Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

Old 12-16-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Is Blu Ray better than DVD?

Is the OP even using HDMI cables?

There have been a couple of times that I've put in the DVD instead of the Blu-ray. I spent much of the movie feeling like something was just a bit off, like things looked a bit duller. Once the Blu-ray went in, the colors popped again, and the movie looked much better.
The following users liked this post:
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts

Unless something went horribly wrong in the mastering or the source material is bad, 1080p will always look better than 480p.

I notice that some older movies don't necessarily look a lot better on blu-ray than DVD; they were either filmed "soft" or have a lot of grain, or didn't receive a good HD master. I notice this quite a bit with 70s and 80s horror movies.

But blu-rays for films like Avatar or Transformers will blow the DVD out of the water.

And another factor, as mentioned above, is that often times the color timing is tinkered with, adding tints -- the dreaded "teal and orange," or what was done with the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring, which added a weird green tint to the entire movie and crushed blacks. And then there's the first blu-ray of Bram Stoker's Dracula...
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It's been ages since I've seen a blu-ray player that had a composite or component output. I think they're all HDMI only now.

Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

This was my first question as well, and I'd bet not.

If you are using the yellow RCA composite video cable, that is not capable of transmitting high-definition video. You need to buy an HDMI cable and use that instead.
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It's been ages since I've seen a blu-ray player that had a composite or component output. I think they're all HDMI only now.
How old is the OP's TV and player?
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
Doctor Kick (12-17-21), Josh Z (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 126 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Unless something went horribly wrong in the mastering or the source material is bad, 1080p will always look better than 480p.

I notice that some older movies don't necessarily look a lot better on blu-ray than DVD; they were either filmed "soft" or have a lot of grain, or didn't receive a good HD master. I notice this quite a bit with 70s and 80s horror movies.
(On a tangent).

Some modern era tv shows also appear to do this, where it looked like a softening "crap-fying" filter was applied to the video. The worst culprits were shows like Criminal Minds and the first NCIS.

Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It depends on which metric one uses, and even then it would depend on the specific discs themselves. For the most part, the picture quality on a blue ray should be better than it's corresponding dvd. Not always the case, though. Where the argument can be made that dvd is "better" is in, as already mentioned, the "resuming from where you left off feature". Worked on every dvd, realy hit or miss, ore miss, on blue ray. Also, the sheer number of titles put out on dvd vs blueray is way higher. Dvds are also usually less money.
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
One of my all time favorite movies is Van Damme's Cyborg.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norm de Plume:
Doctor Kick (12-17-21), Sonic (12-16-21)
Old 12-16-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Kick View Post
So the answer then is no, you did not get a Blu Ray DVD combo pack to compare them.
It would not change anything. A 480p reference dvd cannot compare to a 1080p reference blu-ray.
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post

I take it it's not on your favorite list?

Van Damme back in the day was a legend.
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 08:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

One of my all time favorite movies is Van Damme's Cyborg. When I bought Shout Factory's Collectors Edition it makes the DVD look like diarrhea.
I have that on DVD, I really like the movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for the SFCE, if I can find it for my kind of price. Upgrades like that on movies I really like are definitely a good thing.
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

We're being trolled so hard right now
The following 3 users liked this post by Gizmo:
Alan Smithee (12-17-21), Doctor Kick (12-17-21), Josh Z (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Is your TV a 55-inch CRT?
Not sure about that. Itís widescreen and when I press the info button on the remote it says 1920x1080/24p
Is the brand name of your TV Fisher Price?

