Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sly Stallone Starts Rocky 6 in December

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sly Stallone Starts Rocky 6 in December

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Well, none of the fights in any of the Rocky movies are very realistic. Not only could no fighter last against some of those blows, but any half-decent referee would stop a fight where one guy was taking so much punishment.
You obviously don't remember boxing pre-1990. See Larry Holmes vs. Tex Cobb. Or any fight with Gerry Cooney.
Old 12-19-06, 04:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
...I still think if Roger ends up retiring, Aisha would be the best replacement. Might be a little hard to take serious at times, but she's just fun to listen to.

But yeah, to prevent getting off topic: The movie had a lot going against it, it's prevailed pretty damn well so far. When I first heard it was getting positive test screenings (before the trailer), I was surprised, the trailer was another surprise.
Aisha Tyler isnt a journalist like the other 2. In addition, she yaps too much.
Old 12-19-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be seeing it tommorow. Who else is seeing it tommorow?
Old 12-19-06, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I rarely go to the movie theatre anymore but I'm making an exception in this case. I know there will be coughing, talking, sneezing, cellphones ringing, cellphones lighting up as people check messages, at least one crybaby kid, people comming in late to the movie and chosing the seats right in front of me etc. But, so be it....Go Rock!!
Old 12-19-06, 10:59 PM

Say what you will about Rocky 5, but even I remember the crowd at the theatre I went to cheering when Rocky kicked Tommy Gunn's ass. I was around 9 years old I think. I hope to have a good crowd tomorrow.
Old 12-19-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Well, none of the fights in any of the Rocky movies are very realistic. Not only could no fighter last against some of those blows, but any half-decent referee would stop a fight where one guy was taking so much punishment.

Anyway, I'm officially excited to see this one.
If you ever get a chance watch The Thrilla In Manila. Ali and Frazier going toe to toe for 14 rounds! They were both dead tired at the end of 14, and the only reason Ali won was because he could make it up off his stool and looked ready for the 15th and Frazier couldn't. TKO.

That's the closest I've ever seen to a "Rocky" fight in real life boxing.

But I am also excited to see Rocky Balboa. I've got a gut feeling that it will be the 4th best Rocky movie, and that ain't bad!
Old 12-20-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 435 Likes on 315 Posts
I have the day off from work so i might take in an afternoon show.
Old 12-20-06, 02:17 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Me and my buddies are going to the Friday evening showing -- going to make a night of it.
Old 12-20-06, 02:48 PM

Going tonight to see it since my neighbor bought me a ticket without me knowing it. I have no desire to see this but I'll go with an open mind. Post back later with my thoughts.
Old 12-20-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I catched a matinee of this today, it's a great, great film! Just wonderful if you love all the Rocky films or even if you don't. Some of Stallone's best work in quite awhile! I was really impressed with how well done this movie was.......
Old 12-20-06, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I catched a matinee of this today, it's a great, great film! Just wonderful if you love all the Rocky films or even if you don't. Some of Stallone's best work in quite awhile! I was really impressed with how well done this movie was.......
I agree! Anyone that likes or loves the first Rocky film should like or love this one too!
Old 12-20-06, 04:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I saw this during my lunch break.

GREAT COMEBACK, ROCKY.

This movie brought the series back to glory. Rocky Balboa is to Rocky V what Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is to Star Trek V (for the original cast) It brings a fitting end to a movie franchise.

I loved how Little Marie came back, I loved where Stallone put Rocky - character-wise - in this movie, and I loved hearing Bill Conti's score again.

Granted, the training montage is a little underwhelming - granted, if you want a good training montage, watch Rocky III's or Rocky IV's before this one - but the fight is pretty cool. To me, it's the most realistic one. It's VERY unlike the other fights in the series, in that it uses the actual HBO Boxing graphics (complete with the time count at the bottom of the screen), the use of Joe Cortez as referee and that famous "Let's get ready to rumble!" referee.

It's cheesy, but it's good cheese. Basically, you walk into a ROCKY movie expecting a certain menu, and Rocky V didn't do that.

After watching this, I'd rank them like this:

Rocky
Rocky III
Rocky Balboa
Rocky II
Rocky IV
Rocky V
Old 12-20-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just got back from watching this after work. I thought it was a proper sendoff for the series, but unfortunately the sound at the theater here was terrible. The only speaker working as the center channel, so I was robbed of my chance to hear the Rocky theme in all its glory.

Rocky
Rocky III
Rocky Balboa
Rocky IV
Rocky II
Rocky V
Old 12-20-06, 04:55 PM

Can I just say one more thing?

