Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Old 01-02-03, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard this Cleric was recently spotted at some dollar theaters. A shame.

Old 01-10-03, 05:09 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
slim chance, but doesn't anyone know if it's playing anywhere in or around the los angeles area?

--HN
Old 01-10-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's playing in Milpitas, Ca. It's north of San Jose.
Old 01-11-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Has a DVD release date been announced yet?
Seems that'll be the only way I'll be able to see this film.
Old 01-11-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought I saw at HTF that it was coming out in May. Hopefully Miramax will see its way to throwing us a few extras.
Old 01-12-03, 01:38 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mrhan
It's playing in Milpitas, Ca. It's north of San Jose.
Thanks for the info . However, it's a tad far . Hope it's a kickass DVD!

--HN
Old 01-12-03, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HN
Thanks for the info . However, it's a tad far . Hope it's a kickass DVD!

--HN
Yeah, 400 odd miles to see a movie is a bit far to say the least, but in the whole San Francisco bay area it's the only place. I checked L.A. on Yahoo movies just to make sure and it's not playing anywhere down there.
Old 04-20-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just saw this movie, it was kickass!
Old 04-20-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes it's playing at Tokyo.It's renamed Rebellion. The Japanese could not get into the story that much, its the action they like.But it's not a big hit. LOTR still rules the cinema's in Tokyo. I really liked the movie.Gonna get the DVD as soon it gets released
Old 04-20-03, 08:45 PM

Genre: Sci-Fi / Fantasy Sound Format: 5.1
Studio: Buena Vista Screen Format: LBX / 16:9
Rating: Theatre Release: 2002
MSRP: $29.99 DVD Release: 2003-05-13
Discs: 1

from DVDPriceSearch.com

cant wait to see it

EDIT: Pre-Order up at BestBuy.com
Old 04-20-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm about to watch it. I love the internet
Old 04-21-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EQuilibrium
A film review by Joey Fernandez

My summer movie watching began yesterday. Fortunately since, we get our movies delayed here, all the movies piled up serendipitously on the week after Holy Week. So I will watch Equilibrium, Phone Booth and A Man Apart. Equilibrium I saw yesterday. And I will give it a 5 stars out of 5. Why so high? Because of something called Bullet or Gun Kung Fu. If Hong Kong created Bullet Ballets, Kurt Wimmer, the director of this movie, created Bullet Fu. Imagine doing Kung Fu with hands AND guns! Absolutely amazing! In the introduction of the movie, they show a computerized demonstration of how it works. Basically, the concept behind it is, when a man fires a gun, he shoots it in a certain way. If you can anticipate through intuition, where this man will fire next, you can dodge the attack, and kill the opponent. It is NOT Matrix, where you slow down time, this method helps you avoid the bullet before it is even fired. And it is brought into full fruition at the end of the movie. The sequence is not long, it is a tad bit short even. But it is worth the whole movie. And the 5 stars.

Now what about the story, the story sucked. It was like Minority Report, Bladerunner, the 1984 Apple Macintosh commercial, Metropolis, Matrix rolled into one. Future Noir, I guess. Obviously inspired by George Orwellís classic, 1984. So it was quite weak here coz of itís many steals.

There is something, however, that I would like to call the independent action world. Rob Bowman directed Reign of Fire, which starred Christian Bale. Christian Bale is the main actor of this movie. The main adversary in this movie, is a character called Father. That acter, Sean Pertwee, came out in Dog Soldiers. Kevin McKidd was in Dog Soldiers and also played Tommy MacKenzie in Trainspotting. Trainspotting was directed by Danny Boyle, who also just made 28 Days Later, a zombie future cult classic. Emily Watson was also in Equlibrium, and also the great Sean Bean, 006 Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye. Whew. A bit geeky, I know. But they are all part of an independent action movement that includes Guy Ritchie. And what do you know, Kurt Wimmer is British, too. Letís go Eng-eeeland!