The following 2 users liked this post by Sonic:
Doctor Kick (12-17-21), Kurt D (12-16-21)
Old 12-17-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

I take it it's not on your favorite list?
It's not as bad as its critical reception suggested. I also found it entertaining, but it wouldn't fall within a few thousand of my favourites. To each his own, right? Respect, man!
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 519 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Life is SOOOO tough when you gotta press an extra button. You are so brave. Hang in there.
Actually, the question is valid. It's not about an "extra" button press, the REAL reason is a Javascript artificial limitation. Discs authored with that abomination of Javascript code can't be started from where they left off because it's a "copy-protection" type of limitation. To get around this, every disc, when stripped of its Javascript code *will* resume play where it left off. But, of course the only way to do this is to strip off all that garbage yourself, re-author a proper copy, and burn that disc for your own personal viewing pleasure, WITHOUT all of those needlessly draconian limitations.
Doctor Kick (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
It's not as bad as its critical reception suggested. I also found it entertaining, but it wouldn't fall within a few thousand of my favourites. To each his own, right? Respect, man!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sonic:
Doctor Kick (12-17-21), Norm de Plume (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 08:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The bad guy in Cyborg is awesome. Not sure if Iíve seen him in anything else. Hard Targetís always been my favorite Van Damme. That hair. He shouldíve won an Oscar for that hair.

You guys seem pretty confident that Blu Ray is better. I have a 2 tv setup and I canít see the difference. Some times I think I see a slight difference, but itís not enough to where I can say oh yeah I definitely see it. Will try to compare something like avatar or transformers some time. I hate those movies though so may have to try something else🤣
Sonic (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bad guy in Cyborg is awesome. Not sure if Iíve seen him in anything else. Hard Targetís always been my favorite Van Damme. That hair. He shouldíve won an Oscar for that hair.
I enjoyed the interviews on the blu-ray shout disc. The bad guy indeed was very cool. Hard Target is another film I greatly enjoy. Fantastic mullet. I remember Arsenio Hall not being too fond of his mullet when he interviewed Van Damme when he was promoting Hard Target. Love the motorcycle scene. A shame the 4K disc was authored with technical issues.

You guys seem pretty confident that Blu Ray is better. I have a 2 tv setup and I canít see the difference. Some times I think I see a slight difference, but itís not enough to where I can say oh yeah I definitely see it. Will try to compare something like avatar or transformers some time. I hate those movies though so may have to try something else🤣
You can try this formula that is highly talked about in this thread. It might work!
Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-18-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 721 Likes on 498 Posts

No offense, but if you really don't know what a CRT TV is (or don't care to look it up) then I think the facts arising from your question would probably be irrelevant to you anyway?
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Alan Smithee (12-20-21), Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
No offense, but if you really don't know what a CRT TV is (or don't care to look it up) then I think the facts arising from your question would probably be irrelevant to you anyway?
Iím pretty sure CRT TVs are bigger and newer widescreen TVs are thinner. Iíve looked it up and CRT has a tube in it. They are different kind of TVs. But yeah technical stuff like that goes over my head. Reading information doesnít impact the image I see on a TV. Never had a problem with my vision but I guess itís not perfect like I thought.
Old 12-19-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you don't see a difference, then don't buy Blu-ray. You can also go back to watching TV shows in standard definition. Find the silver linings in your eyes not working correctly.
Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 10:43 AM

Received 126 Likes on 111 Posts

(Independent of whether anybody can "see" the picture quality difference between bluray and dvd).

The primary reason why I ended up buying the bluray versions, was that the bluray was frequently around the same price or sometimes even less than the price of the dvd-only version.
Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

It could also depend if the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV is actually 1080 or not. And even if it is 1080, there were limitations with CRT, which is why Plasma and later LCD became much more popular.

Last edited by b2net; 12-19-21 at 12:53 PM.
Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 12:34 PM

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

^ Minor correction: CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube, not continuous.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbrown498:
Doctor Kick (12-19-21), Kurt D (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
^ Minor correction: CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube, not continuous.
whoops. Literally a phone auto correct. LoL
Fixed now.
Doctor Kick (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 10:58 PM

If you don't see a difference, then don't buy Blu-ray. You can also go back to watching TV shows in standard definition. Find the silver linings in your eyes not working correctly.
Definitely I always get the dvd if itís cheaper. I have a lot of blu ray dvd combos because some times thatís all thatís available.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.