Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Here's the Miami Vice teaser trailer!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Here's the Miami Vice teaser trailer!

Old 12-12-05, 07:11 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
another michael mann crime drama? i'm in
Old 12-12-05, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Ferrari Testarossa
No Daytona Spyder
No Alligator
No bulky cell phones

Looks like Bad Boys 3.... but its Mann so I'm still there......
Old 12-12-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Considering how much work he did on the show I have full trust in the Man(n). I'm there opening night.

I love how he weaves his crime stories and I'm glad he took a serious take on it opposed to the comedy bullshit they have done in the past with Charles Angels, Dragnet, etc.

I'm sold.

You make an interesting point Jack. When you consider the source material and how it was presented, one would think they would take the cheese and nostalgia factor and push it to the limit. Once Mann was attached as the director, I knew he would approach it as a straight out action/drama and avoid what could have easily been a pitfall. The fact that he isn't trying to re-make his old series but rather re-imagine it in today's world illustrates his desire to continue the crime saga he began with Heat and more or less continued with Collateral.
Old 12-12-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animalmystic
No Ferrari Testarossa
No Daytona Spyder
No Alligator
No bulky cell phones

Looks like Bad Boys 3.... but its Mann so I'm still there......
But Bady Boys is all bad one liners and huge explosions, this film looks more serious. And like you said it's Mann so Ill be there too.
Old 12-12-05, 08:38 PM

No Jan Hammer?
Old 12-12-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks interesting. I'm a little young to have watched Miami Vice (I remember the stunt show at Universal Studios though!) but the serious take on it looks nice.
Old 12-12-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Sonny better have an alligator named Elvis on his boat
Old 12-12-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by bub2000
No Jan Hammer?
Appears so.

Looks like it could be interesting but it also looks like any other trailer nowadays. It appears they just want the name factor and tossed the rest.
Old 12-12-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Appears so.

Looks like it could be interesting but it also looks like any other trailer nowadays. It appears they just want the name factor and tossed the rest.

That might be the best approach. We gotta be honest, the 80s=cheese. This has to be straightforward or they may as well make a comedy/action along the lines of Charlie's Angels.
Old 12-12-05, 09:42 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Looks like another great Michael Mann effort.
Old 12-12-05, 10:01 PM

I don't know how this movie is going to work outside of the '80s. Really after a certain point in the original series the show stopped making sense because the times changed. The stuff in that trailer looked like a bad episode from the third season...
Old 12-12-05, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That might be the best approach. We gotta be honest, the 80s=cheese. This has to be straightforward or they may as well make a comedy/action along the lines of Charlie's Angels.
80s movie = Rocky IV
90s movie = Rocky V

A lot of people didn't like the transition, even though Rocky IV is a pretty braindead movie and the worst-written of them all. Wonder how Rocky VI will handle the 21st century.
Old 12-12-05, 10:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm glad he took a serious take on it opposed to the comedy bullshit they have done in the past with Charles Angels
I know! How dare they take that Emmy-snubbed classic drama of the late-70s, and turn it into something silly!

The Hollywood rape continues!
Old 12-12-05, 10:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wait...they're taking this seriously. Oh, man (or should I say: Oh, Mann).
Old 12-13-05, 12:12 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

colin just does not seem right as sunny.
Old 12-13-05, 12:31 AM
Suspended

But Bady Boys is all bad one liners and huge explosions, this film looks more serious.
I truely hope he keeps the serious tone to it, while I didn't care for Collateral that much, I did like the tone/darkness to the movie.
Old 12-13-05, 01:54 AM
Banned

i'm pretty sure it'll be rated R. it looks very much like collateral, especially the night shots.

I'm not sure about the Crockett character look though; why does Collin Farrell look like a cowboy with a mullet? The goofy mustache coupled with his mullet is hilarious. Take a look at this on set photo:

Hahaha.

Last edited by UKingdom; 12-13-05 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I know! How dare they take that Emmy-snubbed classic drama of the late-70s, and turn it into something silly!

