Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

I think if they started the movie when Batman was at the warehouse and where they basically introduced all the characters in the first few minutes would have been fine. Plus, cutting out the end credit scene would have made the cartoon more in line with the actual comic. I wouldn't have minded the shorter running time.
Old 08-17-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Adam West, Burt Ward, And Julie Newmar To Voice New Animated ‘Batman’ Film

Does the back-to-back grittiness of the Nolan films, ‘Batman v. Superman’, and ‘The Killing Joke’ make your Batfan heart pine for lighter days? Then you’re in luck, because the latest Batman animated film has been announced, and it’s sure to delight old-school Batfans. It will be called ‘Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders‘, and it will star none other than Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar! This announcement, as well as the first teaser, come to us courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

We hear West and Ward back in action as the Dynamic Duo, up to their typical peril and beloved puns. We also get a tease for the plot to come – much like ‘Batman: The Movie’, this film will see our heroes up against some of their most iconic villains, including the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, and Newmar’s Catwoman. The teaser also reveals the cover and the film’s release dates – Digital HD on October 11th, and Blu-ray on November 1st. Even in the short teaser, this feels very much in-line with the ’66 TV show, and I have to admit, it feels refreshing. It feels like we’ve been taking Batman so seriously lately, but between this and ‘The Lego Batman Movie’, it feels like we’re finally allowed to have fun with the Caped Crusader again.

‘Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders’ stars Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar. It will be available on Digital HD October 11th and on Blu-ray November 1. Holy excitement, Batfans!
http://heroichollywood.com/adam-west...-batman-movie/
Old 08-17-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Batman should be taken seriously. While the TV show was funny at times, but that level of humor gets old very, very fast. If done well it could work given the usual short run times of these animated "movies".
Old 08-17-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I stand by the pronouncement that the '66 Batman remains the best live-action Batman ever
Old 08-17-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I wonder if I'll be able to take Batman's voice seriously when all I can think about is Mayor West from Family Guy.
Old 08-17-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Saw the teaser today and what little there was was pretty bad. It sounded like Adam West was struggling.
Old 08-17-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

West's voice at least sounds pretty similar to what it did. Ward's sounds a lot different which will be weird to hear the whole film I think. Still excited to see it though.
Old 08-18-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

A '66 Batman movie would have made a lot more sense a decade ago when Adam West was still in great shape.
Old 08-19-16, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Batman should be taken seriously. While the TV show was funny at times, but that level of humor gets old very, very fast. If done well it could work given the usual short run times of these animated "movies".
I'm not a tremendous fan of the 66 show; a little bit of camp goes a long way, and even in 20 minute doses, I find it a little much.

That said, I've met plenty of Batfans who love the hell out of it and consider West their favorite incarnations of the Caped Crusader.

I'm a post-Crisis child of Bruce Timm, I'll always prefer my Batman dark, brooding, and hunch over gargoyles, but there's room for everything .
Old 08-19-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not a tremendous fan of the 66 show; a little bit of camp goes a long way, and even in 20 minute doses, I find it a little much.

That said, I've met plenty of Batfans who love the hell out of it and consider West their favorite incarnations of the Caped Crusader.

I'm a post-Crisis child of Bruce Timm, I'll always prefer my Batman dark, brooding, and hunch over gargoyles, but there's room for everything .
I thought the series was funny but always knew that wasn't the version in the comics. This issue of Detective in 1970 was when DC bought back the dark gritty version of Batman. Bruce Timm just bought it into the mainstream.

I'm sort of wondering why it wasn't adapted in TAS when they adapted other O'Neil/Adams stories. It's a really good Batman story.
Old 08-19-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As kid first getting into comics, and watching the Batmen TV show in syndication, I always thought it was totally lame how the show was nothing like the comics. Most of the stories in the comics were meant to be taken seriously and had some weight to them. Not filled with low brow comedy and Rated G level sexual innuendo
Old 08-19-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Clearly some people need to read more Silver Age Batman. The 66 series is a perfect representation of the character for the times. It seems cheesy now and it sort of is, but that's more or less how the comics of the time were too.
Old 08-19-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Clearly some people need to read more Silver Age Batman. The 66 series is a perfect representation of the character for the times. It seems cheesy now and it sort of is, but that's more or less how the comics of the time were too.
Got an example of a book that is as campy and low brow as the show?
Old 08-19-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yup. The comics have been cheesy since the 50's with all the Sci-fi adventures and then when the 60's came along they pretty much copied the TV series. Like I posted earlier; Detective 395 was the return of the original Batman from the 40's. Prior to that issue, Neal Adams would only draw the Batman at night in Brave and the Bold. It was sort of a prelude of where the Batman was headed. Batman never went out in the daylight.
Old 08-19-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got an example of a book that is as campy and low brow as the show?

