Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Although disappointing, the lack of a "proper" 3D release for Part III doesn't break it for me. I've never picked up any release of these waiting for some definitive boxset but I really think this is the last we'll get in terms of physical media. I'm interested in comparing the picture quality of 4, 5, and 6 to the HD caps I have and seeing if WB is using the same masters.
Old 06-26-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all...
Old 06-26-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh, lack of 3D for Friday the 13th Part 3 doesn't bother me at all really. It's one of those things where it would have been nice to have it but I probably wouldn't have even utilized it anyways.
Old 06-26-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and totally stoked to be getting all the films - with ALL the available bonus features - in high-def.

But, man, so many people still bitch and moan about what we aren't getting. The exclusion of a "true" 3D version of Part 3 should surprise exactly ZERO people if you know how this series has been handled. I'd say WB is giving us one damn fine set we'd have never gotten without their involvement.
Old 06-26-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If you can't do it right, don't do it at all...
So because of no "proper" 3D release, you'd rather just have them sit on the HD masters of the remaining films that haven't been released and not even bother putting them out? That's asinine.

I'm honestly interested in seeing how many people are "boycotting" this set because of the lack of standard 3D. Let's not forget this isn't even Warner Bros. franchise. Sure, they have 2 films and FvJ, but the fact we're getting this at all with some bonus material is nothing short of awesome.

How many years were we waiting for Paramount to do it right? I guess I just don't see the big deal. I doubt many of you would watch Part III in 3D over all the other films, anyway.
Old 06-26-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It sucks, but I'd bet that Paramount doesn't have a proper 3D master handy. I don't think Warner is doing any remastering or new transfers or anything themselves for the Paramount-era films...just using existing Paramount masters.
I'm sure this is it. Warner has only licensed these movies for a limited period of time, and they're not going to be creating new special features and new transfers for something they're going to have to give back to Paramount some day.
Old 06-26-13, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
So because of no "proper" 3D release, you'd rather just have them sit on the HD masters of the remaining films that haven't been released and not even bother putting them out? That's asinine.

I'm honestly interested in seeing how many people are "boycotting" this set because of the lack of standard 3D. Let's not forget this isn't even Warner Bros. franchise. Sure, they have 2 films and FvJ, but the fact we're getting this at all with some bonus material is nothing short of awesome.

How many years were we waiting for Paramount to do it right? I guess I just don't see the big deal. I doubt many of you would watch Part III in 3D over all the other films, anyway.
I'm sure all of 9 sales will be lost. Too many damn whiners who say they won't buy....yet will get it Tuesday.
Old 06-26-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
WBShop has this for preorder @ $90.97.

link
Other sites are also reporting that you can get it even cheaper from WBShop with instant discounts/coupon codes, etc.

One such discount is promoted on the site:

$5 Off when you spend $30-59.99
$10 Off when you spend $60-99.99
$20 Off when you spend $100 or more
So add something to the set and save even more. But you should hurry if you're interested, the fine print says that discount expires 6/27 at 6 AM.
Old 06-27-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I already have all of these movies in other formats, including the first box set that everyone bitched about when it was released- my only reason for buying any new set would be to get part 3 in 3D (which is a rather pointless movie without the 3D, since there's so many gratuitous effects shots that make little sense in 2D)- and it's regarded as one of the best 3D movies effects-wise of that era. A proper 3D Blu-Ray would likely sell a few more 3D TVs, but by using this outdated 3D format they're taking several steps backwards. (I gave up on red/blue 3D a LONG time ago since I can't stand how the color gets messed up- I'd rather just watch a 2D print than attempt to watch any more that way.) At least we'll be getting "Amityville 3D" in the Amityville set coming out later (which is also a rather pointless movie in most regards, but I'll get it anyway just to show my support for the format.)
Old 06-27-13, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has there been any word what the UK verion of the set will be like ? I'm getting the UK set of the Universal Monsters because of the shoddy, idiotic, substandard packaging on the US set.
Old 06-27-13, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Has there been any word what the UK verion of the set will be like ? I'm getting the UK set of the Universal Monsters because of the shoddy, idiotic, substandard packaging on the US set.
Don't know for sure but judging by the fact that Warner's Nightmare on Elm Street set is virtually identical in the UK and US, the same could be in store for the Friday set. The downside for getting the UK Friday set is that the bonus disk will be a region locked, PAL DVD like the NOES box set.
Old 06-27-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already have all of these movies in other formats, including the first box set that everyone bitched about when it was released- my only reason for buying any new set would be to get part 3 in 3D (which is a rather pointless movie without the 3D, since there's so many gratuitous effects shots that make little sense in 2D)- and it's regarded as one of the best 3D movies effects-wise of that era. A proper 3D Blu-Ray would likely sell a few more 3D TVs, but by using this outdated 3D format they're taking several steps backwards. (I gave up on red/blue 3D a LONG time ago since I can't stand how the color gets messed up- I'd rather just watch a 2D print than attempt to watch any more that way.) At least we'll be getting "Amityville 3D" in the Amityville set coming out later (which is also a rather pointless movie in most regards, but I'll get it anyway just to show my support for the format.)
Do you literally mean a few, because I'm fairly certain that not that many people are going to go out and buy a 3D TV just because Friday the 13th Part 3 is available. The format is already niche and while the Friday the 13th films are popular I doubt that many people would buy a brand new 3D TV just to watch one film on. Like I said it would have been nice to have it, but as has been pointed out by other posters Warner is just licensing the first eight films from Paramount and are likely just using the sources Paramount are providing.
Old 06-27-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see anyone "bitching and moaning" about the 3D version.. just conversation. Seems the people not buying it are the ones who aren't getting bent out of shape. Anyway, like someone else also said I've purchased all these films myself. Twice over as a matter of fact. So I'll patiently wait and still enjoy what I've got in the meantime.
Old 06-27-13, 09:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Jason Takes Manhattan is the one that is utter dreck. Jason X looks like Kubrick's 2001 compared to Manhattan.
I think that if they cut out all the 'young Jason' garbage (especially the stupid morph at the end) and if they hadn't hyped the 'Manhattan' angle as much, it would be a better received film. If they had called it "Jason Takes the Sea" or something and left the Manhattan part as a third act twist the whole concept would have went down better.

