Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Golden Raspberry Awards / Razzie Awards Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Golden Raspberry Awards / Razzie Awards Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
That's the whole thing, it is supposed to be fun, that's why I clicked on the thread to check it out.

But 3 different politicians, in 4 different categories, from 1 so-called "documentary"? It doesn't sound like the people who made this list are having very much fun themselves - they are too busy still stewing in their angry agenda.

God, just let it go already, you'll all sleep better.
It appears some are still upset about Kerry's lost.

Every now and then, you have to give the dog a bone.
Old 01-26-05, 06:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Bush should accept the award if he wins and say his poor acting job in the movie was due to an unstable director.
Old 01-26-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Quasimodo
I was disappointed there was nothing for Van Helsing.

At least Kate Beckinsdale should have had a Razzie nomination.....
Yeah, Universal should have released that later in the year to make sure it had enough Razzie consideration!

Perhaps it was because the film was bland and silly, rather than over-the-top bad?

(Remembers that Dracula had oompah-loompahs)
... okay, I'm with you.
Old 01-26-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know I would pick...

WORST PICTURE
CATWOMAN (Warner Bros.)

WORST ACTOR
Ben Stiller / ALONG CAME POLLY, ANCHORMAN, DODGEBALL, ENVY and STARSKY & HUTCH

WORST ACTRESS
Halle Berry / CATWOMAN

WORST SCREEN COUPLE
Halle Berry & EITHER Benjamin Bratt OR Sharon Stone / CATWOMAN

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Britney Spears / FAHRENHEIT 9/11

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ah-Nuld Schwarzenegger / AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAZE

WORST DIRECTOR
“Pitof” / CATWOMAN

WORST REMAKE OR SEQUEL
SCOOBY DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED (Warner Bros.)

WORST SCREENPLAY
CATWOMAN, Written by Theresa Rebeck and John Brancato & Michael Ferris and John Rogers
Old 02-26-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2005 Razzie Winners

I'm a voting member of the Razzies and its fun to see that most of my picks (Berry, Bush, Catwoman, Pitof) got their awards.

George Bush, Halle Berry Share Worst Film Honors

By Arthur Spiegelman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Beating such established Hollywood hunks as Colin Farrell and Vin Diesel, President Bush won the Golden Raspberry Award on Saturday for worst actor of the year for his appearance in Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Bush, two members of his administration, Britney Spears and the storybook about a goat that the president was reading to children as the Sept. 11 attacks were taking place all took top honors at the "Razzie" awards, now in their 25th year.

"Catwoman," starring 2002 best actress Oscar winner Halle Berry, tied with "Fahrenheit 9/11" by scooping up four "Razzies" -- worst picture, worst directing, worst screenplay and worst performance by an actress for Berry for her "berry bad" work.

John Wilson, founder of the nonprofit Golden Raspberry Award Foundation that gives out "Hollywood's least coveted trophies" on the eve of the Oscars ceremony, said Moore's anti-Bush documentary allowed the foundation's nearly 700 members to do some Bush bashing of their own.

The president not only was named worst male actor in a leading role, he also won for being half of the year's worst screen couple when paired with either Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice or "My Pet Goat," the book he was reading to schoolchildren on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001.

Footage of Bush continuing to read the book after being given first word of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon was one of the key scenes in Moore's highly critical film.

Two other "Fahrenheit" stars were "honored." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was named worst supporting actor and pop star Britney Spears won for worst supporting actress for a clip in which she declares blind faith in Bush's policies while popping chewing gum.

Winners receive a golf-ball-sized figure of a "Raspberry" atop a mangled Super 8 film reel that is spray-painted gold. It has an estimated street value of $4.97, although Wilson said costs were rising as Super 8 film reel cans are getting harder to find.

Wilson said he was able to finance the theater for this year's awards by selling the 'Razzie" that Ben Affleck broke in half after being handed it on "The Larry King Show" for "Gigli."

