Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

You would think comedies would sell better than dramas, since they're more re-watchable.
Old 10-16-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 478 Posts

I think what's being overlooked is that most "regular" consumers really don't care that much about quality - after all, they're the ones who seem to love low quality streaming services - so they'll go for which ever one is less expensive. If they even own a BR player it'll upscale that DVD to more-than-acceptable quality levels for "just a TV show."
Old 10-16-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 338 Likes on 257 Posts

Nip/Tuck season 4 was great on HD-DVD. After watching that I wanted to see the rest of the series, but not in standard-def.
Old 10-16-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
You would think comedies would sell better than dramas, since they're more re-watchable.
I think that probably plays into part of the problem... comedies are largely episodic, which probably makes for easier rewatch, but also allows you to just watch or dvr re-runs of currently airing shows without worrying about missing too much. Serial dramas tend to reward binge watching a lot more, and catching an episode out of context (or missing an episode) can sometimes be a deterrent, so having it available in a set that you could watch at any time makes more sense. IMHO, at least, there are many times I miss an episode (usually due to severe DVR backlog deleting something), then just wait until the disc is released to catch up. On the other hand, if it's available for streaming and you already subscribe to the service, why buy the physical media, especially when it's first released?

I mean, I love the Simpsons and have faithfully collected the sets, but it's on all the time. Plus, streaming and DVRs have made the process of turning on a Blu ray player, inserting the disk, and (most of all) sitting through the forced commercials at disc startup, then finding the episode you want to watch, seem very cumbersome.
Old 10-17-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
These decisions always come down to one or two key executives, you never know what someone might do if faced with a budget crunch.
As a semi-tangential parallel, one could examine possible past precedents of Warner going wobbly, such as how they dealt with tv on hd-dvd. (Not really an apples-to-apples comparison).

The earliest hd-dvd movies released by Warner which I could find, were: The Last Samurai, Phantom of the Opera, and Million Dollar Baby on April 18, 2006.

The earliest bluray movies released by Warner which I could find, were: Training Day, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Rumor Has It, and Good Night Good Luck, on August 1, 2006, and Lethal Weapon 1, Blazing Saddles, Full Metal Jacket, and Firewall on September 5, 2006.

The first Warner tv on hd-dvd set was season 5 of Smallville released on November 28, 2006. (The dvd version was released two months earlier on September 12, 2006). Season 5 was not released on bluray.

The second Warner tv on hd-dvd set appears to be season 6 part 1 of The Sopranos, where it was released along with the bluray version on the same day: December 19, 2006. (The dvd version was released a month earlier on November 7, 2006).

About a year later in September/October 2007, Warner released the tv on hd-dvd titles: season 4 of Nip/Tuck (September 4, 2007), season 6 of Smallville (September 18, 2007), and season 6 part 2 of The Sopranos (October 23, 2007). These three hd-dvd tv season sets were simultaneously released with their corresponding respective dvd and bluray versions on their same respective release dates.

Not much data to go on here. But it may suggest the Warner bosses calling the shots in the home video division were somewhat pragmatic all along, and were not particularly "partisan" when it came to the hd-dvd vs bluray format war.

By early->mid 2007, they probably had enough sales data to make informed decisions on releasing certain tv season sets in all three formats. (No idea what led them to roll the dice on season 4 of Nip/Tuck).

The question with today's bosses in Warner's home video division, is whether they're also pragmatic and data driven. (Assuming the present management regime isn't in a "lame duck" phase).
Old 10-17-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think that probably plays into part of the problem... comedies are largely episodic, which probably makes for easier rewatch, but also allows you to just watch or dvr re-runs of currently airing shows without worrying about missing too much. Serial dramas tend to reward binge watching a lot more, and catching an episode out of context (or missing an episode) can sometimes be a deterrent, so having it available in a set that you could watch at any time makes more sense. IMHO, at least, there are many times I miss an episode (usually due to severe DVR backlog deleting something), then just wait until the disc is released to catch up. On the other hand, if it's available for streaming and you already subscribe to the service, why buy the physical media, especially when it's first released?

I mean, I love the Simpsons and have faithfully collected the sets, but it's on all the time. Plus, streaming and DVRs have made the process of turning on a Blu ray player, inserting the disk, and (most of all) sitting through the forced commercials at disc startup, then finding the episode you want to watch, seem very cumbersome.
I also think the demographic for two of the shows mentioned, 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly, doesn't fit the BD demographic.

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The first Warner tv on hd-dvd set was season 5 of Smallville released on November 28, 2006. (The dvd version was released two months earlier on September 12, 2006). Season 5 was not released on bluray.
I still have seasons 5 and 6 on HD DVD. I guess I'd have to go digital if I wanted another HD version.
Old 10-17-14, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I also think the demographic for two of the shows mentioned, 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly, doesn't fit the BD demographic.
Wonder how much of the BD demographic buys the bluray season sets of The Big Bang Theory.
Old 10-18-14, 01:05 PM

The Lottery is terrible, by the way. It has already hit Under The Dome levels of stupidity in its pilot.
Not surprisingly, The Lottery was canceled by Lifetime.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-741832

I doubt this will be released on bluray.