As for Jason Goes to Hell, I remember being wowed by the production values and the fact we were finally getting some gore again, but was still disappointed in the film for three reasons.

First is the always mentioned 'lack of real Jason'. Not so much that he is needed in every frame to be a good film, but more based the idea that this was supposed to be the last one in the series (at the time and for many years). It's one thing to try something new with a sequel, but when it's supposed to be the capper to the franchise it's not such a good idea to throw away all the key elements that made the franchise successful in first place.

Second I disliked that they tried to explain Jason with some big goofy mythology. It's always a bad idea (see Michael Myers and Thorn). It felt like a quickie effort to conform the franchise so it aligns with the Freddy mythology for the FvJ film, and although I actually liked FvJ, I think it would have been more interesting if they had kept Jason as an 'Earthly' (albeit undead) entity to oppose Freddy.

And third, I hated the look of Jason in JGtH. He just looks fat and lumpy. I appreciate the intentions with the mask embedded in his face and whatnot, and they're great ideas on paper, but the execution just sucked. The fact that this look was basically used as the standard for all Jason merchandise for years afterward just made it worse.
Old 06-27-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So all these years everyone has been enjoying it on home video are a lie? Please. The movie plays fine in 2D. The gratuitous 3D shots are groan-worthy, and they work just as well in 2D. It's easy to get what they were going for.
Old 06-27-13, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have all of these movies in other formats, including the first box set that everyone bitched about when it was released- my only reason for buying any new set would be to get part 3 in 3D (which is a rather pointless movie without the 3D, since there's so many gratuitous effects shots that make little sense in 2D)- and it's regarded as one of the best 3D movies effects-wise of that era. A proper 3D Blu-Ray would likely sell a few more 3D TVs, but by using this outdated 3D format they're taking several steps backwards...
If Avatar can no longer help sell 3D televisions, there's no way Friday the 13th Part 3-D will. The reality is this set will be lucky to sell 50,000-75,000 units. (Especially considering that The Indiana Jones Collection has barely sold over 500,000 units.)

The lack of a true 3D BD release is not going to affect sale of this release at all.

fitprod
Old 06-27-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not surprised about them not making it a upgraded 3D release & having most likely the same extras disc on DVD included. lol Lazy & cheap.... lol I'll still buy it for the right price, I love these movies!
Old 06-28-13, 10:24 AM

I ordered the set for $70 shipped from WBshop... great deal! Of course it would be nice to have a true 3d version of pt 3, but to date there's never been a real 3d release of it. I wouldn't expect it to be done now from WB who is putting this set out and only has these titles for a limited amount of time. They are putting out a nice set at a nice price and I'm super-stoked to be getting it. I want to see the rest of the series in HD finally!!

Rick
Old 06-28-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's nonsense to play up the limited licensing window Warner has on these titles. They'll renew it when it expires. Paramount isn't gonna be in a position to license their own catalog in 3 years or whatever.

This should be done right, period. People wouldn't accept the other films with SD transfers or pan & scan transfers so why should the third film be presented in a way that doesn't properly present the original theatrical exhibition?

