Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

BestBuy bucks strategies??

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

BestBuy bucks strategies??

Old 10-20-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
I printed the larger mailing envelope with my return address and the McD's address. I then hand wrote my address only, no return on the SASE. Both envelopes I used a postage machine for postage, and I have been getting these back with BBB.

Outer Envelope - May be printed on a printer, requires your return address.
SASE - Needs to be handwritten, does not require return address
Postage machine/Meter postage - Seems to fine for both envelopes.
Old 10-20-06, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad day at the mailbox today. Got 56 envelopes back. 55 had a $1 BBB and 1 had a $5 BBB. Got about 12 food prizes too. Total so far is 73 $1 BBB and 2 $5 BBB. 25 Envelopes still outstanding...
Old 10-21-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
I sent in 150 on the 2-3. I got 17 back on the 13, 34 back on the 14 and 8 on the 16; since then I have received not a single one back.
Old 10-21-06, 12:10 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent 199 on 10/3 from California (total of 512 from 10/3 to about 10/11). Of the first 199, I've gotten back around half. They are coming in very slowly in batches of about 20 a day...

They definately seem to be a lot slower to fill the envelopes this year...
Old 10-21-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

got 10 more back today with 8 $1 and 2 $5 .. a very nice return! So far I have $132 in about 85 returns (with 1 coming back with a game piece but no BB buck) .. and I still have 65 more to come back
Old 10-21-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts
anyone else number their SASE? I did so I know how many/which I get back.
Old 10-21-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This sounds fun.

It's only worth it IMHO if you can do it online and in the store.
Old 10-21-06, 07:13 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by The Bus
It's only worth it IMHO if you can do it online and in the store.
It's certainly possible to do so.

Considering that printing the outer envelopes works (which saves a ton of time), this really is a great deal.
Old 10-21-06, 09:44 PM

Got my last 25 back. This was my best day, getting 3 $5 BBB and 22 $1 BBB. Overall I got 5 $5 BBB and 95 $1 BBB for a ratio of 1:20 - not the stated odds. Thankfully I should be able to improve things with double dipping...

I also got about 40 food prizes, so I'll be having some free meals for a while...
Old 10-22-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah. I just can't see the clerks entering the codes on them to verify if they'd been used already, especially when you roll in with like 50 coupons. Even w/o double dipping (other than the time issues), it's still a good deal if you already are going to buy something at BB.
Old 10-22-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my concern with double dipping was the fact that they took all my info down and attached the pieces to the paper. But, that was last year and nothing ever came of it, so I expect the same this time.
Old 10-22-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

What can they do? I doubt there's some guy inputting all the codes somewhere. The barcodes are completely generic. I'll just pay cash and not worry about it.
Old 10-22-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts
Well, sent out 100 on friday 10/20 and 30 on saturday. What has the turn around time been? Seems like at least two weeks. Really hope this pans out and I get at least the 1:12 odds of $5. I actually got a large beef sandwich coupon on a drink I bought so hopefully my luck will hold as those are pretty rare.
Old 10-23-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
What can they do? I doubt there's some guy inputting all the codes somewhere. The barcodes are completely generic. I'll just pay cash and not worry about it.
In theory they could check the codes on the pieces redeemed in-store and if they matched up with any used online they could charge-back the amount used online.
Old 10-23-06, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did this last year and this year. It was definitely better this year. sending off 100+ more tomorrow.
Old 10-23-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
In theory they could check the codes on the pieces redeemed in-store and if they matched up with any used online they could charge-back the amount used online.

But say I stroll in with 50 of these things. Do you honestly think they are going to try and input many of the codes, let alone one? Even scanning the barcode will be a PITA for many of them.
Old 10-23-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of the first batch of 120 I received back 112. I've not received anything in the past few days so I think that those are done. The last day I received anything I got seven - but none had a postmark. They had a little code under my address, but no postmark. Strange.

Anyway, between the SASE's I've gotten back and the ones I've gotten in-store, I'm running at 1 in 10 being a $5 coupon.

I mailed another 50 in last week, keeping my fingers that (a) I get at least most of them back with BBB; and (b) I get a share of $5 BBB in them.
Old 10-23-06, 11:15 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Superboy
It was definitely better this year.
How so? The payout (in BBB) was higher last year ($1.66 per entry last year versus $1.32 this year).
Old 10-23-06, 12:45 PM

I spent $115 in BBB on Sunday and they didn't scan any of them. Plus, what another poster already said is correct. THE BARCODE on the BBB ONLY INDICATES THE DOLLAR AMOUNT. It does not contain the online code. So if they wanted to check if they were double-dipped, they'd have to manually input them all.

