Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Still crap. That audio file had to originate as a generally used file. If it is more than audio it can still fit on there.
Old 09-13-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
let me get this straight - the itunes edition has the alternating aspect ratios... right?
Only for the "Enhanced Commentary" version. If you just want to watch the movie without the commentary, it's a constant 2.40:1.
Old 09-13-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
This is where I defer to someone who understands the technical aspect of this situation better than I do. I know we've had branching features in Blus before, but have any of them actually required the pausing of the film while the bonus feature carries on?
Warner's "Maximum Movie Mode" does this on discs including Watchmen, Terminator Salvation and Sherlock Holmes. The director can pause the movie, rewind a scene, or even shrink the image down to a picture-in-picture window and step out on camera to point to parts of the frame.
Old 09-13-13, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Warner's "Maximum Movie Mode" does this on discs including Watchmen, Terminator Salvation and Sherlock Holmes. The director can pause the movie, rewind a scene, or even shrink the image down to a picture-in-picture window and step out on camera to point to parts of the frame.
The trick probably is that Paramount generally does not seemless branching on their Blu-ray discs. Anchorman, The Dictator, Gladiator, Iron Man 2 and Rango are the only titles I can think off. (Every other title with an alternate cut is one version, such as Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, G.I. Joe: Retaliation (BB Exclusive) and the upcoming World War Z, where the 2D version is the extended/alternate cut only.)

I've also heard rumblings the branching commentary was not ready in time to be included on the disc, but I haven't confirmed it.

fitprod
Old 09-13-13, 05:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ok. What does that one have?

We really need to get a list going at to why has what? Goddamn this release.
Everything except the commentary.
Old 09-13-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

This shit reminds me of the old HD DVD versus BD days when BD players couldn't do PiP. Some features on BD actually had two separate encodes of the movie to "emulate" the PiP track on the HD DVD counterpart. Except, nonsense like that is no longer necessary since BD is perfectly capable of things like Maximum Movie mode. So saying that the "enhanced" commentary wouldn't fit is total bullshit.
Old 09-13-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Of those three examples, I own two and have only watched one. I have yet to explore the Maximum Movie Mode, but that's probably obvious through my ignorance of the technical allowances and limitations of the thing.

Originally Posted by fitprod
I've also heard rumblings the branching commentary was not ready in time to be included on the disc, but I haven't confirmed it.
That seems plausible. This indirectly reminded me of my freshman year of high school. One day, for whatever reason, almost none of us had done the previous night's algebra homework. I don't think there was anything special that night like a game to explain why so many of us were empty handed. It was a fluke.

Anyway, by the time the teacher got to me in his audit of who had done it, I decided that the least I could do was to try to get a laugh out of the ridiculousness of none of us having done the assignment. So when my turn came to admit I didn't have mine, either, I added that there must have been a rift in the space/time continuum. He awarded me partial credit for my originality.

I picture J.J. Abrams being at a convention somewhere and trying that defense to explain why no one could finish on time the commentary track for the Blu-ray Disc release of a billion dollar movie.
Old 09-13-13, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
One day, for whatever reason, almost none of us had done the previous night's algebra homework. I don't think there was anything special that night like a game to explain why so many of us were empty handed. It was a fluke.

Anyway, by the time the teacher got to me in his audit of who had done it, I decided that the least I could do was to try to get a laugh out of the ridiculousness of none of us having done the assignment. So when my turn came to admit I didn't have mine, either, I added that there must have been a rift in the space/time continuum. He awarded me partial credit for my originality.
Awesome.
Old 09-13-13, 10:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

even though both Clash and Wrath of the Titans could be stated as being flawed, both Maximum Movie Mode features are excellent and really give an astounding primer of filmmaking 101
Old 09-13-13, 10:47 PM
Banned by request

I think the Maximum Movie Mode stuff is great. I watched the one for Harry Potter 7A.
Old 09-14-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Universal's U-Control did this on Fast & Furious (2009) Blu ray with Paul Walker and Justin Lin.
Old 09-19-13, 03:38 AM
Banned by request

I got my German copy, but the digital copy code is locked to Germany. Is the iTunes commentary worth buying outright?
Old 09-19-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts

More importantly what about the Imax footage?
Old 09-19-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I got my German copy, but the digital copy code is locked to Germany. Is the iTunes commentary worth buying outright?
Dan, I don't use iTunes. You can have my code. Remind me and I'll email it to you later.
Old 09-19-13, 01:26 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

i have a code too, if anyone wants just pm...
Old 09-19-13, 02:11 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

my code is gone. thanks for playing!!
Old 09-19-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
More importantly what about the Imax footage?
That's what I want to know as well.
Old 09-19-13, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Dan, I don't use iTunes. You can have my code. Remind me and I'll email it to you later.
Thanks Josh, you're a pal!

As for the IMAX footage, no luck. It's consistently at 2.40:1 in the 3D transfer, which was the one rumored to have the shifting ratios. Both the 3D and 2D discs are listed as 2.40:1 on the packaging as well.

The extras listed on the 2D disc are "Creating The Red Planet", "Attack on Starfleet", "The Klingon Home World", "The Enemy of My Enemy", "Ship To Ship", and "Brawl By The Bay". Is that more than the US release has?

Edit: Crap, I just looked at Josh's review on HDD and it looks like that's actually less than the US release. This has got to be the worst major home video release in recent memory. I should have just picked up the ugly Target version.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-19-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 05:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That sucks, but thanks for taking one for the team. I was waiting for you to confirm the IMAX ratio shift, cause if it really did have it, I would have immediately ordered it. Alas...
Old 09-19-13, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

I did get the CinemaNow bonus features, so it's not a total loss. I could still get the Target 2D set if I really wanted, I suppose, and consolidate the US discs with the 3D German disc into the German packaging, which is less ugly than the Target one. Not sure if it's worth the hassle, though.
Old 09-19-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That sucks, but thanks for taking one for the team. I was waiting for you to confirm the IMAX ratio shift, cause if it really did have it, I would have immediately ordered it. Alas...
Ditto. The US 3D disc looks great but I really would have jumped on a version with shifting aspect ratios.
Old 09-19-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This has got to be the worst major home video release in recent memory. I should have just picked up the ugly Target version.
Paramount fucked up this whole thing royally, but to be fair, they did at least not mess with the film and present it in a nice transfer.
Old 09-20-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Paramount fucked up this whole thing royally, but to be fair, they did at least not mess with the film and present it in a nice transfer.
The transfer is beautiful but they still technically messed with it by not at least providing the option of a release with shifting aspect ratios.

But then given that the only time they offered a BD like that was a Walmart exclusive, I don't think Paramount likes shifting aspect ratios in general.
Old 09-20-13, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 123 Posts

I remember the firt one had IMAX scenes and was also constant ratio on blu like this one.
Old 09-20-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by b2net
I remember the firt one had IMAX scenes and was also constant ratio on blu like this one.
ST '09 may have been screened in IMAX but it seems that STID is the first in the franchise to actually be shot in IMAX: http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/A...1639/index.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.