Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Old 07-30-13, 08:47 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,946
Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Has anyone confirmed that the Target bonus disc comes with the 3D version?
Old 07-31-13, 02:50 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

so wait, if you want the 'extended action version' you have to go to best buy
Old 07-31-13, 02:58 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,301
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
so wait, if you want the 'extended action version' you have to go to best buy
Yes, it's a Best Buy exclusive.
Old 07-31-13, 05:18 AM
  #79  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

And if you want the commentary, you have to get a regular version of the Blu-Ray? The commentary wasn't at least put on the DVD in the 2 pack?
Old 07-31-13, 05:34 AM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
And if you want the commentary, you have to get a regular version of the Blu-Ray? The commentary wasn't at least put on the DVD in the 2 pack?
No, Paramount puts stripped down DVD in the combo packs. They just include the movie.

fitprod
Old 07-31-13, 11:14 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,779
Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Don't fret over the commentary on the theatrical cut. It's terrible. It's basically just Chu and di Bonaventura watching the movie and describing where scenes were shot while they struggle to remember anecdotes about anything that might have happened on set. It's one of those classic "We had a lot of fun making this. So-and-so is such a great person to work with..." worthless commentaries.

There's no talk about the movie's creative development. No mention of the last-minute release delay from 2012 to 2013, the rewrites and reshoots, or the 3D conversion. Chu doesn't even get to talk about why he likes the G.I. Joe franchise or the point out the references to the original comic book that he put in the movie.

The commentary is tedious, and you're not missing anything without it.
Old 07-31-13, 11:15 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,779
Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by DJariya
Target version:

Disc 1: Feature Film (110 minutes)

Extras: Commentary Track, GI Joe Declassified featurettes and deleted scenes

Disc 2 (DVD):

Barebones Theatrical version of movie.

Disc 3:

Exclusive BD bonus disc with featurettes.
When you get a chance, can you tell us what the exclusive featurettes are and how long they run? Thanks.
Old 07-31-13, 11:58 AM
  #83  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,669
Received 956 Likes on 798 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

i didn't find the Metal Pak case at Walmart. which is just as well because i only was mildly amused with the movie and i got the BB exclusive action cut already.
Old 07-31-13, 12:15 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,437
Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
so wait, if you want the 'extended action version' you have to go to best buy
Or you can order it here.

But based on a post earlier in this thread, it seems the extended cut is just the rough cut of the movie, prior to one minor pickup and the 3D conversion, and doesn't amount to much. I'd wait 'til it's $10 or less.
Old 07-31-13, 12:43 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,132
Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Watched the extended cut last night. It was worth it for the Snake Eyes Jinx fight alone. The downtime at the bar with the Joes was good as well. The extra shots/recut of Cobra Commander arriving at the Fort was better than the theatrical.

As far as the deleted scenes, I wish the scene where Zartan receives a call from 'Rex' was left in, as well as the Snake Eyes (Storm Shadow) assassination.
Old 07-31-13, 04:17 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 23,089
Received 616 Likes on 443 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Steelbook as $30 at my walmart.

Extended Cut at BB was minus trade and save and a RZ $5 code for $10 was good enough for me.
Old 07-31-13, 04:22 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Is the Extended Edition at Best Buy some sort of limited thing until they run out? Or do they just offer that instead of the regular edition?
Old 07-31-13, 04:35 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,301
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is the Extended Edition at Best Buy some sort of limited thing until they run out? Or do they just offer that instead of the regular edition?
They have both versions at Best Buy.
Old 07-31-13, 04:49 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 13,293
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Doubt it'll be limited, or not like their "Nut Up or Shut Up" Edition of Zombieland.
Old 07-31-13, 06:33 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,258
Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

For anyone curious about the differences in cuts, the differences are shown here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=723200
Old 07-31-13, 07:08 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JeremyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,638
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by b2net
Has anyone confirmed that the Target bonus disc comes with the 3D version?
They have 3D editions with the bonus disc on pack - it's a 4-disc set for $27.99. However, you have to look at the back of the package to verify, as the front is the exact same as the regular Blu Ray set as far as I could tell - the listing on front says nothing about 3D. I was having trouble finding the regular Blu set as I could only find the 3D one, but found a stray copy up front on display.

