Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 08-02-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

I am going to check the two stores out near me later this morning and if I score an extra one, I will post here.

My closest store says out of stock on the website and the other one said it was available for pick-up. I ordered one (didn't want to press my luck with two) but will look for some others when I pick the one up (if it actually gets to me). I have this feeling they just placed a regular one and not a steelbook for me to pick up.
Old 08-02-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Out of stock already at my local store.
Old 08-02-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I buzzed the store and told them about how the in store pickup fell through. The lady didn't seem to know what a steelbook was (what a shocker there), but was able to pull it up using the DPCI. She said they didn't have them out on the floor yet, but would hold me a copy since I originally tried to do the store pickup option. Hopefully they don't fuck this up, but I won't be able to find out until later today.
Old 08-02-16, 10:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Any reviews anywhere for the disc of The Killing Joke? Would like to know what else is on it...
Old 08-02-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confirm that showing out of stock online may have nothing to do with in store availability. Unless of course some store clerk was supposed to hold some back for the online pickup orders and failed to do so.
Old 08-02-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Success. I got one for me and one extra for a regular to this thread. Let's see how this plays out. My local store had lots of copies on the shelf this morning (8 I think). Please do not PM me requests. If Spider bite and Old boy are set, I will send it to someone else here.
Old 08-02-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Success. I got one for me and one extra for a regular to this thread. Let's see how this plays out. My local store had lots of copies on the shelf this morning (8 I think). Please do not PM me requests. If Spider bite and Old boy are set, I will send it to someone else here.
About to go in a few minutes...I will pick up two if two are available (I just hope one is, no offense)....*sigh* *fingers crossed*, off I go.
Old 08-02-16, 11:19 AM

well, i got one. i think that is. i did in-store pickup and its ready. first time i have ever done this. thing is...it wasn't available for pickup on my computer (said it was out of stock), but it was available on my phone so i processed it through that. not sure why that would be, but whatever. probably won't be able to get there till later or most likely tomorrow to actually see.

thanks Deck for keep me in mind!
Old 08-02-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My store is also stocked. I'll pick up two or three just in case anyone needs one as well. If not, I can always return it.
Old 08-02-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

My store had two copies (besides the one I bought) when I went around 11:30.
Old 08-02-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Decker. I am good and actually scored a second one for a regular here as well. I only went by the one store that I was able to do the pick-up at and they had one other copy on the shelf.

I agree with Decker and let's see who is able to get one (or two) here and who was not able to score one.
Old 08-02-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp, went to the Eldridge and Westheimer location on the way out to Katy and that was a negative. I didn't even wait around to ask anybody since the standard blus were already out. So off to Katy I went, to the Westheimer Pkwy @ 99 location. At first glance, it looked like they also had none. Worker guy was no help and was just all "I guess we are sold out". As he is talking (I have no idea what he was saying so don't quote me), I'm looking through each one just in case. In the middle was a steelbook, "Oh guess we have one". I grabbed it, and then kept looking...found a second one (also in the middle). I put my hands on it and big ole boy said, "Oh target policy, you can only buy one." Alright, if you actually enforce that, fine...I put it back. So I left it in front so somebody doesn't have to search for it. So, as of 11:50am, Westheimer Pkwy @ 99 had still one copy provided big ole boy didn't grab it for himself. But at least I have my copy, yeahie . Then grabbed a couple of things for my wife and son and left...got back to work by 12:30. Success. (Sorry, I didn't get another copy but it seems like people are actually finding this one)
Old 08-02-16, 12:53 PM

picked it up no problem. that was easy.
Old 08-02-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noted before that many times the steelbooks are mixed in the middle all the regular copies. Seems like there are still indeed some stock clerks that don't recognize these as unique, and separate them, even though they often have a separate spot on the shelves where they are supposed to go.
Old 08-02-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch, 2/5. It also has a 50% on RT. That's a little disappointing

The original graphic novel may be a classic, but the animated film is a disappointment. Unless you want the extras, rent or stream.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman...142145/#Review

Last edited by mattysemo247; 08-02-16 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a long morning of kids, and traffic. We got to a Target around 1130. Had 2 left. Picked up the better one, the other had the typical Target slice. No display just thrown on new release shelf.

Also went a Walmart. They had a huge display of it, was a buck more there.

How many steels are there in total. This is my 3rd, these have been the hardest things to find. Have Killing Joke, Son of Batman, Batman vs Robin.