Since this year marks the 25th anniversary of the Razzies, some special awards were given:

"From Justin to Kelly" was named worst musical of the last 25 years, "Gigli," the Affleck-Jennifer Lopez disaster that was savaged by critics, was named worst comedy, and the science fiction film "Battlefield Earth" won for worst drama.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was named the worst Razzie loser of the last 25 years for having been nominated eight times and failing to win even once.
Old 02-26-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do they have any kind of ceremony for this thing? And if so, has a "winner" ever showed up and/or acknowledged the award?
Old 02-26-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think Tom Green showed up to claim his award a few years ago. I don't know about a ceremony though.
Old 02-26-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm fairly positive Paul Verhoeven showed up and received his award for Showgirls.

Verhoeven's one of those guys though who's pretty upfront about what he thinks of his older films, good or bad, though.
Old 02-27-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They do have a ceremony every year in Los Angeles/Hollywood and every voting member gets two tickets.
Old 02-27-05, 12:15 AM

So Nitro, out of curiosity, who exactly make up the members of the Razzie board? How do they get people on this board? I'm guessing industry folk of some sort...but otherwise?
Old 02-27-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Has an Academy Award winner ever gotten a Razzie? And I don't mean like Halle Berry winning an Oscar for Monster's Ball and then a Razzie for Catwoman. I mean someone winning an Oscar and a Razzie the same year for the same film. Has that ever happened?
Old 02-27-05, 12:27 AM

I don't recall anyone winning both, but I can think of one being nominated for both.

The song "How Do I Live" from Con Air by...well, not by LeAnn Rimes, was nominated for best song at the Oscars and worst song at the razzies. Though I don't believe it won either, and the song category is always reaching at the Oscars, and the razzies are full of bitter at popular stuff awards.
Old 02-27-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Interesting. Thanks, jaeufraser.
Old 02-27-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Amel
Do they have any kind of ceremony for this thing? And if so, has a "winner" ever showed up and/or acknowledged the award?
I remember seeing on the news that Bill Cosby showed up one year to accept the "award" for "Ghost Dad."
Old 02-27-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
So Nitro, out of curiosity, who exactly make up the members of the Razzie board? How do they get people on this board? I'm guessing industry folk of some sort...but otherwise?
Actually, you just pay into it so its mostly film fans I guess. I got a Christmas special for $20 bucks for a one year membership. I was just curious as to how the system work so I decided to join for a year. You can also buy gift or lifetime memberships. $20 bucks wasn't too bad really, I got to vote and I used the tickets as a belated birthday gift for a friend of mine who is in LA.
Old 02-27-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Break down those gates, Halle Baby! Break'em down good!
Old 02-27-05, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Actually, you just pay into it so its mostly film fans I guess. I got a Christmas special for $20 bucks for a one year membership. I was just curious as to how the system work so I decided to join for a year. You can also buy gift or lifetime memberships. $20 bucks wasn't too bad really, I got to vote and I used the tickets as a belated birthday gift for a friend of mine who is in LA.
Well, that's kinda cool. Makes me kinda want to join for a year.
Old 02-27-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Break down those gates, Halle Baby! Break'em down good!
Who would have thought that Halle would actually show up?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...p/film_razzies

At least she was a good sport about it.
Old 02-27-05, 02:48 AM

Well, you gotta give her credit for showing up. She gets a point in my book. I don't know why, but whenever an actor admits to sucking, it makes me like em a lil more.
Old 02-27-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
nah, I still hate the bitch.
Old 02-27-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
I'm no big fan of Bush, but the fact that so many members of The Golden Raspberry Award Foundation decided to let their political subjectivity overrule their supposed love of film and award the subjects of a political documentary with "worst actor" awards is fairly pathetic. Whatever credibility that the "foundation" had is now gone.

Congrats guys. In a silly effort to get some additional CNN coverage due to your political statement, you made yourselves a bunch of political whores.
Old 02-27-05, 11:56 AM

Fahrenheit 9/11 was an awesome movie, even if Michael Moore gets on my nerves. It deserves to win oscars, not razzies
Old 02-27-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to agree with that. No point to cross over the two. Especially when documentaries hardly should be grounds for any actor.
Old 02-27-05, 12:21 PM

i think its sad that in this day and age most people look down on independent views and beliefs. To make matters worse, this "anti-indepency" trend is carrying on into our media. Its really tasteless...
Old 02-27-05, 12:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I have to agree with that. No point to cross over the two. Especially when documentaries hardly should be grounds for any actor.
jack...do you know where post #18 is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.