Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

List of Valuable Blu-rays & DVDs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

List of Valuable Blu-rays & DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: List of Valuable Blu-rays & DVDs

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is this one worth anything anymore? I remember not opening this bc I got the regular 2-disc blu with the one of maybe the best making of docus of medium in states. But back then I was a SteelBook fanatic (as most of u know) and got it for $35 with maybe $5 shipping. Probably not even worth that now. I remember encasing it like that when I still sealed as heard hard to get. Check out the chic Subway napkins I used to secure...
Heh. Didn't Futureshop pull out of america around 20 years ago?

With all that being said. If you really want to know what something is worth for real, put it up for auction on ebay and see what the final bid price it gets.
Old 07-08-20, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I would throw it up for $300 to $500 Buy it now and see what happens and just gradually reduce it as it doesn't sell. See what kind of views and watchers you get.

This one sold for $185 back in April and it was opened and in decent shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-St...wAAOSw5G9d2L6L

I found a few others for sale on eBay besides the stupid $4500 Buy It Now. They were all opened with varying wear and ranged from $100 to $400 (the $400 one was autographed by some of the cast) and were all BINs.
Old 07-08-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy

With all that being said. If you really want to know what something is worth for real, put it up for auction on ebay and see what the final bid price it gets.
That is always risky because you have a limited time frame for the auction and you never know if the right person is eyeing your item at the right time.

I would rather shoot for the stars with a BIN and gradually reduce. That is how I handle all my sales. It can sit there forever if you want.

You could always do an auction with a minimum bid so you get the bare minimum that you want. That is always risky though as you may not sell it if you go too high or you may just get one or two bidders who gets it for your bare minimum.

With BIN, if you have a bunch of watchers and a lot of interest, you will definitely have people sending you private messages giving you offers and asking what you will take for it.

In the end, it always depends on how much money you want to get and how quickly you want to sell it.
Old 07-08-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Future Shop only ever had a limited presence in the United States and withdrew in 1999. However, they continued to operate in Canada until 2015, when their stores were absorbed into Best Buy (which purchased the chain in 2001).

During the early days of the Blu-ray era, Future Shop carried a number of very desirable exclusive SteelBooks. That was frustrating for American collectors, because the store would not ship outside of Canada. I had Canadian friends purchase titles I wanted and mail them to me.

I have the Iron Man SteelBook from Future Shop. Didn't realize it was valuable.

I recently tried to sell a Harry Potter SteelBook that was a Future Shop exclusive and couldn't get anyone to bite on it, even with a low starting price.
Old 07-08-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Future Shop only ever had a limited presence in the United States and withdrew in 1999. However, they continued to operate in Canada until 2015, when their stores were absorbed into Best Buy (which purchased the chain in 2001).

During the early days of the Blu-ray era, Future Shop carried a number of very desirable exclusive SteelBooks. That was frustrating for American collectors, because the store would not ship outside of Canada. I had Canadian friends purchase titles I wanted and mail them to me.

I have the Iron Man SteelBook from Future Shop. Didn't realize it was valuable.

I recently tried to sell a Harry Potter SteelBook that was a Future Shop exclusive and couldn't get anyone to bite on it, even with a low starting price.
I think the "I Am Legend" Blu-ray steelbook from Future Shop was considered the very first Steelbook available in Canada. It used to fetch a few bucks but the Iron Man one seems to be the most valuable right now.
Old 07-08-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would rather shoot for the stars with a BIN and gradually reduce. That is how I handle all my sales. It can sit there forever if you want.
When it comes to ridiculously high "Buy It Now" prices, I don't think the seller is really trying to sell it. I think some guys just use eBay as a means to showcase their collection and if some fool comes along and buys it, so be it.
Old 07-08-20, 07:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So who wants to start the bidding?
I probably wont go through trouble of even listing it, nowadays eBay takes so much anyway. Maybe I will, who knows. Maybe I should give it some air though it’s been cooped up so long. Hope it doesn’t turn to dust.. .

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-09-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Just sell it for what you got it for, maybe $20 higher or something. I started doing that and have been able to unload a lot.
Old 07-08-20, 08:18 PM

20, wa? I’d be losing $.
Old 07-08-20, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
With BIN, if you have a bunch of watchers and a lot of interest, you will definitely have people sending you private messages giving you offers and asking what you will take for it.
It's easier to use the Make Offer feature on eBay. With Make Offer, you can set auto-reject and auto-accept thresholds that can reduce your workload.

