One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. IV

Community
Search

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-01, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Still - I didn't notice it enough to want to pay even more money to get the properly mastered DVD sent to me. The Right Stuf can stick it in their tailpipe for all I care. I'm trying not to be angry for purchasing it in the first place. I was a little pissed when I saw the cheap box set cover which is only slightly thicker than magazine paper. I was also a little pissed when I first heard that the last disc had a mistake on it - then I was even more pissed when I found out I would have to give them more money so they could correct this mistake that they made. I didn't notice the missing stuff, so I'll just hang on to what I've got and try not to pitch it through a window.
Old 05-14-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Akira news

Pioneer has finally posted an official press release about the Akira DVD. Here's a link to the press release. It has details about the extras and stuff. It's got three documentaries, trailers, teasers, production material, and interview with the director. Lots of stuff! It has an Enlish 5.1 track and original Japanese track.

http://www.akira2001.com/may14thannounce.htm

Old 05-14-01, 05:02 PM

The Tylor episode #23 is missing one chapter, that is actually on the disc, but the IFO when made makes it such that it skips right over chapter 3 of episode #23.

I have many anime on DVDs on order up to July, I believe. I hope more will soon come out.
Old 05-15-01, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Akira news

Originally posted by Ghym
Pioneer has finally posted an official press release about the Akira DVD. Here's a link to the press release. It has details about the extras and stuff. It's got three documentaries, trailers, teasers, production material, and interview with the director. Lots of stuff! It has an Enlish 5.1 track and original Japanese track.

http://www.akira2001.com/may14thannounce.htm

Fook! I'm sorry, but they should've included the original dub as well... that's just stupid not to. I know they're all proud of their $1Million restoration and brand new dub, but as a difinitive collector's edition, it should be made for the completist who more than likely fell in love with the genre because of this film and who knows the original dub inside and out. It's just stupid not to include it since it would be so damn easy to. ARGH!!!
Old 05-15-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, they said they would include the old dub if it didn't keep them from getting THX certified. I guess a third audio track hurt the quality too much. I'll probably check out the new dub, but I'll mostly watch this one subbed.
Old 05-15-01, 12:22 PM

Old dub was crap.
New dub is much better because it is actually a script revision closer to the manga dialogue, and hence clarifies a lot of loose ends that the original dialogue in Japanese and English couldn't do.

I've seen the restored print in digital projection. It was way better than the original dub which just sucked.
Old 05-16-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We all know the old dub was crap, but I like it anyway. I'm used to it. It's comfortable.
Old 05-16-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
We all know the old dub was crap, but I like it anyway. I'm used to it. It's comfortable.
AGREED... I really wish they would of had both...
Old 05-16-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hi guys. i have a general question. how long after the release of all of the episodes in a series does it take for the studio to release a box set of all the episodes? (right now, i'm thinking of evangelion)
Old 05-16-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tofubomb
hi guys. i have a general question. how long after the release of all of the episodes in a series does it take for the studio to release a box set of all the episodes? (right now, i'm thinking of evangelion)
It depends. Bebop has been finished since last November or December. In January(I think), they announced they would do a box set that's due out in November of this year. This is after they said they wouldn't do a box set. I don't think there is a standard timeframe. I haven't heard anything about an Eva box set yet. The last disc comes out next month. If they announced a box set now I think there might be a riot. Eva has some pretty devoted fans. If they found out there would be a box set after they bought all the discs already, I think the ADV building would be burned to the ground. It would be nice though, if they would offer an empty box if they decided to do a box set. That would be acceptable. If Paul Champagne keeps making those cool metal boxes though, that could be an alternative. http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html
He only has boxes for Bebop and Trigun, but I hope he makes some more. They look pretty nice.

Anyway, the answer to your quetion is that nobody really knows. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Old 05-16-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some series never get released in a box set, some are box set only (Fushigi Yugi, Slayers). I doubt Evengelion will be released in a box set.

Old 05-16-01, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GJKowal
I doubt Evengelion will be released in a box set.
Really? Well then... I guess I should stop holding my breath ^^; It'd really be a pity if they didn't...

