International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

House of Flying Daggers [merged]

Old 01-07-05, 11:38 AM

I have received my House Of Flying Daggers 2 disc edition last week from Layoyo.com and when I read your messages about defective discs I scrolled through the chapters of my disc. Everything works fine so I guess that either CD-WOW has received a bad batch or that my DVD-player (Panasonic) can handle the disc without problems.
Old 01-07-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that CD-Wow received a bad batch. I wish they would personalize their email responses. I specifically asked them about the whole issue, and I just received a typical generated response like I have in the past. At least they are cool enough to send out a replacement before even getting the defective one back. But what's the point if all of their discs are fucked? Goddammit.

On a side note, the hidden menu on the second disc is easily found. Highlight "Costumes" and press down on the remote control. A small image on the far left side of the screen will be highlighted; press enter.
Old 01-07-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have another copy of the 2-disc edition and (hopefully) a copy of the LE on the way from CD-Wow. I'll let people know what happens.
Old 01-07-05, 05:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by donnie1974
I have received my House Of Flying Daggers 2 disc edition last week from Layoyo.com and when I read your messages about defective discs I scrolled through the chapters of my disc. Everything works fine so I guess that either CD-WOW has received a bad batch or that my DVD-player (Panasonic) can handle the disc without problems.
donnie...how much was your shipping charge with these guys? Mine is coming to $27 USD. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-07-05, 05:38 PM
Cool New Member

I finally got my LE from Layoyo and the dvd works fine. Must say the set is very nice, especially the lovely colour photo book.
Old 01-07-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
donnie...how much was your shipping charge with these guys? Mine is coming to $27 USD. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.
How close do you live to NYC? I just picked up the box set of this that has the 2 disc set, the soundtrack, the making of book, and pen (?) in China Town for 30 bucks, and they have the 2 disc by itself for $13.00.

*edit: This set is really nice, and I have to say for $30.00, this is probably the best dvd value I have ever gotten. Now I just hope that there are no issues with the dvd because I have the 727 as well.

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 01-07-05 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 06:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Miike-Mouse
I finally got my LE from Layoyo and the dvd works fine. Must say the set is very nice, especially the lovely colour photo book.
and how much was ur shipping?

i'm not too close to NYC or rather it isn't so accessible, so it isn't an option for me, but i wish it were. sounds like you got a great deal.
Old 01-07-05, 07:22 PM
Cool New Member

and how much was ur shipping?

i'm not too close to NYC or rather it isn't so accessible, so it isn't an option for me, but i wish it were. sounds like you got a great deal.
I think about 8 to the UK. I noticed it went up by about 25% the day after I ordered though.
Old 01-07-05, 08:25 PM

Before I knew CDWow was an option, I bought the 2-disc set off Ebay from seller "lovely4world' (who has more copies for sale, if you search the site). I paid $21.95 which is three (?) dollars more than CDWow, but I watched the film tonight and had no problems with playback, so I think the extra money was worth it. It took nine days, excluding holidays and Sundays, to arrive from Hong Kong.

Standard plastic case and all, but the four-page insert is colorful and I appreciate that they list the chapter stops and features in English not just Chinese. The animated menus (cool transitions, btw) have English descriptions also. I thought the picture was beautiful, except maybe for the jail scenes with Mei which to me seemed dark and foggy, almost like a bootleg someone shot with a camcorder. (But I'm not sure... Maybe it's just my TV. Can anyone comment on this?) I'm very pleased with my DVDs.
Old 01-08-05, 04:57 AM

I ordered the plain 2 disc edition, so I had low shipping costs, about $6 USD for airmail to Europe.

So I think you have bought the limited edition and selected courier instead of airmail? That should cost about $27 USD.
Old 01-08-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by donnie1974
That makes me feel good since I ordered mine from them. Hopefully I won't have any problems either.
Old 01-08-05, 03:24 PM

I received the 2 disk special edition from CD-Wow on Friday. The video on mine breaks up for about 6 minutes beginning at about 1 hour into the movie. Anyone else have this prob?
Old 01-08-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It would seem that most people who got the 2-disc edition from CD-Wow have that problem. Must be a bad batch of discs.
Old 01-08-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just ordered the LE set from CD-WOW before I saw this thread. Is this problem only with the 2-disc set or is the LE set affected too?
Old 01-09-05, 09:15 AM

I got a response back from CD-WOW that they were sorry about the defective disc and that they would replace it, but I would need to return the original.

My original would not play properly during the bamboo scene on a Toshiba 4900. I made a R0 copy so that I could watch the missing scenes on my Panasonic XP50 (R1 player) and got the same result.
Old 01-09-05, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Can anyone who's gotten the new disc already confirm whether the subtitles appear entirely in the 2.35:1 image or half-in/half-out like on the previous Edko release? I'm asking specifically about the way it appears in 16:9 mode, not 4:3 letterbox downconversion.
It's half-in/half-out on my setup - Tosh 4900 on RPTV.
Old 01-09-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So does this problem affect the 3 disc Limited Edition as well or is it only the 2-disc editions that came out wonky?
Old 01-09-05, 04:29 PM

My subs are half in half out on a 16:9 TV.

No problems with the disc whatsoever, transfer seems pretty good to me. Colours are gorgeous.
Old 01-09-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVDFever, did you get the 2-disc edition from CD-Wow? Those are the ones that seem to have the problem.
Old 01-09-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I looked at every post of this thread and only one person claims that their LE from CD-WOW turned out just fine. Though I guess that should comfort me, I'd like some confirmation that this wasn't just one extremely fortunate individual. Anyone else already got the 3-disc LE from CD-WOW and care to comment wether or not they've had the same problem that the 2-disc owners that purchased from CD-WOW seem to have?
Old 01-09-05, 09:29 PM

read again...i'm pretty sure NOBODY complained about the 3disc and instead, everyone was complaining about the 2 disc.
Old 01-09-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just want to clarify something...When everyone mentions 3 disc, do they mean the 2 disc WITH the cd soundtrack, or is there an actual 3rd dvd?
Old 01-09-05, 11:37 PM

i think it's the 2 discs plus OST. it's the one that comes with a bamboo pen.
Old 01-10-05, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
DVDFever, did you get the 2-disc edition from CD-Wow? Those are the ones that seem to have the problem.
I got my Le (2dvd + ost) from cdwow, no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-10-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by royalwithcheese
i think it's the 2 discs plus OST. it's the one that comes with a bamboo pen.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was getting worried there for a minute.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.