Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Seed of Chucky

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is this getting good buzz from?
Old 11-05-04, 10:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As far as I know, right now the screenings will be held the night before opening.
Old 11-05-04, 10:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
As far as I know, right now the screenings will be held the night before opening.
that's a bad sign.
Old 11-05-04, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
that's a bad sign.
Well, it means two things:

1) The studio be all like, "Hey, this movie stinks, but we don't want to have it known that it wasn't screened at all. We'll do it on Thursday night so papers won't be able to meet their Friday deadline."

or

2) The studio be all like, "Hey, we have a film that the critical community will frown upon, but the fans will like. Clearly Ebert isn't going to go nuts over a film where Chucky spunks in a cup, so let's screen it the day before it opens to avoid the 'not screened at all' bad press."

I'm guessing #2.
Old 11-05-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are interested in seeing this, would a bad review dissuade you? Of course not.
Old 11-05-04, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
If you are interested in seeing this, would a bad review dissuade you? Of course not.
...and that's why horror films traditionally open well, and why they rarely move past the core demo.
Old 11-05-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason I thought it might be screened for the critics is because the film (at least what i can tell from the previews) is a satire of hollywood....something all critics love. Thats just my take on it.
Old 11-05-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I hate the Chucky franchise. Well the original was cool but after that I lost interest.

With that said...Jennifer Tilly looks sooooo goood in "seed".
Old 11-08-04, 04:22 PM

I just talked to a rep from Rogue. The press screenings for CHUCKY are off in most markets, if not all.
Old 11-08-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least they have faith in it...
Old 11-08-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so that means no thursday night screenings?
Old 11-08-04, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by hapgilmore
so that means no thursday night screenings?
That's what it looks like right now.
Old 11-09-04, 07:47 PM

Interesting. I haven't heard of the same happening in Canada. I have a pass for the screening on the desk next to me and despite not being given it by the Odeon Films (Canadian distributor of Focus and Rogue) rep, he sent out an email yesterday inviting us to RSVP if we wanted to attend.
Old 11-09-04, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Mark McLeod
Interesting. I haven't heard of the same happening in Canada. I have a pass for the screening on the desk next to me and despite not being given it by the Odeon Films (Canadian distributor of Focus and Rogue) rep, he sent out an email yesterday inviting us to RSVP if we wanted to attend.
Then go man, go! I would love to hear how it is.
Old 11-10-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Usually no press screenings is a big red flag, but if they didn't screen Bride of Chucky either than I'm not worried, because I loved that. I'll see a Chucky flick even if the reviews are shite...because Chucky is the MAN.

MATT
Old 11-11-04, 09:29 PM

I just came from a screening of this (not a press screening--it was sponsored by a local radio station). I've never seen any of the previous Chucky movies, so I can't compare this one to them, but hey...it made me laugh quite a bit, Jennifer Tilly was good, we got an eyeful of her cleavage, and it was free. So yeah, it was a good night.

At the very least, I'm now interested in seeing Bride of Chucky--I really liked JT as Tiffany. The movie had a lot of meta-jokes, and made a little (good-natured) fun of Jennifer.
Old 11-12-04, 01:10 AM

In one word.

Godawful.

My collegue and I consider walking out numerous times but since it was a long trip out to the theatre we stuck it out.

And yeah, no press screening here but the evening promo screening still went on. They shouldn't have had that though. The line was a decent length but once they let that in no one else seemed to arrive.

Man what a dreadful movie.

Though I did like the Chucky doll. It's cool, too bad the movie is shit
Old 11-12-04, 10:13 AM

JoBlo

review

"Wait for video, buy yourself a Chucky doll, get drunk and enjoy the tomfoolery displayed on screen. Seriously though...don't take this one too seriously and you might just enjoy most of it. Oh and a big thank you to Mr. Don Mancini and everyone behind this film for finally giving a horror/sci-fi flick the rating that it deserves: R!!"
Old 11-12-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard great reviews from http://www.fangoria.com and http://www.bloody-disgusting.com and http://www.arrowinthehead.com
Old 11-12-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seed of Chucky review thread

I saw this today...its so irreverant i can't believe someone was given money to make this...but i enjoyed it....very entertaining but not as good as "Bride"
Old 11-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was funny, not as good as bride, but not all that great either. I think its steam has finally run out. Chucky was the only reason to see the movie, the rest were boring.
Old 11-12-04, 11:03 PM

JoBlo

review

"if you're expecting an all-out solid horror/comedy, there's no need to take 85 minutes out of your schedule to see this one in theaters. Wait for video, buy yourself a Chucky doll, get drunk and enjoy the tomfoolery displayed on screen. Seriously though...don't take this one too seriously and you might just enjoy most of it. Oh and a big thank you to Mr. Don Mancini and everyone behind this film for finally giving a horror/sci-fi flick the rating that it deserves: R!!"

Film Jerk

review

"Of course, logically speaking, Mancini should’ve been the man to hit this sequel out of the park. But all the filmmaker is capable of is creating the worst, most deliberately unfunny Chucky feature film to date."
Old 11-13-04, 11:03 AM
Li

I saw this last night because there was really nothing else to see. When I saw the trailer I said "no way in hell am I paying to see that", since I thought Bride was awful and am not a fan of Tilly as the girl doll. I knew it was going to be terrible but I saw it anyway. I tried to keep an open mind but this movie was JUST NOT FUNNY. I tired, I really did, but no... just no...

Did anyone find really strange how Tilly played a character in Bride and then plays herself in this one? I just didn't get the logic behind any of that...

Oh, and this movie is going to do TERRIBLE. There were probably 15 people in a very huge theater last night. Hopefully this will convince them to never make another one again...

Last edited by Li; 11-13-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-13-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It made over 3 million on Friday night. It'll do okay, probably just as good as Bride of Chucky did.
Old 11-13-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was funny and wasn't Glen the ugliest thing ever?
I went in thinking if its like Bride, then it'll be okay; I just had fun with it. I didn't take it seriuosly. Kudos to them adding the gore.

If you want something more artistic and meaty, then go see Finding Neverland, but if you are looking for some Halloween leftovers, then check it out. Grade: B-

Last edited by jonpeters; 11-13-04 at 03:21 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.