Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Damn shame about all of this. I was hoping that 24: Legacy might get some interest in the original series. It sounds like The X-Files' sales didn't meet Fox's expectations, and they've lost interest. It's a shame, they aren't the only ones; Elementary or Over the Garden Wall to name just a couple. I wish they could do Twilight Time-style pressings or something at least, but I guess the interest base is too small. It's a sad world when I can get something on Hulu and not on HD home video. Even WB archive at least released Constantine. It sounds like the state of the physical media market just can't justify the pricing.
Old 03-11-17, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fox lost interest well before the X-Files releases.
Old 03-12-17, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Fox could release Buffy on blu, too. It's been remastered in HD, though there is a ton criticism about the quality of the remadter.
Old 03-12-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Retailers won't carry BD television releases much anymore, making them a niche product with limited potential market. Once retail stores stop widely carrying something, it becomes very tough to hit sales targets.

I would love to own Legion on Blu-ray but I know it won't be getting released anywhere.
Old 03-12-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

You can still purchase Digital HD versions from Amazon and Hulu.
Old 03-12-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't think you can "purchase" from Hulu, but this thread isn't about HD versions not being available, but specifically a Blu-ray release not being available. Some people don't want a DRM-locked copy that could potentially disappear if the company you bought it from goes under. There's also difference s in quality/bitrates, and some people may have bandwidth caps that would make an HD copy on Blu-ray disc more appealing.
Old 03-12-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right.

Fox and their home video department can take a walk. Not releasing The Simpsons, and now putting Archer, a show I have solely collected on Blu-ray up to this point on DVD only, and of course stopping the King of The Hill DVD's after season six... I'm fed up. I don't WANT to buy digital copies of anything, with digital rights protections or not. I want physical copies in high quality.
Old 03-13-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is galling when a studio abandons a show halfway through its run. Fox did that with so many Blu-ray television releases.
Old 03-13-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would love to own Legion on Blu-ray but I know it won't be getting released anywhere.
I am holding out hope for this, though. Genre programming like this -- especially with its X-Men connection -- seems to be pretty safe.
Old 03-13-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I am holding out hope for this, though. Genre programming like this -- especially with its X-Men connection -- seems to be pretty safe.

I used to think that about genre (sci-fi, horror) programming, too, but Scream The Series and Scream Queens were DVD only, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 and Agent Carter S2 didn't even come out DVD or blu-ray.

At this point, it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether or not television programming will get a blu-ray release, or even a DVD release.
Old 03-13-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox has abandoned TV on Blu-ray. Legion's ratings haven't been very good, which is the real kiss of death for a physical release.
Old 03-16-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit
Fox lost interest well before the X-Files releases.
I was hoping it might show them that there was still a market. Naively.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Fox could release Buffy on Blu, too. It's been remastered in HD, though there is a ton criticism about the quality of the remaster.
Including from Whedon himself. But since it's not coming out, I suppose it's academic.

Retailers won't carry BD television releases much anymore, making them a niche product with limited potential market. Once retail stores stop widely carrying something, it becomes very tough to hit sales targets.

Like I said, I'd love a Twilight Time-style solution, but because we're talking about multi-disc sets, it's obviously less possible. At the very least, they could have the damn HDX UV codes includes to soften the blow.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Or VUDU, but that's a pale imitation of owning with a high bitrate.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think you can "purchase" from Hulu, but this thread isn't about HD versions not being available, but specifically a Blu-ray release not being available. Some people don't want a DRM-locked copy that could potentially disappear if the company you bought it from goes under. There's also difference s in quality/bitrates, and some people may have bandwidth caps that would make an HD copy on Blu-ray disc more appealing.
Yeah, well, not to mention extras. But wish in one hand...

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Right.

Fox and their home video department can take a walk. Not releasing The Simpsons, and now putting Archer, a show I have solely collected on Blu-ray up to this point on DVD only, and of course stopping the King of The Hill DVD's after season six... I'm fed up. I don't WANT to buy digital copies of anything, with digital rights protections or not. I want physical copies in high quality.
And I want to win the lottery, but sadly, this is what we get.

