Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

So I take it we don't have a shot of getting a complete series box set for The League?
Old 06-24-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So I take it we don't have a shot of getting a complete series box set for The League?
It would just be a gathering of the individual seasons already released. I was amazed The League was even put out on BD.
Old 06-24-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I look at it this way too. If you're one of those who only purchases television shows when they are marked down 75-80% off MSRP or 8-12 months after the initial release, you're not really helping the show get more releases on BD let alone on DVD.

The studio obviously wants to sell as many units as possible in the first few weeks of it's release. When Best Buy, Amazon or Target ends up sitting on unsold units for months, years, there is obviously no inclination for them to order more and that tells the studio that no one wants them.

I'm no retail expert, but I'm guessing that's sort of how it works and those retailers will eventually just mark them down (especially during the Holidays) just to get rid of whatever unsold product they have left and won't order anymore.

I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds on CBS and it's never gotten a release on BD. But, I will purchase the new season on DVD within the first month of it's release because I'm a fan and want to support it.
Old 06-24-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

To be perfectly honest, I don't think a lot of television stuff even warrants release on DVD or blu-ray.

Stuff like Scorpion, Blue Bloods, and Hawaii Five-O probably aren't going be hugely popular on home video. They're long seasons, they're procedurals, they tend to be repetitive case-of-the-week type of things, so they're probably not going to be must-buys on DVD or blu-ray.

Same with most sit-coms, which also get syndicated out the wazoo.

And streaming on Netflix or whatever is probably well-suited for television programming.

I would say that the kind of programming best suited for home video would be cable shows (shorter and more arc-based) and genre programming.
Old 06-24-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
To be perfectly honest, I don't think a lot of television stuff even warrants release on DVD or blu-ray.

Stuff like Scorpion, Blue Bloods, and Hawaii Five-O probably aren't going be hugely popular on home video. They're long seasons, they're procedurals, they tend to be repetitive case-of-the-week type of things, so they're probably not going to be must-buys on DVD or blu-ray.
Yeah I actually agree with you. If you're going to devote 8 months to watching several network crime procedurals weekly, chances are you're not going to want to watch them again anytime soon or not at all. I think the audience that the DVDs are probably really catered for are those who don't watch regular weekly TV and don't care about being a season or so behind.
Old 06-25-16, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I look at it this way too. If you're one of those who only purchases television shows when they are marked down 75-80% off MSRP or 8-12 months after the initial release, you're not really helping the show get more releases on BD let alone on DVD.

The studio obviously wants to sell as many units as possible in the first few weeks of it's release. When Best Buy, Amazon or Target ends up sitting on unsold units for months, years, there is obviously no inclination for them to order more and that tells the studio that no one wants them.

I'm no retail expert, but I'm guessing that's sort of how it works and those retailers will eventually just mark them down (especially during the Holidays) just to get rid of whatever unsold product they have left and won't order anymore.

I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds on CBS and it's never gotten a release on BD. But, I will purchase the new season on DVD within the first month of it's release because I'm a fan and want to support it.
I definitely make sure to support my favorite shows on Blu-ray with first-month purchases.
Old 06-25-16, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I actually agree with you. If you're going to devote 8 months to watching several network crime procedurals weekly, chances are you're not going to want to watch them again anytime soon or not at all. I think the audience that the DVDs are probably really catered for are those who don't watch regular weekly TV and don't care about being a season or so behind.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Same with most sit-coms, which also get syndicated out the wazoo.

And streaming on Netflix or whatever is probably well-suited for television programming.

I would say that the kind of programming best suited for home video would be cable shows (shorter and more arc-based) and genre programming.
I enjoy getting some TV on DVD/BR but prefer the DVD versions. I haven't quite gotten into streaming yet. My favorite use for TV on DVD is business trips. No better way to kill a couple nights in a hotel than to binge some episodes of a program you're trying to catch up on. My laptop has a DVD only player and prefer not to bother another piece to carry on the plane.
Old 07-06-16, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I definitely make sure to support my favorite shows on Blu-ray with first-month purchases.
I'm somewhat conflicted/hypocritical on this issue.

Even for shows that I really like, I'm still somewhat of a bottom feeder scavenger at heart, that I wait until they're dump bin fodder. I know very well that this type of behavior goes against future seasons being released on bluray.

