Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Any site have all the different covers lined up? Fuck this extra shit, just gonna end up with best looking cover.
Old 09-01-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
That being said, this brings me to this question... For this "Enhanced Commentary" is the actual film going to 1.78 ("Imax"), or is it the supplemental material? If it's just the supplemental branching points, then everyone's lost their minds for nothing, since supplement are always created in a 1.78 aspect ratio.
That trekcore review has a screenshot of the movie going to 1.78:1.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/08/rev...etail-blu-ray/

Originally Posted by trekcore
There's only one bright spot out of this mess, and that's the Digital Download code included with the retail Blu-ray set. While you can use it with several online movie services, it's also compatible with iTunes, which means that it WILL give you access to the iTunes exclusive "enhanced commentary"... if your Internet connection can handle an additional 5Gb download.

I've already read comments around the web from people saying that they'll just play the commentary from their laptop while watching the Blu-ray on their big-screen television, but I've got news for you: the iTunes commentary is more than just an audio track - it's an entirely separate encoding of the film, with on-screen picture-in-picture annotations and behind-the-scenes footage. There's no additional scenes in this version of the film, but because the commentators often pause and rewind footage to highlight specific elements of production, the thing runs nearly thirty minutes longer than the standard film.

It's also the full 1.78:1 IMAX version of the film - something I already covered up above, missing from the Blu-ray disc - presented with shifting aspect ratio to provide the true IMAX-sized picture where applicable.
It sounds kind of like Warner's "Maximum Movie Mode."
Old 09-01-13, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That trekcore review has a screenshot of the movie going to 1.78:1.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/08/rev...etail-blu-ray/

It sounds kind of like Warner's "Maximum Movie Mode."
That slip cover is BAD ASS!
Old 09-01-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about us who don't have or use iTunes?
Old 09-01-13, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
What about us who don't have or use iTunes?
You don't get to use the iTunes digital copy...

What about those who don't have a 3D TV? They can't watch 3D.
Old 09-01-13, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Wait a second, I think I have a solution.

Couldn't Paramount offer these on BD-LIVE? All discs come with BD-LIVE still...right?
Old 09-01-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BD-Live... for something useful? You crack me up.
Old 09-01-13, 02:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

What is this BD-Live you speak of?
Old 09-01-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably no definitive answer yet, but I figured I'd ask, anyway.

That TrekCore article mentions the importance of the Digital Download code that comes with the Into Darkness Blu-ray. It says that the code will give you access to the iTunes commentary.

Does that mean you can download the commentary for free if you have the code? If you still have to pay $19.99 (for the HD version), then there would be no point in drawing special attention to the code in that context.

--THX
Old 09-01-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gizmo
And that doesn't seem unfair? Though granted, it might be a little more bearable if iTunes would let me put the damn thing on my USB stick rather than have vice-like DRM grip on my nuts.

Since I happen to think 3-D adds nothing to the film and is of no interest to me, I let that slide. Besides which, the 3-D version is out there if you do get a 3-D TV, and you don't have to get it exclusively online.

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Probably no definitive answer yet, but I figured I'd ask, anyway.

That TrekCore article mentions the importance of the Digital Download code that comes with the Into Darkness Blu-ray. It says that the code will give you access to the iTunes commentary.

Does that mean you can download the commentary for free if you have the code?
My assumption would be that it gives you full access to a digital copy and all of the extras it entails.

Wait a second, I think I have a solution.

Couldn't Paramount offer these on BD-LIVE? All discs come with BD-LIVE still...right?
Yes, that's right, use the consumer as beta-testers because you didn't put the product out correctly the first time!

I've already read comments around the web from people saying that they'll just play the commentary from their laptop while watching the Blu-ray on their big-screen television, but I've got news for you: the iTunes commentary is more than just an audio track - it's an entirely separate encoding of the film, with on-screen picture-in-picture annotations and behind-the-scenes footage. There's no additional scenes in this version of the film, but because the commentators often pause and rewind footage to highlight specific elements of production, the thing runs nearly thirty minutes longer than the standard film.
Oh, well isn't that just fucking special?!

