Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Equilibrium: reviews - what gives?

Old 12-08-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Absolutely 10 our of 10 5 stars the works. This movie is as good as it gets. And everyone needs to go out & support it.
I would if they had released the damn thing around here. Dimension did the same thing earlier this year with Below. It seems that they can afford to produce movies, but can't find two dimes to promote them.
Old 12-09-02, 01:09 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my god - I saw this movie tonight, and it totally rocked! Imagine the "Wow" feeling you had when you first saw the lobby shootout in the Matrix. The opening of the film was that cool . . . and it was only the 3rd coolest scene in the whole movie.

For a movie that completely slipped in under the radar, I was pleasantly surprised. Quite possibly the best action film I've seen this year (and considering some of the heavy hitters that have come out - Star Wars, Bond, Spiderman - that's saying something.

A pox on Disney/Miramax/Dimension films for completely mishandling the marketing of this film. It would appear that they learned nothing from their ham-fisted approach when marketing Princess Mononoke.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 12-09-02 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-09-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ahhh! every word i read in this thread makes me want to see this movie more and more!
Old 12-09-02, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from this movie and it gets my three letters of approval...

DVD

Old 12-09-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw it on saturday. great movie. the action scenes were amazing... when there were action scenes. it moved somewhat slowly in parts, but overall, the story was decent and the action was incredible.

Spoiler:
how about the part when he knocks those shotguns around into his own hands? sweet! even though my friends and i were thinking about it... you'd have to have one hell of a loose grip on your shotgun for that to happen.

why didn't he just shoot those guys in the warehouse instead of beating them with his guns?

and the wink he gives to taye diggs when he turns everything around on him... pretty cool

and when the lie detector goes flatline and then he proceeds to kick butt... awesome scene.

and then... you think you're about to see an awesome swordfight between diggs and bale... and you couldn't be more wrong.

and that puppy was so cute. awwwwwwww... but it killed me to hear them shooting those dogs.

one groan moment... the "underground" movement is where? undergound. grooooooaaaaaan.

it's a shame such a good movie is in such limited release. also, it very tough for a futuristic action movie to be made nowadays and not be compared to the matrix. and that's simply not fair to this movie.

and made for only 20 mil? very impressive.

i liked this movie a lot. best i've ever seen? no, but DEFINITELY worth seeing.
Old 12-09-02, 01:25 PM

Spoiler:
I hated that when the soldiers attacked the rebels/sense offendors, none of the soldiers died. And how it was reversed in the end - when they raided the government place at the end, only soldiers died, no rebels Other than that it was ok!
Old 12-09-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In awe

After i saw the trailer... i wanted to see this flix.

It started nice, kinda drag in the middle - But towards the end... all i can say is it was worth it. The fight scenes were awesome. Bale was great.

Cant wait for the DVD version.
Old 12-09-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for not spoiling it guys. i really want to read whats inblack but im refraining myself.

must. see. this. movie.
Old 12-09-02, 05:39 PM
Banned

Saw it last night. FABULOUS. Reminded me of Gattaca, but with 3 big action scenes.
Old 12-09-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the most entertaining movies of the year. I watched it earlier today and the crowd were all guys. There were probably 10 people total. At first some of the audience didn't buy the action scenes and laughed at it but by the end, everybody was cheering for Bale. I'm glad the whole theater got into it. I hope this movie will get more media attention. DVD for sure! This movie gets an "A" imho.
Old 12-09-02, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by matrixrok9
One of the most entertaining movies of the year. I watched it earlier today and the crowd were all guys. There were probably 10 people total. At first some of the audience didn't buy the action scenes and laughed at it but by the end, everybody was cheering for Bale. I'm glad the whole theater got into it. I hope this movie will get more media attention. DVD for sure! This movie gets an "A" imho.
I'd like to point out that I laugh gleefully during the action scenes in this movie (and Desperado, etc). It's not from a lack of respect or 'not buying it', but from sheer glee. I LOVE those scenes, and I have a GREAT time watching them.

Everyone who enjoys good action or sci fi should see Equilibrium in the theater.
Old 12-10-02, 03:04 AM
Banned

Maybe we can hope for a Big Fat Greek Wedding type of resurgence, although I really doubt it.
Old 12-10-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Took my girlfriend to it last night, both of us loved it! It's really great to see a movie with thought...and action. I was VERY impressed. Very stylish, very unique (despite all these comparisons). See it if you can.

Can't wait for the DVD.
Old 12-10-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow!! This movie, without even being released on DVD yet, is very close to Bring It On type praise. For any long standing members here, they may remember that when Bring It On first came on DVD it was oddly the most praised movie ever in this forum.

