Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: I Can't Believe It's STILL Not on Blu ray (or 4K)!

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I'd love to see a blu-ray release of both seasons of The Mandalorian as everyone seems to say it decent and worthy to be alongside the rest of the real Star Wars movies but Disney doesn't seem to want to put it out on physical media or other streaming platforms. I don't have the means to get Disney Plus.
But you have the means to buy blu-rays?
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (01-03-21)
Old 01-02-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

AVALON - a Barry Levinson film that is one of my favorites

THE GODFATHER - The Complete Epic, or the Saga, or whatever cut includes all the deleted scenes, and is in chronological order (but please, not the GODFATHER III recut, which is worse than the underrated original)

SUPERMAN II (extended version)

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (extended)
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-02-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
A chronological release of the Looney Tunes cartoons.
Doubt we'll ever get all the Looney Tunes released on BD, much less in chronological order. The HD restorations needed for all 1000(?) cartoons have been deemed by WB too expensive to ever justify it. We are getting some new restorations of select cartoons because HBO MAX is floating in play money at the moment but that won't last long.
Old 01-03-21, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Doubt we'll ever get all the Looney Tunes released on BD, much less in chronological order. The HD restorations needed for all 1000(?) cartoons have been deemed by WB too expensive to ever justify it. We are getting some new restorations of select cartoons because HBO MAX is floating in play money at the moment but that won't last long.
I've heard that before and it's one of the most stupid reasons for not to do it. HBOMax should be reason enough to have all those 1000+ shorts restored in HD. It shows how much these bean counters care about their vault.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-03-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Stanley Tucci's Big Night (1996)
Old 01-04-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

The Dead Zone — Stephen King, David Cronenberg, Christopher Walken... c’mon already!

Shout/Scream, Criterion... somebody get this done.

Old 01-04-21, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Amazing Colossal Man
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-05-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Dead Zone — Stephen King, David Cronenberg, Christopher Walken... c’mon already!

It's actually on a blu-ray, but it's the compilation "Stephen King 5-Movie Collection". People have been assuming Shout! or one of the other boutiques will eventually get it and I sure hope that happens.
Old 01-05-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^Pretty lame that a 5 movie collection would have 2 versions of Pet Sematary.

That being said, it's a decent price on Amazon ($24 CDN).
Old 01-05-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Dead Zone Blu-ray came out this year.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/09/11/dea...lu-ray-review/
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-06-21, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
But you have the means to buy blu-rays?
I don't know about bluelitespecial, but my HT is closed circuit- no cable, no wi-fi- just a disc player. Which is the way I like it.

If I want to stream anything, like I'm doing for the next couple weeks with HBOmax, I'm stuck watching it on a 27" monitor vs a 9' wide screen.

As it is I'll probably end up popping for a couple months of Disney+ just for WandaVison- but it's not my ideal. Yeah I would absolutely pay more to get all these streaming shows on Bd sets I don't see it happening though- especially with Disney's disdain for physical media.
Old 01-07-21, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TOP SECRET is available on blu-ray from Australia. I bought this from Amazon last year. But it’s not a great copy. It really does need to be remastered.
Old 01-09-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Bully (2001) - I watched my DVD copy the other day and this movie is still as powerful now as it was 20 years ago. Can't believe this Larry Clark film has not hit BD by now.
andicus (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Bully (2001) - I watched my DVD copy the other day and this movie is still as powerful now as it was 20 years ago. Can't believe this Larry Clark film has not hit BD by now.
I'd also like to see Apt Pupil in a real Region A release.

Old 01-09-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Dead Zone Blu-ray came out this year.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/09/11/dead-zon-blu-ray-review/
Sounds like a dreadful release. Maybe someone will release a proper version so we don't have to settle. I just settled by recently buying only a decent release of Clifford.
Old 01-09-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I would like to get physical releases of The Mandalorian as well. Also new releases of The Clone Wars would be nice.

I also second the director’s edition/extended cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Also that reminds me that I’ve never picked up the director’s edition of The Wrath of Khan. I have it on DVD, and have the theatrical edition on Blu-ray in the collection containing the first six films.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-09-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have the first six seasons of The Clone Wars on DVD but I’d give semi-serious thought to rebuying a set on Blu that had the episodes in the right order.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-10-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (extended)
Originally Posted by Mike86
I also second the director’s edition/extended cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
I believe that the Director's Cut of ST:TMP was only mastered in 480p, or at least the new CGI special effects were, so that one is kind of doubtful unless they go back and re-render the CGI. I don't think there's too much of it, so it could happen. 4K would be nice.