For example, you could put an item with your moonshot BIN price of $500, and also activate Make Offer. Set an auto-accept for $450, and an auto-reject at $400. If someone BIN's at $500, yahtzee! If someone offers over $450, it immediately accepts the offer. If someone lowballs you under $400, it immediately rejects the offer. If it's between $400-450, nothing happens automatically, and you can mull the offer like normal.
Old 07-09-20, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think the "I Am Legend" Blu-ray steelbook from Future Shop was considered the very first Steelbook available in Canada. It used to fetch a few bucks but the Iron Man one seems to be the most valuable right now.
I have the I Am Legend SteelBook as well. I think that one plummeted in value when a nearly identical case was later released in the U.S.
Old 07-09-20, 08:39 PM

Anyone have or know this one? I grew up on it and watch it gleefully. Though not in awhile. Wish HD, but this is something. Have to pop it in. Saw some ridiculous $100’s price or something. Again, interesting, but wouldn’t part with...

Old 07-10-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Anyone have or know this one? I grew up on it and watch it gleefully. Though not in awhile. Wish HD, but this is something. Have to pop it in. Saw some ridiculous $100’s price or something. Again, interesting, but wouldn’t part with...

Looks like it still is available in other versions.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Un-Drole-...z-DVD/55370021

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...e-hill/3941986

Watching it now via YouTube. Almost remember seeing it on payTV in 80s.
Old 07-10-20, 01:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Always love some Terence Hill, with or without Bud Spencer. Quite a number of Hill’s films have come out on Blu in Germany and other European regions. I imagine sooner or later some US company will start putting them out. Until then they are fairly easy to see on various streaming platforms such as the aforementioned YouTube.
Old 09-22-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was almost excited as Amazon has this in HD called "Super Snooper". Until I started watching and it is in a dubbed Italian. You can turn on English subtitles though. So odd as only in dubbed Italian.
Old 09-22-20, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Amazon has some very questionable, almost bootleg-looking videos up on its service if you dig around. VUDU seems to play by much different rules, because they don't carry that kind at all.
Old 09-23-20, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon has some very questionable, almost bootleg-looking videos up on its service if you dig around. VUDU seems to play by much different rules, because they don't carry that kind at all.
I have an extensive Amazon Prime Watchlist and I have to check each item first, -some are HD, some are SD, and some are "fullscreen" versions from questionable sources. I was excited to see a lot of Toho films pop up recently, but they're all pan-and-scan or cropped with resolutions that look suspiciously second-generation.
Old 09-23-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Was almost excited as Amazon has this in HD called "Super Snooper". Until I started watching and it is in a dubbed Italian. You can turn on English subtitles though. So odd as only in dubbed Italian.
I have the Italian DVD of this from ages ago, and it (obviously) includes the Italian track as well as the English, which at that time was the only way to get it on disc in both anamorphic widescreen and original English audio. Kinda surprised Amazon couldn't put up an English version, since the whole movie was shot that way. Watching a few minutes of the disc in Italian (no subs, as I recall) was brutal on the eyes because I kept staring at the mouths not matching.
Old 09-23-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I have an extensive Amazon Prime Watchlist and I have to check each item first, -some are HD, some are SD, and some are "fullscreen" versions from questionable sources. I was excited to see a lot of Toho films pop up recently, but they're all pan-and-scan or cropped with resolutions that look suspiciously second-generation.
The Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies on Prime Video are mostly bootleg quality.
Old 09-24-20, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies on Prime Video are mostly bootleg quality.
I noticed that about most of them while Super Snooper (Super Fuzz) was HD yet w/o english audio. Makes me wonder where they got the file.
Old 09-29-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 232 Posts

I am not sure if this title has been mentioned already in this thread but I was looking in a cabinet and noticed the Indicator The Sinbad Trilogy (I almost forgot that I own this set) and decided to look it up on eBay and learned even opened sets in like new condition can sell for $200-300 easy as it is OOP, that was a nice surprise and I plan to keep the set for now.

Also, this one is very recent but the complete Gamera film set from Arrow is now worth a small fortune on eBay (at least $200-325.00+ for the set, even used copies have a high resale value).