Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
and it looks like the Killer Extras is a DVD disc.
I am surprised more have not picked up on this or are at least discussing it. Probably just rehash of the old extras with nothing new. Pretty disappointing if that is the case.

In regards to the series, after part 5 (which is in my top 3 of the series along with part 2 and 4), the whole thing goes to cheesy as hellville.
Old 06-16-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Pre-ordered my copy of the set already. I'm hoping it drops in price a bit by the time it's released but I've waited a long enough time to own the complete set and it's something I've wanted on Blu-ray for quite a while.
Old 06-16-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
I am surprised more have not picked up on this or are at least discussing it. Probably just rehash of the old extras with nothing new. Pretty disappointing if that is the case.
This was the one thing that stuck out to me. I'll probably upgrade but I will need to see reviews first.
Old 06-16-13, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's packaging like this that is making me have to buy the UK version of the Universal Monsters set.
Old 06-16-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
This was the one thing that stuck out to me. I'll probably upgrade but I will need to see reviews first.
I saw it but I guess I'm okay with it. I mostly just want to own the films, plus the documentary Crystal Lake Memories while a separate release should give me as many extra features as I could ever want to know about the series clocking in at seven hours.
Old 06-16-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A lot of revisionist thinking going on in this thread. Jason Goes To Hell is a fine entry in the series, even if it does move away from a lot of what made the series so popular. Jason Takes Manhattan is the one that is utter dreck. Jason X looks like Kubrick's 2001 compared to Manhattan.
Revisionist thinking in regards to Jason Goes to Hell? I don't ever remember much love for it. I remember so much hate for it that it took me years to finally bother watching it. Great beginning and funny ending. Everything else was garbage.
Agree that Manhattan is utter dreck. The worst in the series.
Old 06-16-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Jason Goes To Hell is a fine entry in the series, even if it does move away from a lot of what made the series so popular. Jason Takes Manhattan is the one that is utter dreck.
I disagree with this, I thought Jason Takes Manhattan was WAY better than Jason Goes To Hell. lol
Old 06-16-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Manhattan was watchable, but such a let-down when you think about what it could have been. I loved how in the extras on the first Paramount set, everyone said "We wanted to actually do a whole movie with Jason in New York, but we just didn't have enough money so that's why it turned out the way it did." Why do the damn movie at all if you can't do it right??
Old 06-16-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

F13 I through IV are the 'classic' F13 films. Not high art, but they are what they are.

F13 V is okay, but it's kind of surplus to requirements.

F13 VI, is one of my favorites. It's sort of like the filmmakers knew the concept was getting ridiculous at that point so they just said fuck it and made it into a comedy.

F13 VII has sort of grown on me. It really seems like a much better movie than it had any right to be. They knew that the concept was stretched so thin that they decided to make Jason vs Carrie.

F13 VIII is where the concept broke down. Like VI, it's like they wanted to go tongue in cheek, but the movie didn't work at all. Easily the worst in the original series.

JGTH is a hot mess. It's like, back in the 90s when Dimension was picking up all of the horror franchises like Halloween and Hellraiser but had no idea what to do with them so they just put out these atrocious, generic pieces of shit that seemed like they were taking someone's spec script and putting the franchise name in the title. JGTH feels like one of those. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.

Jason X. Another case where they fell back on parody. Fares a bit better JGTH, but the whole thing is built on the joke of "Jason in SPACE!"
Old 06-16-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much agree with the post above.

Parts I-IV- The best entries of the series. Part IV: The Final Chapter being the best of the entire franchise if you ask me.

Part V: A New Beginning- In my opinion doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. Yeah it was a copycat killer instead of Jason but overall it's really not that bad of a movie.

Part VI: Jason Lives- Good and campy horror fun and come on it had it's own music video by Alice Cooper I know some people feel it's when the series started going downhill a bit with zombie Jason but I've always loved that entry.

Part VII: The New Blood- I haven't watched in quite a while but I seem to remember liking it. It's hokey with the telepathic girl (Tina) but still a fun watch.

Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan- Another that's been a while since I've watched it but I remember I didn't hate it. It could have been a lot better especially given the potential of Jason loose in New York but meh still a decent entry.