It's also the full 1.78:1 IMAX version of the film - something I already covered up above, missing from the Blu-ray disc - presented with shifting aspect ratio to provide the true IMAX-sized picture where applicable.
So the only known 2-D version with the shifting ratios is the one that has the commentary with it. Way to go Paramount! If more filmmakers are going to start using IMAX, then it's important that home media formats learn how to release it properly too.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
No. The Target bonus disc is sort of an overview of the Marvel Phase I movies. The bonus disc in the briefcase set includes never-before seen bonus features from the six movies including Agent Coulson intros for all of the movies; about a half an hour's worth of deleted and extended scenes from IM, IM2, Thor, and Avengers; and animatic and pre-viz features.
Hmm. Sounds really cool. I'd totally be up for buying the Phase I boxed set if it didnt include the 3-D versions. I have no interest in them, and they're basically being forced down the throats of buyers who want the extra disc. Maybe Olof check eBay one of these days.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-01-13 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

I fail to see how this is new. Music artists occasionally release albums where different stores have different bonus tracks. I don't recall much "OMG, if the songs are recorded, every song must be on every CD" outcry.
Old 09-02-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

So, just to be certain, not even the German BD release is getting the movie with shifting aspect ratios?

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I fail to see how this is new. Music artists occasionally release albums where different stores have different bonus tracks. I don't recall much "OMG, if the songs are recorded, every song must be on every CD" outcry.
That actually pisses me off as well. And I know plenty of music fans that absolutely hate that shit. However, I don't recall any music album release doing it to the extreme this movie release is being done. And it's weird that they struck a master with shifting aspect ratios only to be utilized in a Maximum Movie Mode knockoff (that's download-only to boot).

In any case, I'd rather this not become a trend.
Old 09-02-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Also, it's plenty easy to download whatever missing exclusive track you want. Toss in in the ipod collection or burn a new cd.

Downloading missing movie features and culling them to burn onto disc is a little more involved and probably not worth the effort.
Old 09-02-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was trying to point out some very poor marketing decisions on Paramount's part, but whatever.
Old 09-02-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone getting the walmart exclusive with the model of the USS Vengence?

looks nice but is a bit expensive...

Last edited by Doctor Gonzo; 09-02-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That actually pisses me off as well. And I know plenty of music fans that absolutely hate that shit. However, I don't recall any music album release doing it to the extreme this movie release is being done.
Did you ever try completing a TRON: Legacy soundtrack? They made it damn near impossible, with exclusives literally all over the globe.
Old 09-02-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Did you ever try completing a TRON: Legacy soundtrack? They made it damn near impossible, with exclusives literally all over the globe.
I totally forgot about that. I actually opted out of the whole mess and never bought a single copy of the score. Quite a shame since it was a great score.
Old 09-02-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo

$39?

Mine.
Old 09-03-13, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Saw this in 2D yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Gonna grab the 3D next week at Target. Didn't see a ton of parts that would really be '3D' aside from the start, but eh, why not.
Old 09-03-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw this in 2D yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Gonna grab the 3D next week at Target. Didn't see a ton of parts that would really be '3D' aside from the start, but eh, why not.
The movie is a conversion, and it's clear that Abrams didn't shoot it with 3D in mind. His tight close-ups, shaky-cam and rapid editing aren't conducive to 3D at all. With that said, it's a decent conversion with a handful of decent 3D effects, such as the ships jumping to warp speed. The part where Kirk and Khan fly from ship to ship is also neat in 3D. For the most part, however, 3D isn't needed. The movie plays just as well or better in 2D.
Old 09-03-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I would like it but over the double the price plus tax than what I paid for the regular version from Amazon...I just don't think I can pull the trigger on it.

Maybe they will over order it and it will be a clearance item by Black Friday.
Old 09-03-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I don't think this has been posted yet, the exclusive content from the Best Buy edition is on CinemaNow right now and is available to anyone:

http://www.cinemanow.com/title/555743
Old 09-03-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It still cracks me up that picture claims that the replica is at 1:50 scale. Given how big that ship is supposed to be, that replica would be massive.
Old 09-03-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't think this has been posted yet, the exclusive content from the Best Buy edition is on CinemaNow right now and is available to anyone:

http://www.cinemanow.com/title/555743
Purchased this 30 minute special for $0 ... thanks for posting ... now to get my copy from Target hoping to PM FYE..
Old 09-03-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by b2net
Purchased this 30 minute special for $0 ... thanks for posting ... now to get my copy from Target hoping to PM FYE..
I can't seem to get past the part where it gives you a friendly reminder that the file is in HD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.