Last edited by banthafett; 08-02-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Already posted my thoughts in the thread in Movie Talk about The Killing Joke but figured I'd repeat them here too:

Just finished this. I honestly don't understand the complaints people have with this. The Barbara/Batgirl stuff at the beginning isn't that bad at all. I pretty much took it as the writers giving her some set up before the main story kicks in and she gets shot. The sex scene isn't that bad either as its not seen and it happens out of passion from her. She's frustrated with Bruce/Batman but at the same time admires him and has an interest in him. I took it more as she was infatuated with him and gave into her desires. As far as getting to the main story I just read it last week in preparation and its almost literally recreating the comic panel for panel. I think it's one of the best adaptations ever done in this style.
Old 08-02-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett

How many steels are there in total. This is my 3rd, these have been the hardest things to find. Have Killing Joke, Son of Batman, Batman vs Robin.
This is #10 for Target. I started collecting with #5 on the list, so I'm only 6/10

1 : Justice League War
2: Son of Batman
3: Batman : Assault on Arkham
4: Justice League Throne of Atlantis
5: Batman vs Robin
6: The Dark Knight Returns - Deluxe
7: Justice League Gods & Monsters
8: Batman Bad Blood
9: Justice League vs Teen Titans
10: Batman : The Killing Joke

I hope I get the rest of the year off before another on these wild goose chases (though this was WAY better than previous ones)

edit : Nope, Justice League Dark comes out in the Fall. These are quarterly releases now.

Last edited by Decker; 08-02-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Thanks for that list. I was thinking there were more. Returns was the one I wanted most that I missed.
Old 08-02-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

This is #10 for Target. I started collecting with #5 on the list, so I'm only 6/10

1 : Justice League War
2: Son of Batman
3: Batman : Assault on Arkham
4: Justice League Throne of Atlantis
5: Batman vs Robin
6: The Dark Knight Returns - Deluxe
7: Justice League Gods & Monsters
8: Batman Bad Blood
9: Justice League vs Teen Titans
10: Batman : The Killing Joke
I've managed to acquire all 10. I only had to resort to eBay for two of them and luckily it just so happened that someone was selling a combo of the two I needed for a fairly decent (by eBay standards) price.

Judging from eBay it looks like The Dark Knight Returns is the highest valued of the bunch although I had the most trouble finding Bad Blood and Teen Titans in stores.

There were 10 steelbooks at my local Target this morning. I look forward to watching it this weekend. I never read the graphic novel so I won't notice any additions that other have.
Old 08-03-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dark Knight Returns is the only one I'm missing. I was being stubborn on double dipping since I had already picked up the original releases. So if anyone wants to let a copy go at a reasonable price, hit me up
Old 08-03-16, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike86
Already posted my thoughts in the thread in Movie Talk about The Killing Joke but figured I'd repeat them here too:

Just finished this. I honestly don't understand the complaints people have with this. The Barbara/Batgirl stuff at the beginning isn't that bad at all. I pretty much took it as the writers giving her some set up before the main story kicks in and she gets shot. The sex scene isn't that bad either as its not seen and it happens out of passion from her. She's frustrated with Bruce/Batman but at the same time admires him and has an interest in him. I took it more as she was infatuated with him and gave into her desires. As far as getting to the main story I just read it last week in preparation and its almost literally recreating the comic panel for panel. I think it's one of the best adaptations ever done in this style.
Have to agree with you. Watched it last night, I enjoyed it. If they didn't add anything, think about how short it would have been, not to sure of the running time as it is, but it seemed short anyways.

This may be the DCfanboy in me, but it seems no matter what they do, people are automatically going to shit on them. Its the cool thing to do. If Marvel did the same thing(have they made any animated movies from loved books, hell do they even have books like TDKR, KJ and so on?) and expanded a story that made sense and to make a longer movie people would be fingering their assholes and saying its the greatest thing ever.
Old 08-03-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People like the DCAU for the most part. It's the live action films that have been catching shit (rightfully so). The thing about the added Barbara/Batgirl stuff is not only did it add length but it added some depth to the character that's not in the graphic novel. If you know little about her before reading the original story she gets shot and violated by The Joker and that's pretty much that. At least here we get some aspects of her character on show and I don't think it's disrespectful to the character. She has sex with Bruce but it's something that she wants its not like he forces himself on her or something.
Old 08-03-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So did every regular here get a steelbook that wanted one? It appears that way but just wanted to make certain.
Old 08-03-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
Have to agree with you. Watched it last night, I enjoyed it. If they didn't add anything, think about how short it would have been, not to sure of the running time as it is, but it seemed short anyways.

This may be the DCfanboy in me, but it seems no matter what they do, people are automatically going to shit on them. Its the cool thing to do. If Marvel did the same thing(have they made any animated movies from loved books, hell do they even have books like TDKR, KJ and so on?) and expanded a story that made sense and to make a longer movie people would be fingering their assholes and saying its the greatest thing ever.
People crap on Marvel animated stuff all the time. But if they came out with some expanded X men story where Wolverine sleeps with Kitty, or Prof X sleeps with a young Jean Grey, and then the latter dies, I think you'd see similar issues. It's not always about DC vs Marvel.

If they actually do Judas Contract correctly, there will be a similar element there and I doubt many (who are familiar with the story) will object.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.