Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Films of 2004 - what do you regret seeing?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst Films of 2004 - what do you regret seeing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 02:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by peon73
wow only 2 other people hated catwoman in this thread?!?!? i mean even open water had boobies. this crapwoman was just a disaster
Most of us avoided it completely. Hard to hate something you haven't seen.
Old 01-07-05, 03:22 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cygnet74
completely agree,
You sir, are completely insane.
but i can't say i regretted seeing them. they at least prompted endless spirited discussions with fans of these works. now, open water is a different story altogether, imo. this is a film completely devoid of entertainment and artistic merit.
I consider myself lucky in that I have more than enough opportunities to see really high quality movies in a cinema almost weekly, so when I say I regret seeing Garden State, it's because I saw it instead of, e.g., The Aviator or The Battle of Algiers, or something like that.
Old 01-07-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurotrip
Scary Movie 3

Haven't seen:
AVP
Catwoman
Oceans 12
Lemony Snicket
Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Chronicles of Riddick
The Village
The Day After Tomorrow

Hollywood puts out so much crap these days, it's just not worth wasting $7 to see it in the theatre. I only blow $7 if I know the movie is going to be great and something i'll enjoy.
Old 01-07-05, 05:47 PM

AVP
Van Helsing
The Forgotten (Cause I Spent Money On It)

And two which I guess nobody saw

Welcome To Mooseport
&
The Whole Ten Yards
Old 01-07-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The Whole Ten Yards is another crap-fest that I forgot about (thank God).

The Clearing was drab as hell, too.
Old 01-08-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't see much movies in 2004, but if I had to give the worst movies I saw:

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - I don't think this is a particularly bad film; it's just the one I liked the least in 2004. I was a little disappointed by Vince Vaughn since he was good in Old School. Still, it was worth all of the 50 cents I paid to see it.

Alien vs. Predator - Again, if compared to the all-time worst movies, it certainly doesn't hold a cake to movies like "Hollywood Boulevard." But, as far as mindless action goes, this one wins. But, you know what? I expected it. It's juvenile. But, I liked seeing Aliens fight Predators. But still, it's not nearly as good as many other movies I've seen this year.

The Ladykillers - A real disappointment for a Coen brothers movie. I'm just lucky I saw it for free (from the DVD moviecash). It had its moments. J.K. Simmons was good. But, overall, it was a miss for the Coens.
Old 01-08-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Resident Evil 2
The Grudge

It seems like there were more that I can't remember.
Old 01-11-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Village was easily the worst movie of 2004. What a ripoff.

But Without a Paddle comes in a distant second.
Old 01-11-05, 04:27 PM

Worst...

Although this movie came out in late 2003 (I watched it in early 2004 I think) I'd have to give it to Paycheck. Gotta admit some of us guys go to extreme measures to please our women.
Old 01-11-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Manchurian Candidate, not only because I'm very fond of the original, but because the new version was moderately well reviewed and my expectations were raised. I thought that it had ridiculous plot holes and wasn't believable at all.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I guess I really wanted it to be good because of the back story of its production technique. The reviews were pretty mixed and I took a chance. The images held my interest for about 15 minutes and the story wasn't compelling enough to maintain it. Again, a disappointment.

I usually try to read enough reviews to keep me away from anything that I think would be completely unlikeable. Probably the fact that both of these got some decent reviews (not all good by any means) and I had reasons to want to like them left the sour aftertaste.
Old 02-18-05, 05:46 PM

The Grudge, absolutely Awful!!
Old 02-19-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
The Village is the movie I wish I hadn't seen, and Shark Tale is the movie I wish I'd gotten my money back for because my son and I walked out after 30 minutes (I was actually grateful when he asked if we could please, please leave).

Hellboy and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were two of my favorite movies, even though they seem to be on several hated it lists.

Last edited by tasha99; 02-19-05 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Village
The Forgotten
Old 02-19-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
While I'm accustomed to seeing as much as possible, this year it was difficult for me to go out to the movies. As a result I only went to see movies I was fairly confident would be good. As a result, I don't have a real list of 'worst movies I saw this year'.

The only one that broke through was Alexander. I had five hours to kill in a strange city before catching a train. I decided to go see a movie and picked Alexander cause I knew it would eat up three hours. Wow. What a horrible film. Y'know, Spike Lee has made some pretty awful movies, but experiencing their trainwreck has always been entertaining. I have never seen anything as boring and confusing as Alexander. Not just of 2004, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen (and I've seen Caligula).

I really disliked The Villiage. But I have to admit, there were some fantastic scenes in it, and I really was liking it for the first hour or so, so it would be unfair to say it was completely awful.

Oh, and tomorrow I'll be seeing Catherine Breillat's new movie. For some reason, I'm pretty sure it may make my skinny list (who knows? Maybe even above Alexander).

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 02-19-05 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Couldn't agree with your review more (but I'd give 1/5). Simply don't understand the love for this film. Kept thinking the same thing as you, quirky DOES NOT equal intelligent. Ha, a completely white room. Ha, a shirt that matches wallpaper. Ha, waking up to see a knight. Ha, kill me to avoid this tedious movie with little to no genuine emotion or clever dialogue.
Old 02-19-05, 05:28 PM

the worst by far is:
the forgotten
white noise
alexander

i say alexander is the worst though because the other two were only 90 min.
Old 02-19-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't regret seeing anything - however, the following are movies I saw that I thought were fucking awful.

Sideways
Hellboy
The Village
Without a Paddle
Whole 10 Yards
King Arthur
Little Black Book
Saved!
Saw
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Dodgeball
Van Helsing
Stepford Wives
AvP
Resident Evil Apocalypse
Alone in the Dark
Shrek 2
Along Came Polly
Big Fish
Scary Movie 3
Torque
Mystic River
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton
Dogville
Day Without a Mexican
Jersey Girl
Hidalgo
Walking Tall
13 Going on 30
Troy
Bourne Supremacy
Open Water
Paparazzi
Wicker Park

I didn't see Monster, You Got Served, Passion of the Christ, Secret Window, Barbershop 2, Dirty Dancing: Havana NIghts, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, Birth, Taxi, Princess Diaries 2, New York Minute, Baby Geniuses 2, Christmas with the Kranks, Spongebob, Alexander, Polar Express or Cold Mountain or a bunch of other crap I'd probably not like... just cuz it's not on the list doesn't mean I liked it.