The Hollywood rape continues!

Well, for Charles' angels I should have just piled it into "make it into utter crap" but I guess I was just typing fast.

In anycase, Miami Vice was a Emmy nominated and won a couple of emmy's. I would hate for it to be tossed into the comedy stick of TV <-> Film conversions mainly because people can't get over the 80's clothes.

This is an updating of it and it's under Mann's hand. So why would he parody himself and make it comical?
Old 12-13-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is an updating of it and it's under Mann's hand. So why would he parody himself and make it comical?

Your previous post:
I love how he weaves his crime stories and I'm glad he took a serious take on it opposed to the comedy bullshit they have done in the past with Charles Angels, Dragnet, etc.
aren't you contradicting yourself here?
Old 12-13-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't see the contradiction.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed Mann is taking the digital route once again... It just doesn't look as good!

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 12-13-05 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-13-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
I don't see the contradiction.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed Mann is taking the digital route once again... It just doesn't look as good!
It's a tiny Quicktime clip on the Bacardi website. Why not at least see the teaser on the bigscreen before writing off the image quality?
Old 12-13-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I doubt that'll change matters much. You can easily see the film was shot digitally from looking at that low quality video. I stand by the opinion that 35mm film looks better than current high-def digital video, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mann did, too; but shooting on video does simplify things considerably and is more forgiving with low light levels. So I understand the choice to go digital; I just still prefer film.
Old 12-13-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I don't see the point of this if they are going to make it as a straight-ahead serious movie.

Miami Vice was a big dumb action show. Speed boats, explosions and girls in bikinis. Any serious issues in the show were dealt with through melodrama and most of the episodes were a vehicle for Don Johnson to look tough & cool for the men and swarthy and hot for the women.

Miami Vice the looks like them just being tough with the rest of the stuff gone. Also, it betrays the main ingredient of the show, the visual aspect. In the TV show everything was so bright, and yet in this movie everything is dark.

What I am trying to say is that this movie looks good. So good I don't understand why it needs the Miami Vice moniker. It betrays the source material so much that it is a completely different story. Just give it a different name and be done with it.
Old 12-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I guess I don't see the point of this if they are going to make it as a straight-ahead serious movie........Miami Vice was a big dumb action show.
Becuase back then it was a straight-ahead serious crime drama? Maybe it is a big dumb action show through the eyes of todays entertainment. Oh look at that guy with a silly shirt on.. And a gator on his boat.. LOFFA!

At the time I would toss it to what is seen as CSI today. In 20 years I'm sure they will be considered big dumb action shows with vegas show girls/dead bodies, inside camera aspects of bullet holes going through bodies and most of the episodes were a vehicle for Gil Grissom to look cool, confident and spit out a witty one liner. Lets make that into a film in 20 years and head it into a comical self parody and see what that is like.

The show was for its time, a modern representation of "cool", it used the music and atmospher to tell its story. Considering this is being made by the same person who made the show what it was, the writer, I don't see why it would be a bad idea to update it to what is the representation of "cool" today.

aren't you contradicting yourself here?
No, actually, I'm not. Even though it's silly by todays standards, Charles Angels was an Action Crime Drama and the film was anything but serious. I would hope that the person who felt it was serious back then would also take the hard edge approach with it again with a sort of modern update of it.

It betrays the source material so much that it is a completely different story.
I'm not sure why you say this. It has what looks to be a crime story with them taking on the drug cartels of florida. while cheesy 80s music plays in the background. In the trailer alone I heard cheesy contempory music, THREE different scenes of a boat chase, Planes doing what would look like a drug run, a cool as ice shot of them driving in a car with added car chases, plenty of day shots, a lot of guns clicking and a lot of women dancing.

Seems to me that it's not betraying anything... well, we didn't see Elvis.. No betrayal here especially with the executive producer of the show as the Director.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 12-13-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Add me to the list of people amazed that it's a serious attempt at redoing a cheesy TV show.

I didn't expect a movie I would be willing to see in the theater but I doubt I would even rent this one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.