I used to think that about genre (sci-fi, horror) programming, too, but Scream The Series and Scream Queens were DVD only, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 and Agent Carter S2 didn't even come out DVD or blu-ray.

At this point, it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether or not television programming will get a blu-ray release, or even a DVD release.
Old 03-17-17, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 and Agent Carter S2 didn't even come out DVD or blu-ray.
At least they got region-free releases overseas if you want to import. I figured they'd just be on a delay like the first season of Daredevil was, but it's been long enough that I...really don't think that's gonna happen.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-17-17 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
At least they got region-free releases overseas if you want to import.
I'd like a boxed of of all of said seasons with DMA codes when AOS is all done. Like that'll happen.
Old 03-19-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
And I want to win the lottery, but sadly, this is what we get.
I'm well aware that studios make decisions that aren't very consumer friendly because they do a lot with internal metrics that say, "Hey, this would be better for our bottom line." Business is business and it usually means the consumer eats it in the end somehow.

But I feel with Archer that Fox basically messed up the last season's chance of selling and now WE are paying the price for it. That's not right. They were only planning on a DVD and then they announced a BD at the last minute. As a result, most retailers didn't even carry the Blu-ray. Was never able to find it in store for months, and had to resort to getting it online.
Old 03-19-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

There were talks of releasing The Shield on blu not too long ago. Pretty sure that's dead now.
Old 03-19-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
There were talks of releasing The Shield on blu not too long ago. Pretty sure that's dead now.
It isn't dead. That's Sony's distribution deal. We're talking about Fox.

Although there is talk about it going to a digital platform like Hulu or something similar... which has the potential to keep it off disc, at least for a while. But that's not a given.
Old 03-24-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not completely dead yet. Lethal Weapon S1 is coming

https://www.amazon.com/Lethal-Weapon...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 03-25-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

Hopefully this placeholder will eventually become an actual real order listing.

Considering this is a Warner produced/owned show, they might give it a shot on bluray for the first season .... and probably find out that hardly anyone is buying it.
Old 03-26-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

I know for a fact that studios have canceled Blu-ray releases in the past that don't generate enough pre-orders on Amazon. The data is shared with the studio.

Lethal Weapon's fans may want to pre-order that set to ensure its release.
Old 03-27-17, 04:46 PM

I know for a fact that studios have canceled Blu-ray releases in the past that don't generate enough pre-orders on Amazon. The data is shared with the studio.
Wonder how much extra amazon charges, for sharing such data.
Old 03-28-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I died a little inside having to buy the last season of Archer on DVD instead of blu.

At least that got a real release. Sunny in Philly's 11th season didn't even get a real release on dvd, just a DVD-R, that's not even available on amazon.
Old 03-30-17, 07:56 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
At least that got a real release. Sunny in Philly's 11th season didn't even get a real release on dvd, just a DVD-R, that's not even available on amazon.
I just came here to ask about this. What the shit?? It's one of their most popular shows and after 10 years of DVDs they're now putting out DVD-Rs?? Not to mention it's priced at over $20 for 10 episodes... I never bought the last few seasons of Louie because of this too. What the hell is Fox thinking? Is it really that much of a cost burden to just decrease their initial order for manufacturing?

I can't believe I am going to have to not buy this now.

Edit: I see this is now the regular standard with Fox. Shit... I guess I'm really going to be done buying any shows from now on until a full series set comes out.

What a same...

Last edited by dex14; 03-30-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
What the hell is Fox thinking? Is it really that much of a cost burden to just decrease their initial order for manufacturing?

I can't believe I am going to have to not buy this now.

Edit: I see this is now the regular standard with Fox. Shit...
If I had to guess, the guys who are calling the shots in the home video department at Fox, are probably "accountant" types who diligently pay attention to the numbers in an extreme anal retentive manner.
Old 03-30-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Philly being available on Netflix is what killed it's physical sales.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.