Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Originally Posted by achau9598
After reading through this thread, it certainly sounds like something that would help me get back into the theaters more often. If someone has invites, please LMK. Thanks.
If you are really interested in signing up, please send me a PM.
Old 11-23-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can you check your viewing history on your mobile app? Mine isn't showing Rise of the Guardians.
Old 11-23-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

You can, upper left-hand corner little square with a bunch of horizontal lines. They are having issues today, and my card was declined, they said a lot of them were, and told me to buy a ticket, take a picture, and they would reimburse me to the card on file.
Old 11-23-12, 04:58 PM

I did went to the horizontal lines but mine isn't showing the recent movie right after renewal.
Old 11-23-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
So I went off that idea and bought a regular ticket for night showing then exchanged it for the matinee showing 3D.... SAME PRICE. I am stoked, I just got a free 3D movie ticket for Life of Pi tomorrow Gonna go see if the kiddies are too bad. Gonna try to do 3D matinees on weekdays. Thee other movies I prefer to go at night in the middle of the week. Can't believe I just got a 3D movie free ha.
Instead of buying a ticket and exchanging, couldn't you have just bought the 3D ticket for the next day then and there? As long as the money's on the card, and and you're checking in for a movie that's the same price or less than the one you're buying, there shouldn't be any problem, should there?
Old 11-25-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I can, I just wanted to use the card on the up and up.
Old 11-25-12, 03:38 AM

Is there an Android app for this yet? I'm intrigued by this, but, before I even attempt to find an invite I just want to make sure it would work with my current phone.
Old 11-25-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, but I have an Android and their mobile website works just fine. Their website says an Android app is forthcoming. If you can browse the web on your phone, you can use this. I have some invites if you want one but they are limited so think about it first
Old 11-26-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So tried the checking in for night showing of 2D and just buying Early Bird (first showing, even cheaper than matinee) 3D, which are the same price. Perfect. Worked without a glitch. Was a little nervous because matinee/first showing/3D==kiddies but I was the ONLY one in the theater. Awesomeness. At the end guy comes in to clean, I tell him it's all clean, he says he still has to stay, and when he sees me putting the armrests back up he leaves
Old 11-27-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My theatre doesn't do different prices between day and night. How have you all done this in terms of getting a 3D ticket? Do you charge regular ticket price amount on your MoviePass card and 3D surcharge on normal card? Are theatres cool with that?
Old 11-27-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before I figured it out, that's what I did for one of them, buy regular price with MP then pay the extra, no problem. But are you sure? 2D at night is $10.25 and first showing 3D is $10.25. 3D is $3.25 more than 2D so the first showing 2D is $7 and the late showing 3D is $13.50. Which theater is it? I haven't heard of any theater not doing matinees (prior to 6p or so). Here theaters will actually charge you more on weekend nights than at any other time of the week. And some have an Early Bird/First showing price that's even less than matinee which is less than regular price/primetime.

I use Fandango for this and "buy" tickets for different times to make sure I load enough in the card.
Old 11-27-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before I figured it out, that's what I did for one of them, buy regular price with MP then pay the extra, no problem. But are you sure? 2D at night is $10.25 and first showing 3D is $10.25. 3D is $3.25 more than 2D so the first showing 2D is $7 and the late showing 3D is $13.50. Which theater is it? I haven't heard of any theater not doing matinees (prior to 6p or so). Here theaters will actually charge you more on weekend nights than at any other time of the week. And some have an Early Bird/First showing price that's even less than matinee which is less than regular price/primetime.

I use Fandango for this and "buy" tickets for different times to make sure I load enough in the card.
Thanks. I'm in NYC - we get no deals except for AMC which has $7 movies before noon. Regular 2D is $14, 3D is $18.
Old 11-27-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the zip code?
Old 11-27-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.fandango.com/transaction...2989&tid=AABQI

Life of Pi 3D $11 Adult 10:10a Tuesday (first showing) at AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 1998 Broadway New York, NY 10023.

https://www.fandango.com/transaction...5722&tid=AABQI

Life of Pi 2D at that same theater, $14, 7:30p.

