Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

BestBuy bucks strategies??

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

BestBuy bucks strategies??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question hopefully some one could answer for me.

I have never used BBB or in-store pick up before and was thinking of trying out both. I want to order two of the b1g1 special editions that are on sale this week and I have $7 in BBB.
The rumors seem to be that the $3 limit is not enforced online so my question is could I order two movies, use the BBB to get $7 off, use in-store pick up to avoid shipping charges and get both movies for a total of $12.99 (plus maybe tax)?
Or can BBB not be used on sale items? And, would I need to bring the BBB with me to the register when I pick up the movies? Also, it says you have to bring the credit card used at time of pick up, do they charge when the order is placed and just use it to verify, or do you get charged at pick up? Would I lose my BBB and not be able to try to use them instore as well if I go the online route with in-store pick up?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-29-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so it goes, you should have no problem using those BBB on that order for in store pickup. I've used BBB on DVDs online a few times and have no problems. Also, you don't need to bring in the BBB when you order. On the receipt it just shows the items severely discounted. They usually don't even look at the receipt, but when they do I just say I had some online only coupons I used. Go for it.
Old 10-29-06, 03:54 PM

Awesome, Thats what I wanted to hear.
Thank you very much!
Old 10-29-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Had a very good weekend, I got 62 on Friday and 80 back on Saturday. I picked up my 30gb iPod. I got an even better deal than I thought I was going to get, and still have about $150 BBB left. Instead of it costing me $70 with tax, it was only $54 with tax; evidently the BBB act as a coupon and take that amount off the taxable total.
Old 10-29-06, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dcprules
so it goes, you should have no problem using those BBB on that order for in store pickup. I've used BBB on DVDs online a few times and have no problems. Also, you don't need to bring in the BBB when you order. On the receipt it just shows the items severely discounted. They usually don't even look at the receipt, but when they do I just say I had some online only coupons I used. Go for it.
Agreed. Last year I ordered about $3k worth of DVDs online (about 50% w/ instore pickup to save shipping). Only about 10% of the time the cashier questioned the $0.00 price and I just said I used a gift card. they didn't question it, even though the order said I used a credit card which I had to present them. Oh well. Last year I even ordered several preorders that didn't come out until well after the early December expiration. I think I was getting items from BB until mid-February. I'll probably try this again with a few DVDs and maybe a PS3 game or two. Hopefully it works again.
Old 10-29-06, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Had a very good weekend, I got 62 on Friday and 80 back on Saturday. I picked up my 30gb iPod. I got an even better deal than I thought I was going to get, and still have about $150 BBB left. Instead of it costing me $70 with tax, it was only $54 with tax; evidently the BBB act as a coupon and take that amount off the taxable total.

In the official rules the BBB are deducted pre-tax off the item prices. Occasionally a BB manager will attempt to deduct them on the after-tax total, but you should call them on it immediately! You shouldn't have to pay $10+ tax on an item discounted to less than a buck!!!
Old 10-29-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by illini420
In the official rules the BBB are deducted pre-tax off the item prices. Occasionally a BB manager will attempt to deduct them on the after-tax total, but you should call them on it immediately! You shouldn't have to pay $10+ tax on an item discounted to less than a buck!!!

Sorry, I got the 30gb iPod which is $249.99, I had to pay $49.99; but only the tax on the $50 not the whole $250 that I was expecting.
Old 10-29-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
anyone not using these online and want to trade your $5 piece for 6 of my $1 pieces? I have a large item I want online and not enough $5 pieces to max out the $200.
I might be interested in this. For some reason I don't seem to be able to PM you. if you're still looking for someone let me know. But does this mean you already used the $6 online?
Old 10-30-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sotra
As for maximizing - tons of people last year/this year double dipped (used BB bucks online and then instore so that $132 becomes $264) and if you live in Vermont or know someone who does they can omit return postage, thus only paying $39 to send 100 and get $132 back.
Has anyone confirmed that this works again this year? Can I register them online and use them later for a B&M purchase?
Old 10-30-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts
Yes, but you're better off copying the codes and using them in store first in the off chance that they check them when you purchase.
Old 10-30-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by John Galt
Yes, but you're better off copying the codes and using them in store first in the off chance that they check them when you purchase.