And so I have no choice, but to highly recommend this movie. Itís a must-see. And I have a feeling it will be out of the movie theaters by Wednesday, which means you have tonite and tomorrow to watch it. Itís showing in Rockwell and not in Greenbelt.

http://www.clickthecity.com/movie/movie.asp?movid=7926

And now I have to watch Phone Booth.
Old 04-21-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joeydaninja
EQuilibrium
A film review by Joey Fernandez
There is something, however, that I would like to call the independent action world. Rob Bowman directed Reign of Fire, which starred Christian Bale. Christian Bale is the main actor of this movie. The main adversary in this movie, is a character called Father. That acter, Sean Pertwee, came out in Dog Soldiers. Kevin McKidd was in Dog Soldiers and also played Tommy MacKenzie in Trainspotting. Trainspotting was directed by Danny Boyle, who also just made 28 Days Later, a zombie future cult classic. Emily Watson was also in Equlibrium, and also the great Sean Bean, 006 Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye. Whew. A bit geeky, I know. But they are all part of an independent action movement that includes Guy Ritchie. And what do you know, Kurt Wimmer is British, too. Letís go Eng-eeeland!
What exactly does all of this paragraph mean?
Old 04-22-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like an English version of "degrees of Kevin Bacon."
Old 04-22-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally it has been the best movie so far for me this year... I wont hesitate to pick it up 1st day on DVD.
Old 04-22-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note to Reviewers (not just the one posted above, I've seen it in several): Please don't suggest that Equilibrium "borrowed" from Mintority Report. Eq wrapped months before MR began filming, it was just stuck in the can for along time.

Also, why do several reviews say that Preston was listening to Jazz in one memorable scene? Not only is the music clearly Classical, but Preston actually reads aloud "Ludwig van Beethoven" off of the recording.
Old 05-30-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw Equilibrium tonight for the first time, and I was floored. I wish I had seen this movie earlier.

I agree that it had some elements of the book F451, but that's not a bad thing to me. Did anyone else get the Metropolis feel while watching it? (I don't know if it's been mentioned...I don't feel like scrolling back through all the pages).

THe gunplay/swordfighting scenes were incredible. Bale was fantastic, and it makes me even more excited to see him as Bruce Wayne/Batman soon.

One thing I really liked was when
Spoiler:
Sean Bean was reading the book, and he was reading it backwards. To me, that showed alot of detail recognizing that the people didn't know HOW to read

Not much else to say (because it's late), but I'm gonna have to pick this up b/c it is certainly a film worth repeated viewings.
Old 05-30-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kurt Wimmer is working on his new film with Milla Jovovich called "Ultraviolet"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370032/

From an interview with Wimmer it is supposed to have 'what gun-kata was supposed to have been'. He said it wasn't gun-kata 2.0, but just what he originally wanted to do with it, but couldn't, for whatever reason.
Old 05-30-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
From an interview with Wimmer it is supposed to have 'what gun-kata was supposed to have been'. He said it wasn't gun-kata 2.0, but just what he originally wanted to do with it, but couldn't, for whatever reason.
After listening to the director's commentary, I'll take a wild guess as to why he didn't have what he really, really wanted: money.
Old 05-31-04, 09:26 AM

reubs thats interesting how he read the book backwards, i always thought that was a mistake. i used to notice in a lot of cartoons that people would read books and magazines flipping the pages backwards. i never thought that it could be because, they didnt know how to read. although it was more like he was going through the pages, like he was in awe of the book and how good it was that he was goin back and forth.
Old 05-31-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I liked everything, except for Taye Diggs.
Old 05-31-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

stu; yeah i noticed that too in a lot of cartoons. they almost always read backwards. i always assumed it was because that was easier to draw
Old 05-31-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by atari2600
stu; yeah i noticed that too in a lot of cartoons. they almost always read backwards. i always assumed it was because that was easier to draw
From a few commentaries i've seen, it's ususally because cartoons are animated in asian countries, where books are read "backwards"
Old 05-31-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I gave it 7/10...
Old 05-31-04, 11:00 PM
Banned

I'll give it a 4/10.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.