Get there for the 3D showing, sign in for the 2D showing, buy the 3D showing at the box office. Give me a zip code, I will find you a 3D showing you can get for free

Takes some legwork. Grab a piece of paper. Grab a 2D movie. Write down prices and times for ALL showings on a weekday, morning through night. Write down prices and times for ALL showings on a weekend, morning through night.

Grab a 3D movie. Do the same. Grab an IMAX movie, do the same. Sign in for the most expensive 2D, "buy" the least expensive 3D/IMAX. Comes out to 3D for free and IMAX for $6.50 or so. Once you spend some time going, you won't even have to reference the paper anymore. And you always have Fandango. Want to go to 3D? Find a theater with early showings, if one theater had 3D for $18 at first showing, find another theater. A theater nearby will have a cheap 3D first showing. Show up and purchase the latest 2D showing. Guaranteed it covers the 3D if it's $14 or less or so.

And may I mention that if you have AMC, get AMC Stubs, and make sure to go to the most expensive showing if you can Each time you go, you get 10% of the ticket price in AMC money, so for a $7 early movie I would only add $7 towards $100/$10, whereas for a $10 movie I would add $10 towards that.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-27-12 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-27-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's late, so will re-read in the morning, but appreciate the writeup and summary, GatorDeb.

I am a member of AMC Stubs and Regal Crown. Good to rack up those extra rewards.
Old 11-27-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Short version: Give me your zip code, I will show you which theater to go to so that you can watch 3D for free
Old 11-27-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short version: Give me your zip code, I will show you which theater to go to so that you can watch 3D for free
You should charge a small fee.
Old 11-27-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's easy, though, go to Fandango, enter your zip code, and just go "buy" a ticket for each first-showing 3D you see until you find one for $14 or below. Some theaters in NY just don't have that early showing.
Old 11-28-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, my first month is up. Ended up seeing:

Argo
Sinister
Flight
Lincoln
Taken 2
Skyfall
Wreck-It Ralph (regular and 3D)
Life of Pi (3D)
Rise of the Guardians (3D)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Paid $33.25 (before I figured out how to get 3D tickets before the $3.25 surcharge). So $3.33 per movie (I have a ticket for tomorrow for Twilight but I'll add it to next month's tally). Got 2 extra tickets for mom and sis for both Taken 2 and Skyfall so if you count those and make it 14 tickets, that's $2.38 a ticket, but I'm going to base it on movies I particularly saw that month Now that I know how the system works 3D won't add anything to the total and I'll be able to take mom and sis to more movies.

I gotta say I enjoyed all the movies I saw. I don't buy concessions so my total out of pocket is $30 a month (mostly because of the calories, not the price).

Oh, and $10 in AMC cash

Bring on Month 2!!!
Old 11-28-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the fact that we can still use rewards cards with MoviePass. I've got $10 on my AMC Stubs card now and have gotten a free movie ticket, 2 free small popcorns, and a small candy with Regal Crown Club.
Old 11-28-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AMC is the closest theater to where I live, 5 minutes one way. The other theater close to where I live, five minutes the other way, is Century, with no rewards. I watch every movie I can at the AMC but they don't show all of them. Since I don't get concessions and the points would be spent on more tickets, it's not worth the 20 minute drive to the nearest Regal, especially since compared to AMC their point system sucks.
Old 11-28-12, 01:35 AM

My first 2 months (Oct-Nov):
Frankenweenie
Sinister
Taken 2 EXT (Glitch)
Silent Hills: Revelation ETX 3D (Upgrade)
Cloud Atlas IMAX (Upgrade)
The Man With the Iron Fists
Flight
Lincoln (Free Screening)
Skyfall
Wreck-it Ralph
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II

2nd Month (Nov-Present):
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Upgrade)
Life of Pi 3D (Upgrade)
Old 11-28-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you found a way to watch IMAX for free? $6.50 is the best I can find. If not, I wouldn't put (upgrade) next to the 3D, because you're not paying for that, right?
Old 11-28-12, 04:29 AM

Okay fine i'll put it as Downgrade. lol
Old 11-28-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iNCREDiPiNOY, gator, others - have the theatres ever given you a hard time about charging the regular amount to your MoviePass card and then extra 3D charge to cash or another card?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.