Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Old 01-01-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 643 Posts
Re: The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

From Beyond 4K
The two Peekarama titles and Trauma for $10 each and Road House 4K

Old 01-01-23, 12:42 PM

Received 3,442 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The rewards section is now active too.
Old 01-01-23, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Bonus material announced for Sidekicks. And they actually got Norris to participate in a commentary and interview........Aaron Norris that is Chuck's brother and the director of it.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-03-23, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 726 Posts

Pre-ordered From Beyond LE slipcover, my first VS order. Now just gotta figure out a way for her to sign it.
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-03-23, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 216 Posts

Glad to see them coming down a few rungs on the Hong Kong cinema ladder. The market will only bear so many editions of the 'easy' top Golden Harvest / Fortune Star / Jackie titles. I'm even more glad that they're bundling these lower-end movies together. There's just not much in the way of supplements that can be produced for titles like these (as evidenced by the participation of jobbing 'experts' not exactly known for deep connections to Hong Kong cinema) so the very act of releasing them in sets gives them a bit more 'value' as opposed to trying to justify individual editions. Would be nice if companies like Error 4444 and others took this approach, just to get the stuff on the market while the interest is there. There's a lot of highly worthwhile HK schlock that would be best served in multi-feature sets like this VS edition, rather than stringing us along into retirement with overpriced singles.
Old 01-03-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,394 Likes on 914 Posts

The first VSL title is the 1943 horror anthology Flesh and Fantasy.

Welcome Vinegar Syndrome Labs (VSL) to the VS Sub-Label family! As with each of our sub-labels we are hoping to expand and defy expectations with the diversity of films we restore and release. As the name implies, VSL will serve as a kind of testing area for releasing genres and eras of film that one might not immediately expect to come from VS. The ultimate objective of VSL will be to see if these types of films will find an audience, and if so, pursue and release more of them…and even if not, still serve as a means of restoring more of the weird, rare, and unusual movies you might not expect from Vinegar Syndrome.

A trilogy of tales of love and death.

First, a drowning during Mardi Gras leads to a bitter woman’s masked reckoning. Next, an upstanding citizen is driven to madness and murder by a palm reader’s prophesy. Finally, a circus tightrope walker is haunted by dreams of a mysterious woman and his own death.

One of the first horror anthology films made by an American studio – and two years before DEAD OF NIGHT – award-winning director Julien Duvivier (PÉPÉ LE MOKO) delivers FLESH AND FANTASY, three strange and at times surreal stories of the supernatural with an all-star cast that includes Edward G. Robinson (Soylent Green), Barbara Stanwyck (Double Indemnity), and Charles Boyer (Gaslight), who also co-produced. Stunningly photographed by Oscar® winner Stanley Cortez (THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER) and lushly scored by Oscar® nominee Alexander Tansman, Vinegar Syndrome Labs presents the Blu-ray debut of this landmark in 1940s genre filmmaking, newly restored in 2K and featuring insightful critical appreciations along with rare archival materials.

directed by: Julien Duvivier
starring: Edward G. Robinson, Barbara Stanwyck, Charles Boyer, Betty Field, Robert Cummings
1943 / 94 min / 1.37:1 / English Mono

Additional info:
  • Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm dupe negative
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian / author Barry Forshaw and film critic / author Kim Newman
  • “Fate News or The Dark world of Julien Duvivier” - a featurette with French film director Christophe Gans
  • Video trailer
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • English SDH subtitles
Old 01-06-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

And the second....! Curucu, Beast of the Amazon.

When reports of a clawed beast cause hundreds of natives to flee their Brazilian plantation jobs, the landowners send a macho trouble-shooter aptly named Rock Dean and cancer-researching doctor Andrea Romar deep into the rainforest for a steamy odyssey of dance numbers, headhunters, blowguns, grope-happy savages and one of the most infamous monsters in horror history!

