Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 08:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Can I get anything for blu? Worth holding onto?
Old 05-27-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Completed eBay auctions for used copies are all over the place, but the recent range seems to be from $25-$40.
Old 05-27-20, 10:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
you know i ain't getting rid of my 3D, so until a 4K with 3D comes out, which is never, it's 1080p and 3D or die. and i'm totally fine with that...
Or if your 3D TV dies, then you may have to be okay with going 4K.
Old 05-27-20, 10:24 PM

I dunno, I may have to buy used for first time in life. But if nothing, then yes, I will have to suck it up and choose higher quality over my gorgeous 3D. Don’t know what I’ll do with almost 200 strong 3Ds...

But I do know where the new Dawn set will go. Either in place of The Fly collection or next to DVDs which I may give to friend anyway...

Old 05-27-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Completed eBay auctions for used copies are all over the place, but the recent range seems to be from $25-$40.
I sold my NM copy for $20 last year. I figured it was common knowledge that SS had it and could announce it at any moment, which would have meant a flood of used copies hitting the auctions. I probably could have held out for more. I got a frantic email from the buyer after he paid worrying that the disc was all scratched up and I hadn't disclosed it. It took me a while to figure out he was looking for an angle as to why I'd let it go as cheap as I did. He was happy, I was happy...that's all that matters.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Looks like those hoping to pick this up from amazon.co.uk are up shit creek. They aren’t shipping it to the US.
Old 05-28-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if they were now, should/if/when a second wave hits in the fall they could suspend shipments at that time again anyway.

The surest way to get this in the states will almost certainly be by paying a premium for it at Diabolik.
Old 05-28-20, 03:46 PM

I’m not sure this is covid related. They’re shipping other things over here. This is unavailable for some reason.
Old 05-28-20, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I’m not sure this is covid related. They’re shipping other things over here. This is unavailable for some reason.
yeah, i got 2 things from them in past week actually.
Old 05-28-20, 04:04 PM

Looks like those hoping to pick this up from amazon.co.uk are up shit creek. They aren’t shipping it to the US.
Base is cheaper with price and shipping anyway. Amazon shipping probably would have been at least $6 USD...
Old 06-02-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Those planning on getting it through DiabolikDVD, they just posted this on their Facebook page...

The UK Dawn of the Dead has really turned into an enigma for us. I won't go into any specifics about why we are making this decision but we are only taking preorders today and tomorrow. After that we won't have anymore to sell or save. It is possible we have plenty when October comes and we can offer more to sell but if you want to lock in your order, please do so now. Although it does say this on the product page, here is a reminder that we take payment now and we don't offer cancellations on preorders
https://www.diabolikdvd.com/?s=dawn+...1Tw4p7ERjU629Q
Old 06-02-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

It is really difficult for me to justify spending $100+ on just one movie, multiple cuts aside, but I just know I will. Leaning toward Diabolik so I better act quick if I want to get it from there on release.
Old 06-02-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Those planning on getting it through DiabolikDVD, they just posted this on their Facebook page...
Disappointing for someone on the fence about this release. Their price is only slightly better than Zavvi, but the likelihood of them shipping in a decently protective box rather than a padded envelope is probably much better. However, charging up front with no ability to cancel a preorder is problematic for me. I'd still prefer a streamlined release without the big box o' junk, and would like to be able to cancel the preorder if such a thing gets announced in the meantime.
TomOpus (06-02-20)
Old 06-02-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'd still prefer a streamlined release without the big box o' junk, and would like to be able to cancel the preorder if such a thing gets announced in the meantime.
I feel pretty confident about this happening, but I don't know when it would happen and what the other trade-offs might be...if they might not offer as many different cuts of the movie, for instance. I guess I'll find out if base.com doesn't come through!
Old 06-02-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Disappointing for someone on the fence about this release. Their price is only slightly better than Zavvi, but the likelihood of them shipping in a decently protective box rather than a padded envelope is probably much better. However, charging up front with no ability to cancel a preorder is problematic for me. I'd still prefer a streamlined release without the big box o' junk, and would like to be able to cancel the preorder if such a thing gets announced in the meantime.
It does feel like we're getting strong armed a bit. Like you, I'd prefer a release with just the discs. Maybe that will happen, maybe it won't. Naturally, Second Sight is staying quiet and counting the preorders.
Old 06-02-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to get this set. I actually want all the swag that comes with it, just as much as I want a high grade presentation of the film itself.

I've made the decision to hold the liine at the Base cost ($74-$84- depending on exchange rate in Oct). If Base somehow can't come through, it wasn't meant to be- because I can no longer afford to pay $100 for a single movie.
Old 06-02-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I feel pretty confident about this happening, but I don't know when it would happen and what the other trade-offs might be...if they might not offer as many different cuts of the movie, for instance. I guess I'll find out if base.com doesn't come through!
The possibility that a future streamlined release might not include all three cuts of the film is one of my biggest worries.
Old 06-02-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I totally agree. Back in my collecting days, I would've jumped on this release. Nowadays, not jumping so quick.
Old 06-02-20, 04:51 PM

You guys got me worried about the Zavvi packaging. If it really is just a padded mailer this thing will get destroyed on its way here.
Old 06-02-20, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I totally agree. Back in my collecting days, I would've jumped on this release. Nowadays, not jumping so quick.
I skip these days, but I skipped to get this one fast. Childhood fave of mine.
Old 06-02-20, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with Base? I pre ordered through them, not knowing anything about them.
Old 06-03-20, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Dawn is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I'm in the same boat that would prefer a version without the CDs and books for cheaper. Especially after I already bought that Italian 4K set for about $30 and never even got around to watching it.
But I bit the bullet and pre-ordered through Base just to be safe. FWIW it's easy to cancel through Base, at first I ordered with a card that charged a foreign exchange fee and didn't see a way to change the card after placing the order, so I easily canceled and re-ordered it with a different card.
Old 06-03-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys got me worried about the Zavvi packaging. If it really is just a padded mailer this thing will get destroyed on its way here.
I recently ordered the UK Blu-ray box set for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex from Zavvi and they indeed sent it in a padded envelope. The box is approximately the same size as the Back to the Future Trilogy or Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection Blu-rays, to compare it against a couple others on my shelf. I was very lucky that it arrived without being destroyed, though one of the corners is a little crushed. That was just a couple weeks ago, so they're still actively doing this.

From the photos, the Dawn of the Dead set looks to be much larger. If we're lucky, it may be too large to fit into a padded envelope and they may have no choice but to ship it in a larger box. That's what I'm hoping for.

The padded envelope thing with Zavvi is very frustrating. The odd thing is that I've ordered many SteelBooks from Zavvi and never had a problem. They ship those in special mailer boxes that protect the SteelBooks well enough. Yet larger and potentially more fragile items go in padded envelopes.
Old 06-03-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Dawn is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I'm in the same boat that would prefer a version without the CDs and books for cheaper.
The CDs are what is attracting me to this set...but I am a movie score kinda guy.
Darth Maher (11-05-20)
Old 06-04-20, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The CDs are what is attracting me to this set...but I am a movie score kinda guy.
I get that, I'm sure it's a really cool feature for a lot of people, but I doubt I'll ever listen to the CDs. I'm sure I'll at least skim through the book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.