Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Old 05-31-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give it 7/10
Old 08-28-05, 07:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Cool movie, cross between the matrix and logan's run with a little 1984 thrown in. never heard of this movie after hearing about it on this site rented it and was surprised how good it was. If you haven't seen it and like sci-fi action films check it out.
Old 08-28-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this movie was definitely a surprise; if you like action/sci-fi movies, or something matrix-like, then grab this one. Be sure to listen to the commentary, where the director goes on about how people say he plagurized all kinds of different movies, he takes it in stride... hearing how much of a shoestring budget this was done on, was interesting too.... it was probably one of the better commentaries I've listened to.
Old 08-28-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old thread but I will chime in. I also rented (and now bought) this movie based on what I heard here. I loved this movie! But I know this movie has an either you love it or you hate it. IMO, Christian Bale was just bad ass in it!
Old 08-30-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bought this movie when it was released on DVD based on the DVD-Talk hype. Learned my lesson about DVDtalk hype.
Old 08-30-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated material about Wimmer's next film "Ultraviolet"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370032/

It sounds awesome; can't wait to see this one.
Old 03-30-06, 09:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
where's the love...

i just saw this again on my shiny R3 DTS and man this is such an entertaining flick!!!

the action scenes were great and i was tense throughout. the DTS blew me away on this, but the movie itself was pretty damn good. i said so before and i am reiterating again. this is a Sci-Fi flick not to be missed!
Old 03-30-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I clicked on this link because of how much I thought Equilibrium kicked ass only to find that he also did Ultraviolet!?!?! Widely considered one of the worst movies ever widely released!?! Say it isn't so, I guess I'll have to buck the reviews and give Ultraviolet a shot, I know it's playing in my local discount theater right now.
Old 03-30-06, 02:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Widely considered one of the worst movies ever widely released!?!
links?
Old 03-30-06, 02:40 PM

9% on rottentomatoes. not gigli bad but still pretty bad.
Old 03-30-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kurt Wimmer has publicly said that Ultraviolet, as it exists now, is not his film.

It's not his edit, his music, his special effects, etc... of course i'm guessing that Sony realized the movie wasn't turning out how they wanted, so they took it away from him and finished it themselves...I wonder which version would have been better?

I remember reading something where Milla Jovovich was asked what Kurt thought of the film, and she said "I don't know, I haven't talked to Kurt"....which basically means that for quite a while now (many many months) he hasn't been near the film, and Sony has.

Who knows, maybe both versions sucked, but it definitely would have been different. I know that Sony put a "blurry" look over the whole film, which was not there in initial test screenings, in order to cover up their crappy effects.
Old 03-30-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
links?
A possible overexaggeration due to my surprise, but I think the best thing I've read about it so far was one critic saying it was 'mercifully short.' It makes more sense reading that he didn't have much say and Sony took it over, but I'll still give it a shot out of nothing but idiotic optimism.