I can't believe I missed that the extended cut is only at Best Buy. I would've rather had that than the extra Target disc. I guess I will wait for a price drop at BB and double dip. Argh.

Last edited by JeremyM; 07-31-13 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 07:29 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,538
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

I would like the steelbook but its not worth $30 to me. Hoping it is discounted in a few weeks.
Old 07-31-13, 08:32 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,946
Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by JeremyM
They have 3D editions with the bonus disc on pack - it's a 4-disc set for $27.99. However, you have to look at the back of the package to verify, as the front is the exact same as the regular Blu Ray set as far as I could tell - the listing on front says nothing about 3D. I was having trouble finding the regular Blu set as I could only find the 3D one, but found a stray copy up front on display.

I can't believe I missed that the extended cut is only at Best Buy. I would've rather had that than the extra Target disc. I guess I will wait for a price drop at BB and double dip. Argh.
Thanks.... when I went, I never thought to look at the back of the pack so I basically passed on the Target Exclusive Bonus disc... I also basically talked myself out of the Best Buy version (even after U&S) cause I really wanted the 3D set and didn't want to double/triple dip on the 2D theatrical.. so basically I got nothing yet..
Old 08-01-13, 12:15 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Willh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
Posts: 1,626
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

If anyone wants my code for free personalized dog tags have at it:

GONE (you're welcome!)

Last edited by Willh51; 08-01-13 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 12:37 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 1,244
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Willh51
If anyone wants my code for free personalized dog tags have at it:

hgfeq9pg

GiJoeDogTags.com
Thank you!
Old 08-01-13, 03:15 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,745
Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Tempted and like the artwork but then did not like the first movie and don't want to have a Channing Tatum movie in my collection.
Old 08-01-13, 03:23 AM
  #97  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,301
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Tempted and like the artwork but then did not like the first movie and don't want to have a Channing Tatum movie in my collection.
The Rock is the star of the sequel. Tatum's part is very small.
Old 08-01-13, 05:45 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Don't fret over the commentary on the theatrical cut. It's terrible. It's basically just Chu and di Bonaventura watching the movie and describing where scenes were shot while they struggle to remember anecdotes about anything that might have happened on set. It's one of those classic "We had a lot of fun making this. So-and-so is such a great person to work with..." worthless commentaries.

There's no talk about the movie's creative development. No mention of the last-minute release delay from 2012 to 2013, the rewrites and reshoots, or the 3D conversion. Chu doesn't even get to talk about why he likes the G.I. Joe franchise or the point out the references to the original comic book that he put in the movie.

The commentary is tedious, and you're not missing anything without it.
I still went and grabbed a copy of a regular BR disc with commentary to put in my set with the BB exclusive which came in the mail. Too much of a fan of commentary.

But stuff like that is still really annoying overall.
Old 08-01-13, 08:27 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,946
Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by JeremyM
They have 3D editions with the bonus disc on pack - it's a 4-disc set for $27.99. However, you have to look at the back of the package to verify, as the front is the exact same as the regular Blu Ray set as far as I could tell - the listing on front says nothing about 3D. I was having trouble finding the regular Blu set as I could only find the 3D one, but found a stray copy up front on display.

I can't believe I missed that the extended cut is only at Best Buy. I would've rather had that than the extra Target disc. I guess I will wait for a price drop at BB and double dip. Argh.
Thanks again. I made sure to catch the Target 3D exclusive before they were gone to get 3D and the 2D with all the special features and the Bonus Disc.... now I will wait and hope the Best Buy Extended Action Cut (which btw contains the theatrical as well but no commentary) drops in price to where with an U&S or some other sale it is cheap enough to care about the extra 12 minutes of inserted footage.. the collector in me wants it... but not at another $15....
Old 08-01-13, 09:58 AM
  #100  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by b2net
Thanks again. I made sure to catch the Target 3D exclusive before they were gone to get 3D and the 2D with all the special features and the Bonus Disc.... now I will wait and hope the Best Buy Extended Action Cut (which btw contains the theatrical as well but no commentary) drops in price to where with an U&S or some other sale it is cheap enough to care about the extra 12 minutes of inserted footage.. the collector in me wants it... but not at another $15....
how about for $10 ?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.