Wonder if Warner is ever going to release this show on dvd. If they do, I suspect it will go the MOD dvd route. (ie. Similar to what was done recently for "Almost Human").

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3314228/companycredits
Old 10-18-14, 01:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I find it tacky that Fox relegates 'Bob's Burgers' to DV-R status/release ...
Old 10-18-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I find it tacky that Fox relegates 'Bob's Burgers' to DV-R status/release ...
I think there is a chance that some company licenses that show for home video.
Old 10-18-14, 03:08 PM

I think there is a chance that some company licenses that show for home video.
Maybe Olive will pick it up? (Like what they're doing for subsequent seasons of "King of the Hill").

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Kin...-7-and-8/20245
Old 10-19-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 697 Posts

Maybe Olive will pick it up? (Like what they're doing for subsequent seasons of "King of the Hill").

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Kin...-7-and-8/20245
Possibly.
Old 10-25-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

I noticed now Bones: Season 9 is DVD only. There was a Blu-ray pre-order up but now it's gone.
Old 10-25-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,688 Likes on 2,652 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I noticed now Bones: Season 9 is DVD only. There was a Blu-ray pre-order up but now it's gone.
Bones season 9 was released over a month ago. I picked up the DVD a few weeks ago. Yeah I was also disappointed they went DVD only despite the last few seasons being on BD. The sales for season 8 must have really sucked.
Old 10-25-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Yeah, I hadn't paid attention until recently when I noticed previous seasons were on sale.
Old 11-07-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bones season 9 was released over a month ago. I picked up the DVD a few weeks ago. Yeah I was also disappointed they went DVD only despite the last few seasons being on BD. The sales for season 8 must have really sucked.
It's been released on BD since Season 4, so it's disappointing.

Fox sent out the press release for Season 5 of Archer on BD, so that along with The Simpsons are still getting output.
Old 11-11-14, 07:22 PM

Not surprisingly, season 2 of The Bridge might be going dvd only.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bridge-Season-2/20475

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-11-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:52 PM

Also season 3 of Longmire going dvd only.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lon...Season-3/20455

(Not even an amazon bluray placeholder).

Perhaps not too surprising for this show, considering the season 1+2 bluray set was a Warner Archive release.

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-11-14 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:58 PM

(I don't know if this means anything).

The amazon placeholder of the dvd version of season 2 of The Blacklist is actually a preorder with "This title has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NX77IWK

In contrast, the amazon placeholder for the bluray version of season 2 of The Blacklist doesn't even have a preorder. It just says "Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NX7ECYC

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-11-14 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 08:47 PM

In addition, there's amazon placeholders for blurays of other recent first season basic cable shows.

- Halt and Catch Fire

http://www.amazon.com/Halt-Catch-Blu.../dp/B00KJ1CT54

- Turn

http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Blu-ray-B.../dp/B00KJ1C01W

- Tyrant

http://www.amazon.com/Tyrant-Season-.../dp/B00LLU07H4
(Adding more fuel to the speculative fire).

All these amazon bluray placeholders have been quietly changed to non-preorders, saying:

"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. "

or

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." (For TURN).

In contrast, the amazon placeholders for the respective dvd versions of these same season 1 shows are still preorders, which all say "This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."
Old 11-12-14, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

The latest Robot Chicken special (DC Comics 2) wasn't released on BD. I hope that's not a sign of things to come for Adult Swim shows, especially Venture Bros
Old 11-12-14, 08:13 AM

(More starz/anchor bay shows).

"Low Winter Sun" was released on dvd back in August, but not on bluray in america. (It was released on bluray in europe).

The dvd version of "Da Vinci's Demons" season 2 has an amazon preorder placeholder, but the bluray version's placeholder is a non-preorder that says "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." (It appears the season 2 bluray is being released in europe).

On the other side of the coin, Anchor Bay is giving a shot on the bluray for season 1 of "Black Sails" for a January 2015 release. (Black Sails is already renewed for a season 3)

http://seriable.com/black-sails-renewed-season-3-starz/
Old 11-13-14, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
The latest Robot Chicken special (DC Comics 2) wasn't released on BD. I hope that's not a sign of things to come for Adult Swim shows, especially Venture Bros
In principle, there's the option of releasing such titles through Warner Archive. Whether Warner will pursue this avenue, will probably be determined by how large of a hardcore audience they think will buy such releases (judging by past sales data of previous releases).

I don't know what the minimum bluray sales figure they're looking at, for such Warner Archive releases. (ie. 500 copies? 1000 copies? 2000 copies? 5000 copies? 10k+ copies? etc ....).

The fact that anything is released through Warner Archive, is already a strong indicator that Warner probably doesn't have much confidence in the future sales of a general release for such Warner Archive released titles.
Old 11-13-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Well, Rick & Morty (my favorite new show) was a new AS show that just got a blu release, so who knows. I'm pretty sure Venture will still be getting blus.
Old 11-13-14, 06:18 PM

Amazon placeholder for season 2 bluray of Sleepy Hollow.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleepy-Hollow-.../dp/B00O4CTSD0

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.