Community
Search

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-01, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
New Thread - New News

Finally - Akira is available for pre-order in 2 editions. A regular edition and a Special Edition Tin (first 75000 come in Tin and after that a regular case). The cheapest place I've found it is at bestprices.com but feel free to go to Amazon or elsewhere. While we're at it though, I should mention that if you plan to buy Anime DVDs - you should really check http://www.bestprices.com first because they have tons of titles at 44% off.

It should be an amazing DVD with a digitally remastered transfer and a new dub (gasp). I'm hyped up for it. {edit} There is currently a debate going on in another thread about Tins as this will come in a tin as you can see. I posted the picture so you could see that the Tin for Akira is not the same kind of Tin used for Anchor Bay special releases. Feel free to find the Akira Tin thread to jump in on all the Tin action! ^_^ {/edit}
Back to Business...

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss Anime in general or ask specific questions about certain films. You are more likely to get your questions answered and your posts read if you put them here. Those who are interested in Anime can simply keep up with one thread instead of hunting around for anime related threads.

Also feel free to check out the Guide to Anime at this link:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=88502
Feel free to contribute as well.

This system of having these two threads worked great a few months ago. Here's the link to Part 2 of the thread. Part 1 is gone. Part 3 is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Please continue your discussions here and have a good time. ^_^

<small> edited to add pictures and to mention Akira thread

[Edited by Trigger on 05-07-01 at 04:25 AM]
Old 05-05-01, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bestprices.com seems to have some pretty good deals. No gaps in the pre-order sections either ^_^ Thanks Trigger!

Anime-seekers might also wanna give http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com a shot ... they don't have nearly as large an inventory, but titles are discounted even more drastically and shipping is free Turn-around time is great too - my order for NightWalker Volume I shipped 2 days after confirmation.

Has anyone seen Rayearth Season 2 yet? I'm a bit wary about plunking down the cash for this one; it's supposed to be fantastic, but I didn't like Season 1 all that much -_-;

Lastly - any tentative release dates for the rest of the Utena series? I deleted the .mpg episodes from my HD after spending all night and morning watching seasons 2 and 3 on Media Player ... then vowed only to watch them on DVD after that ^_^* But it's taking rather long ... especially since the Utena Movie is coming to DVD quite soon. Argh, I hate when things go out of order like that
Old 05-05-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PhoenixFlame
Lastly - any tentative release dates for the rest of the Utena series? I deleted the .mpg episodes from my HD after spending all night and morning watching seasons 2 and 3 on Media Player ... then vowed only to watch them on DVD after that ^_^* But it's taking rather long ... especially since the Utena Movie is coming to DVD quite soon. Argh, I hate when things go out of order like that
CPM is having trouble with the licensing of the series. The licensor has demanded that they renegotiate the terms of their existing contract. So who knows when that will get cleared up.
I am glad that the movie is getting released. I can't wait to watch it.

Anyone else watching Saber Marionette J? I was surprised by this series. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected.
Old 05-06-01, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was reading somewhere that the Cowboy Bebop Box Set is still under debate - they don't know what they want to include as an extra yet and they aren't even sure if they're going to release it... but maybe I'm just speculating. here's a quote:

No word on yet on a Cowboy Bebop box set. They are still kicking around ideas for the extras (posters, toys, or extra disc) for the box set. It should be noted, that box sets in general are an attempt to increase interest and sales in a series and if the series is selling well, chances are decreased for a box set.
What's the latest word on the Movie?

Anybody have Session #0? I want to know what that's like.
Old 05-07-01, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GJKowal
Anyone else watching Saber Marionette J? I was surprised by this series. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected.
Actually - yes... I'm really digging this series. It's similar to what I've seen of Tenchi, and it's kinda like Dual without the mechs. I don't know... it came as a surprise to me too - didn't expect it to be this good.