On a different note ... I have somewhat of an obscure question. If any of you collect anime cels, you might hopefully know the answer. What do studios do with the anime sequence cels in video games, ie Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Lunar 1 & 2, etc.? I'm fairly certain that the cut scenes in the Lunar games are cel sequences, not 2D CG's. What I wouldn't give to get my little paws on some of those o_O
Old 05-16-01, 03:01 PM

Cels in Japan are usually either 1) recycled, 2) stored for later purposes (you'll notice those "rolling stock footages" often in series), or 3) dumped in the recycling dumpster (which often leads to anime otakus to do "dumpster diving"). Whichever the case, it's always good to know the studio's dumping days, because you can definitely find some good cel work.

As for ADV doing boxsets, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha don't make me laugh. If they could do boxsets, doncha think they would've done one lately in these past 2 years? Don't put your hopes up for NGE boxset...only boxset for this series is available as a limited release in Japan in 3 boxsets (5,000 sets per boxset).
Old 05-16-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Eigeman
As for ADV doing boxsets, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha don't make me laugh. If they could do boxsets, doncha think they would've done one lately in these past 2 years? Don't put your hopes up for NGE boxset...only boxset for this series is available as a limited release in Japan in 3 boxsets (5,000 sets per boxset).
Well, they are trying to do some boxes. They've got the City Hunter 2 box they want to do and Robotech is coming in mini-boxsets. You're right though, they haven't really done a boxset before.
Old 05-17-01, 02:59 AM

City Hunter 2 is under their Fansub base title.

I'm mostly talking about their money-grabbing titles. ADV will never do boxsets for those titles that sell well. Pioneer knows what sells well and will usually do boxsets for those titles that sell well to fans like Fushigi Yuugi.

But still, boxsets released in R1 cannot compare to boxsets released in R2. Umm, I love R2 boxsets.
Old 05-17-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished Legend of Black Heaven - it ended as expected pretty much, but I even got a little choked up at the end... not much really, but it was somewhat emotional I suppose. I really enjoyed this show and perhaps I was just sad to see it ending. But I can watch it again now. ^_^

I also watched Demon Fighter Kocho which was kinda funny. It was alot of big bouncy boobs and sillyness - reminded me of Junkboy kinda. I was hoping it would be kinda like Devil Hunter Yohko or something, but it wasn't. It was similar to Tenchi, but the girls were naked... it was a total spoof of many animes. Since the price was so low, I don't feel so cheated, and there were alot of extras on the disc. I can recommend this title as a rental I guess.
Old 05-17-01, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by The Eigeman
Cels in Japan are usually either 1) recycled, 2) stored for later purposes (you'll notice those "rolling stock footages" often in series), or 3) dumped in the recycling dumpster (which often leads to anime otakus to do "dumpster diving"). Whichever the case, it's always good to know the studio's dumping days, because you can definitely find some good cel work.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard. Those lucky employees supposedly get dibs on them too ~_~ But I've never ever ever seen a cel from a video game before... neither on eBay or Yahoo Japan. Just wondering if they even get released at all ^.^;
Old 05-18-01, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahem...

Originally posted by DVDealer
Just noticed a reply on the animeondvd.com forum that this title has been delayed to make sure that the covers were printed on time to meet street date, and that the DVDs themselves are ready to go. It's supposed to only be delayed a week or two. Of course that didn't stop twec.com from cancelling my order . Oh well, I'll have to make sure to get another order on that other 15% discount coupon from CDNow before the end of the month. They'll probably take it off 30% before the new street date too, since they have a nasty habit of doing that.

Check:

http://64.226.255.69/dcforum/DCForumID1/638.html
and also...

Originally posted by Foole
If you're a fan of the magnificent anime film WINGS OF HONNEAMISE, chances are you know how horribly f_cked up the Region 1 disc is in terms of video quality. This is tragic, especially when comparing it to the vastly superior Region 2 version!

Well there may be hope after all. After many months of pleading, it seems that Manga Entertainment is reconsidering redoing this disc after all. This came from animenation.net:

http://www.animenation.net/news/news.php3?id=1928

For those who don't know the history behind this troubled disc, click here for a detailed explanation with pics.

