Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Old 12-13-22, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 206 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Ordered the In The Line Of Duty set from Amazon. Blind buys for me, but it sounds like I will really enjoy these films.
Old 12-14-22, 10:26 AM

Received 278 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
The packaging is usually nice, and I like flipping through the booklets and seeing all of the posters and such, but they take up a lot more shelf space and the writing is pretty hit or miss. I read the essay on Hero the other night and it's really just a couple thousand words slagging the film. Not everything is a masterpiece (I had never seen Hero and was underwhelmed myself), and sometimes these essays try to make something out of a movie that it's not, but surely there's enough interesting context around Hero that 88 could have included something a little less derogatory.
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Update From 88's FB: IN THE LINE OF DUTY Limited Edition BOXSET featuring rigid slipcase, posters and a 100-page booklet with brand new writing and interviews is now finally available to pre-order on Amazon USA! Release Date Feb/March despite currently being listed for May and the price will drop from its current listing so get your preorders in now and don't miss out.
In light of the announcement that the ITLOD set will have a 100-page booklet, this is probably a good opportunity to revisit something 'rocket1312' mentioned earlier about the writing in 88's books being hit and miss. Having read the books that accompanied the 88 Films boxed sets for ON THE RUN and RIGHTING WRONGS, I have to say that they really need to either get better and more experienced writers, or experienced print editors to vet the writers they do hire. The content of both books was clearly padded to fill a pre-determined page count so the booklet would fit comfortably beside a Blu-ray case inside a hard-shell box of pre-determinate size. The writer, Matthew Edwards, despite name-dropping various 'publications' in his bio, is a barely-average writer, technically speaking. The text in at least one essay (can't remember which) is essentially an endless synopsis with fawning fist-pumps for every fight scene. Actually, maybe both were like that, can't remember. Grammatical errors were noticeable throughout. In the interviews, the quotes from the subjects are usually presented like 'pull-quotes', but that's more of a visual design thing than an editorial thing. The index page for the ON THE RUN book lists interviews with "actor Albert Cheung" and "director Pat Ha". And no one caught that in the proofing stage? In comparison, the book that accompanies Vinegar Syndrome's limited edition of RIGHTING WRONGS has three essays by people with extensive knowledge of not just the film, but also the industry and culture that produced it circa 1986, so their essays aren't just barely-disguised, internet-worthy reviews but actual explorations of the bigger picture, and detail-rich. They also have writing skills (and probably training) outside of reviews or Hong Kong fandom, especially Grady Hendrix. The only beef I have with the VS book is that two of the writers are uncredited on the title pages of their own essays, including Hendrix. If you know his writing style, you can sort it out pretty quick, but it's a sloppy oversight. Nonetheless, I've seen more criticisms overall of 88's books, so hopefully they'll take that to heart with such a large piece for the ITLOD box. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-31-22, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Amazon Amazon

I just saw the In the Line of Duty box set is $80.

Seems like a good set of these classic 80s HK police movies. But, it's still over 5 months away. I'm interested, but I don't think I want to pre-order this early.
Old 12-31-22, 12:42 AM

Received 206 Likes on 177 Posts

So I was checking on my Amazon preorder of the ITLOD set, and sure enough my purchase price has already been adjusted to reflect the lower price, but the real shocker is that I glimpsed a listing for a 4K edition of Dragonslayer coming out in a few months.

Holy carp, Dragonslayer is a long overdue film to get the HD treatment.

Anyway, I have derailed the thread enough and will stop now.
Old 01-05-23, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just saw the In the Line of Duty box set is $80.
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
So I was checking on my Amazon preorder of the ITLOD set, and sure enough my purchase price has already been adjusted to reflect the lower price
$61.99 at Grindhouse Video. They do charge shipping – $5.73 for me (not sure if it varies by state), so $67.72 total. However, they do offer free shipping over $100, so I'm debating adding a few 'needs' from the Synapse sale (which I missed at MVD) to get me there. The only drawback is pre-orders can't be canceled like at Amazon, but if Amazon doesn't match this price, well . . . tough call.
https://grindhousevideo.com/products...dition-blu-ray

$64.99 at Diabolik. $5.00 flat rate shipping. No free shipping as far as I know (tested two of these in my cart and still $5.00)
https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...-ray-preorder/

Last edited by Brian T; 01-05-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-06-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Are Supercop and Dragons Forever ever gonna be released? It seems every time Amazon sends me an update on either of them is to say the release date has been pushed back.
Old 01-06-23, 01:33 PM

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Are Supercop and Dragons Forever ever gonna be released? It seems every time Amazon sends me an update on either of them is to say the release date has been pushed back.
The dates moved up to next Tuesday again.
Old 01-06-23, 03:20 PM

I've gotten multiple 'delivery estimate' updates for both of those, plus GORGEOUS and MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS. Wonder what the deal is -- issues with 88's supply chain?
Old 01-06-23, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 639 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I've gotten multiple 'delivery estimate' updates for both of those, plus GORGEOUS and MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS. Wonder what the deal is -- issues with 88's supply chain?
I know they mentioned in the past that they underestimated the lead time needed for UHD replication. With fewer and fewer manufacturing facilities devoted to physical media, I think it's becoming more and more competitive to get factory time. No idea if this is the case here, or if it applies to standard Blu-rays as well, but I assume it does.
Old 01-07-23, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 300 Posts

Amazon Canada has Dragon Forever for next week, January 10th. Supercop for March 14th and Gorgeous for March 28th.
Old 01-07-23, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's hoping those are the final dates. I've been looking forward to revisiting them.

