Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Old 09-11-13, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Preorder Up (Fall 2013)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
What were the Target coupons included for? I have the sticker mentioning them on the case but didn't see any actual coupons on mine.
Five $2 coupons for World War Z, GI Joe Redemption, Hanzel and Gretel, Pain and Gain, and Jack Reacher. They should be underneath the shrinkwrap in the back of the case.
Old 09-11-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman007

Five $2 coupons for World War Z, GI Joe Redemption, Hanzel and Gretel, Pain and Gain, and Jack Reacher. They should be underneath the shrinkwrap in the back of the case.
Weird, I didn't get them. Oh well, it was doubtful I'd use them anyway.
Old 09-11-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Weird, I didn't get them. Oh well, it was doubtful I'd use them anyway.
Did you get the Target exclusive 3-disc GI Joe Retaliation? It was an insert on the slip cover. There should have been a sticker on the outside saying there was $8 of savings inside.

The coupons on mine included: Pain and Gain, Jack Reacher, Star Trek, Hansel and Gretel.
Old 09-11-13, 12:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My German version has shipped. I should have it next week.
Old 09-11-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did you get the Target exclusive 3-disc GI Joe Retaliation? It was an insert on the slip cover. There should have been a sticker on the outside saying there was $8 of savings inside.

The coupons on mine included: Pain and Gain, Jack Reacher, Star Trek, Hansel and Gretel.
No, I didn't buy GI Joe Retailiation nor am I talking about it. I was asking about the coupons referenced on the Star Trek packaging as being on the back.
Old 09-11-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The saga continues, huh? Is any of the exclusive bonus material actually worth the hunt?
Old 09-11-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,485 Posts

No, I didn't buy GI Joe Retailiation nor am I talking about it. I was asking about the coupons referenced on the Star Trek packaging as being on the back.
My bad. I misinterpreted what you were talking about.
Old 09-11-13, 01:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 861 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The saga continues, huh? Is any of the exclusive bonus material actually worth the hunt?
now, that is a good question...
Old 09-11-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
My bad. I misinterpreted what you were talking about.
No worries, I can see that I didn't make it clear what I was referencing in my post
Old 09-11-13, 03:12 PM

Personally I enjoyed the Target bonus disc.

Nothing fantastic, but I always enjoy watching behind-the-scenes footage with sets being built, costuming/make-up tests and applications, etc.

There was some fluff, but clips from the films are mostly kept to the end of each featurette to sort of highlight what was just being worked on and/or talked about.

Spoiler:
Nice to see footage of Leonard Nimoy coming in for his make-up, talking with Zachary Quintos, doing his scene, etc. Might be the last time he gets in the ears, so could be nostalgic to fans.
Old 09-11-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Picked up the Target 2D... I would've gotten 3D but they were gone. (Really irritating when they advertise products that are gone within hours)

I assumed the Itunes DC came with every copy, didn't look like it's an option looking at the insert.
Old 09-11-13, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
My German version has shipped. I should have it next week.
Ok. What does that one have?

We really need to get a list going at to why has what? Goddamn this release.
Old 09-11-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ok. What does that one have?

We really need to get a list going at to why has what? Goddamn this release.
Yeah, this is a colossal fuck-up on Paramount's part that doesn't look like it'll ever get fixed.

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Bill Hunt thinks so.
Old 09-11-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Despite his enthusiasm, the fact that the Target featurettes are still only between 3-5 minutes long each (one gets up to a whopping 9 minutes) makes it pretty clear that they were produced as part of the same EPK package and don't have enough time for more than a superficial glimpse at whatever each one's topic is.

Yes, maybe one is a slightly better 3-minute featurette than another 3-minute featurette, but I have a hard time getting excited about 3-minute featurettes.

YMMV.

Did HBO ever air a First Look special for this movie? All of these were probably carved up from that anyway.
Old 09-11-13, 10:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I wouldn't give Paramount credit that they intended to make an EPK package comprised of these small featurettes. Considering Star Trek has been one of their biggest properties ever, they could have easily made plenty of time to put together some kind of comprehensive package. I personally believe they have some RTF majors hired as interns to film 3-9 minutes of interviews at a time, then just use them sparingly for stuff like Comic-Con and these store "exclusives". Someone should ask people like Charles de Lauzirika what he thinks of this approach to documenting the making of movies in this manner. I'd be curious to know.
Old 09-11-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
CBS is no longer owned by Viacom, so the rights are now spread across two seperate companies.
I looked into this more. CBS owns the brand and the TV series, whereas Paramount retained just the movies and the rights to continue making new movies. As I recall, this corporate dysfunction was rumored to be a point of contention for J.J. Abrams throughout the development of this movie, feeling that not enough people who could have really gone all out to support it were doing so. Again, of course, that's simply one "unconfirmed report from an anonymous source" as best I know.