I can see that with one or two BBB, but when you have 50 or so, why would they even bother? Especially when you go when it's busy at the front registers. They will just scan the barcode and move on.
Old 10-30-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
I can see that with one or two BBB, but when you have 50 or so, why would they even bother? Especially when you go when it's busy at the front registers. They will just scan the barcode and move on.
That's what I'm asking. If the DO scan them at the register, doesn't that put them in their system as used? I'm guessing that using them online before they can scan them (like you're saying if it is busy they'll scan them later) is how you can get them to work twice.
Old 10-30-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
That's what I'm asking. If the DO scan them at the register, doesn't that put them in their system as used? I'm guessing that using them online before they can scan them (like you're saying if it is busy they'll scan them later) is how you can get them to work twice.
The barcode is completely generic. They all have the same barcode. So you could scan the same one fifty times and it would ring up as $1 off everytime. Entering the code is what invalidates it for multiple use online.

Got 7 more today. All were $1. So that makes 23 $1s and 2 $5 ones. Not really great odds so far.
Old 10-30-06, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm

I was thinking of using BBB on an Ipod as well. Was your $200 in BBB a mixture of $5 and $1 or just 40 $5 pieces? I know that online there is a limit of 40 codes per purchase, but I didn't know if there was any restriction in store.
Old 10-30-06, 03:36 PM
mbs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One post on FatWallet indicates that a manager claimed he was going to randomly check codes from redeemed BBB. Obviously this is a store-by-store thing and there is no way they will check them all, but reading things like this are why I am spending them in store and then waiting for online use. Just seems to avoid risk, even if the risk is small.
Old 10-30-06, 03:38 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
I was thinking of using BBB on an Ipod as well. Was your $200 in BBB a mixture of $5 and $1 or just 40 $5 pieces? I know that online there is a limit of 40 codes per purchase, but I didn't know if there was any restriction in store.
Only restriction in-store is $200 total. I have used 200 x $1 twice this year so far. One time they actually went through the hassle of scanning them all (which is totally unnecessary, but the manager incorrectly said that would invalidate their future use).
Old 10-30-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah. Again, if it's busy and there are people waiting in line, there is absolutely no way in hell they are going to even randomly input these long codes.
Old 10-30-06, 06:26 PM
mbs

Yeah. Again, if it's busy and there are people waiting in line, there is absolutely no way in hell they are going to even randomly input these long codes.
It doesn't have to be done on the spot. The manager could enter random codes at any time of his choosing and see if they have been used.

I'm not trying to say this will happen (or is even all that likely). But it's a possibility that people should be aware of.
Old 10-30-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I doubt it. They have no reason to. They can't prove that you used it twice. Plus, I don't think they'd alienate customers like that.
Old 10-30-06, 10:59 PM

Is anyone else who is keeping track of when they receive these getting some really sporadic returns? I sent 100 out on Oct 5 of which I've only received 5 back, however I sent another 100 out on Oct 7 and received 99 of these back on Oct 26.
Old 10-30-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Galt
...I sent 100 out on Oct 5 of which I've only received 5 back, however I sent another 100 out on Oct 7 and received 99 of these back on Oct 26...
When there is a problem with the request they don't send anything back (at least not yet, maybe they'll send a copy of the rules or something at a later date).

For whatever reason, they feel that 95 of the 100 you sent out on Oct. 5 did not meet the requirements.

Reminds me of a coworker who read the rules and swore that the inner envelope could have a pre-printed label. I told him he was crazy but he insisted he was right. I rolled my eyes and sent off some evelopes at the same time, I got all of mine back and he received nothing.

Last edited by Heat; 10-30-06 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:32 PM

I've had around $200 in bbb this time. I bought a ton of dvds so far w/ instore pick-up using unlimited BBB on-line and haven't had a problem yet. Then when I do the instore pick-up, I use the same exact BBB instore for videogames.
Old 10-31-06, 12:01 AM

^^Everything I sent out has been in accordance with the rules, nothing preprinted at all.
Old 10-31-06, 12:37 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Heat
I rolled my eyes and sent off some evelopes at the same time, I got all of mine back and he received nothing.
I'm surprised that they don't send you a copy of the rules (like they did last year). Just seems odd they just ignore the "problem" entries. Maybe they are waiting until the end to send out the rejections.

My final tally was 512 sent (from 10/3 thru 10/12). I got a total of 497 back (I suppose more could be coming) from 10/16 thru today, 10/30.
Old 10-31-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Superboy
They have to be postmarked by Oct 31st and recieved by them no later than November 6th. If you send them out tomorrow you'll be good. Average turnaround time is 2 weeks though.
On one of the posts on the first page, it says they need to be postmarked by the 30th. Is it the 30th or the 31st?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.