But with that being said, I do have the CSI Cyber season 2 dvd set on preorder. Despite the show being really really dumb at "Under The Dome" levels of silliness, I was watching the season 2 episodes over and over again on the dvr when they were current. (First day purchase will not bring CSI back to the airwaves).
Old 07-06-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It would just be a gathering of the individual seasons already released. I was amazed The League was even put out on BD.
After doing some searching, it looks like only the first four seasons came out on Blu Ray. The last three seasons and the complete series box set is DVD only. Looks like I'll just stick with watching it on Netflix.
Old 07-06-16, 08:44 AM

They released the 12th season of NCIS on Blu-Ray a year ago for some odd reason, but now ditched it for the 13th season.
This was a very very strange case. No official word (yet) on why exactly this was done.

(On a tangent).

In terms of the NCIS video quality, the latest season 13 broadcasts I've been watching still seems to have a soft somewhat crappy looking picture quality. Lately I've also been watching reruns of earlier seasons on cable (ie. seasons with Sasha Alexander), and noticed the video quality is just as bad as the current season's episodes.

It looks almost just as bad as dvd video quality upscaled to 1920x1080 resolution.

According to NCIS page on imdb, it mentions the show is using current digital cameras (ie. Arri Alexa).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364845/technical
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_Alexa

If I had to guess, NCIS' producers are deliberately running the hd video of current episodes, through a "softening" filter/program in post-production?
Old 11-20-16, 11:44 AM

(I'll continue the commentary about recent Warner bluray stuff here, from the Mill Creek thread).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/635...-4-16-a-3.html

Originally Posted by morriscroy
For example, if Warner lowers themselves further down to crappiness such as cramming 8 episodes onto one bluray disc, at 4 or 5 gigs (or less) per episode.

(ie. Turning four-disc 22-24 episode bluray season sets, into three-disc bluray season sets).
It appears this ^ is already a reality.

The season 7 bluray set of Vampire Diaries, had 22 episodes crammed onto three bluray discs. (The previous seasons of Vampire Diaries all had 22 or 23 episodes distributed over four bluray discs).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Warner is using this ^ and Supergirl season 1 + Legends of Tomorrow season 1 bluray sets, as test cases to see weather "cutting corners" significantly affects the number of tv bluray season sets sold.
Old 11-20-16, 11:49 AM

Supergirl season 1 bluray = 20 episodes on three bluray discs.

Legends of Tomorrow season 1 bluray = 16 episodes on two bluray discs.
Old 11-20-16, 01:50 PM

(Going back more than a year ago).

It appears this 4disc -> 3disc "cutting corners" has already happened earlier.

The season 2 bluray set of The Originals had 22 episodes crammed onto three bluray discs.

This may very well have been Warner's first "sacrificial lamb" in reducing 22-episode 4-disc sets into 3-disc sets.

If I had to guess, perhaps the season 1 bluray of The Originals wasn't a hot seller for Warner, but sold enough copies to look into a season 2 bluray release. (The initial bluray release of season 1 was a 9-disc bluray/dvd/uv combo pack). Out of all the other then-current 2014-2015 seasons of network Warner-owned tv shows released on bluray, it would appear The Originals season 2 would have been the only "strategic" choice as a "sacrificial lamb" test trial (ie. gives the most amount of semi-useful market information).

The other 2014-2015 network Warner-owned tv shows released on bluray were:

- Person of Interest season 4
- The Following season 3
- Supernatural season 10
- The Big Bang Theory season 8
- Vampire Diaries season 6
- Gotham season 1
- The Flash season 1
- Arrow season 3

None of them ^ would appear to be ideal 2015 candidates for getting back decent market data in the 4disc -> 3disc "cutting corners".

If I had to guess in the end, most likely this 4disc -> 3disc "sacrificial lamb" test case of the season 2 bluray of The Originals probably didn't affect sales drastically. So with the recent 2015-2016 bluray season set releases, it appears the "cutting corners" experiment is going further to next-to-last seasons (ie. Vampire Diaries season 7) and first season DC shows (ie. Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow).

My guess is if the current "sacrificial lambs" of Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and Vampire Diaries season 7, show that sales don't completely fall off a cliff, then we can probably look forward to more Warner tv on bluray titles being released in this manner with 7 or 8 episodes crammed onto a bluray disc.
Old 11-20-16, 03:38 PM

In terms of uninformed predictions for Warner tv on bluray in 2017, these are my unrealistic guesses.

Vampire Diaries - season 8

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this ends up being a 2-disc bluray set with 16 episodes. IIRC, season 8 will be the last with only 16 episodes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ies-end-895646

DC and other network shows

If Warner considers "cutting corners" to be a viable strategy without drastically affecting sales, then it wouldn't be too surprising seeing some or all of the current DC shows becoming 3-disc bluray sets in 2017.