Also - I don't think I mentioned this since the first Anime Discussion thread (which is long gone now), but anyone here ever check out http://www.sputnik7.com ? If not, then you might want to. It has some great video on demand of some classic Manga releases. Nothing noteworthy I guess, but it depends on your taste. They add new stuff every once in awhile so it pays off to check it out frequently. I'm sure you've all heard of that site, but just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't. ^_^
Old 05-07-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Anybody have Session #0? I want to know what that's like.
Well, the extras that are on the Cowboy Bebop DVDs were taken from Session 0. I don't know if they used everything from Session 0, but I think that would probably give you a good idea of what else might be on it. The box set will have to have some really nice extras for me to purchase the series again. If it's just a box then I'll probably pass.
Old 05-07-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but it would really be nice to have a box to put the set in. I could probably half.com the ones I have for 20 bucks each and pick up the box set at about 17 bucks per disc and come out on top. I don't know - time will tell. It will be interesting to see what the box set will be like.

I'm getting really anxious for the Akira Tin though.

There's a bunch of great stuff coming out... it like snuck up on me. Anybody see the Agent Aika stuff? I just got the 2nd disc today.
Old 05-08-01, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agent Aika - I've never seen so many panties.
Old 05-08-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but it would really be nice to have a box to put the set in.
As long as it's a halfway decent box. The only other box set I know of is the Captain Tylor box set, and that one had a flimsy box.
Still waiting for my replacement disk 4 from that set.
Old 05-08-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About the tylor disk 4 replacement, rest assured. I just got an email from rightstuf saying my replacement has shipped. I did not order directly from them, but I did send in the replacement quickly after I got it. However, the email from right stuff says when they say "shipped" it means "will ship in the next couple days."
Old 05-08-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but it would really be nice to have a box to put the set in.
I doubt it will be as cool as this one:

http://designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html
Old 05-08-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet

I didn't know he had any pictures of the anime box sets yet. The page wasn't updated the last time I checked. They look pretty sweet. I was also thinking about getting his James Bond box as well. It looks great.

Thanks for the info Aghama!!
Old 05-08-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great... now I'm gonna have to buy that. Grr... It looks pretty sweet.
Old 05-08-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For all those of you that likes City Hunter, ADV has set up a pre-order page for the first half of the the second season. There's 63 episodes in the series, so we'll get about 30 episodes on 5 DVDs.

https://www.advfilms.com/advfansubs/subscribe.html

They will begin production of the DVDs if they get 2000 pre-orders. Cost is $124.98, but will go down if more people order. The table of costs is on the page.

Old 05-08-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read about that on AnimeOnDVD.com and signed up for it. I've never seen the series before, but it's a good deal and I want ADV to do more stuff like that. Last I checked there were 100 people signed up. They only need about 1900 more people to sign-up now.
Old 05-09-01, 02:07 AM

Agent Aika is made for "fan-service" which is why the excessive panty shots, and which is why there was only a 4 episodes for this OVA series. Pretty short, nice and sweet.

City Hunter 2 continues the first season, which came out only as VHS (hoping for a DVD release as well). City Hunter is based off the manga of the same name, created by Tsukasa Hojo. The manga is even more raunchy than the anime. And when you watch it, you'll understand the word mokkori (heh heh). 4 series in all...I believe 5-6 movies in total.

Saber Marionette J, I've watched this series back oh so many years ago...at first, it's cute, some funny moments here and there, but I don't know...after finishing up the TV series and then the OVA series right after it, I got bored of it pretty quickly...not very memorable.

[Edited by The Eigeman on 05-09-01 at 12:09 AM]
Old 05-09-01, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a big shipment coming in so I'll be busy for awhile...

Gunsmith Cats
Demon Fighter Kocho
Fist of the North Star
Burn-Up W
Nadesico 2 - which I sold, but bought again
Nadesico 3
Nadesico 4

I haven't seen Nadesico 3 or 4 and I haven't seen Demon Fighter Kocho or Burn-Up W. Hope they are good. I'll probably share my thoughts when I watch them.
Old 05-09-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

City Hunter Series 2 DVD Boxsets

From ADV:

The 63 episode City Hunter 2 TV series will be released as two 5 disc DVD boxsets. We are taking preorders for the first boxset now. The second 5 disc boxset will go up for preorder after the first set is completed. When the number of preorders reaches 2000, we will begin production of the DVDs. The number of preorders we have received when the discs are completed will determine the price for those people who preorder. This final price is for preorders only, the retail price will be higher. No charges will be made to credit cards until the set is complete and a notice will be emailed before cards are charged. If you have any questions please email customer support at [email protected] or phone 713-341-7100 Option 1.

https://www.advfilms.com/advfansubs/subscribe.html

Come on, I know there are some City Hunter fans who help this series to DVD.....

