (on a bus) they decide they don't have time to make it so Sophie convinces a random student to let Langdon use his cell phone (yes, a cell phone) to do his research. You have GOT to be kidding me.
Spoiler:
This one couldn't be helped, besides the fact that it saves precious film minutes. This King's College Religious Studies Library exists in London but doesn't have 1/10th the modern electronic research equipment described in the book and the administrators complained bitterly to the author about having become Google Central for every Holy Grail fanatic on the planet following the publication of the book. So it was better left out entirely... pending its removal from the book. The Pope-knight-Apple riddle, furthermore, could easily have been solved by such an erudite man as Langdon without the use of a 2 billion dollar computer. Lord Teabing must have discreetly rolled his eyes at that one... And the bus -double-decker, no doubt - is an improvement on the book since Temple Chapel and King's College are too close to each other to justify a subway ride.

Spoiler:
I may be wrong about this, but I don't remember Captain Fache being in Opus Dei in the book. He certainly is in the movie and they mention it way too much.
Spoiler:
You're right. Fache is not proven to be a member of Opus Dei, just a profoundly Catholic man who is heavily prejudiced in favour of the Church and Church members in general during his investigation. This little added detail makes him the near-villain which he appears to be in most of the book... Why assume that the public will make a difference between a devout Catholic and a member of a sinister right-wing group?

By the way, for future reference, here's everything anyone needs to know about the book, including more spoilers than you can fit in a standard Hollywood trailer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code and a list of everything Dan Brown got wrong : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici..._Da_Vinci_Code

Last edited by baracine; 05-19-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 11:46 AM

I knew this was gonna be mauled by the critics. Too much hype. Just like the book. When it came out, everyone was saying what a good book it was. When it really started to get the hype, there was so much complaining. I can't make an astute evaluation until I see it later tonight but I doubt it's as bad as their saying.
Old 05-19-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Link_182
I knew this was gonna be mauled by the critics. Too much hype. Just like the book. When it came out, everyone was saying what a good book it was. When it really started to get the hype, there was so much complaining. I can't make an astute evaluation until I see it later tonight but I doubt it's as bad as their saying.
I agree.

With all the hype the book got...people started to backlash. Same with this movie.

It just would be nice to get a review that's not biased by someone's religion

~Jason
Old 05-19-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Old 05-19-06, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
It just would be nice to get a review that's not biased by someone's religion

~Jason
100+ reviews on rotten tomatoes and ALL of them are biased by the writers religion?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.