I actually wouldn't mind a "kitchen sink" cut of the movie that included all of the scenes from the theatrical cut, tv cut, and director's cut. There are quite a few nice scenes that are unique to each version.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-11-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that the Director's Cut of ST:TMP was only mastered in 480p, or at least the new CGI special effects were, so that one is kind of doubtful unless they go back and re-render the CGI. I don't think there's too much of it, so it could happen. 4K would be nice.

Yeah, I remember reading about that at the time it happened. Pretty sure it was Harry Knowles on AICN who was pointing out how shortsighted it was to render at SD resolution with the HD TV and disc formats right around the corner. Even if they had done it at 1080 or even 720, it would upconvert well enough but 480 is just not enough. There's several twitter and Facebook groups dedicated to pushing Paramount to re-render the FX in hi-def and they occasionally comment that they're bending the ears of people in the industry, so maybe it will happen.

I actually wouldn't mind a "kitchen sink" cut of the movie that included all of the scenes from the theatrical cut, tv cut, and director's cut. There are quite a few nice scenes that are unique to each version.
Yeah, there's some bits after Spock's mindmeld with V'Ger that are really integral to the plot and it always bothers me when I watch a version without them.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-11-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, I remember reading about that at the time it happened. Pretty sure it was Harry Knowles on AICN who was pointing out how shortsighted it was to render at SD resolution with the HD TV and disc formats right around the corner. Even if they had done it at 1080 or even 720, it would upconvert well enough but 480 is just not enough. There's several twitter and Facebook groups dedicated to pushing Paramount to re-render the FX in hi-def and they occasionally comment that they're bending the ears of people in the industry, so maybe it will happen.
I think it was a budget issue. Paramount were being cheapskates and wouldn't allocate enough money to the project to do it in HD. In addition to the VFX, the entire Director's Edition version of the movie was edited and completed in SD. Not only will all the CGI need to be re-rendered, all the other footage will also need to be re-scanned and edited.

That's certainly not impossible, but it once again would come down to how much money Paramount wants to spend. Despite it actually being a huge box office hit in its day, the studio still holds the view that TMP is a dog that no fans ever want to buy. Then add in the fact that they still whine about how the Next Generation remasters didn't sell well on Blu-ray, and there seems to be a big lack of desire at the studio to invest in Star Trek catalog product.

If this restoration project were to move forward, it would probably be a Paramount+ exclusive to bolster interest in the streaming service.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-11-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think it was a budget issue. Paramount were being cheapskates and wouldn't allocate enough money to the project to do it in HD. In addition to the VFX, the entire Director's Edition version of the movie was edited and completed in SD. Not only will all the CGI need to be re-rendered, all the other footage will also need to be re-scanned and edited.

That's certainly not impossible, but it once again would come down to how much money Paramount wants to spend. Despite it actually being a huge box office hit in its day, the studio still holds the view that TMP is a dog that no fans ever want to buy. Then add in the fact that they still whine about how the Next Generation remasters didn't sell well on Blu-ray, and there seems to be a big lack of desire at the studio to invest in Star Trek catalog product.

If this restoration project were to move forward, it would probably be a Paramount+ exclusive to bolster interest in the streaming service.
Ah, a Pirate Bay exclusive, gotcha. Not advocating for that or anything, just saying all these streaming services are destroying the good thing Netflix created, we're almost back to cable tv now, having to buy so many channels. It's just absurd.
Old 01-11-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
The last release for John Sayles "City of Hope" was VHS.

Also:

Over the Edge
Pump Up the Volume
What About Bob?
Old 01-12-21, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I forgot about Pump Up the Volume
Old 01-13-21, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Ah, a Pirate Bay exclusive, gotcha. Not advocating for that or anything, just saying all these streaming services are destroying the good thing Netflix created, we're almost back to cable tv now, having to buy so many channels. It's just absurd.
THIS! Have been saying it for many years and we have already past a point where the number of services you need to subscribe to is beyond ridiculous, and some have even failed (MGM's dedicated Stargate channel for example).
Old 01-13-21, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
In the works.
Is there an announcement for this or anywhere to see where they are at with Dead Alive/Braindead?
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.