The praise for this movie is overwhelming so far & deseverdly so, if anything I think it deserves even more praise. The movie is hardcore pure sci-fi, with a very engaging story, & the most impressive thing of all is that most (myself including) people say the fight scenes are better than the Matrix & the movie costs under $20 million to make. That really is incredible.
Old 12-10-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy crap.. You guys are getting me REALLY pumped to see this movie!!! I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm not expecting an epic story or deep characters, just a kick-ass, adrenaline pumping, action-fest. If that's what I get then I'll be really happy. Gonna check this out as soon as my bro comes to visit. Can't wait!!!
Old 12-10-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally saw it last night. Very cool flick. I agree with a whoever said it was "Gattaca" with a few action sequences thrown in here and there. This movie had so many cool moments.

Spoiler:
The flatline is probably the coolest sequence I've ever seen.

I couldn't stop grinning at the beginning when Sean Bean & Christian Bale are getting ready to start some sh*t.

"You hear anything? Is he dead?" - classic stuff

I totally agree with Ebert, "it's mindless action movie with a mind."

Old 12-10-02, 06:01 PM

damn, now I definately add this to resee this on DVD, since the theatre I saw it at was a rather small screen and non-digital 4-channel presentation. The supporting cast really surprised me since I really only knew that Bale, Diggs, and Watson were in it the appearence of
Spoiler:
Sean Bean, Angus "Robert the Bruce" MacFadyen and William Fichtner
were great.

Last edited by Giles; 12-10-02 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El Gray
I'd like to point out that I laugh gleefully during the action scenes in this movie (and Desperado, etc). It's not from a lack of respect or 'not buying it', but from sheer glee. I LOVE those scenes, and I have a GREAT time watching them.

Everyone who enjoys good action or sci fi should see Equilibrium in the theater.
I must say I get the same way. A friend once told me I was giddy like a school girl during a movie.
Old 12-11-02, 02:07 AM

I loved the movie too! As did all my friends - it even got an impressive applause by the audience at the end, and throughout the movie you'd hear people saying "oh my god" "holy sh*t!!" and such. The atmosphere was perfect, the setting, the way it was filmed, I loved every bit of it. Definitely will pick up the DVD.
Old 12-11-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you can stomach the horrendous prologue, forgive the Metropolis ripoffs, and ignore the political shorthand, Equilibrium provides a fun ride with a slight subversive edge. Granted, the whole depiction of fascism is so heavy handed that any ambivalence about a bloody revolution is easily dismissed. But there are sly moments that Bale's enlightened ubermensch may be just as dangerous as the regime in power.

As to comparisons to The Matrix and Gattaca, Equilibrium paints with the same broad strokes. While not as intelligent as Gattaca, it does have a stronger grasp on violence than the video game stylings of The Matrix.

Interesting that Below was brought up in this thread (they're both Dimension right?) I'd classify both of these films as decent. They have strong themes, some deft execution, and a few memorable moments, but overall, too empty to make a lasting impression.

Also about Taye Diggs:
Spoiler:
When his face came sliding off I was immediately reminded of Takashi Miike's Ichi the Killer (a man is sliced in half and slowly splits apart). Regardless though, that was a quality kill.
Old 12-11-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought I was the only one who got 'giddy' during the action scenes. It's good to know I'm not alone.

The sheer glee that overwhelms an action fan during this movie in incredible. It's like someone made a movie just for us.

D
Old 12-11-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

oh man, i had forgotten about the prologue. that was pretty bad. i was like, "i can hear, no need to put it on the screen, too!" and what they put on the screen was only part of what they were saying, so it made no sense why they were even putting words up.

speaking of bloody revolution

Spoiler:
after he kills all those guys at the end (as well as diggs)... there is not ONE spot of blood on his pristine white suit... even though he just carved guys up with a sword. that was a little unbelievable. then he has blood on him at the end, that i guess he got somewhere along the way.

oh one other cool part... when he broke that guys arm, and it sent out a little mist of blood... whoa.
Old 12-11-02, 01:24 PM
Banned

Box office figures are in, it made less than 1 million over the weekend unfortunately, so unless people go out and support it, things don't look very good for this movie. Of course, it's also only playing at 301 theatres. Critically it hasn't been doing too well either; on rottentomatoes.com only 20 percent of reviewers across the country are giving it favorable reviews....
Old 12-12-02, 12:04 AM

I wonder why the studio didn't give this movie more of a chance for success. It probably could have made its money back at least. I loved it and can't wait to own it, but would be ecstatic if it got a wider release and maybe had some legs. Word of mouth among action and sci-fi fans could make it successful, especially based on its' $20 million budget. If it does disappear from theatres after this week, it will definitely get a cult following later down the road.

Maybe if they had waited and released it a few weeks or a month before the new Matrix movie it would have gotten some attention. I'm not saying it is like the Matrix, but that critics like the comparison and the movie could benefit.
Old 12-12-02, 12:35 AM

imma see this one tomorrow after my history final.

probably anyway.

we'll see how the f***ing final goes. :P

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.