Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/672...u-ray-set-year

There’s a seven-hour Crystal Lake Memories documentary inbound this year, meaning Friday the 13th fanatics already think life is pretty sweet. But what if the good news didn’t have to end there? What if, for the first time ever, we obsessive fanatics could have it all?

And by "all" I mean every Jason Voorhees outing bundled in one bloody Blu-ray package.

For those unaware: Warner Bros. acquired the rights to 600 titles in Paramount’s back catalogue last October in a deal that went into effect on January 1st. Naturally, this got horror fans speculating as to what genre titles could hit the shelves with the Warner logo attached.

Now Warner Bros. is hinting (via their WBShop Facebook page) that a complete Friday the 13th box set could see the light of day this fall. A few months back a fan asked the WBShop where the rest of the Friday the 13th Blu-rays were, and the official response was, "There should be some news for Jason fans later in the year." Another fan dropped a similar inquiry this week, asking for a boxed release of Parts 1-8. Again, the response was interesting: "You might get that and more…"

No, this isn’t concrete news. But it’s also not very surprising. It’s no secret that the Friday the 13th franchise had done really well for Paramount on home video. The studio infamously triple-dipped the first eight titles, first in bare bones releases, then with a half-assed box set, followed by deluxe editions (which were then packaged in another embarrassing DVD-only box for the worst suckers out there). The first three films slipped onto Blu-ray to coincide with the release of the 2009 remake, but since then the trail has gone cold, presumably because Paramount no longer sees the value in cultivating HD titles for a waning marketplace.

Now that Warner Bros. owns the distribution rights to all twelve films in the franchise, a complete box set sounds like a no-brainer. And these vague social media responses seem to suggest we won’t have very long to wait.
Old 06-02-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

I fully anticipated this being a priority for WB once they acquired Paramount's catalog.

I also anticipate buying the ever-lovin' fuck out of it regardless of price because I'm a franchise fanboy.
Old 06-02-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!!!
Old 06-02-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'll get this day one when it's announced. Kind of hoping that they release them separate as well as a box set since I have the first three and the remake already and would rather not double dip.
Old 06-02-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Yes!!
Old 06-02-13, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Won't hesitate to buy Day 1.
Old 06-02-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome that WB sees potential here. The fact that they own Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X means we should get a real complete box. Can't wait.
Old 06-02-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't want to be negative here but I really hope it's not slapped together with poor quality crap just to get fans money as has been the case in previous years with DVD releases.
I know that went back to Paramount putting them out but it seems like F13 fans have been given so-so releases and many double-dips.
I'm not saying they need pull a Universal 'Jaws' restoration on every movie but I hope they can do some nice work and leave out the DNR and other junk filtering.
Old 06-03-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While doubtful, I would hope they would include both the R and unrated version of the first film, and have the film properly framed this time compared to the current Deluxe Edition release. I think the R version is superior, since one death scene I've mentioned in the past is far more effective in that version than the uncut version. So I would love to have that version in HD.
Old 06-03-13, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'll be surprised if this is more than the pre-existing blu-rays of Parts I, II, and III, with blu-ray versions of the the Deluxe Edition DVDs for the rest of the films.

And since Warners owns GTH and X (and vs Freddy and the remake?), they might include those even though the post above only mentions 1-8.
Old 06-03-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd almost guarantee it'll be all 12 films, all existing DVD extras, nothing new. And I'm fine with that as long as we get good a/v.
Old 06-03-13, 05:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

count me in!
Old 06-03-13, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm hoping for individual releases but i'll take what i can get. it'll be nice to have the big 3 (halloween, NOES, F13) completed on blu-ray.
Old 06-03-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
...And I'm fine with that as long as we get good a/v.
That's what I hope as well...
Old 06-03-13, 07:58 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, as long as we're dreaming, I hope that they redo Part III in Blu-ray 3D so that I can ditch the abominable red/blue anaglyph version. And while they're at THAT, they could fix the opening titles so that they actually ARE in 3D.
Old 06-03-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Don't want to be negative here but I really hope it's not slapped together with poor quality crap just to get fans money as has been the case in previous years with DVD releases.
I know that went back to Paramount putting them out but it seems like F13 fans have been given so-so releases and many double-dips.
I'm not saying they need pull a Universal 'Jaws' restoration on every movie but I hope they can do some nice work and leave out the DNR and other junk filtering.
I was about ready to post a "let's make a list of everything Paramount will do wrong again". Then I saw they aren't releasing it, so I have ever intention of buying this when it comes out and don't expect to be nearly as disappointed as when Paramount has their hand in F13 releases.
Old 06-03-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd almost guarantee it'll be all 12 films, all existing DVD extras, nothing new. And I'm fine with that as long as we get good a/v.
Im fine with this, considering that the Crystal Lake documentary will be 7 hrs long so it will be enough as a new supplement. Besides uncut versions, what else would you need?im excited by this!
Old 06-03-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Just give me part 3 in 3D.
Old 06-03-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I posted on other forums, I expect the layout of the set to be like the following:

Disc 1: I, II, and bonus features.
Disc 2: III (in 2D & 3D), and bonus features.
Disc 3: IV, V, and bonus features.
Disc 4: VI, VII, and bonus features.
Disc 5: VIII, IX, and bonus features.
Disc 6: X, Reboot, and bonus features.
Disc 7: Additional bonus features.