And, if your one of the first 2000, you might get the first set (5 DVDs) for $49.98

Preorders Price
2000 $124.98 + shipping
3000 $99.98 + shipping
4500 $74.98 + shipping
8000+ $49.98 + shipping
Old 05-09-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gunsmith Cats
Demon Fighter Kocho
Fist of the North Star
Burn-Up W
Nadesico 3
Nadesico 4

Your going to live "Gunsmith Cats" very nice ADV disc Where did you find "FOTNS"???
Old 05-09-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gunsmith Cats
Demon Fighter Kocho
Fist of the North Star
Burn-Up W
Nadesico 3
Nadesico 4
I've got a lot of stuff ordered too.

Stuff in the mail:
Gundam Wing vol 7 (I like big robots)
Tenchi the Movie 2: DOD (seen it, finally got around to buying it)
Tenchi the Movie 3: Tenchi Forever (same for this one)
Evangelion vol. 7 (got it on VHS, almost complete on DVD now )
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 vol. 5 (love this series)

Stuff pre-ordered:
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 7 (finally get to start seeing the famous Kyoto arc)
Gasaraki vol. 5 (one of my favorite series right now.)
Robotech mini-boxset 1 (ah, nostalgia)
Nadesico vol. 5 (getting pretty good)

Stuff signed-up for:
Macross box set (cannot wait for this one!!)
City Hunter 2 (never seen it, but want to promote releases like this.)

Trigger - I think you'll like Nadesico. I thought it was pretty average until about disc 3, then I started to get into it. It's one of those series where I can't really explain why I like it, I just do. Go figure.

[Edited by Ghym on 05-09-01 at 02:02 PM]
Old 05-09-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by roseart
Your going to live "Gunsmith Cats" very nice ADV disc Where did you find "FOTNS"???
Good - I'm replacing a VHS and I love this show - I don't know why... it's just cool. I have a '68 Mustang so I like the car in it - I guess it's a Shelby.

Originally posted by Ghym
Trigger - I think you'll like Nadesico. I thought it was pretty average until about disc 3, then I started to get into it. It's one of those series where I can't really explain why I like it, I just do. Go figure.
Yeah - I hated the first disc and thought the show was lame... I bought the second disc, but decided to sell them both and give up on the series before even watching the second disc. Once the second disc sold, I decided to watch it once before shipping it off - I ended up getting into it, so now I've re-bought the second disc and will probably get the rest of them as well. I can't explain why I like it either.
Old 05-11-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by roseart
Oops - forgot to answer your second question. I found Fist of the North Star at BestPrices.com, but this is the live-action version with Chris Penn... I didn't order it by mistake, I thought it was kinda cool and it was cheap. I didn't mean to add it to my list of anime that I have coming soon... I just quickly scanned over my shipping notice and filtered out the anime titles forgetting that it was the live-action movie I had ordered.
Old 05-11-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
About the tylor disk 4 replacement, rest assured. I just got an email from rightstuf saying my replacement has shipped. I did not order directly from them, but I did send in the replacement quickly after I got it. However, the email from right stuff says when they say "shipped" it means "will ship in the next couple days."
I got the same e-mail from the rightstuf today. Of course when I got home the disk had arrived. They included 4 postcards with the replacement disk. Now I know what I'll be watching tonight.
Old 05-12-01, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know - I watched that Tylor episode that's supposed to be missing a chapter, but it didn't look that way to me. It was shorter than other episodes, but it seemed to flow fine and didn't appear to be missing any scenes. I suppose if I hadn't heard about it, I'd never even notice.
Old 05-12-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know - I watched that Tylor episode that's supposed to be missing a chapter, but it didn't look that way to me. It was shorter than other episodes, but it seemed to flow fine and didn't appear to be missing any scenes. I suppose if I hadn't heard about it, I'd never even notice.
Well, it was the fact that the episode only had one eyecatch told me something was wrong. After that it just seemed that something was missing from the episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.