Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu Ray Rot

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu Ray Rot

Old 01-23-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 275 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Blu Ray Rot

Good to know. I'll try that. Figured when I saw two of them, and slightly different, they must've been ok. Thankfully there's not too many to check.
Old 01-23-23, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 587 Likes on 406 Posts

Looking at that list, I guess I now know why my Cloverfield no longer works.
Old 01-23-23, 10:43 PM

Had about 10 on the list. Most are fine, I guess. Mostly 'IFPI KK**' or 'OY**' (I think?). One flashlight, magnifying glass and ceiling fixture later . . .

Two with '2TB4': CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER and UNTOUCHABLES (luckily the latter is also in a Jack Ryan 5 pack I bought a few years ago (all of which do not have this code, so it's nice to know they weren't repackaging old stuff), so I should've unloaded it ages ago)

Two with '2TB3': MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 and ITALIAN JOB (these could be '2TB8', but I'm pretty sure it's a '3', but based on your notes above, they might be ok)
Old 01-24-23, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Two with '2TB4': CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER and UNTOUCHABLES
That's good to know, thanks. I've only added titles I have personally seen, or reports that have explicitly mentioned 2TB4. I had seen a few reports about Untouchables possibly being bad, but my personal copy was pressed elsewhere. Now that we know there's a 2TB4 pressing out there, I'll add it to the list.

Can you test those 2 discs in your player? As I mentioned, I had a 100% failure rate of 2TB4 discs in my collection. I'd be curious to know if yours is similar. Most of the discs failed to load entirely, but one title would load but then fail about halfway through the film.

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Two with '2TB3': MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 and ITALIAN JOB
If you have time and inclination, could you test these too? I expect they'd be fine, but it's always nice to have more data. I checked a couple more Paramount discs in my collection that I’d missed earlier and found a 2TB3 and 2TB6. They worked fine, as expected.

Last edited by TheBang; 01-24-23 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-24-23, 09:40 AM

Will try at some point. Haven't watched these since I purchased them, and they've been shelved in a cabinet ever since, plus I'll be watching them on an older player that I favour because it allows me to watch everything at 1.5x speed with the audio on (the only way I can conquer the backlog!). Assuming this issue is widespread though, I'm guessing none of that will matter.