Here's another page that compares similar scenes from the Region 1 and Region 2 discs...vive la difference!!

Come on Manga...MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! This film deserves better for Region 1.
Discussion going on here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=108870

I don't know about you guys, but I check this thread alot... I would personally prefer info that is anime related to pass through here as I assume that those interested in Anime will stop by here as well... This is especially useful if you miss a day or two or a week and you don't have to go scouring through heaps of posts to get the info you want. It could just be me though... Anyway - it would be nice if you guys have info like this for you to post it here. You can also make your own thread if you like, but I think it would be appreciated if it were here as well for reference at the very least.

I can't control you guys and I'm not running anything... this is only a request/suggestion.

I got Sol Bianca 3 today as well as Trigun #7.
Old 05-18-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I got Sol Bianca 3 today as well as Trigun #7.
How is Trigun #7? I've rented up through #4 and decided to start buying them. I just bought the first one yesterday. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it's grown on me.
Old 05-18-01, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trigun 7 is really good. In fact, Trigun 6 and 7 have just heightened the excitement I have over this series. Trigun 8 should be on the way to my house and I can finally see the end after almost 1 1/2 years of waiting for it to all be out. There is tons of spoilerage in 6 and 7, so I won't divulge it here.

You talked about getting Sol Bianca 3 as well. If you aren't disappointed by it and the whole series and what they could have done with it, I will be shocked. That's all I'll say

[Edited by AgtFox on 05-18-01 at 01:14 PM]
Old 05-18-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You talked about getting Sol Bianca 3 as well. If you aren't disappointed by it and the whole series and what they could have done with it, I will be shocked. That's all I'll say

I rather liked the new interface for the ship. The ship fighting sequences are very interesting departures from the original disassembling ship approaches too. I haven't yet received SB3 yet, so I don't know if the other three ship-fighting modes are demonstrated (although I hope they are).

From the original Sol Bianca (I have the laserdiscs, including the additional floppy disc datafiles that officially came with them!!!), I miss the seeing the main beam weapon in action, as well as that molecular string weapon.

Anyways, the Goddess attack on SB1 was fanciful and I liked it because I didn't know it at the time, but I had been hankering to see some sort of artsy fanciful melodramatic approach to an intership fight.
Old 05-19-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so behind in watching Trigun - I think I stopped at disc 3 or 4 and have 2 or 3 discs I have yet to see. Apparently, I was mistaken - I got disc 6 - still waiting for 7 and 8. I'll get to them eventually, but I have a few other things to watch first... I have yet to get deeper into my 3 outlaw star dvds.

I watched Sol Bianca disc 3 - Going Home tonight... I have to admit that throughout the entire series, I've been just on the edge of confusion the whole time. It's as if they took out every other scene or something... I really liked it, but it takes alot of focus to be able to fully follow the intricate details. As for how it compares to the originals, I couldn't say because I don't even remember the original. I have to rent it again. But I did like this series - short as it was... I think each episode could've been about 5 or 10 minutes longer and it would've filled out the story a bit better and the pacing would have been a bit more like Bebop. I agree though that they could've done better, but still it's worth getting anyway. Really teriffic visuals and animation.
Old 05-20-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody know when Spriggan is coming to DVD? With Akira coming out, I would think that Spriggan would follow soon. Am I crazy?
Old 05-21-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Talking to myself...

Anyway - I watched the entire Agent Aika: Naked Missions disc. Holy jesus it sucks. Avoid unless you are REALLY into gratuitous panty shots. I know it's probably supposed to be funny, but it's not. It's just lame.

So someone answer me about Spriggan.
Old 05-21-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trigger - I think Spriggan is set for DVD release sometime this fall. They are trying to give it a run in theaters first.

Anybody else here like Cardcaptor Sakura? It's the first "magical girl" anime I've ever owned. I've never been a big fan of that kind of show, but for some reason I like this one. It's a nice change from some of the serious anime I watch. I just wish the release schedule was a little quicker.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.