Probably the same can also be said for Blindspot season 2 and Supernatural season 12, possibly becoming 3-disc bluray sets in 2017.

The Big Bang Theory will probably continue being a 2-disc bluray set.

Rookie network shows produced/owned by Warner

On the surface, nothing rookie appears to be bluray-worthy at this point.

(ie. Lethal Weapon, Frequency, Training Day, Riverdale, etc ...).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner...os._Television
Old 11-20-16, 04:15 PM

A recent oddity is "Master of Sex" season 3 not being released at all in america. (Though season 3 was released on dvd and bluray in france and germany).

Season 4 was just finished earlier this month.

The first two seasons were released on bluray by Sony.
Old 11-20-16, 04:30 PM

Speaking of Sony, one could also ask whether Sony might end up discontinuing The Blacklist on bluray and going dvd-only for season 4.

The only scenario where I can see this happening, is if the season 3 bluray sales were horribly low, and if the entire season 4 ends up being really awful. (I've been finding the first half of season 4 to be largely a joke so far).
Old 11-20-16, 08:02 PM

More shows which appear to have been recently discontinued on bluray. (ie. Now dvd-only or dvd-mod).

- HBO (dvd-mod)

Getting On - season 3
Togetherness - season 2

- Paramount

Workaholics - season 6
Zoo - season 2
Ray Donovan - season 4

- Fox

Empire - season 2
Sleepy Hollow - season 3

- Starz / Anchor Bay

Halt and Catch Fire - season 2
Turn: Washington's Spies - seasons 2 and 3
Old 11-20-16, 09:44 PM

Speaking of Sony, one could also ask whether Sony might end up discontinuing The Blacklist on bluray and going dvd-only for season 4.

The only scenario where I can see this happening, is if the season 3 bluray sales were horribly low, and if the entire season 4 ends up being really awful. (I've been finding the first half of season 4 to be largely a joke so far).
DC and other network shows

If Warner considers "cutting corners" to be a viable strategy without drastically affecting sales, then it wouldn't be too surprising seeing some or all of the current DC shows becoming 3-disc bluray sets in 2017.

Probably the same can also be said for Blindspot season 2 and Supernatural season 12, possibly becoming 3-disc bluray sets in 2017.

On the other hand, one can also ask whether The Blacklist and Blindspot will still be on the air next September/October. Currently they are the two lowest rated shows on NBC.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/nb...eason-ratings/

If both shows end up being canned (ie. NBC/Universal do not own them), then the question is whether Warner and Sony are interested in releasing "complete series" bluray sets for them. If for no other reason, than as an easy way of clearing out old bluray inventory.

In terms of past precedents, Warner has released "complete series" bluray sets for shows with as few as two seasons (ie. Revolution). Sony has previously released "complete series" bluray sets for Breaking Bad and Justified.
Old 02-02-17, 06:28 PM

Heh. Another one bites the dust.

Archer going dvd-only for season 7.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Archer-...-Release/23008
Old 02-02-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

That sucks.
Old 02-02-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Oh man, Archer looked great on blu - way better that it's "HD" version on Netflix.

At least they're still releasing it, unlike Simpsons (still pissed about that, as soon as we get to the great looking HD season, they fucking stop!).
Old 02-02-17, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That'd be in Disney's court, not Netflix's, even though that's where it premiered.

(In that sense, it's no different than Gotham airing on Fox but being released on home video by Warner Bros., since Warner produces the show, just like Disney produces Daredevil.)
i'm confused. Both DD S1 and JJ S1 are available at zavvi.com in blu-ray and both are region free..
Old 02-02-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
i'm confused. Both DD S1 and JJ S1 are available at zavvi.com in blu-ray and both are region free..
You're replying to a 9.5 month old post. Disney hadn't announced either season set back then. Daredevil has since gotten a domestic release as well. (...although I imported mine from Zavvi before that.)

Along with those, the second season of Agent Carter and the third season of Agents of SHIELD have both gotten UK releases. Nothing's been announced for the U.S. yet.
Old 02-03-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Heh. Another one bites the dust.

Archer going dvd-only for season 7.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Archer-...-Release/23008
Things like that really piss me off. They also make me feel justified in getting the HD version via torrent, rather than buying the lower quality DVD.

This happens a lot with UK TV, as well.
Old 02-03-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Things like that really piss me off. They also make me feel justified in getting the HD version via torrent, rather than buying the lower quality DVD.
I don't torrent, but I do capture the Simpsons seasons that won't get a physical release off of Simpsons World and save them onto a tumb-drive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.