With fewer and fewer manufacturing facilities devoted to physical media, I think it's becoming more and more competitive to get factory time.
I know we're getting closer to the sad day when physical media dies, but when that day comes, I hope we get more services like Kaleidescape (no matter how unlikely/impossible that may seem), since they are the only suitable replacement in terms of quality. Even the best of streaming isn't good enough. And I'd rather own what I pay for.
Old 01-09-23, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Amazon Canada has Dragon Forever for next week, January 10th. Supercop for March 14th and Gorgeous for March 28th.
Amazon US now has all four titles releasing January 10 (Blu-ray editions in my case). It's like whack-a-mole with these release dates. While it would be great to have all four (finally) ship at the same time, I probably shouldn't hold my breath as the estimated ship dates on my actual orders are still all over the map.
Old 01-10-23, 01:40 PM

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I received my copy of Dragons Forever earlier today. I wasn't expecting it to be in a slipbox like Arrow usually does, but it is a nice set. I am hoping Magnificent Warriors will be shipping soon since I have seen pictures of people posting their copies of it, but Amazon is saying my copy will arrive Jan 25-26 with a release date of Feb 21, so it's up in the air.

ETA - Just got an email from Amazon pushing MW back to Feb 24, which I kind of figured would happen.

Last edited by flansered; 01-10-23 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-10-23, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by flansered View Post
I received my copy of Dragons Forever earlier today. I wasn't expecting it to be in a slipbox like Arrow usually does, but it is a nice set. I am hoping Magnificent Warriors will be shipping soon since I have seen pictures of people posting their copies of it, but Amazon is saying my copy will arrive Jan 25-26 with a release date of Feb 21, so it's up in the air.

ETA - Just got an email from Amazon pushing MW back to Feb 24, which I kind of figured would happen.
I got three 'delivery estimate updates' this morning for MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS, GORGEOUS and POLICE STORY 3, all more or less in the same ballpark they've been in for ages now. Guess the mystery Jan. 10 release date for those plus DRAGONS was just wishful thinking.

Regarding the slipbox on DRAGONS, for months the only promotional image that showed a hard box seemed to be for the 4K set, which made me think only that came with the box, book, etc. So I held off ordering the Blu-ray edition until I knew for sure it was in a similar case. Saw that edition on a shelf in a mall movie store in London (Ontario, during a road trip) about two weeks ago -- way early -- and saw the box first hand, which prompted me to order it when I got home. When I googled the sets, I only found one image showing both boxes. Made me wonder if Arrow was deliberately trying to move people toward the 4K box.

I'm assuming Arrow's Blu-ray edition of POLICE STORY 3 will also be in a hard box like the 4K counterpart favoured in promo pics. Don't know about the other two, but I doubt they warrant the treatment.
Old 01-14-23, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Was Supercop 4K delayed? The listing says out of stock on Amazon, but the 88 films site says it's coming soon. Amazon initially listed it as coming out this month. It's a little expensive at $30, but just curious if anyone ordered it.
Old 01-14-23, 07:23 PM

Was Supercop 4K delayed? The listing says out of stock on Amazon, but the 88 films site says it's coming soon. Amazon initially listed it as coming out this month. It's a little expensive at $30, but just curious if anyone ordered it.
March 14th is the current date. They could move it up again if their production issues get worked out.
Old 01-15-23, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Supposedly my copy of Dragons Forever is arriving on Thursday. After all this waiting, I hope the movie lives up to my warm fuzzy memories.
Old 01-18-23, 03:06 PM

Some teases for 2023... Magic Crystal and also Dragon Fist and To Kill With Intrigue re-releases.

I also got my Dragons Forever UHD. It looks great.

The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (01-18-23)
Old 01-18-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon just emailed me an update on the release date of Supercop, stating
​​​​​
New estimated delivery date:
We will email you as soon as we have a delivery date.
Old 01-18-23, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Amazon just emailed me an update on the release date of Supercop, stating
​​​​​
It was postponed until March 14th as dex said above.
Old 01-18-23, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was postponed until March 14th as dex said above.
Given the email from Amazon, I thought that date had been changed as well.
Old 01-19-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got another update from Amazon, regarding Supercop.

New estimated delivery date:
Friday, March 17, 2023 - Thursday, March 23, 2023
EDIT: My copy of Dragons Forever arrived today.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-19-23 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-26-23, 12:04 PM

Old 01-26-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 639 Likes on 450 Posts

So with the Dragon Fist and To Kill with Intrigue teases, that's all of 88's early Jackie titles that needed do-overs, right? So glad I avoided those at the time.

Now we just need proper releases of Magnificent Bodyguards, Island of Fire, Twin Dragons, Thunderbolt, First Strike and Who Am I to complete Jackie's entire pre-Hollywood star period. I never thought I'd see the day. (I know there's a few random oddities sprinkled in there like Fantasy Mission Force and Fearless Hyena 2, but I'm not going to hold my breath).
Old 01-26-23, 01:01 PM

So with the Dragon Fist and To Kill with Intrigue teases, that's all of 88's early Jackie titles that needed do-overs, right? So glad I avoided those at the time.

Now we just need proper releases of Magnificent Bodyguards, Island of Fire, Twin Dragons, Thunderbolt, First Strike and Who Am I to complete Jackie's entire pre-Hollywood star period. I never thought I'd see the day. (I know there's a few random oddities sprinkled in there like Fantasy Mission Force and Fearless Hyena 2, but I'm not going to hold my breath).
I think the oddities you mentioned like Fantasy Mission Force and Fearless Hyena 2 are more likely from the boutique labels.

Thunderbolt and First Strike are with Warner... so we need to hope WB Archive will do it. And throw in an uncut Rumble in the Bronx while they're at it. But their release of DMII isn't as good as it could've been.

Who Am I? seems to be in some weird limbo where nobody knows who owns the rights. WB says its not them and some have said Sony doesn't anymore either. So who knows... I'd like to have a nice edition of that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.