Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

Old 12-20-21, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 421 Likes on 288 Posts
Re: Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

Originally Posted by Doctor Kick View Post
Definitely I always get the dvd if itís cheaper. I have a lot of blu ray dvd combos because some times thatís all thatís available.
Do you have any examples of Blu-ray/ dvd combo packs that you think look the same?
Also what kind of cables are you using?
The following users liked this post:
Doctor Kick (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 02:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Do you have any examples of Blu-ray/ dvd combo packs that you think look the same?
Also what kind of cables are you using?
The Big Gundown from Grindhouse, The Leg Fighters VCI, OJ Made in America ESPN are a few of them. I use the regular HDMI cable that came with the Blu Ray player.
Old 12-20-21, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

If you cannot tell the difference between a standard definition NTSC 480p picture vs a 1080p High Definition, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty big difference. This thread is just going to go around in circles then.

Blu-Rays have gotten so much cheaper in the last 10-15 years. You really don't "save" money buying DVDs unless you're going to some cheap thrift store. But, even then BDs are so widely available and cheap.

It sounds to me like the OP simply isn't knowledgeable of video quality or doesn't pay any attention to it.
Doctor Kick (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 06:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the DVD is cheaper, then I am ďsavingĒ money. No idea how that would be hard to figure out. Iím definitely not knowledgeable on video quality but I am paying attention. Hard to sift through all the insults but I am trying my best. Is NTSC different than high definition? Are you sure you know what you are talking about or are you just acting like you do?

Last edited by Doctor Kick; 12-20-21 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-20-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Is NTSC different than high definition?
NTSC is the standard definition video format used in North America and Japan prior to the transition to HD. It has a resolution of 480i (720x480 interlaced pixels). DVD still uses this format. Other parts of the world used PAL or SECAM, both of which are 576i (720x576 progressive scan) resolution.

High Definition can be 720p (1280x720), 1080i (1920x1080), or 1080p resolution. 1080p (aka "Full HD") is the standard used on Blu-ray.

Ultra High Definition (often called "4K") is 3840x2160 resolution.

The jump from NTSC to 1080p HD is rather significant, especially on larger screen sizes. You should be able to see it on a 55" TV. If you really can't, some possible reasons for that might include:

1) You're sitting too far away from the TV, beyond the limits of your vision to tell the difference.
2) You have a setup error in your equipment and everything is being downgraded to 480p.
3) The choice of viewing material you're watching doesn't benefit from the difference due to issues with source material or quality control. Some of the examples you named are pretty fringe stuff. Have you tried comparing a regular mainstream movie?
4) Your vision isn't as good as it used to be and you may need glasses.
5) Some combination of any or all of the above.

Despite the even greater increase in number of pixels, the jump from 1080p to 4K is actually a case of diminishing returns and may not be as evident except on really large screen sizes. If you'd said you can't see any difference between Blu-ray and 4K, that would be less surprising, and you may even find a bunch of people agreeing with you. (Hell, I don't see much difference on a lot of content.)

However, two decades into the HD era, to say you can't see any difference between DVD and Blu-ray on a decently sized TV is much harder to understand. I'm not saying this to insult you, but most answers to this do point to user error.
Sonic (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 876 Likes on 663 Posts

The Big Gundown from Grindhouse, The Leg Fighters VCI, OJ Made in America ESPN are a few of them. I use the regular HDMI cable that came with the Blu Ray player.
To be blunt, those do not seem like mainstream, triple A titles. Itís very likely they might not have great source material to work with so a Blu-ray might not look better than the DVD.

You need to get a hold of some bigger titles that really benefit from the upgrade.
One that comes to mind is the first DVD of the first Austin Powers movie. It was a very early DVD release and it looks like crap on modern display. The Blu-ray is significantly better. Try to compare something like that on your system.

Also, if youíre just padding your post count so you can post links and try to sell us your NFTs Iím going to be very pissed.
Old 12-22-21, 11:25 AM

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

If the DVD is cheaper, then I am “saving” money. No idea how that would be hard to figure out.
(Without going heavily into current events / politics).

Nowadays since the pandemic started, I also take the factor of my personal time and gasoline, toll, medical, etc ... costs into consideration when it comes to "saving" money. Since early last year, I no longer go "fishing" through many local offline bargain bins anymore to find that low cost bluray (or dvd) title. My personal time is more "valuable" to me, than any "savings" I can get from searching through tons of local dvd/bluray bargain bins (and dealing with exchanges/returns of defective dvd or bluray discs).

So whichever bluray or dvd version I come across first on the stacks at the nearby Wallymart (or grocery, thrift, etc ... shops) where I do my weekly shopping for food, cleaning supplies, etc ... or amazon, I may purchase a dvd or bluray title as an "impulse buy" on the spot. (The only type of titles I insist on buying the bluray version, are A-list sci-fi or some B-list sci-fi movies and some action movies).

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-22-21 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-22-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Life is SOOOO tough when you gotta press an extra button. You are so brave. Hang in there.
It's having to sit through all of the start-up stuff/FBI warnings/etc. again that is the real annoyance.
Alan Smithee (12-23-21)
Old 01-08-22, 11:37 AM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

a. 1080 > 480
b. 1080 = 480
c. 1080 < 480
Old 01-08-22, 11:48 AM

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts