Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Excuse me... $29.96. Maybe I'll buy two!
Not on the web site, local add?
Old 09-08-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
Not on the web site, local add?
Ad in today's paper. I doubt they'd have different prices for different regions for something that's such a huge release.
Old 09-08-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Interesting stuff. The only way I'd consider a double dip is if it were the IMAX version of the movie. I honestly don't give a rats ass about the special features.
I do, particularly the commentary. Plus, as Hut has pointed out in his reviews on the site, if not be podcast (haven't listened yet), it's indicative of larger problems with studios abandoning physical media (perhaps inevitably, but unpleasant all the same, especially at this juncture), the general idiocy of retailer exclusives, and Paramount's overall ill treatment of the Star Trek film franchise as regards the current lack of II and VI on BR, and TMP for that matter. Which is especially odd when you consider how much is presumably being spent on the restored BRs of TNG.
Old 09-08-13, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I do, particularly the commentary. Plus, as Hut has pointed out in his reviews on the site, if not be podcast (haven't listened yet), it's indicative of larger problems with studios abandoning physical media (perhaps inevitably, but unpleasant all the same, especially at this juncture), the general idiocy of retailer exclusives, and Paramount's overall ill treatment of the Star Trek film franchise as regards the current lack of II and VI on BR, and TMP for that matter. Which is especially odd when you consider how much is presumably being spent on the restored BRs of TNG.
I think CBS controls TNG. Not Paramount. Anybody have any insight?
Old 09-08-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb
I think CBS controls TNG. Not Paramount. Anybody have any insight?
As I understand it, CBS has control over the TV franchise and Paramount has the movie series. Overall, of course, they're all under the same ownership, but each is handled differently internally. Of course, the development side of things is different from the home video side, so what relationship the unwillingness/inability of CBS to develop a new Star Trek TV show but their willingness/ability to give us TNG Blus, and the willingness/ability of Paramount to develop new movies but their unwillingness/inability to not screw up this Blu-ray release all have is well beyond my cursory grasp of the internal power structure of CBS/Paramount.
Old 09-09-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Interesting stuff. The only way I'd consider a double dip is if it were the IMAX version of the movie. I honestly don't give a rats ass about the special features.
Sorry but I never seem to have time to listen to podcasts, do they talk about double-dipping in the abstract or do they seem to think there's a legit chance of another, better edition coming down the road?

I can't help but think of how ST Nemesis was handled on DVD: when it came out, Paramount was well into the the 2 disc releases of the other Trek movies, so it was very surprising when they first released Nemesis in single disc, barebones editions (with separate widescreen and pan and scan releases to boot). The 2 disc of Nemesis eventually came out, but it seemed a pretty crappy thing of them to do after establishing the pattern with the other movies.
Old 09-09-13, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Credit to SweetBabyJames for pointing out in the bargains thread the FYE sale today only. With the coupon code (valid for orders over $25), I was able to pick up the Star Trek 3D set for $16.22 shipped. I combined the order with the 3D World War Z. I'm no longer interested in the shit extras spread out everywhere.
Old 09-09-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Sorry but I never seem to have time to listen to podcasts, do they talk about double-dipping in the abstract or do they seem to think there's a legit chance of another, better edition coming down the road?
I didn't listen to the podcast but read the transcript.

They talk about a double dip in the abstract. Although Bill Hunt seems certain it will have to happen because the release is such a mess.
Old 09-09-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I didn't listen to the podcast but read the transcript.

They talk about a double dip in the abstract. Although Bill Hunt seems certain it will have to happen because the release is such a mess.
Thanks. I have to think it will happen at some point. I'll watch for a cheap used DVD to tide me over.
Old 09-09-13, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Out of curiosity cause I don't know, but has Paramount ever done a double dip on a blu release? I was trying to think of one but couldn't.
Old 09-09-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Out of curiosity cause I don't know, but has Paramount ever done a double dip on a blu release? I was trying to think of one but couldn't.
They've done reissues, repackagings and box set bundlings of existing discs, but I also can't think of any double-dips with new content.

Considering Paramount's disinterest in physical media as a whole, the prospect of a double-dip seems like wishful thinking to me.
Old 09-09-13, 04:16 PM

I pre-ordered the 3D set, but I'm very much interested in the IMAX version and the enhanced commentary. Since I have no interest in installing iTunes (or an easy way of streaming that to my tv at the moment), I'll just wait a couple of days and I'm sure both will be pirated by then. I'll have no bad feelings about this because, you know, making such extras exclusive to certain distribution methods is BULLSHIT.
Old 09-09-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
As I understand it, CBS has control over the TV franchise and Paramount has the movie series. Overall, of course, they're all under the same ownership, but each is handled differently internally. Of course, the development side of things is different from the home video side, so what relationship the unwillingness/inability of CBS to develop a new Star Trek TV show but their willingness/ability to give us TNG Blus, and the willingness/ability of Paramount to develop new movies but their unwillingness/inability to not screw up this Blu-ray release all have is well beyond my cursory grasp of the internal power structure of CBS/Paramount.
CBS is no longer owned by Viacom, so the rights are now spread across two seperate companies.
Old 09-09-13, 05:09 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