I don't expect new bonus materials to be made for this set as everything will be ported from Paramount's (numerous) past releases as well as New Line's original DVDs. There could possibly be an episode or two of the original television series, but CBS Video owns the rights to it (not Paramount or Warner) so it would have to be licensed out. I wouldn't be surprised if the theatrical cuts of Jason Goes to Hell and the Friday the 13th reboot are dropped in order to make way for disc space. Freddy vs. Jason won't be included in the set just like it wasn't included in the Nightmare set.

Obviously, Paramount made new HD masters for all of their Friday the 13th films as we were supposed to get Blu-ray releases of V, VI, VII, and VIII when they were re-released on DVD as new special editions. However, that never happened. If there's any issue with video quality, it'll be if Warner has already struck new masters of their two Jason films.
Old 06-03-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wonder if it'll have the long-legendary deleted scenes?
Old 06-03-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Wonder if it'll have the long-legendary deleted scenes?
Were they on the special edition DVDs? If not, I wouldn't expect them.

I don't expect Paramount to produce bonus material on catalog titles, especially as Warner is now distributing most of their library. Warner has always been very consistent about including all past bonus materials on their releases. At the very least, I would expect all of the bonus material from the 2004 From Crystal Lake To Manhattan set in addition to the deluxe edition releases from 2009. Just look at the Nightmare on Elm Street box set collection as a good example of this. All of the bonus materials from the original 1999 New Line Platinum Series boxset, the 2006 Infinfilm release, and newly created bonus material were included in the set.
Old 06-04-13, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I wouldn't be surprised if the theatrical cuts of Jason Goes to Hell and the Friday the 13th reboot are dropped in order to make way for disc space.
There is no reason to drop the theatrical cuts of those two films, since they could easily use seamless branching, or have more than enough space for two prints of the films. Also some people don't like the extended version of the remake/reboot(whatever you want to call it) for a few editing changes. So both versions should be included no matter what.

And if they include both versions of the films. I hope they would correct Jason Goes To Hell, which has a flaw in the R version where two unrated scenes are still shown instead of the rated versions. So it was impossible to compare both versions of the scenes, since only the uncut version would play regardless of which version was selected.

And if new HD masters for all the films exist. Again, I hope an HD print of the theatrical R version of the original film is released along side the uncut version.
Old 06-04-13, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
There is no reason to drop the theatrical cuts of those two films, since they could easily use seamless branching, or have more than enough space for two prints of the films. Also some people don't like the extended version of the remake/reboot(whatever you want to call it) for a few editing changes. So both versions should be included no matter what.
Warner and seamless branching? Good luck.

Outside of Blade Runner which used seamless branching as BD-50s weren't common place at the time, most of Warner's BDs that have multiple cuts use multiple encodes. The Campaign, Friday the 13th, The Hangover, Project X, and A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas are just to name a few that use mutliple encodes rather than seamless branching. In fact, the only recent Warner title I can think of that has multiple cuts via seamless branching was Green Lantern. If Warner can't fit multiple encodes on a disc, next step? Multiple discs (Sucker Punch, Superman, etc).

Warner isn't going to use seamless branching. They don't use it like others studios and they're not going to start with eight films that aren't theirs. We're not going to get multiple cuts of each film. If we actually get a true 3D version of III, I'll be genuinely surprised.
Old 06-04-13, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As I posted on other forums, I expect the layout of the set to be like the following:

Disc 1: I, II, and bonus features.
Disc 2: III (in 2D & 3D), and bonus features.
Disc 3: IV, V, and bonus features.
Disc 4: VI, VII, and bonus features.
Disc 5: VIII, IX, and bonus features.
Disc 6: X, Reboot, and bonus features.
Disc 7: Additional bonus features.
Yeah, judging off of the Nightmare on Elm Street box set that they released I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is somewhat similar to what they end up releasing. To be honest I'm fine with that just as long as the films are all released and have good transfers/audio quality. I wonder if they'll even include the reboot/remake in the set since they didn't include the 2010 Nightmare on Elm Street remake.
Old 06-04-13, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Paramount had planned to release 4, 5, 6 on Blu-ray but canceled at the last minute (when they announced 7 and 8 on DVD). IIRC, all the work is done for 1-8, including special features. So it should be a pretty nice release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.