Plus, at least at the Best Buy where I spent mine, they just put them all in a giant envelope at the register, so they have no idea which BBB were mine an which ones were some other schmoe's BBBs... I don't think we have anything to worry about with double-dipping.

Make sure you bring a copy of the rules when you cash out though, as it saved me about 10 minutes by having my own and being able to point out to them that computer software was NOT restricted in how many BBBs you could spend on them (other than the $200 per day limit).
Old 10-23-06, 01:23 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by rassi
I spent $115 in BBB on Sunday and they didn't scan any of them. Plus, what another poster already said is correct. THE BARCODE on the BBB ONLY INDICATES THE DOLLAR AMOUNT. It does not contain the online code. So if they wanted to check if they were double-dipped, they'd have to manually input them all.

Plus, at least at the Best Buy where I spent mine, they just put them all in a giant envelope at the register, so they have no idea which BBB were mine an which ones were some other schmoe's BBBs... I don't think we have anything to worry about with double-dipping.
According to a post on FW, one manager specifically told a customer he was checking (some) codes of coupons in his store. It doesn't seem like it is corporate policy, but it is still a risk.

Last year they always stapled my BBB to my receipt (with my name and info on it). Obviously this is a store-by-store case...

Last edited by mbs; 10-24-06 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-23-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another nice return day for me ... 63 back with 7 $5 and 56 $1 for a total of $91
Old 10-24-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
But say I stroll in with 50 of these things. Do you honestly think they are going to try and input many of the codes, let alone one? Even scanning the barcode will be a PITA for many of them.
Not while you're checking out.

Okay, follow me here.

You go the Bestbuy website, and use your Bestbuy bucks. One of them has a code 0123456789. When you order online you have to give your name, address, and credit card number.

Then, a week later, you walk into a Bestbuy and give the cashier that same Bestbuy buck. She takes it, applies it to your purchase, and sticks it in the big envelope.

Then, at some later point, maybe even after the redemption period is over, they go through and enter all of the unique redemption codes to see if anyone has double-dipped.

They start entering codes and come across the code you used online, 0123456789. When they notice that it's been "double-dipped" both online and in-store, they could then check to see who used it online and then charge-back the amount.

Doesn't matter who used it in the store; as long as they got the physical coupon back AND had the online code used, they can hit the person who used it online because it's tied to a name, address, and credit card number for the online purchase.

Do the rules explicitly state that it can't be redeemed both in-store and online with the unique code? Does it ever tell you to destroy the "buck" after you entered the code or not to redeem it? Since they don't appear to check the unique codes in-store, and actually have seperate "codes" for each use (the generic bar code and the unique alphanumeric) I suppose a case could be made that they're actually seperate uses.
Old 10-24-06, 01:59 AM
mbs

In case anyone still wants to send some, but doesn't want to write the outer envelopes (or just a note for next year)...

I sent a test batch of 30 envelopes with labels (that I laser printed the addresses on) and got them all back today. Those were sent (Berkeley, CA post office) 10/5.

The turnaround is slow as heck for me (about 2.5 weeks or so), but just wanted to let people know that labels will work. So much for all that time spent handwriting the rest of mine. At least I know for next year.
Old 10-24-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
How so? The payout (in BBB) was higher last year ($1.66 per entry last year versus $1.32 this year).
I meant last year. last year was definitely better. I also got my returns faster.
Old 10-24-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not while you're checking out.

Okay, follow me here.

You go the Bestbuy website, and use your Bestbuy bucks. One of them has a code 0123456789. When you order online you have to give your name, address, and credit card number.

Then, a week later, you walk into a Bestbuy and give the cashier that same Bestbuy buck. She takes it, applies it to your purchase, and sticks it in the big envelope.

Then, at some later point, maybe even after the redemption period is over, they go through and enter all of the unique redemption codes to see if anyone has double-dipped.

They start entering codes and come across the code you used online, 0123456789. When they notice that it's been "double-dipped" both online and in-store, they could then check to see who used it online and then charge-back the amount.

Doesn't matter who used it in the store; as long as they got the physical coupon back AND had the online code used, they can hit the person who used it online because it's tied to a name, address, and credit card number for the online purchase.

Do the rules explicitly state that it can't be redeemed both in-store and online with the unique code? Does it ever tell you to destroy the "buck" after you entered the code or not to redeem it? Since they don't appear to check the unique codes in-store, and actually have seperate "codes" for each use (the generic bar code and the unique alphanumeric) I suppose a case could be made that they're actually seperate uses.
It would take only so many millions of man hours to do that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.