For those who have bought similar Walmart sets like this:

1. how numerous are these sets in most well stocked stores?
2. where exactly do they keep these sets in the movie section?

i'm fucking sick over the fact this set includes the SteelBook™. i have absolutely no desire for the mini-ship and don't even know what special "feature" the Walmart version has. and eventhough i have cared less and less about SteelBook™ over the past couple years, i still have a penchant desire to own them if it is easily accessible to do so *(ugh...just saw it was $39.96 not $29.96 that i had thought)...

i do however think i also want the digibook @ Target for its' special "feature". ugh!

and no i freaking hate the Paramount juggernaut that f*cked us on this release, but i do want the movie most of all and the most bang for buck by getting only (i know "only") 2 releases!

thanks.
Old 09-09-13, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
For those who have bought similar Walmart sets like this:

1. how numerous are these sets in most well stocked stores?
2. where exactly do they keep these sets in the movie section?

i'm fucking sick over the fact this set includes the SteelBook™. i have absolutely no desire for the mini-ship and don't even know what special "feature" the Walmart version has. and eventhough i have cared less and less about SteelBook™ over the past couple years, i still have a penchant desire to own them if it is easily accessible to do so *(ugh...just saw it was $39.96 not $29.96 that i had thought)...

i do however think i also want the digibook @ Target for its' special "feature". ugh!

and no i freaking hate the Paramount juggernaut that f*cked us on this release, but i do want the movie most of all and the most bang for buck by getting only (i know "only") 2 releases!

thanks.
It's 29.96 instore. Target's version isn't a digibook, just a different slipcover and bonus disc.
Old 09-09-13, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sandman007
It's 29.96 instore. Target's version isn't a digibook, just a different slipcover and bonus disc.
oh...i knew i had that price in my head for some reason. i guess the online price is the $10 more. and my mistake on digibook, but it is a bonus disc on blu-ray for a 2-disc Blu-ray, 1-disc DVD set, right?

thanks sandman!
Old 09-09-13, 06:23 PM

oh...i knew i had that price in my head for some reason. i guess the online price is the $10 more. and my mistake on digibook, but it is a bonus disc on blu-ray for a 2-disc Blu-ray, 1-disc DVD set, right?

thanks sandman!
Right. There's also a 1 Blu-ray 3D, 2 Blu-ray, 1 DVD exclusive set as well for $27.99 at Target.
Old 09-09-13, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sandman007
Right. There's also a 1 Blu-ray 3D, 2 Blu-ray, 1 DVD exclusive set as well for $27.99 at Target.
thanks. might go for that then since i am probably upgrading tv and blu-ray player to 3D in near future...
Old 09-09-13, 09:05 PM
Banned

thanks. might go for that then since i am probably upgrading tv and blu-ray player to 3D in near future...
You'll love it.
Old 09-09-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
They've done reissues, repackagings and box set bundlings of existing discs, but I also can't think of any double-dips with new content.

Considering Paramount's disinterest in physical media as a whole, the prospect of a double-dip seems like wishful thinking to me.
Sadly, you're probably right. Sigh. Guess the fans are never getting the version for which we're hoping.

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I pre-ordered the 3D set, but I'm very much interested in the IMAX version and the enhanced commentary. Since I have no interest in installing iTunes (or an easy way of streaming that to my tv at the moment), I'll just wait a couple of days and I'm sure both will be pirated by then. I'll have no bad feelings about this because, you know, making such extras exclusive to certain distribution methods is BULLSHIT.
I don't condone this feeling, but I totally understand it. The fans have been severely shafted, and any ill feelings they have towards Paramount about this are totally understandable.

Originally Posted by bootsy
You'll love it.
Sigh. I wish 3-D would go away, but alas, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I hate the future sometimes. Moan, grumble, bitch.
Old 09-09-13, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I don't know if it's considered a double dip but Transformers Dark of the Moon was first released barebones and then released in 3D with 3 hours of special features.
Old 09-09-13, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113

Sigh. I wish 3-D would go away, but alas, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I hate the future sometimes. Moan, grumble, bitch.
I don't get why people despise 3-D so much. No one is forcing you to watch it or buy any movie in 3-D. It's an option that's all.
Old 09-10-13, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Someone on Blu-Ray.com got an email from Paramount Germany regarding the aspect ratio of their release:

2.40:1 for all.
That was just in reference to the ratios, right? They weren't saying that the German version is lacking the special features that the standard US release lacks, correct?
Old 09-10-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

That's right.
Old 09-10-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for all the posts.. These helped me get a PM to FYE at Target on the 3D exclusive.... Got the Best Buy exclusives via Cinemanow (for $0.00)... Only thing lacking is IMAX ratio & commentary.... But for total $19.99 + tax for all that... U guys deserve appreciation...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.