HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 07-25-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Batman Hush steelbook for the low low price of $23. I'm so glad I stopped collecting every one of those

https://www.target.com/p/batman--hus...-/-/A-76612678
Old 07-25-19, 08:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Batman Hush steelbook for the low low price of $23. I'm so glad I stopped collecting every one of those

Save your money. A weaker entry imo. Wait to stream somehow. Itís a romance for god sake. Weak villain, weak twist.
Old 07-25-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i thought Batman: Hush was ok. nothing great.
The actual story has many twists and turns. This is like a cliffnotes version with just the highlights. It's okay but if they gave it the same treatment as TDKR I think it would have been a way better movie. Just so much missing....
Old 07-26-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
The actual story has many twists and turns. This is like a cliffnotes version with just the highlights. It's okay but if they gave it the same treatment as TDKR I think it would have been a way better movie. Just so much missing....
It's also a big problem that they did this AFTER Under the Red Hood.
Old 08-05-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disappointing to hear that Hush isn't getting the best of reviews. I was really looking forward to it as it's one of my favorite Batman stories. It really should have been a two parter in my opinion. Regardless I'm going to grab the Target exclusive Steelbook tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's also a big problem that they did this AFTER Under the Red Hood.
Yeah, that was a weird one to choose to adapt so early on. Although that still is one of the better DCAU entries to date.
Old 08-05-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Batman Hush, but idk what it was like in the comics.
Old 08-06-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post

It's available now for in-store pick up and on sale for $19.99

Old 08-06-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking Target. I go to pick up the Hush Steelbook today. The app shows itís in stock at my store but itís not out on the shelf. I go to ask one of the employees if it hadnít been stocked for some reason. The guy tells me they have it, but pulled it because their system wonít let them sell it until the 13th for some reason. Thereís a shelf tag for it and itís in the weekly ad and is available for purchase online. So he directs me to try buying online. I wanted to have it and watch it today since Iím off work. Plus on top of that why would I want to buy it online and have to pay an extra $6 for shipping when they have the damn thing but just wonít sell it? Guess Iíll be going for the regular version at Walmart. Annoying.

Edit: wondering if thereís some kind of screw up with this release in general. It wasnít stocked at Walmart either. Didnít even see a shelf spot for it. Weirdly Amazon shows it as in stock and is available to ship now.

Guess Iím waiting, or could watch it on DC Universe I suppose. I planned to buy this one though as itís a personal favorite Batman story and Iíve been looking forward to it.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-06-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's available now for in-store pick up and on sale for $19.99

Pretty much.

I get paid Friday. Iíll swing by Target after work. If thereís a steel book Iíll grab one, if not, oh well.
Old 08-06-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Fucking Target. I go to pick up the Hush Steelbook today. The app shows itís in stock at my store but itís not out on the shelf. I go to ask one of the employees if it hadnít been stocked for some reason. The guy tells me they have it, but pulled it because their system wonít let them sell it until the 13th for some reason. Thereís a shelf tag for it and itís in the weekly ad and is available for purchase online. So he directs me to try buying online. I wanted to have it and watch it today since Iím off work. Plus on top of that why would I want to buy it online and have to pay an extra $6 for shipping when they have the damn thing but just wonít sell it? Guess Iíll be going for the regular version at Walmart. Annoying.

Edit: wondering if thereís some kind of screw up with this release in general. It wasnít stocked at Walmart either. Didnít even see a shelf spot for it. Weirdly Amazon shows it as in stock and is available to ship now.

Guess Iím waiting, or could watch it on DC Universe I suppose. I planned to buy this one though as itís a personal favorite Batman story and Iíve been looking forward to it.
It's definitely in stock at Target. I picked it up this morning Buy it online for in store pickup. You can buy it now and pick it up at the counter any time this week
Old 08-06-19, 10:04 PM

Yeah, Hush was a forgettable disappointment. Ninja Turtles way better.
Old 08-06-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's definitely in stock at Target. I picked it up this morning Buy it online for in store pickup. You can buy it now and pick it up at the counter any time this week
It wasnít at mine locally. I donít know what the deal was. I might try back later in the week.
Old 08-06-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got there at opening, as I do every DC steelbook Tuesday, and had no problem getting one at my Target.
Old 08-07-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s almost like a remake of the first movie...
Old 08-07-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's sooo nice hopping off the DC steelbook train. I requested Hush at the library. I haven't revisited a lot of these DC movies, and this one sounds like it's in the lower tier.

I did end up picking up the TMNT one though (even though they skipped the steelbook on that one for some reason), and it was just as enjoyable the second time watching it.
Old 08-07-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't really understand why these movies are still using the new 52 designs. They can't have been in development that long, can they? Not to mention that that WW costume is terrible.
Old 08-07-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I don't really understand why these movies are still using the new 52 designs. They can't have been in development that long, can they? Not to mention that that WW costume is terrible.
It saves them money. They can reuse the same character designs over and over again between movies. The animated movie team made a decision years ago to stick to a pseudo-New 52 continuity. Obviously a mistake in hindsight, but they initially wanted to adapt the big arcs from the New 52 which were eventually supposed to be made into live-action movies.
Old 08-07-19, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
https://youtu.be/000aP84lPy8

Itís almost like a remake of the first movie...
seems it's just the beginning bc the crooks knew who she was when she was in the world, so i think still further in story (hopefully). the first was magic to me and i don't think this will capture that, but i have high hopes...
Old 08-07-19, 07:56 PM

I really don't understand the purpose of this film. Why re-tell her origin again? Why don't they do War of the Gods instead? Or do the Legion of Super Heroes Great Darkness Saga story?
Old 08-07-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
seems it's just the beginning bc the crooks knew who she was when she was in the world, so i think still further in story (hopefully). the first was magic to me and i don't think this will capture that, but i have high hopes...
Yeah, I think it maybe goes over her origin briefly and then fast forwards, because that single clip has a ton of her rogues gallery. Or this could just be a jumbled mess where they just throw everything at the wall.

If they want to reuse the character designs, fine, but why not go for a unified universe (I know I argued this before). It makes no sense to go from something like the Fatal Five movie with a completely different style to this one, then back.
Old 08-17-19, 07:58 PM

Just saw Hush and man the twist at the end was fucking ridiculous. The Hush storyline is a modern classic that reinvigorated the character and brought back the idea of Jason Todd. Instead we get that stupid twist that would be akin as Doomsday revealing himself at the end to be Mister Mxyzptlk. But again, this is the big problem with these guys adapting some of these stories to animated films. They want everything to fit in under 90 minutes and Hush isn't like that.
Old 08-17-19, 08:01 PM

Oh, by the way, both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill wanted to voice Batman and the Joker respectively for Batman: Hush but since this film is part of the stupid New 52verse they went back with Jason O'Mara as Batman and a real unknown as Joker.
Old 08-17-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, they didn't add anything to the terrible Batman: The Killing Joke and this story, the relationship between Batman and Catwoman aside, wasn't very good...

Last edited by TheMovieman; 08-17-19 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is that her new costume? If so, it's beyond awful looking.
Old 08-20-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Is that her new costume? If so, it's beyond awful looking.
That's her new 52 costume, which at this point is super outdated. I wonder if at the end it doesn't update to something closer to cinematic WW though.