Oh that's right because people who don't have 3D TVs don't like buying something they can't watch. That's the only reason anyone would defend this decision. Sour graping.
Old 06-28-13, 10:56 AM

Oh that's right because people who don't have 3D TVs don't like buying something they can't watch. That's the only reason anyone would defend this decision. Sour graping.
That's actually a pretty good reason. The vast majority of consumers have proven that they don't really give a shit about 3D TVs. I know I don't. Yeah, it would have been nice if they included both versions, but at this point the demand still isn't there. I don't know why you would expect anything different. Lump me in with the "this is being blown way out of proportion" group.
Old 06-28-13, 11:53 AM

I actually own a Samsung 51" 3d tv and Samsung 3d player. I also own a huge chunk of 3d blu's and when given the option of buying a movie with or without 3d I always buy the set with 3d. I would absolutely LOVE to have Friday the 13th pt 3 in 3d, however NOT including it in this set isn't a deal-breaker for me.
When I mentioned the WB window for producing these I was merely stating that Warner is producing a boxed set of all the films in a nice boxed set at a nice price and could very well wash their hands after that.....making as much money off of the set with minimal overhead costs (such as re-doing pt 3 in true 3d)! This package as it stands is not being sold as "the definitive" set...it's a fairly priced set of 12 films w/ bonus features that will appeal to 'joe six pack' as well as Friday the 13th fans. Like it or not, companies care more for having Joe 6 pack as a customer moreso than the small amount of 3d afficianados out there!
I am a F13th fan and even though I own parts 1, 2, 3, FvsJ, and F13th remake on blu already, I am very much looking forward to getting the entire collection on blu! If they later released a true 3D version of part 3 I would jump at the chance to buy it!! Most likely it would be sold at a premium and would only cater to a very small group of fans.
NO release of part 3 to date has been in true 3d (VHS, dvd, and blu), and has either been in 2d or anaglyph 3d (which I hate and will not watch, would rather see it in 2d than having a blue/red picture). I wouldn't expect this $70 boxed set to be any different than all of the others released before it.
Buy it if you want it, stay away from it if you don't. Seems pretty simple to me....
Old 06-28-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RickWJ324
I ordered the set for $70 shipped from WBshop... great deal! Of course it would be nice to have a true 3d version of pt 3, but to date there's never been a real 3d release of it. I wouldn't expect it to be done now from WB who is putting this set out and only has these titles for a limited amount of time. They are putting out a nice set at a nice price and I'm super-stoked to be getting it. I want to see the rest of the series in HD finally!!

Rick
Is there a coupon for WB Shop or something? I ordered from Amazon for like $90 and change but $70 would be even better.
Old 06-28-13, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Is there a coupon for WB Shop or something? I ordered from Amazon for like $90 and change but $70 would be even better.
Yes there was! If you go to WBSHOP.COM and choose to pre-order it, it shows as $90.97 w/ free shipping. However when you go to the cart, you'll see it knocks off another $10, bringing it to $80.97. A few days ago, you could then add the coupon: WBAFSAVE10 and it would bring the total down to $70.97! Depending on your state, you may or may not pay tax. I live in VA and had no charge for tax, so my total w/ free shipping came to $70.97.

I had pre-orderd from Amazon initially for $90 but have cancelled that order now. I don't know if the coupon will still work for you, but I do see that the item is still coming up as $80.97 once you look at your cart. Not sure how long that will last though!!

Good luck!! Rick
Old 06-28-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by RickWJ324
Yes there was! If you go to WBSHOP.COM and choose to pre-order it, it shows as $90.97 w/ free shipping. However when you go to the cart, you'll see it knocks off another $10, bringing it to $80.97. A few days ago, you could then add the coupon: WBAFSAVE10 and it would bring the total down to $70.97! Depending on your state, you may or may not pay tax. I live in VA and had no charge for tax, so my total w/ free shipping came to $70.97.

I had pre-orderd from Amazon initially for $90 but have cancelled that order now. I don't know if the coupon will still work for you, but I do see that the item is still coming up as $80.97 once you look at your cart. Not sure how long that will last though!!

Good luck!! Rick
Coupon doesn't work for me. One site says it's dead. When I inputted it in, it says the items in my cart do not meet the conditions of the coupon.

Anyways for California, I get charged tax and it comes out to $87.45 total with free shipping.

Haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
Old 06-28-13, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Coupon doesn't work for me. One site says it's dead. When I inputted it in, it says the items in my cart do not meet the conditions of the coupon.

Anyways for California, I get charged tax and it comes out to $87.45 total with free shipping.

Haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
Sorry about the coupon! It was good a few days ago, but I don't know how long it lasted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.