From famed writer/director Curt Siodmak – scribe of THE WOLF MAN, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE and DONOVAN’S BRAIN – comes perhaps the most notorious jungle shocker of the 50s: CURUCU, BEAST OF THE AMAZON! Starring 50s B-movie legend John Bromfield (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE), cult movie icon, Beverly Garland (IT CONQUERED THE WORLD), alongside Tom Payne (LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON), Vinegar Syndrome Labs offers this criminally overlooked studio produced shocker on Blu-ray for the first time, newly restored in 2K from its completely uncensored 35mm dupe negative.

directed by: Curt Siodmak
starring: John Bromfield, Beverly Garland, Tom Payne, Harvey Chalk, Larri Thomas, Wilson Vianna, Andrea Bayard
1956 / 75 min / 2.00:1 / English Mono

Additional info:
  • Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm dupe negative
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian / author Barry Forshaw and film critic / author Kim Newman
  • Archival video featurette with writer/director Curt Siodmak
  • Video trailer
  • English SDH subtitles
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:48 PM

Glenn Erickson's review of KL's Blu-ray of Siodmak's LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON makes several references to CURUCU. Seems they were both part of some low-rent deal to make two pictures in Brazil. It's an interesting read:
https://trailersfromhell.com/love-sl...f-the-amazons/

Seems like CURUCU is generally considered the worst of two bad movies, and neither "the most notorious jungle shocker of the 50s" nor "criminally overlooked." The hyperbole from these boutique labels is so thick these days.
Old 01-07-23, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The last of this week's titles is Undeclared War.

UNDECLARED WAR is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video store chain, The Archive, with locations in Bridgeport, CT and Aurora, CO.

Unique to this line, each hand numbered limited edition release will come fitted in a specially designed, bottom loading VHS inspired slipcase, while also including a double-sided poster.

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Tony Stella) is strictly limited to 5,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

After a Polish diplomat and his family are murdered by a radical terrorist organization, CIA agent Gary Redner tracks the violent extremist group to Hong Kong on a personal mission of revenge. Once in Hong Kong, the "rough-and-ready" Gary is reluctantly partnered with "by the book" Special Branch Inspector Bong, in order to track down the terrorists before their next horrific attack. While the two men do not see eye to eye professionally nor culturally, they must put aside their personal differences and work together in order to take down the terrorist organization as well as the group's mysterious and ruthless leader, known only as Hannibal.

Featuring the signature bloody violence that director Ringo Lam (City on Fire, Burning Paradise) has become known for, UNDECLARED WAR is a dark and uncompromising neo-noir that doesn't pull its punches. One of the rare Hong Kong productions featuring a mix of international actors speaking multiple languages, UNDECLARED WAR stars American actor Peter Liapis (Ghoulies), Hong Kong actor Danny Lee (John Woo's The Killer), renowned Australian character actor Vernon Wells (The Road Warrior), and acclaimed British actress Olivia Hussey (Black Christmas). Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this stylishly directed slice of Hong Kong action on Blu-ray for the first time in the United States, newly restored from studio supplied masters.

directed by: Ringo Lam
starring: Peter Liapis, Danny Lee, Vernon Wells, Olivia Hussey, Rosamund Kwan, Kwong-Leung Wong, Victor Hon, David Hedison
1990 / 107 min / 2.35:1 / Cantonese & Mandarin Mono

Additional info:
  • Region Free Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Presented in its original Cantonese language soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles, along with a Mandarin language dub track
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian and author Samm Deighan
  • “The Business of Revolution” - a brand new interview with actor Vernon Wells
  • “Undeclared Score” - a brand new interview with composer Noel Quinlan
  • Newly translated English subtitles
Old 01-07-23, 12:10 PM

I literally just bought the HK version of that. Oh well.
Old 01-07-23, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-ordered Undeclared War, with a couple of 10 for $10 titles.
Old 01-07-23, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I literally just bought the HK version of that. Oh well.
I’ve had that one for a few years but I’m a bit hesitant on the VS version because of the “original Cantonese language track” in the listing. The majority of the dialogue in this movie, even that spoken by the Hong Kong actors, is in ENGLISH (I mean, look at the cast!). I have to assume they just mean “Cantonese track” in the sense that it emanated from Hong Kong, but retains the English audio where it’s appropriate, as per the original home video release in the west back in the day, which was really the market for which the film was intended. I believe the Mandarin track dubs everyone into that language, but I could be wrong as I haven’t watched the HK Blu-ray for years. I’m pretty sure a full-Mandarin track exists, though, which makes me think a full-Cantonese track might as well (for the local market).