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Sixtie...+in+the+60%27s
Old 08-19-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Turns out I needed to state that it needed to be a comic that wasn't influenced by the show. Of course there were many books that followed the tone of the show that people were used to when it was on. Thought it was obvious, but I guess not.

I watched the show as a kid and enjoyed it. Even had me the large version of the Batmobile and the figures that went with it. But at the time that was all you could buy if you wanted something Batman related.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-19-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-19-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Turns out I needed just to state that it needed to be comic that wasn't influenced by the show. Of course there were many books that followed the tone of the show that people were used to when it was on. Thought it was obvious, but I guess not.

I watched the show as a kid and enjoyed it. Even had me the large version of the Batmobile and the figures that went with it. But at the time that was all you could buy if you wanted something Batman related.
mrhan also mentioned that the '50s were a campy era.

You said you watched the show in syndication so that's why it didn't match the comics of that time.
Old 08-19-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
You said you watched the show in syndication so that's why it didn't match the comics of that time.
Nor the comics that preceded it. I had many of the older comics that I had got through multiple times before watching the show and wondering where the show version of Batman came from.
Old 08-19-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course there were many books that followed the tone of the show that people were used to when it was on. Thought it was obvious, but I guess not.
I had many of the older comics that I had got through multiple times before watching the show and wondering where the show version of Batman came from.
You distinctly asked "Got an example of a book that is as campy and low brow as the show?" I don't how else to decipher that. I gave you a link. As stated by David you said you watched the show in syndication. By then the comics went back to their roots so it didn't match the reruns. The premise of the TV show was created to be totally different from what was running in the comics before the show started in 1966.
Old 08-19-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
You distinctly asked "Got an example of a book that is as campy and low brow as the show?" I don't how else to decipher that. I gave you a link.
And again...

Turns out I needed to state that it needed to be a comic that wasn't influenced by the show. Of course there were many books that followed the tone of the show that people were used to when it was on. Thought it was obvious, but I guess not.
So let me put it differently. If somebody can link me to one of the comics that preceded the show, but had the same tone as the show, I would love to see it. Because everything I read from the era preceding the show was the same as those that eventually came after. No camp, no idiot villains, no groan inducing G rated sexual innuendo.
Old 08-19-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And again...

So let me put it differently. If somebody can link me to one of the comics that preceded the show, but had the same tone as the show, I would love to see it. Because everything I read from the era preceding the show was the same as those that eventually came after. No camp, no idiot villains, no groan inducing G rated sexual innuendo.
As I stated earlier "The premise of the TV show was created to be totally different from what was running in the comics before the show started in 1966."

The closest thing would be the campy 50's sci-fi stories which David and me already mentioned. Also, you mentioned the same tone---how would that be without the campy aspect?
Old 08-19-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Batman comics were most campy in the 50s, though it was completely G-rated camp aimed at children. By the 60s, comic book audiences were beginning to grow up into an older teen audience.

The television show is really its own thing. It had more to do with Hollywood camp than anything from the Batman comics of the day. I'm not sure its writers were even paying attention to the comics, much like TV writers today outside of the Flash show rarely care about comic book material.
Old 08-19-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3jBbWoAtaWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-19-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Cool. I will definitely pick that up. Their voices still sound great to me seeing as how there are pretty dang ol at this point.

If you like the old voices, check out this set. I love it because I grew up watching it every Saturday morning but I know that a lot of people can't stand Bat-Mite.

Old 08-19-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

^I watched some of that for a past challenge and thought it was pretty entertaining.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.