Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. IV

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. IV

Old 05-21-01, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Anybody know when Spriggan is coming to DVD? With Akira coming out, I would think that Spriggan would follow soon. Am I crazy?
Spriggan is reportedly supposed to be released in theaters first before DVD for domestic release. But we shall see. Jin-Roh is released theatrically in limited runs. Both are quite good.
Old 05-21-01, 07:19 PM

Talking to myself...

Anyway - I watched the entire Agent Aika: Naked Missions disc. Holy jesus it sucks. Avoid unless you are REALLY into gratuitous panty shots. I know it's probably supposed to be funny, but it's not. It's just lame.

So someone answer me about Spriggan.
This anime was created out of "fan service"...so basically it has no plot, just a lot of "fan service".

If you have known about it, you probably should not have bought it. I have known about Aika since I was shown it like 2-3 years ago. So I knew what to expect.
Old 05-22-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ghym... I've seen a bit of Cardcaptor Sakura - it's cute, but a little too much geared for kids than I like. I think it's better than Sailor Moon.

Eig - I didn't know anything about it when I bought it - but I figured once I started watching it that it was just fan service. I'll be selling it, so it's not a total loss.

I can't wait for Spriggan - if it's coming this Fall, then perhaps we'll see it up for preorder in the next few months.

I watched 3X3 Eyes again with a bit more of an open mind and I actually kinda enjoyed it. I suppose I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10 which isn't bad. I think before when I saw it I rated it like a 3 or 4... The transfer on the DVD is lousy - looks like it came from a video source cuz images seem to ghost sometimes.
Old 05-22-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched 3X3 Eyes again with a bit more of an open mind and I actually kinda enjoyed it. I suppose I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10 which isn't bad. I think before when I saw it I rated it like a 3 or 4... The transfer on the DVD is lousy - looks like it came from a video source cuz images seem to ghost sometimes.
I like the first 3X3 Eyes OVA series, but I really didn't care for the second. The characters justed changed too much between the two series. I've heard that some time passed between the making of the two series and that a lot had happened in the manga in the meantime.
Old 05-23-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched disc 3 of Nadesico and started on Disc 4 to discover a nice Trailer for Spriggan. Can't wait for that one.
Old 05-23-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting on my copy of Nadesico #5 to ship. It's in an order with Gasaraki #5, so that's holding it up. Also, ADV announced that disc 6 of Nadesico will be released on 8/28/01. Gotta wait a few extra months for the last one, but they want the VHS and DVD releases to end at the same time.
Old 05-23-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But I've seen all the episodes up to #39, but I refuse to watch the final episode.
Old 05-23-01, 12:57 PM

3x3 Eyes (or aka "Sazan Eyes" which is the way 3x3 is pronounced) - The first OVA and 2nd OVA were made quite a few years apart, if I remember, I think it was like 4 years apart and the manga has progressed rapidly. What the OVA did was the first OVA settled on the beginning of the manga. The 2nd OVA skipped a whole slew of plot and concentrated on the current manga releases when the script was made. The 2nd OVA also sets up for a 3rd installment, which has yet to be announced, but I think will come out eventually in due time.

Nadesico ends really nicely, and which the movie continues on the story plot of the series. The movie will not make sense unless you have watched the series.

Gasaraki has been transgressing really well, except ADV hasn't been transgressing the release date for this great series. I have the original R2 DVDs, and the story plot is just awesome. You will need to finish this series!!

Spriggan is also great. I own the R2 DVD version, and I just love the movie. Too bad it may not get the same justice as the R2 DVD. We'll see.

Aika - It's only great if you like to laugh and have fun with panties. Lots and lots of panty shots. Countless of panty shots of all variety!! A total "fan service" for desperate guys who have no gf's.
Old 05-24-01, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok... I will stick with Gasaraki through the end. And I watched Aika with my girlfriend - we both thought it was stupid. We got a chuckle or two during the first and second episode, but by then it just got old and by then we were really tired of looking at panties. But it's true - every damn chance they had they stuck in a panty shot.