There is no mention of ROCKY V in ROCKY VI.

Not a clip, no mention of Tommy Gunn. One would think you would at least get the last few minutes of the Tommy Gunn-Rocky Balboa street fight.

Thank you, Mr. Stallone.
Old 12-20-06, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 949 Likes on 795 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Can I just say one more thing?

Not a clip, no mention of Tommy Gunn. One would think you would at least get the last few minutes of the Tommy Gunn-Rocky Balboa street fight.

Thank you, Mr. Stallone.
r u joking? stallone has said everywhere that he denounces any and all things related to that movie. i mean it's a good thing that they cut the scene when Rocky says to Paulie "hey, remember that great fight i had on the street corner and defiled what was a great franchise until that point."
and considering it was so reviled and best forgotten it's great that there is no mention whatsoever.

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-20-06 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
r u joking? stallone has said everywhere that he denounces any and all things related to that movie. i mean it's a good thing that they cut the scene when Rocky says to Paulie "hey, remember that great fight i had on the street corner and defiled what was a great franchise until that point."
and considering it was so reviled and best forgotten it's great that there is no mention whatsoever.

Well, I'm just saying it's good that ROCKY VI is generally a washing of the bad taste that ROCKY V left in our collective mouths.
Old 12-20-06, 06:32 PM

I caught the 1:25 showing today. It was so nice to see Stallone end the series so well. The movie was very nostalgic, but in a good way. I loved the metaphors about real life with people doubting Rocky the same way they doubt Stallone with coming out with another Rocky flick. Stallone wasn't afraid to make fun of himself in the film. In my opinion if you don't get goosebumps or choke up during the training scene and final fight, you don't have a pulse. The movie wasn't perfect, but it gave Rocky and Stallone the respect that he deserves. Thank you Sly.
Old 12-20-06, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

Not a clip, no mention of Tommy Gunn. One would think you would at least get the last few minutes of the Tommy Gunn-Rocky Balboa street fight..

Does Rocky have brain damage in Rocky Balboa? We don't find out about the brain damage until Rocky 5, so if Stallone no longer considers 5 to be canon, then does Rocky still have brain damage?
Old 12-20-06, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Does Rocky have brain damage in Rocky Balboa? We don't find out about the brain damage until Rocky 5, so if Stallone no longer considers 5 to be canon, then does Rocky still have brain damage?
Nope. Only mention I think from Rocky 5 was when Rocky says "home team" to his kid.

Anyone know what the budget for Rocky Balboa was? I don't expect it to break records, but I'm rooting for it to do relatively well and for it to revive Stallone's career.
Old 12-20-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know what the budget for Rocky Balboa was? I don't expect it to break records, but I'm rooting for it to do relatively well and for it to revive Stallone's career.
IMDB says $24 million which I think coincides with another quote I read somewhere.
Old 12-20-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this film will make it's money back and show a handsome profit after international box office and DVD sales are factored in.
That said, I hope this doesn't revive his career. He needs to fade away gracefully( if that's even possible ).
Old 12-20-06, 07:56 PM

Just got back and admit it was enjoyable but not completely satisfying. My neighbor who is a big fan of the franchise loved it. I really enjoyed the subtle humor throughout but thought the training sequence was way too short. It seemed like the time Rocky decided to fight again up to the actual fight was a couple minutes. Fans of Rocky will like/love it and the casual fan should be entertained enough to feel they got their moneys worth.
Old 12-20-06, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Just got back and admit it was enjoyable but not completely satisfying. My neighbor who is a big fan of the franchise loved it. I really enjoyed the subtle humor throughout but thought the training sequence was way too short. It seemed like the time Rocky decided to fight again up to the actual fight was a couple minutes. Fans of Rocky will like/love it and the casual fan should be entertained enough to feel they got their moneys worth.
In regards to the training being too short... Stallone has already done pretty much everything you can in past training musical montages. People criticize Rocky 4 for being one big music video. He would be ripped if it was too long.
Old 12-20-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pardon my ignorance, but when did this movie open? Today?
Old 12-20-06, 08:08 PM

In regards to the training being too short... Stallone has already done pretty much everything you can in past training musical montages. People criticize Rocky 4 for being one big music video. He would be ripped if it was too long.
Yeah, that's true, but I didn't get drawn in emotionally since it was way too short during this film. I was really hoping to feel the grind and the stress Rocky was putting his body through at such an old age and then of course the inevitable vindication once he was done. It just felt too easy and quick but still enjoyable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.