Knowing VS, I suppose I can be confident that they actually mean we’ll get a Cantonese/English track, but it would be helpful if they’d fix the listing details to confirm it.

Also extremely confident that this title will stay in stock until a future sale, like all their other HK releases.
Old 01-07-23, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 236 Likes on 167 Posts

I didn't see anything I wanted among the new movies or sale titles. I'd like to get Invisible Maniac but might wait till next month.
Old 01-07-23, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I’ve had that one for a few years but I’m a bit hesitant on the VS version because of the “original Cantonese language track” in the listing. The majority of the dialogue in this movie, even that spoken by the Hong Kong actors, is in ENGLISH (I mean, look at the cast!). I have to assume they just mean “Cantonese track” in the sense that it emanated from Hong Kong, but retains the English audio where it’s appropriate, as per the original home video release in the west back in the day, which was really the market for which the film was intended. I believe the Mandarin track dubs everyone into that language, but I could be wrong as I haven’t watched the HK Blu-ray for years. I’m pretty sure a full-Mandarin track exists, though, which makes me think a full-Cantonese track might as well (for the local market).

Knowing VS, I suppose I can be confident that they actually mean we’ll get a Cantonese/English track, but it would be helpful if they’d fix the listing details to confirm it.

Also extremely confident that this title will stay in stock until a future sale, like all their other HK releases.
The HK disc has a 5.1 upmix though right? Whereas this is probably the original mono.

I just dig the Stella artwork a lot.

I’ll probably see if I can sell the HK disc and just get this one during the BF sale.

Last edited by dex14; 01-07-23 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 04:25 PM

I gotta say… this was a pretty cool week. The 10 for $10 sale was fun and I bought stuff I never ever would have considered at their normal prices. For $10, it was a no brainer. I think they’d be wise to incorporate something like the 10 for $10 sale as a regular thing during their BF sale. Even if it was a daily rotation of 10 for $15. I think it drove a lot of traffic to site.

I am absolutely not in to a majority of their titles. But with them breaking into more HK and DTV action titles, I’ve been taking more notice. I think the people behind the brand are incredibly smart and good at what they do. They have an extremely good business mode. They have absolutely tapped into the FOMO collector mentality, but at least what they offer is premium, even if the title itself is likely to be shit. And this is being said by someone who would consider a lot their releases as ripoffs at what they charge.

I like that they offer a subscription (though I’d never do it), I like that they offer two big sales a year. I like that they shut down their site, or do partners only month, and focus on managing the orders and shipments. And whoever writes their copy for the releases really knows how to sell it.

I wish some of the boutiques I really liked followed some of things they were doing.
Old 01-09-23, 11:05 AM

The HK disc has a 5.1 upmix though right? Whereas this is probably the original mono.
Indeed it does, but it does have the right 'mix' of languages. I'm assuming the VS edition will be the same, but they've just misidentified it in their product description. Even the Canadian (presumably US?) VHS releases back in the day had it. I'd likewise have no problem flipping the HK edition later on. As I mentioned, I don't see this one selling out at full price, and I can take or leave the slips (excellent artwork aside), so I'm hopeful it will stay in stock until a sale. Same with the 'Made In HK' set.

I gotta say… this was a pretty cool week. The 10 for $10 sale was fun and I bought stuff I never ever would have considered at their normal prices. For $10, it was a no brainer. I think they’d be wise to incorporate something like the 10 for $10 sale as a regular thing during their BF sale. Even if it was a daily rotation of 10 for $15. I think it drove a lot of traffic to site.