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday- I've said enough about this one. It's a piece of shit and I'll probably only watch it once when I get the set.

Jason X- Not my favorite but it's got some good cheesy moments.

Friday the 13th (2009)- Meh it's not that great. The prologue was really good and it goes to shit afterwards. Wasn't a fan of Jason being semi smart and setting booby traps around the camp.
Old 06-16-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ They turned him into Bob Vila's mongoloid brother!

I keep wanting to love V for being the ultra sleazy slice of trash cinema it is, but ever since the first time I watched it as a kid and learned Jason wasn't the killer, I've had a "fuck you for tricking me" hatred for it. And it bothers me knowing that it isn't really Jason doing the killing. Weird fan thing, I guess.
Old 06-16-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ They turned him into Bob Vila's mongoloid brother!

I keep wanting to love V for being the ultra sleazy slice of trash cinema it is, but ever since the first time I watched it as a kid and learned Jason wasn't the killer, I've had a "fuck you for tricking me" hatred for it. And it bothers me knowing that it isn't really Jason doing the killing. Weird fan thing, I guess.
I can see that about A New Beginning and I know you're not alone in feeling that way. I felt that way about it at first too and was a bit pissed off when I saw the ending but the more times I've seen it it's sort of grown on me. Still not the best entry but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.
Old 06-17-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Revisionist thinking in regards to Jason Goes to Hell? I don't ever remember much love for it. I remember so much hate for it that it took me years to finally bother watching it. Great beginning and funny ending. Everything else was garbage.
Agree that Manhattan is utter dreck. The worst in the series.
I remember as a kid I hated Hell and loved Manhattan. Then I recently watched the unrated version of Hell and did Manhattan when the first DVD set came out. Complete reversal of opinion now. Manhattan could have taken place in a city instead of a boat and Hell wasn't that bad now. I remember not liking it before since it didn't really have Jason in it.
Old 06-23-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

One day if this is a Amazon Gold Box deal I might buy it.

Wish I did not buy the dvd box set last year.
Old 06-23-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I enjoy watching most of them except for Jason X and the remake. Those two have no redeeming qualities at all whatsoever.
Old 06-23-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I enjoy watching most of them except for Jason X and the remake. Those two have no redeeming qualities at all whatsoever.
Jason X is campy as all hell and kind of dumb but also sort of fun at the same time if you ask me.
Old 06-24-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see this is back up to $116 on Amazon. Hopefully it gets back below $90 by release time.
Old 06-24-13, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I see this is back up to $116 on Amazon. Hopefully it gets back below $90 by release time.
WBShop has this for preorder @ $90.97.

link
Old 06-26-13, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

I'm not even a horror fan, but this is super-weak. Either do it right or don't do it at all:

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/062413_1600

By the way, we’ve officially confirmed with Warner Home Video that when the Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection Blu-ray box set streets on 9/13, it will include both 2D and anaglyph 3D versions of Friday the 13th, Part III, and the set will come with 2 pairs of anaglyph 3D glasses.
Old 06-26-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I'm not even a horror fan, but this is super-weak. Either do it right or don't do it at all:

Well, that seals it for me.. I'll be passing on this set then.
Old 06-26-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Eh, that doesn't bother me. I'll still pick it up at the right price.
Old 06-26-13, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Just like the current release. Didn't expect anything different.
Old 06-26-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
Well, that seals it for me.. I'll be passing on this set then.
It sucks, but I'd bet that Paramount doesn't have a proper 3D master handy. I don't think Warner is doing any remastering or new transfers or anything themselves for the Paramount-era films...just using existing Paramount masters.
Old 06-26-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with doing it how it was presented in the theaters. It's what the director intended.
Old 06-26-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Nothing wrong with doing it how it was presented in the theaters. It's what the director intended.
It didn't play in anaglyph 3D in theaters. The 3D revival in the '80s primarily used an over/under single-strip 3D format. Colors would be normal, but the relative resolution was cut in half (because two images were squeezed onto each individual 35mm frame).

Very few movies have ever played theatrically in anaglyph, mainly titles like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare that switched from 2D to 3D mid-movie. Spy Kids 3D was all anaglyph, but that's because Robert Rodriguez half-assed everything to do with that movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.