Has anybody else finished the Legend Of Black Heaven yet? I finished it and would like to know what others thought about it. Same with Sol Bianca... Is it just me or did this one seem like it needed about 10 - 15 more minutes each episode to fill it out a little?
Old 05-24-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trigger, I loved Black Heaven. The series as a whole was short, but good. It was a quirky show that emphasised the characters over the action, which I liked. I really liked the ending, but thought it was a little rushed. It could have used another 15 minutes or they could have just stretched it to one more episode. However, I really liked the final scene and found it a touching and appropriate ending.
Old 05-25-01, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah me too... I felt a tear starting to well-up. Not as bad as with Bebop's ending, but still... I'm a sucker for sentiment. Are you a musician by chance?
Old 05-25-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kinda, I played the violin from middle school through high school. I was an above average player and did good in competitions, but I wasn't anything special. I've got a guitar, but I don't really know how to play it that well. I keep meaning to learn it, but stuff always comes up.
Old 05-26-01, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ghym
Kinda, I played the violin from middle school through high school. I was an above average player and did good in competitions, but I wasn't anything special. I've got a guitar, but I don't really know how to play it that well. I keep meaning to learn it, but stuff always comes up.
Is this what you'll say when it comes time for you to save our space?! Hard Rock Save Our Space! ^_^
Old 05-26-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if classical music can save space, I'll help out. If they need me to play rock then we're screwed.
Old 05-27-01, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if punk-rock can save our space...
Old 05-28-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is Evangelion pronounced? Is it eh-van-gel-lee-on OR eh-van-gall-ee-on OR something else? Thanks
Old 05-28-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nosebleed
eh-van-gel-lee-on
i'm pretty sure about this.
Old 05-28-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tofubomb
Originally posted by Nosebleed
eh-van-gel-lee-on
i'm pretty sure about this.
Thanks, that's what I thought. A friend pronounces it the other way and I always thought it sounded odd.
Old 05-28-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nosebleed
Thanks, that's what I thought. A friend pronounces it the other way and I always thought it sounded odd.
you're right. that does sound odd.
Old 05-29-01, 02:55 AM

The way the Japanese titled the show, it is pronounced something like:

Ay-Va-Gay-Lee-Ohn
(エヴァゲリオン) <- this is in S-Jis (Japanese character)

Based on the katakana spelling of the original Japanese title.
Old 05-29-01, 02:58 AM

Cowboy Bebop Boxset

It's been confirmed on animeondvd.com that a separate boxset with boxset stuff will not be sold separately to those who already bought the DVDs. So, Bandai will not be selling the boxset box and stuff separately, meaning, if you want the boxset, then you will have to sell your DVDs now before there is a glut of people selling their existing DVDs for the boxset version.
Old 05-29-01, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Eig - any confirmation of a release date or what will be included? Is it going to be worth selling and re-purchasing?
Old 05-29-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They still haven't released info on what extras there will be yet. It's being released in November last I heard. They had better be the best extras I've ever seen, or it won't be worth it to me. I think I'm probably going to stick with the Bebop discs I already have.
Old 05-29-01, 11:30 AM

Thanks Eig - any confirmation of a release date or what will be included? Is it going to be worth selling and re-purchasing?
According to the Bandai rep, yes.

But sell now and wait for the boxset. There are gonna be some pissed off fans around November when they can't sell of their CB discs because there's gonna be a glut of them on ebay and none of them sell.

----

There are concerns as to what the boxset will contain that will make the boxset $20 more expensive than having the 6 Discs by themselves. My guess is not only the box that it comes in, but it will include an extra DVD. Guesses are the movie will come with it. I also speculate that the extra DVD might be the "Session #0" which is only available in Japan, and Bandai US finally got the rights to it. Hmm, maybe it will come with a special figurine of Spike or something of that sort, and any other features a usual good boxset will come (if Bandai U.S. chooses to do what the Japanese do for their ltd. ed. boxsets).

[Edited by The Eigeman on 05-29-01 at 09:37 AM]
Old 05-29-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the release date of the Cowboy Bebop boxset will be 11/6/01. I can't remember where I saw that, but I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.