As for this movie, I think I've decided to just wait and see if anyone runs it cheap for Black Friday. I've already got the CinemaNow featurette thanks to this thread. Whenever I finally do get around to getting the Blu-ray, the iTunes DC should still be valid. And, truth be told, I'm more eager to see if I can find a tempting deal on the forthcoming TNG "Unification" Blu.

I wish Paramount would go ahead and hand over the movie series video rights to Warner with the rest of their catalog.
Old 09-12-13, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,875 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Don't know if others saw this, but here is a detailed look/review of the iTunes enhanced commentary track. Sucks that it's not included on the disc, but at least I'll have access to it on my iPad. Might make an interesting watch on my next plane flight, I suppose.
Old 09-12-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Despite his enthusiasm, the fact that the Target featurettes are still only between 3-5 minutes long each (one gets up to a whopping 9 minutes) makes it pretty clear that they were produced as part of the same EPK package and don't have enough time for more than a superficial glimpse at whatever each one's topic is.

Yes, maybe one is a slightly better 3-minute featurette than another 3-minute featurette, but I have a hard time getting excited about 3-minute featurettes.

YMMV.

Did HBO ever air a First Look special for this movie? All of these were probably carved up from that anyway.
I suppose we should be grateful that it's only two retailer exclusives. Again, it does at least partially come down to the principle of the thing, but since we can't do anything, the principle is academic. So naturally, in spite of my bitching, I'll probably eBay the Best Buy Canadian edition and the Target edition, if I can find the damn thing. Trekcore speaks well enough of them too. And Hunt has a rundown of it all.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I wouldn't give Paramount credit that they intended to make an EPK package comprised of these small featurettes. Considering Star Trek has been one of their biggest properties ever, they could have easily made plenty of time to put together some kind of comprehensive package. I personally believe they have some RTF majors hired as interns to film 3-9 minutes of interviews at a time, then just use them sparingly for stuff like Comic-Con and these store "exclusives". Someone should ask people like Charles de Lauzirika what he thinks of this approach to documenting the making of movies in this manner. I'd be curious to know.
He'd have nothing nice to say, I'm sure. If your bonus features are going to be so flimsy, at least put them all in one place. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in film talk about good making-of documentaries that give genuine insight into the filmmaking and production processes, but studios probably don't want the mainstream public to know what really goes on, especially when directors clash with producers and such.

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't know if others saw this, but here is a detailed look/review of the iTunes enhanced commentary track. Sucks that it's not included on the disc, but at least I'll have access to it on my iPad. Might make an interesting watch on my next plane flight, I suppose.
I'm still confused about this, does the Digital Copy code that comes with the discs give access to the iTunes extras and commentary or not? Is the commentary the only iTunes extra?
Old 09-12-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,875 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113

I'm still confused about this, does the Digital Copy code that comes with the discs give access to the iTunes extras and commentary or not? Is the commentary the only iTunes extra?
Right from that article linked above:

First off, let me reiterate that the enclosed redemption code will allow you to view the iTunes material at no additional cost. This has been proven in both the United States and in the United Kingdom (where the "Enhanced Commentary" only appeared on September 2, the film's UK release date). While I cannot yet confirm it, I also believe that it should work just fine for Canadian residents as well - but for anyone else looking for the iTunes features, you may need to wait until the Blu-ray is released in your country to access them (if available).

The biggest question people have been asking is, "Why isn't the commentary just on the Blu-ray itself? Why keep it separate?" While I don't have answers to explain the split distribution methods, it does appear that this commentary feature is not something that would fit on a standard Blu-ray disc with the original cut of the film.
So if you grabbed the free Best Buy Cinema Now extra and bought a Target version of the film, you have access to all the extras already and only had to buy the movie once. It's not as obnoxious as I originally thought.
Old 09-12-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Right from that article linked above:

So if you grabbed the free Best Buy Cinema Now extra and bought a Target version of the film, you have access to all the extras already and only had to buy the movie once. It's not as obnoxious as I originally thought.
Until Cinema Now decide to take it down, anyway. But yes, it does sound slightly less terrible. Still annoying, but the best we'll ever get, apparently.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-12-13 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

let me get this straight - the itunes edition has the alternating aspect ratios... right?
Old 09-13-13, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So wait. The commentary couldn't fit on the BD? Bullshit.
Old 09-13-13, 10:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

given how much "stuff" Criterion can cram on a 50-B disc - there is nothing that prevented Paramount from NOT putting everything on one disc - the release of this and the spreading out of all the extras makes me livid.
Old 09-13-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've wondered about this. The disc is used to syncing the audio track(s) with the visual of the film. Easy peasy. Except this commentary track doesn't actually sync with the film. I could see where the disc might run into a "does...not...compute...!" tantrum.

Of course, the counterargument is, whatever the iTunes file does that allows it to work should be able to work on a disc. This is where I defer to someone who understands the technical aspect of this situation better than I do. I know we've had branching features in Blus before, but have any of them actually required the pausing of the film while the bonus feature carries on?
Old 09-13-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

It sounds pretty similar to Warner's Maximum Movie Mode, so I'm sure however Warner does that, Paramount could have done for this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.