I am absolutely not in to a majority of their titles. But with them breaking into more HK and DTV action titles, I’ve been taking more notice. I think the people behind the brand are incredibly smart and good at what they do. They have an extremely good business mode. They have absolutely tapped into the FOMO collector mentality, but at least what they offer is premium, even if the title itself is likely to be shit. And this is being said by someone who would consider a lot their releases as ripoffs at what they charge.

I like that they offer a subscription (though I’d never do it), I like that they offer two big sales a year. I like that they shut down their site, or do partners only month, and focus on managing the orders and shipments. And whoever writes their copy for the releases really knows how to sell it.

I wish some of the boutiques I really liked followed some of things they were doing.
Agreed on all of this. They've figured it out. I wish some of the smaller boutiques would follow their lead and just stick to, at best, a slipcover and/or booklet option as the non-disc-based bonus. There's only so many tchotchkes I can put up with. VS seems mostly to limit themselves to slipcovers and or sturdy boxes, plus occasional booklets. I probably mentioned elsewhere that Error 4444 included so much crap with their two HK releases (so far) that you can barely close the case, assuming you don't actually stick stickers on things. I understand the whole slipcover bandwagon -- that goes way back -- but a lot of the other stuff really does pander to the FOMO market and only serves to 'justify' exorbitant pricing, especially for schlocky titles that do not justify a $25 - $30 price tag.

I bought 15 titles in the 10 for $10 sale, a mix of VS and partner titles. All were things I easily passed on previously (some of which I've already seen on older editions). As you say, $10 is a no-brainer, especially for those who aren't in to a lot of their stuff. Hell, even for those who are -- like me -- $10 is justifiable where their usual prices, and even some sale prices, tend toward ripoffs. But $10 is a fair price to sample some things, and maybe sell the discs onward at a break-even point, or maybe a profit once they go OOP. It also helps them clear out stock on titles that aren't big sellers, and I'm betting even at $10 they're still making a profit.

A lot of their films are shit, and they know it. The wider trend these days of branding everything as a 'criminally overlooked classic!' is getting to be ludicrous. If you look up probably 80% of their releases on IMDb (or Letterboxd, etc). you'll find very few movies with ratings higher than (generously) a 5.0 out of 10, and mostly less (that's ratings, not reviews, which are often a tough slog through contrarian 1's and 10's). For low- and no-budget exploitation movies, those kinds of ratings usually mean a movie might be worth watching once in my book due to my admittedly low standards , but not paying $20 - $40+ for the privilege. If they decided to make this 10 for $10 sale a regular thing, though, I'd be happy to dabble more often.
Old 01-28-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

From Beyond 4K just shipped. The email landed in my spam folder so you might check there.
Old 01-29-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my shipping email,too, but was in my regular in-box. Can't wait to watch. Hopefully Re-animator isn't far behind.
Old 01-29-23, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Haven't gotten any shipment confirmations yet but I had 3 pre-orders or so, so I figure everything may start to ship out this coming week. Yes, I've also checked my spam folder and nothing yet. Hell, during the Black Friday sale my stuff shipped out 3 weeks after - this new order with with 20+ items is par for the course.
Old 01-30-23, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I placed a couple of orders, all technically pre-orders, and haven't received any shipping notifications yet. I'm not really concerned, but it would have been nice to have them on the way before they drop their next set of titles on Wednesday.
Old 01-31-23, 11:33 AM

I got my shipment notifications yesterday.
Old 01-31-23, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 590 Likes on 409 Posts

I'm a subscriber and received my order yesterday.
Old 01-31-23, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I'm a subscriber and received my order yesterday.
So we can come to you looking to place 50% off orders for us?
Old 01-31-23, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got all my shipping notices.
Old 01-31-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I first got my shipping notice, said delivery on Thursday. Showed up today. No complaints.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.