Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Old 02-08-19, 09:43 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSecondSightFilms%2Fposts%2F1400322620102167&width=500" width="500" height="661" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

GEORGE A ROMERO’S DAWN OF THE DEAD is coming to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray in the UK and will feature ’Theatrical’, ‘Cannes’ and ‘Argento’ cuts!! We will also be releasing on standard Blu-ray together with our Blu-ray release of MARTIN. Many thanks to producer Richard P Rubinstein for allowing us access to the original elements, which includes the original camera negative for Dawn and dupe negative for Martin. New 4K scans are underway at Final Frame in New York which will be followed by grading and extensive restoration supervised by DP Michael Gornick. It will then be over to David Mackenzie at Fidelity in Motion for mastering and encoding. Currently slated for a late summer release, more news to follow….
UK Label. http://www.secondsightfilms.co.uk/

4K discs are region free, so this is great news. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.
Old 02-08-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

This is such amazing and unexpected news. I knew this release was on the way but I figured it'd just be the Argento cut in 4K.
Old 02-08-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Such great news! Been hearing chatter about this release on other Message Boards.

I still have my Arrow BD as well as the Ultimate Edition DVD Released by Anchor Bay, so it'll be nice to hopefully unload one of those.
Old 02-08-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I wonder if this will be a 4K/Blu-ray combo set. I don’t have a 4K tv or player yet. I have the now out of print Anchor Bay Blu-ray of the film right now but this sounds like a nice upgrade. Might still grab it either way just to have for when I eventually upgrade in case it goes out of print.
Old 02-08-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope Second Sight "forgets" to region code the regular Blu Rays. Haven't updated to 4k yet but it would be a great reason to buy this set before I do.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 02-08-19 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

This might get me to finally swap out my plasma for 4K.
Old 02-08-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I'll remind people that UHD has no region coding.
Old 02-08-19, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

holy fuck. one of fav of all-time. have the old incarnation blu (which for some odd reason is selling for $170 on Amazon) and i don't know how many incarnations of it. that big one with multiple cuts, i think on dvd though. i'll take this in a heartbeat. please someone tell me when this is up for preorder at Amazon!

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-08-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
have the old incarnation blu (which for some odd reason is selling for $170 on Amazon)
The prices have been a bit nutty on this film because the film is out of print.

If I'm not mistaken (Producer) Richard P. Rubinstein who owns the rights has had a stranglehold on the distribution of the film.

Then again the guy spent a whole lot of money on that shit 3-D Converted Version that he was trying to shop around.

Old 02-08-19, 09:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I’m sure it’s gonna plummet now that this is coming out. Probably within days, no?
Old 02-09-19, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’m sure it’s gonna plummet now that this is coming out. Probably within days, no?
Yeah... I don’t know. It’s not a domsetic release, and the included blu-ray might not be region free. I wouldn’t expect the price of the Anchor Bay blu-ray to crater yet.
Old 02-09-19, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Gonna be holding onto my 4 disc Ultimate Edition dvd until the bitter end. I've gotten so many miles out of that set. This thing is gonna have to be pretty spectacular for me to get rid of it. Which isn't a guarantee. I never thought I'd still have my Terminator 2 dvd as my go to in 2019 either, but here we are.
Old 02-09-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Awesome news that I'm happy to hear about, but now I feel silly for importing that 4K Argento set from Italy last year that I haven't even gotten around to watching.
Old 02-09-19, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

There already is a 4k BD set (Argento in 4k, other in normal BD). 4K disc is region free.

I assume this will be exactly the same scenario.
Old 02-09-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Gonna be holding onto my 4 disc Ultimate Edition dvd until the bitter end. I've gotten so many miles out of that set. This thing is gonna have to be pretty spectacular for me to get rid of it. Which isn't a guarantee. I never thought I'd still have my Terminator 2 dvd as my go to in 2019 either, but here we are.
I’ll never get ride of my Ultimate Edition either, because it’s signed by Romero and Foree. But I may upgrade my viewing copy at some point.
Old 02-09-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I assume this will be exactly the same scenario.
That they're going back to the original camera negative dispels that. The 4K Argento cut was sourced from an IP and doesn't exist as a cut negative.
Old 02-09-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new mastering for BD is fine, but I just don't know about this film in 4k UHD.
I am a huge fan of this movie (and the reboot by Snyder) can see some possible reasons why it may not be to the better.
Will the added resolution reveal too much cheesiness of the zombies or the props, or the sets?
Will the UHD reveal the blood to be not convincing when compared to modern movies?
The good news is it WAS shot on 35mm, which means there is potential for nice video, although the audio quality may not be able to match it.

In any event, it's hard to say how this release will turn out...I'll wait for some reviews before shelling out the bucks for it.
Old 02-10-19, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
A new mastering for BD is fine, but I just don't know about this film in 4k UHD.
I am a huge fan of this movie (and the reboot by Snyder) can see some possible reasons why it may not be to the better.
Will the added resolution reveal too much cheesiness of the zombies or the props, or the sets?
Will the UHD reveal the blood to be not convincing when compared to modern movies?
The good news is it WAS shot on 35mm, which means there is potential for nice video, although the audio quality may not be able to match it.

In any event, it's hard to say how this release will turn out...I'll wait for some reviews before shelling out the bucks for it.
The current 4K UHD isn't bad. The film always has a comic book-y feel to it. I recently watched the Extended Mall Hours cut and...wow. Really makes the film drag. I think I'll also prefer the Theatrical cut as that's what I initially saw back in 91 or so on HBO.
Old 02-11-19, 03:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Even though I imported the existing UHD, I'll probably still pick this up on release.
Old 02-11-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compared to the BD, how does it resolve grain?
Old 02-11-19, 07:20 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Hanging on to mine as well...
Old 02-12-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I've barely watched my Ultimate DVD set as it is. I'm glad this is getting the upgrade it deserves, but the old set will hold me over for now.
Old 02-16-19, 11:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Found a pre-order link for one version of this on amazon.fr. Here's the art:

https://www.amazon.fr/Zombie-Dawn-De.../dp/B07N3RHGTP
Old 02-16-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

The Argento cut of this has always run a distant third for me compared to the theatrical and director's cuts, so I've never really been tempted by any of the already available imports.
Plus, I always though the AB blu was fine, if less than perfect.

Since I will continue to keep the exceptional AB DVD set, I'll be putting the blu up on ebay when I have a chance in March. I loved the job SS did with The Changeling, so I'll trust them when it comes to DotD.
Even if they somehow botch up one or all of the cuts, the DVD set is still quite watchable for as often as I dip into these days (which is pretty much never).

If anyone here still wants the AB blu, shoot me a PM.
Old 02-16-19, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance this might get a domestic release? If the AB Blu and / or the 4-disc DVD sets go down to a reasonable price I may jump on those while I wait for a domestic release of the 4K.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.